Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th April 2009, 15:32   #31
Senior - BHPian

Dada, I am not going to comment on the pictures, because they truly speak for themselves and no words can do justice.

what really blows my mind is the capability of the 4x2 safari. Onelook at these pictures and the only thing that comes to mind is - 4x4 territory. I am sure that a large credit goes to your driving abilities also, not to mention your courage and cofidence to take this beast on roads where 4x4 seems to be a necessity.

i drive a 4x2 safari as well and have never dared to take it to slushy places for fear of bogging down. Your travels are an eye opener about the capabilities of this magnificent beast!

keep touring!!
Old 15th April 2009, 15:45   #32
BANNED

Truly speechless.

What a travelogue, mindblowing pics.

And icing on top a 2WD Safari in all places where a 4WD should be.

Adc, truly amazing. keep them coming.
Old 15th April 2009, 15:59   #33
adc
Senior - BHPian

At Tsongmo Lake - Part 3 pictures - Last set

At Tsongmo Lake - Part 3 pictures - Last set

Snow, the yak, and the walk to the other side
Safari Dicor2.2 VTT-TMT 1.5year Grand OT[Extreme-Exclusive N Sikkim&Mandarmoni/Tajpur-img_0660.jpg
Safari Dicor2.2 VTT-TMT 1.5year Grand OT[Extreme-Exclusive N Sikkim&Mandarmoni/Tajpur-img_0693.jpg
Safari Dicor2.2 VTT-TMT 1.5year Grand OT[Extreme-Exclusive N Sikkim&Mandarmoni/Tajpur-img_0725.jpg

Weather was turning for worse and we went to one of the shacks to have hot noodles
Safari Dicor2.2 VTT-TMT 1.5year Grand OT[Extreme-Exclusive N Sikkim&Mandarmoni/Tajpur-img_0768.jpg
Safari Dicor2.2 VTT-TMT 1.5year Grand OT[Extreme-Exclusive N Sikkim&Mandarmoni/Tajpur-img_0782.jpg

After that we lingered for as much time more, and then started the return journey - stopped at Kyongnosla Waterfall on descent
Safari Dicor2.2 VTT-TMT 1.5year Grand OT[Extreme-Exclusive N Sikkim&Mandarmoni/Tajpur-img_0886.jpg
Safari Dicor2.2 VTT-TMT 1.5year Grand OT[Extreme-Exclusive N Sikkim&Mandarmoni/Tajpur-img_0879.jpg
Safari Dicor2.2 VTT-TMT 1.5year Grand OT[Extreme-Exclusive N Sikkim&Mandarmoni/Tajpur-img_0888.jpg
Safari Dicor2.2 VTT-TMT 1.5year Grand OT[Extreme-Exclusive N Sikkim&Mandarmoni/Tajpur-img_0881.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
Safari Dicor2.2 VTT-TMT 1.5year Grand OT[Extreme-Exclusive N Sikkim&Mandarmoni/Tajpur-img_0902.jpg  

Old 15th April 2009, 16:55   #34
Senior - BHPian

ADC, I'm left speechless after seeing your pictures. The more I see your travelogues, the more my list of places to see increases.
Old 15th April 2009, 17:37   #35
BHPian

Your Pic's

I am going to add a comment on ADC’s pictures, today 15th April, I am sitting in Gurgaon 43.5C is temp. here, and on seeing your pics A cold rush goes inside and I feel a chill and then coolness of Calm.
That’s what your Travelogues do to me, simply put MAGIC!
Thank you ADC
Regards

Note from support team: Post edited. Henceforth please remove font/size/colour tags before posting.
Old 15th April 2009, 18:42   #36
BHPian

Simply Superb... Choke juriye gelo. (my eyes got satishfied)
Old 15th April 2009, 19:47   #37
Senior - BHPian

ADC,

Speechless!

Absolutely nothing that can describe the photos. The photos are a tribute to the beauty in our country! You are taking the Safari to its limits and with a smile while at it!

Not sure anyone else would follow your footsteps unless it is a trended path! And that too with a kid! Definitely not me! Even if I was as "crazy" as this, my wife will surely tie me down and call the psychologist!!!

Man, you are great!
Old 15th April 2009, 19:56   #38
Senior - BHPian

Magical, stunning, remarkable awe inspiring and staggeringly beautiful.
Old 15th April 2009, 20:29   #39
Distinguished - BHPian

Hats off - clapping for your persistence in getting permits and then driving there despite inclement weather.
Old 15th April 2009, 22:04   #40
Distinguished - BHPian

Jaadu in Ice?

Fantastic pics and narration, ADC. Just noticed you met the frozen Jaadu there, only you placed the pic the wrong way. A correction and re-upload of your pic below...
Attached Thumbnails
Safari Dicor2.2 VTT-TMT 1.5year Grand OT[Extreme-Exclusive N Sikkim&Mandarmoni/Tajpur-img_0828.jpg  

Old 15th April 2009, 23:53   #41
adc
Senior - BHPian

Rumtek Monastery

After a very productive and absolutely enchanting trip to Tsongo Lake, with the rains still intermittent, I also thought of giving a day's break before I pester the Sikkim Police again - now for the much tougher 3-4 days N Sikkim permits. Also had some work and really the Airtel Datacard did help me execute some very important work sitting there in the Gangtok hotel.

After a late rise in the morning, planned to cover the Rumtek Monastery, Rankha and Banjhakri Falls - all nearby places around Gangtok. Rankha we did not cover since we had seen the best of the monastery over there [Rumtek] and also wanted to spend the evening hours at the Park so that the child can also enjoy and we too can relax at the coffee stall without much hurry to leave or get up.

Enroute to Rumtek, a beautiful nursery - The Be-Yul Nursery. They even have good accomodation out here among the flowers.
Safari Dicor2.2 VTT-TMT 1.5year Grand OT[Extreme-Exclusive N Sikkim&Mandarmoni/Tajpur-img_0930.jpg
Safari Dicor2.2 VTT-TMT 1.5year Grand OT[Extreme-Exclusive N Sikkim&Mandarmoni/Tajpur-img_0941.jpg

The owner invited us inside and showed some of the rare orchids
Safari Dicor2.2 VTT-TMT 1.5year Grand OT[Extreme-Exclusive N Sikkim&Mandarmoni/Tajpur-img_0939.jpg

Outside a monk was preparing some mud for prayers
Safari Dicor2.2 VTT-TMT 1.5year Grand OT[Extreme-Exclusive N Sikkim&Mandarmoni/Tajpur-img_0940.jpg

Quote:
RUMTEK MONASTERY: Rumtek monastery or Dharma_Chakra_Centre is located at 24 kilometers away from Gangtok,East Sikkim. The Monastery is the seat of the Karmapa Kagyu lineage outside Tibet. The main monastery is surrounded by the monks dormitory. Roof peak of the monastery is comprised of four storied golden sculpture, known as ghanzira. Inside, the monastery is the paintings of the Kagyu lineage, the eight great Bodhisattvas, the sixteen Arhats, the Genduk Chogngi etc.

Behind the Rumtek Monastery is the Karma Shri Nalanda Institute of higher Buddhist studies. Karma Shri Nalanda Institute was founded to preserve and propagate the noble teachings of the Lord Buddha, particularly the Kagyu tradition of Mahayana Buddhism.
Rumtek Monastery & Karma Shri Nalanda Institute
Safari Dicor2.2 VTT-TMT 1.5year Grand OT[Extreme-Exclusive N Sikkim&Mandarmoni/Tajpur-img_0954.jpg
Safari Dicor2.2 VTT-TMT 1.5year Grand OT[Extreme-Exclusive N Sikkim&Mandarmoni/Tajpur-img_0955.jpg
Safari Dicor2.2 VTT-TMT 1.5year Grand OT[Extreme-Exclusive N Sikkim&Mandarmoni/Tajpur-img_0964.jpg
Safari Dicor2.2 VTT-TMT 1.5year Grand OT[Extreme-Exclusive N Sikkim&Mandarmoni/Tajpur-img_0968.jpg
Safari Dicor2.2 VTT-TMT 1.5year Grand OT[Extreme-Exclusive N Sikkim&Mandarmoni/Tajpur-img_0981.jpg
Safari Dicor2.2 VTT-TMT 1.5year Grand OT[Extreme-Exclusive N Sikkim&Mandarmoni/Tajpur-img_0984.jpg
Old 16th April 2009, 00:13   #42
BHPian

