Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd April 2009, 18:04   #1
BHPian

White Water Rafting in Ganga - Rishikesh

Guys, i am here with my recent experience of doing white water rafting in Ganga's chilled water. Actually it was my second visit to Rishikesh and last time i went there in Jan 09.

Since i was getting bit bored and desperately wanted to go for a drive, Me and my all time partner for my trips Manish planned to visit Rishikesh for Rafting and we started planning it from Friday morning. Our plan didn't get finalized till 7:30 PM in evening and we were almost set to spend our weekend at home watching movies

But i was lucky as finally we planned to start on Friday at 10:30 PM in night and at after all the delay we were set to fly from South Ex petrol Pump by 11:00 PM. We were 4 guys, Manish (we had lot many trips with each other), Rasheed, Emdad and me. It was good fun to drive till Rishikesh since there was not traffic jam in between and we stopped at Mujaffar Nagar to have a tea. Guys let me tell you that its feels so great to have a cup of tea while you are on long drives in nights

We had second stop in Haridhwar at Ganga bridge to enjoy cold and night view of the holy river and finally we reached Rishikesh somewhere at 3:20 AM and we again had a cup to tea to relax since we were at our destination. We reached hotel at 3:50 AM so that we can take some rest and get ready for a nerve racking experience. We all were tired and immd after few min were on our beds. At 8:00 AM in morning we were out from our rooms to get the Raft booked. We didn't book the raft this time from Delhi as the trip got finalized at the last min. We had good negotiations with the local vendors who provide rafting services and we were lucky to book a raft at Rs 2500 for 4 guys which was for almost 26 KM.

I parked my car at the beach where our rafting was suppose to end and then this guy took us to Marine Drive (Start Point of the rafting) which is close to 26 KM ahead from Rishikesh on Rishikesh to Mana Road.

After all the delay in air filling in the raft and other briefing we finally were in water at 11:00 AM and the fun started. Water flow was good and we didn't require to put in more energy to move ahead. Soon after few mins only we were in front of the first Rapid which is been called by the name of the welcome rapid. it was very normal and then we reached to the second one where our guide suggested us to stand on the raft, it was difficult to balance as the water was forcing us to fall down.

In total we faced 16 good Rapids and it was great fun i must say. Finally we reached the cliff jump point from where we were suppose jump in water, initially it was scary and 2 out of us backed off

It was me and Rasheed who dared to jump in water from the cliff no explanations here, I was the first to jump and Rasheed followed me. below is the video:

I could not stop myself to jump again in water as it was the brilliant experience for me to jump from almost 20 - 30 feet into chilled water.

Finally we were out of water by 3:00 PM and had lunch at 3:30 PM. We started from Rishikesh at 4:00 PM and enjoyed driving all the way till home since weather was cool and it was raining cats and dogs. We were back in Delhi at 11:00 PM and i reached home after leaving my sweetheart ( My Car) in parking by 12:00 in night.

In total guys it was huge fun and i must say that one must have this experience once in life. I am anyway planning to be there after every one or two month
Old 3rd April 2009, 19:12   #2
Senior - BHPian

Is there a 26kms stretch too?Interesting!! I thought the longest was from Kaudiyala/shivpuri that was 14kms till Rishikesh Laxman Jhula.

BTW I couldnt see the attachments, is it only with me or is there something wrong there with the pics??
Old 3rd April 2009, 20:29   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deky View Post
Is there a 26kms stretch too?Interesting!! I thought the longest was from Kaudiyala/shivpuri that was 14kms till Rishikesh Laxman Jhula.

BTW I couldnt see the attachments, is it only with me or is there something wrong there with the pics??
Dude, Few people say its 26KM and few say it 22 KM from Marine Drive and as per my information, Kaudiyala is even more than Marine Drive. Kaudiyala is famous for The Wall rapid which has 90% possibilities for getting the raft upside down

I didn't attached the pics, you can find them at the below link:

Picasa Web Albums - Nick - White Water R...

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks