Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd April 2009, 23:30   #1
BHPian

Hyderabad-Nagpur-Pench-Kanha-1712Km in Linea Petrol

Finally I was on a long awaited road trip from Hyderabad to Kanha National Park over the Ugadi weekend.

Specifics
Car: Linea Petrol
Trip Distance:1712(return)
Fuel consumed:121Ltr
Milage; 15.28
Road Condition: Average, 4 laning in progress, 2 bad stretches of about 100Km
Route Taken : Hyderabad-Nirmal-Adilabad-Nagpur-Seoni-Nainpur-Kanha

There were three route’s which I could choose from, Hyderabad-Nirmal-Adilabad- Nagpur-Pench-Seoni- Kanha. There were 2 alternate routes, via Siddipet-Asifabad-Adilabad-Nagpur, and last one was asifabad- chandrapur-Nagpur. Since I was not too comfortable with the last two routes and there were no specifics I decided to go on NH7. The total trip one-way was 810Km. So I decided to take a break at Pench National park for a night on both forward as well as return journey.

The route I took was Hyderbad-Nirmal, Adilabad, Nagpur, Seoni, total distance covered was 656-1706. The road conditions pretty normal throughout the journey. I noticed that roads beyond Nirmal are pretty good, the first 110Km from hyderbad is fully 4- lane a little beyond Kamareddy after that the road becomes the old style NH, 2 lane broad ones. Once you cross Nirmal the 4-laning works start, though there are a lot of diversions on the road, most parts of the road are completed upto the AP border. Except for a few stretches between Adilabad and Nagpur road conditions are good.

The last good eating place was a AP Tourism Harita Restaurant which is open from 7AM. I think you will need to get into the Adilabad for any good restaurant/hotels as they are non-existent on the highway. There are 2 BP Dhaba’s a little after Adilabad, one is yet to open in April. After Adilabad there is a stretch which is extremely bad and is filled with craters, please watch out for it, if your car does not have good GC then, you are in for trouble. The last 80Km to Nagpur is 4 lane, you can make up for the time. I covered the distance between, Hyderbad to Nagpur in about 9 hours. Considering that my Linea is still in run-in I did not push the car beyond 2.5K RPM and ~85KMPH, that’s still good time.

The NH7 goes inside Nagpur city, to reach Pench National Park. Since it is a busy road, you loose time. There was an alternate Bypass road but did not take any chances since I was familiar with this one. Upto a place called Kamptee Cantonment the traffic is heavy, once you cross this place it is a breeze. I took a night break at Pench National Park. At Khwasa gate you need to go left on NH7 to Pench, total distance from NH to resort was 11Km. The total time taken from Napur to Pench was about 2 hours. So the first leg of the journey was about 11 hours.

Had a night stay at Kiplings Court resort run by MP Tourism. At Pench, I had a safari in the morning took the Linea which was not a real bad idea, plenty of birds there but very few mammals. BTW you can take your vehicle inside the National park, only restriction for diesel vehicles over 5 years old. Cost is 680 including guide fees, for both morning as well as evening. But it spoils the fun, a Gypsy is usually available for 1800/- for the same trip which can accommodate 6 adults.

Left Pench at 10 in the morning and the roads upto Seoni and beyond are great. There is a small way-side motel run by MP tourism about 55Km from Pench. From Seoni you need to hit Nainpur, the Nainpur road upto chiradongri is being four laned, and this was a nightmare, since it was a 25 day old car, I took it almost a crawl for the next 40KM this spoilt the trip for me. From Chiradongri the roads upto Kisli gate are just great. The distance between Pench to Kanha is about 210KM, I took about 4.30 hours to reach Kanha. But I need to add that on my way back most of the road was levelled and work is going on in full swing for 4 lane conversion.

Places to stay: All my bookings were with MP tourism, excellent tourism corporation I might add, unlike other state run operators these guys have very high standards at least at Pench and Kanha. At Pench stayed at MP Tourism, Kipling’s Court, excellent place for 2600/- a night AC room with all meals. If you prefer to stay in a cheaper place, Mp tourism has a Bison lodge motel on the highway. In fact it has 4 rooms, excellent for a night halt for 490Rs for double. It comes with a private garden and a great view, it was the only good restaurant I found on the way. I stayed at Baghira log huts in Kanha, its not for the faint hearted, we had a tiger visit us late evening and there was a kill in the morning. The rooms are all AC, and they arrange for all Safari’s and permits. Also, there are dorm accomodation's by MP tourism from 600-800, includes all meals excellent for the price and cleanliness. Service, food and general atmosphere at the a Government run resorts is possible. They are definitely better than the private resorts I looked in, definitely recommended for families. But please note there are a lot of private resorts available at both pench and Kanha.

Have added the best pictures I shot during this trip. Any questions/suggestions/corrections please feel free to contact.
Attached Thumbnails
Hyderabad-Nagpur-Pench-Kanha-1712Km in Linea Petrol-1.jpg  

Hyderabad-Nagpur-Pench-Kanha-1712Km in Linea Petrol-2.jpg  

Hyderabad-Nagpur-Pench-Kanha-1712Km in Linea Petrol-3.jpg  

Hyderabad-Nagpur-Pench-Kanha-1712Km in Linea Petrol-4.jpg  

Hyderabad-Nagpur-Pench-Kanha-1712Km in Linea Petrol-5.jpg  

Hyderabad-Nagpur-Pench-Kanha-1712Km in Linea Petrol-7.jpg  

Hyderabad-Nagpur-Pench-Kanha-1712Km in Linea Petrol-8.jpg  

Hyderabad-Nagpur-Pench-Kanha-1712Km in Linea Petrol-9.jpg  

Hyderabad-Nagpur-Pench-Kanha-1712Km in Linea Petrol-10.jpg  

Hyderabad-Nagpur-Pench-Kanha-1712Km in Linea Petrol-11.jpg  

Attached Images

Last edited by downsouth : 2nd April 2009 at 23:33.
Old 2nd April 2009, 23:44   #2
Senior - BHPian

Nice Pictures DS!
Awaiting more along with the Langurs!

Quote:
we had a tiger visit us late evening and there was a kill in the morning.
Any pictures of this event? Seems like you had a really good time at Kanha!

Awaiting real-time updates from you tomorrow at the Ghazal Meet!
Old 3rd April 2009, 00:23   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulsar56 View Post
Nice Pictures DS!
Awaiting more along with the Langurs!

Any pictures of this event? Seems like you had a really good time at Kanha!

Awaiting real-time updates from you tomorrow at the Ghazal Meet!
Hey,

I have a couple of pictures but none of the langurs partying on my car and No pics when the tiger showed up it was too dark. Everyone ran helter skelter, and I mean it. Man you would not believe the way a couple of guys ran after hearing the commotion, damn thinking about it makes me go . I will update you tom when we meet.
Old 3rd April 2009, 00:23   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Beautiful pictures. But you went on this trip with a temp. registered car? No problems at the state borders?
Old 3rd April 2009, 00:56   #5
BHPian

beautiful pics. which camera and lenses?

Cats have alluded me so far (in my visits to Bandipur, Madumalai, Nagarhole, Muthanga, Tholpetty, Jaldapara), may be Kanha can make me lucky. But too far from Bangalore!
Old 3rd April 2009, 01:10   #6
Senior - BHPian

Hi DS, Nice write-up with lots of good info. Great pics of beasts - including your red four-wheeled one. Sounds and looks like you had a lot of fun. The total km covered divided by the total litres gives a figure of 14.15 Kmpl. I was wondering about the different figure posted is it from your MFD?

Cheers,
Old 3rd April 2009, 10:12   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
Beautiful pictures. But you went on this trip with a temp. registered car? No problems at the state borders?
Yeah, I did not have a choice, never had a problem except at the toll booth guys would ask if it was a Taxi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arindamray View Post

Cats have alluded me so far (in my visits to Bandipur, Madumalai, Nagarhole, Muthanga, Tholpetty, Jaldapara), may be Kanha can make me lucky. But too far from Bangalore!
Using the very common, Nikon D40, 200mm Nikkor lens. Trust me on one thing buddy, if you want to really see tigers, pack your bags go to Bandhavgadh or Ranthambore. Nothing can beat those places. I tried my luck in the southern National parks but not much luck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravveendrra View Post
Hi DS, Nice write-up with lots of good info. Great pics of beasts - including your red four-wheeled one. Sounds and looks like you had a lot of fun. The total km covered divided by the total litres gives a figure of 14.15 Kmpl. I was wondering about the different figure posted is it from your MFD?

Thanks ravendra, it was a great a trip wifey and I enjoyed completely, the fuel used was for the total distance, but the milage was for the full trip, I had lost my way for about 100Km

Cheers,
Old 3rd April 2009, 10:30   #8
Senior - BHPian

Nice trip and pics downsouth. Eager to read your tiger story?

Abhi
Old 3rd April 2009, 10:38   #9
BHPian

Wow sighted Tiger. Lucky you, awaiting your tiger story.

How did you managed to drive a car with TR numbers. Didnt the Cops in nagpur stopped you?
Old 3rd April 2009, 10:46   #10
Senior - BHPian

Man, you saw the big cat? Awesome! I have never seen one in the wilderness so far. I have had fair share of rides in Bandipur and Nagarhole, but have never been so lucky so far.

Good to see that you took the Linea to the safari.
Old 3rd April 2009, 11:06   #11
BHPian

nice pictures chetan! i am sure the tiger must have been equally excited to see the 'linea'

must have got bored seeing the usual rides.lol

more when we meet in the evening.
Old 3rd April 2009, 12:12   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arindamray View Post

Then visit Bannerghata Park situated ~25 kms from Bangalore there big cats will will not elude you
Old 3rd April 2009, 12:36   #13
BHPian

Nice pics and report.
I guess you finished off that nagging run-in period in one shot!
It really takes some guts to go on those dirt tracks in a new car. Hope you did not have GC issues.

Can you clarify the mileage discrepancy? (Also AC%)
Also how was the overall driving experience, power / overtaking etc.
Old 3rd April 2009, 13:36   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akroy View Post
Nice trip and pics downsouth. Eager to read your tiger story?

Abhi
Thanks, Tiger story is really long but yes I will update soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shabahmad View Post
Wow sighted Tiger. Lucky you, awaiting your tiger story.

How did you managed to drive a car with TR numbers. Didnt the Cops in nagpur stopped you?
Got to see the Tiger thrice at Kanha, twice on safari, once near the resort.

Nope no cops stopped me, they were all interested in checking out the car interiors. No problems absolutely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepakhon View Post
Man, you saw the big cat? Awesome! I have never seen one in the wilderness so far. I have had fair share of rides in Bandipur and Nagarhole, but have never been so lucky so far.

Good to see that you took the Linea to the safari.
Trust me man, I have had nothing less than 15 trips to both bandipur and Nagarhole, no luck for me either. Frankly Bandipur is a joke of a National park.
Old 3rd April 2009, 14:07   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neotraveller View Post
Nice pics and report.
I guess you finished off that nagging run-in period in one shot!
It really takes some guts to go on those dirt tracks in a new car. Hope you did not have GC issues.

Can you clarify the mileage discrepancy? (Also AC%)
Also how was the overall driving experience, power / overtaking etc.
It was 100% AC, the discrepancy with Milage is actually my fault, I should have mentioned full route, I lost out near Seoni and headed up towards Jabalpur due to bad direction, lost about 114Km on the odo.

The roads inside the national park are very well maintained, not exactly the off-roading type. GC was an issue more on the Highway where there were craters. But overall I had to do the run-in else I drive very less inside the city .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajesh Rawal View Post
nice pictures chetan! i am sure the tiger must have been equally excited to see the 'linea'

must have got bored seeing the usual rides.lol

more when we meet in the evening.
Rajesh, I am sure the tigers were excited but not as much as our brothren, they were like kids atleast on the Highway. Yeah more when we catch up in the evening.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raihan View Post
Then visit Bannerghata Park situated ~25 kms from Bangalore there big cats will will not elude you
... I have had my fill, I used to stay in JP Nagar so you can image it was a 30 mins drive to bannergatta from home, its cheap and you will surely have sighting.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks