Team-BHP > Travelogues

Search this Thread
Old 21st April 2009, 20:11   #106
BHPian

Mindblowing. I guess all these adjectives are becoming cliche when it comes to your travelogues.

I had always wanted to drive to these places but never managed to gather the courage. Your travelogues have been a real inspiration and I am emboldened now. Will discuss a few routes with you after I get back to Kolkata.
Old 21st April 2009, 22:33   #107
BHPian

Simply Superb!

adc Sir, I became a fan of yours when you posted the Orissa forests travelogue. In that you showcased some untouched forests and places, which really were mind boggling.

This travelogue has set a benchmark in writing travelogues in TBHP. You have made us experience your journey with such beautiful pics and write up that it's been a sheer pleasure to go through your travelogue The snow-capped mountains, the frozen waterfalls, the tough roads, the tougher army vehicles and the toughest being your indomitable spirit of travelling in such adventurous and treacherous roads with your family. Hats off to you sir!

Lastly would like to thank you for being so modest for saying "thanks much for letting me relive the experience again through sharing with you all". Lately, have witnessed (though not personally) quite a few criticisms, arguments, unpleasant comments, brainstorming (which felt more like knowledge show-off) between members here and none has been as modest as you.

Thanks once again for the awesome travelogue! You Rock!
Old 22nd April 2009, 12:25   #108
BHPian

ADC,
Awesome & thanks for sharing all the details. I am sure that your posts would tempt/motivate others to travel for places like these and write travelogues like these as well.

~Gops
Old 23rd April 2009, 12:58   #109
Senior - BHPian

adc this is a seriously brilliant log something akin to discovery of india. Thanks for posting and god bless you and your family so we could see such trips in the future too.

On a lighter note you and jay have made me get sold on the safari. Now i realise who is the king on the road:-)
Old 23rd April 2009, 23:28   #110
adc
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
Speechless at the vivid scenes and jealous of you. 8-P
Ah! Sudev sir, let me mention the 80k km done in 18 months narration, and still call it short-term and the offroading exotic thread - wonderful thread that one. Do visit N Sikkim once, it sure is exotic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
Whatever I say will be a repetition of all that has been said! All the superlatives have been used up!
Quote:
Originally Posted by saleem_k View Post
adc Sir, I became a fan of yours when you posted the Orissa forests travelogue. In that you showcased some untouched forests and places, which really were mind boggling.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gops View Post
ADC,Awesome & thanks for sharing all the details. I am sure that your posts would tempt/motivate others to travel for places like these and write travelogues like these as well.~Gops
Quote:
Originally Posted by maddy42 View Post
adc this is a seriously brilliant log something akin to discovery of india. Thanks for posting and god bless you and your family so we could see such trips in the future too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captdey View Post
ADC. I am spellbound, nothing to say more .
Superb location , fantastic photographic ideas. * we will have Garia meet sometime. Cheers
Thanks again all, as said, Sikkim surely one has to visit to go through the real experience. Capt Dey, do PM me when you are in Kolkata again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saurabh M View Post
Will discuss a few routes with you after I get back to Kolkata.
Sure we will.
Old 24th April 2009, 01:03   #111
BHPian

Hi, great to see all the wonderful pics. This travelogue brings back fond memories of my trips to sikkim. Been there twice. Not in my own ride though. Was in lachung for about 14 days once and the other time around managed to go to gurudongmar. Even managed to reach tso lhamo. Absolutely breathtaking expanse of crystal clear cold blue water at those heights. Will try to post my pics of that place.
The one pic that evoked the most memories though was of Zeku Phayak. Spent 4 cold unforgettable nights there.
Old 24th April 2009, 09:47   #112
adc
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvldvr View Post
The one pic that evoked the most memories though was of Zeku Phayak. Spent 4 cold unforgettable nights there.
North Sikkim 14 days is a whole lot of time and next time I am really looking forward to a much greater days over there to cover Tso lhamu and Yumesamdong - but have to go in clearer weather times.

Seeing your profile of "defence" and Zeku, and "4 cold unforgettable nights there" , you sure do have some interesting stories of your own. Do put down some of those defence stories.
Old 24th April 2009, 14:21   #113
Distinguished - BHPian

ADC! Did you ever feel the need for 4WD at any point? You ran this entire course on stock tyres. Really giving me the motivation to do it and not cry about not having a modern 4wd.
Old 24th April 2009, 14:42   #114

Wow

Dude,

AWESOME !!!! I went to Sikkim last year and man your snaps bring back memories, too much. you are an inspiration.

Thanks for the awesome pics,

Cheers,

Plugugly

96 Tata Safari EX 4X4 but no comparison to your trip.

Looking forward to more of your writings
Old 24th April 2009, 21:59   #115
adc
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
ADC! Did you ever feel the need for 4WD at any point? You ran this entire course on stock tyres.
Of course, we all know who doesnt want a 4wd. These are 2-tonne SUVs and even in just manageable 2wd situations it is better to shift to 4wd to have less stress on the machine.

From Satkosia to Lahaul/Spiti to Sunabeda to Sikkim, in all the journeys I have been lucky no. of times but one thing is that as I push the VTT in the tough situations, I sure do strain the clutch and rearwheels and it components.

Stock tyres take a big beating when you do rock-gravel road travel at 40-50-60 kph speed. The Bridgestone tyres of VTT-TMT have quite a few superficial tiny cuts on the sidewall, which pose still now no danger and one front tyre with a somewhat bulge/cut but not too deep that happened when we ran out of Chopta valley at full speed over rocks.

It makes infinitely better sense to change over to AT tyres as soon as you get the vehicle. H/T tyres will fail/develop cuts on the sidewall during mountain travel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by plugugly View Post
96 Tata Safari EX 4X4 but no comparison to your trip.
Do post quite a few pics of your '98 EX 4wd on the Safari pics thread or more better if you have a LTOR on that. Most of us do like the old school stye of twin headlights.

Last edited by adc : 24th April 2009 at 22:07.
Old 24th April 2009, 22:13   #116
BHPian

Fantastic Travelogue Adc, loved all the photos.
Old 27th April 2009, 13:24   #117
adc
Senior - BHPian

whaTTTTT!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by adc View Post
Some pics already have been posted and a couple of more are there. Let me put all the pics together of the trucks and Army men.Attachment 126729

Can someone please clarify where this soldier's legs gone on this photo before I start imagining things or go for a drink.

The picture was taken by my wife, kept at exposure bracketing due to the overcast clouds so there were 3 snaps for every click, and the remaining pictures also show no LEGS!!!! The camera is Canon S3 IS. Attaching other 2 pics, and a couple of more are also there with no legs!

Is this something I am thinking too much or is this a flying waving soldier-baba with no legs!

Safari Dicor2.2 VTT-TMT 1.5year Grand OT[Extreme-Exclusive N Sikkim&Mandarmoni/Tajpur-img_1732e.jpg
Safari Dicor2.2 VTT-TMT 1.5year Grand OT[Extreme-Exclusive N Sikkim&Mandarmoni/Tajpur-img_1733.jpg
Safari Dicor2.2 VTT-TMT 1.5year Grand OT[Extreme-Exclusive N Sikkim&Mandarmoni/Tajpur-img_1738.jpg

PS: Though 100% sure I am sensationalizing this thing, but could not hold myself and thus still posted at the risk of finding myself silly!!

Last edited by adc : 27th April 2009 at 13:34.
Old 27th April 2009, 13:39   #118
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by adc View Post
Can someone please clarify where this soldier's legs gone on this photo before I start imagining things or go for a drink.

The picture was taken by my wife, kept at exposure bracketing due to the overcast clouds so there were 3 snaps for every click, and the remaining pictures also show no LEGS!!!! The camera is Canon S3 IS. Attaching other 2 pics, and a couple of more are also there with no legs!

Is this something I am thinking too much or is this a flying waving soldier-baba with no legs.
PS: Though 100% sure I am sensationalizing this thing, but could not hold myself and thus still posted at the risk of finding myself silly!!
adc, too much of mind activity

That soldier baba is perched atop the small rock , he is sitting on that rock with folded legs
Old 27th April 2009, 13:51   #119
Distinguished - BHPian

Oh yeah....hehehe...man, but it was just so realistic...I was wondering if he was a *holy ghost* making a strange appearance...
Old 27th April 2009, 14:13   #120
adc
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
adc, too much of mind activity

That soldier baba is perched atop the small rock , he is sitting on that rock with folded legs
Hey thanks, this been troubling me since morning and that too with less work today, it was having a bad mental effect!

And sure that must be it - the perched guard rock does merge with the background - anyway some before and after pics of that group photo - And still to make it sinister

The tin shed seen at the side, is in memory of Subedar Dundappa B Akki who died of heart attack on 22 Aug, 1987. This place is a typical steep U-turn that one finds at 13k feet height at Zekuphyak.
Attached Thumbnails
Safari Dicor2.2 VTT-TMT 1.5year Grand OT[Extreme-Exclusive N Sikkim&Mandarmoni/Tajpur-img_1729e.jpg  

Safari Dicor2.2 VTT-TMT 1.5year Grand OT[Extreme-Exclusive N Sikkim&Mandarmoni/Tajpur-img_1802e.jpg  

Safari Dicor2.2 VTT-TMT 1.5year Grand OT[Extreme-Exclusive N Sikkim&Mandarmoni/Tajpur-img_1735.jpg  

Last edited by adc : 27th April 2009 at 14:32.

Most Viewed