Team-BHP > Travelogues

Search this Thread
Old 6th April 2009, 16:06   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
Just to clarify - I would notice...! After all, I AM a true-blue Durga Pujo and Mishti Doi-loving Bong despite having migrated to New Delhi some 16-odd years ago from that city.
I am in a dillema. Your post made me realise something as I was having my lunch a short while ago.

I have grown up in Delhi (15 Long Years) and then Kolkata 10 Years.

then 1 Year in Hyderabad and few months in Bangalore.

I am at Hyderabad right now and not feeling like leaving, so stayed an extra day, JLT (just like that) and then I am missing Bangalore and every now and then I wish I could settle at Delhi. ..phew better leave it on fate.

I love and miss all the cities equally. The love for them are like faintly your 'hate-love' feelings for your ex-girlfriends (best explained that way, so no out of the way inferences meant).

Today I will say I miss Delhi the most, tomorrow it will be Hyderabad and so on. But Kolkata has the unexplainable and untouchable warmth, no matter how much I swear at the traffic, the autos, the michils, and etc. etc.

Is it because of parents, relatives, neighbours, friends, I dont know. is it because of the linguistic ease, the frugality that people follow, or the roads and streets I know that help me escape a jam? Is it because of the beautiful women? Is it because of Southern Avenue (where not an evening I miss going)

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaronikar View Post
As usual, BT, your travelogue is good to watch and good humor too. Your captions are nice. BTW, you have posted so many pics of the persons, hope they do not mind it.

Thanks.

No they won't mind.

I checked and made sure that they were not registered with T-BHP in the first place.

On a serious note, my captions did not intend to ridicule anyone, only that I had to use some pseudo-names, typical of Kolkata Standards.

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team : Please use the "edit" button if posting within 15 minutes of the first post, instead of creating another back-to-back post

Also use "Multi Quote" option for quoting Multiple posts.

Last edited by Jaggu : 6th April 2009 at 21:17. Reason: back to back posts, use EDIT!
Old 6th April 2009, 16:18   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by btirthankar View Post
Thanks.

No they won't mind.

I checked and made sure that they were not registered with T-BHP in the first place.

On a serious note, my captions did not intend to ridicule anyone, only that I had to use some pseudo-names, typical of Kolkata Standards.
TB: I loved the pseudo-names and subtle/dry homour that you are trying to project through these images. I have always have had more of an hate relationship than love with Kolkata. I have had similar feeling with Chennai as you have with Kolkata (as per your previous post). Hated the city when stayed but miss now when I'm out it.

Anyways enough of rambling. Seeing these pictures, feel like staying in Kolkata for a few years to experience the typical "Thaa Bengali" (Copying from predatorwheelz) and their lifestyle.
Old 6th April 2009, 16:19   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I am in a dillema. Your post made me realise something as I was having my lunch a short while ago.
Quite some years ago, after I moved to Delhi and before Delhi grew on me, I had a similar dilemma as yours. But over the years I've come to realise that the two cities have their specified places in my life. Delhi is better to live and work in, while Kolkata is great for the good times, good food (not that Delhi has a poorer offering in gastronomic terms) and adda with friends I grew up with. So I am quite happy to live in Delhi and let nostalgia take me back to Kolkata once or twice a year to catch up on what I was missing.

In fact, I'd always hated the jostling crowds of Kolkata, and just to avoid that, never went there during Durga Puja. Last year, I finally did - ploughed right into the crowd and had fun like and with my 10-y.o. daughter. Why? Because the nostalgia of Kolkata's Durga Puja finally caught up with me after so many years. Here's a link to all the photos from that trip:
Durga Puja in Kolkata, 2008 pictures, photos, and videos, from india on webshots
Old 6th April 2009, 16:26   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
I have had similar feeling with Chennai as you have with Kolkata (as per your previous post).
By the way I must add, I have stayed in Chennai for 4 Years and miss that too! Especially places like Kodambakam, areas around the Gemini flyover and the Marina Beach. I discovered that the house I was staying in 28 years ago is still the same.

I also stayed in Agra for 2 years (1984-85) and wierdly enough once during my Hyderabad-Delhi NonStop 38 Hours Road Trip, I entered Agra City just to see my the house (that I stayed during those days) at 3.00 am in the morning. It was intact and unchanged. The chowkidars were suspicious though - why a WB Registered Astra going round and round there at 3am in the morning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
Quite some years ago, after I moved to Delhi and before Delhi grew on me, I had a similar dilemma as yours. But over the years I've come to realise that the two cities have their specified places in my life. Delhi is better to live and work in, while Kolkata is great for the good times, good food (not that Delhi has a poorer offering in gastronomic terms) and adda with friends I grew up with. So I am quite happy to live in Delhi and let nostalgia take me back to Kolkata once or twice a year to catch up on what I was missing.

In fact, I'd always hated the jostling crowds of Kolkata, and just to avoid that, never went there during Durga Puja. Last year, I finally did - ploughed right into the crowd and had fun like and with my 10-y.o. daughter. Why? Because the nostalgia of Kolkata's Durga Puja finally caught up with me after so many years. Here's a link to all the photos from that trip:
Durga Puja in Kolkata, 2008 pictures, photos, and videos, from india on webshots
It happens. The roots pull You.

If you are lucky enough to have a travelling job, you can beat the city-blues, or else earn enough to splurge on air-tickets.

Requesting you to post those DP pictures at the specific thread too: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...elsewhere.html

By the way I cannot explain how much I miss Chittaranjan Park (esp during DP)

Last edited by Jaggu : 6th April 2009 at 21:17. Reason: back to back post
Old 8th April 2009, 12:48   #20
BHPian

Southern Avenue Special

Southern Avenue Special

These pictures may have many wanting to rush back to Kolkata, just to savor the flavors I have tried to depict.
Attached Thumbnails
Kolkata Photoblog 2009-slide1.jpg  

Kolkata Photoblog 2009-slide2.jpg  

Kolkata Photoblog 2009-slide3.jpg  

Kolkata Photoblog 2009-slide4.jpg  

Kolkata Photoblog 2009-slide5.jpg  

Kolkata Photoblog 2009-slide6.jpg  

Kolkata Photoblog 2009-slide7.jpg  

Kolkata Photoblog 2009-slide8.jpg  

Kolkata Photoblog 2009-slide9.jpg  

Kolkata Photoblog 2009-slide10.jpg  

Kolkata Photoblog 2009-slide11.jpg  

Kolkata Photoblog 2009-slide12.jpg  

Kolkata Photoblog 2009-slide13.jpg  

Kolkata Photoblog 2009-slide14.jpg  

Kolkata Photoblog 2009-slide15.jpg  

Kolkata Photoblog 2009-slide16.jpg  

Kolkata Photoblog 2009-slide17.jpg  

Kolkata Photoblog 2009-slide18.jpg  

Kolkata Photoblog 2009-slide19.jpg  

Kolkata Photoblog 2009-slide20.jpg  

Old 8th April 2009, 12:55   #21
Senior - BHPian

you are in love with VP and S.Ave for sure i love my para too but posting pics will make Maneka Gandhi run after my life.
Old 8th April 2009, 13:33   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet_rocker View Post
you are in love with VP and S.Ave for sure i love my para too but posting pics will make Maneka Gandhi run after my life.
These places are one of the very few places I have ever seen where you get peace, tranquility with no one to disturb and time stands still and be one with nature.
Old 8th April 2009, 14:56   #23
BHPian

basu..

have you clicked any pictures taking the boat ride on the hoogly(e.g: pic of passing under the bridge,kolkata skyline from the river etc)

have been to kolkata only once in my life(as yet) last year and that is one thing i missed out (boat ride)

it was more of going to places like tangra,badshah rolls ,flurry's , some eating joint adjacent to flurry's,punjab calcutta club and a couple of pubs (sheesha and venom) for me

had been to the south city mall (good one) and some place called gariahat for shopping.( i think you have captured those in this photoblog)

infact i was sharing this photoblog with a friend of mine whose gonna be there last week april for a wedding.not sure the places you've captured would interest her though
Old 8th April 2009, 16:59   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajesh Rawal View Post
basu..

have you clicked any pictures taking the boat ride on the hoogly(e.g: pic of passing under the bridge,kolkata skyline from the river etc)

have been to kolkata only once in my life(as yet) last year and that is one thing i missed out (boat ride)

it was more of going to places like tangra,badshah rolls ,flurry's , some eating joint adjacent to flurry's,punjab calcutta club and a couple of pubs (sheesha and venom) for me

had been to the south city mall (good one) and some place called gariahat for shopping.( i think you have captured those in this photoblog)

infact i was sharing this photoblog with a friend of mine whose gonna be there last week april for a wedding.not sure the places you've captured would interest her though

First of all I am amazed by your knowledge of the happening and worth visit places.

I never had the chance to take that "chingari koi bharke" boat ride.

However the fact may interest you that they are available for 250/hr and in complete privacy you can cuddle up with your partner
Old 8th April 2009, 17:58   #25
BHPian

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...tml#post886409

Reminds me of this post which captures the bridge.
Old 9th April 2009, 09:30   #26
BHPian

'Slumdog Millionaire' Special

Good and Bad go side by side.

Don't get perturbed by the following images. I tried to do my part in improving things by taking these photos and sending to the KMC, only to realize that there were vested interests allowing this mess to continue.
Attached Thumbnails

Kolkata Photoblog 2009-slide15.jpg  

Kolkata Photoblog 2009-slide16.jpg  

Kolkata Photoblog 2009-slide17.jpg  

Kolkata Photoblog 2009-slide18.jpg  

Kolkata Photoblog 2009-slide19.jpg  

Kolkata Photoblog 2009-slide20.jpg  

Last edited by btirthankar : 9th April 2009 at 09:40. Reason: attachment missed
Old 9th April 2009, 09:43   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Good and Bad go side by side.

Don't get perturbed by the following images. I tried to do my part in improving things by taking these photos and sending to the KMC, only to realize that there were vested interests allowing this mess to continue.
TB: I absolutely agree with you. Despite being a bong hate visiting Kolkata because of the lack of improvement and development all around. Somehow I feel that the day doesn't want to get developed and embrace change.
Old 30th April 2009, 13:22   #28
BHPian

updated

some more updates lately
Attached Thumbnails

Old 3rd May 2009, 09:35   #29
BHPian

@btirthankar as i said in earlier in the 2008 blog awsome pics and even awsome captions, it's like the pictures itself tell a story gr8 job
Old 21st August 2009, 14:19   #30
BHPian

Kolkata Photoblog Q2 & Q3

I present Kolkata Photoblog Q2 & Q3
Attached Thumbnails