@ADC sir

sir i am using one of your photos ( see attachment) as my desktop background. hope you dont mind! anyways great travelogue. WOW!
Attached Thumbnails
Safari Dicor2.2 VTT-TMT 1.5year Grand OT[Extreme-Exclusive N Sikkim&Mandarmoni/Tajpur-img_0568.jpg  

Old 16th April 2009, 00:18   #43
adc
Senior - BHPian

Banjhakri falls & Energy park

Quote:
On January 5, 2008, a new tourist spot was inaugurated by Chief Minister Pawan Chamling at Lower Sichey, 4 kilo meters away from Gangtok. The name of new tourist spot is Jhankri water falls Enegy Park which is spread over an area of 2 acres

The significance of the park is associated with local tradition and custom. The local term jhankri means the spiritual healer, shaman who performs prayer for the patients since ancient times. There is approximately 100 feet high waterfalls there. The area is surrounded by natural and man made lakes, stream and the hill top. The beautiful landscapes, footbridges in Sikkimese style, splash pool adorned by a dragon at the centre, sculptures and figurines of the Jhankri culture etc. at once fascinate the visiting tourists there. In the very entrance of the centre, there is the facility for parking vehicles. There is status of Lepcha Bungthing, traditional spiritual healer and Jhankri, the Nepali spiritual healer. The set of statue of jhankris, the traditional spiritual healers attracts the visitors mostly where a main jhankri is performing puja for a patient. A patient is lying on the bed. The two assistants called dholeys of spiritual healer are playing the Dyangro, a traditional drum. The practice of shamanism and performing puja in this way is still prevalent in the society. There is a small park where children can make joyride in a toy cars.

There is equally interesting myth about Bungthing of Lepcha. They also perform puja for the patient and well being of the community. On the bank of stream and hill top, there are some statues of Bungthing. All the rest house , bridge and hill top are decorated in traditional architectural design of Sikkim. In the upward side, there is a set of statue which makes everybody delighted particularly to children. This is the statue of Ban Jhakri, the spiritual healer who is believed to have been lived in the dense forest away from human habitats with his wife called ban jhankrini.

There is so many myths about the Ban Jhankri and Ban jhankrini (Lemlemma, which means the mother of long tongue in Rai language) in the society. They are considered the religious Gurus who live in the forest doing penance and practice of spiritualism. According to popular myth still prevalent among the people, Ban Jhankrini is like lady giant who likes to eat the human flesh but Ban jhankri does not allow any human being to be sacrificed in vain. The feet of Banjhankrini are in reversial position unlike Banjhankri and common human being. The Banjhakri, it is believed makes choice of his own to make any person his follower who can follow his spiritual and devine practice. There is still belief in the society particularly among the Rai community that whoever is likened by Banjhankri, he will be taken by his magic and such a person can be disappeared from the village and will be re-appeared after some days, months and years being fully trained. During the training, he will be served only clean earthworm taken from the inside bark of the banana tree.

According to popular myth, Banjhankrini is confined to a place fully tightened in a chain of iron so that she cannot come out and eat human being. If the human being fails to take training and preaching from Banjhankri it is believed that he gives and sacrifices human being to banjhankrini and in turn, the Banjhankirini can eat human flesh to satisfy her hunger. It is traditional belief and myth only but not scientifically proved fact.Study reveals that such kind of myths are prevalent in tribal regions of North East States of India too who worship nature. This kind of belief is prevalent among khasi people of NE region too who believe about the existence of such spiritual healers and ghosts.The various folk tales among the tribals of the region speak the truth of their believes and myths.
We just relaxed for the evening, tmmrw the big day and again dharna in front of the Sikkim Police permit window for the ultimate ride - North Sikkim - Gurudongmar and Yumathang permits.
Safari Dicor2.2 VTT-TMT 1.5year Grand OT[Extreme-Exclusive N Sikkim&Mandarmoni/Tajpur-img_0999.jpg
Safari Dicor2.2 VTT-TMT 1.5year Grand OT[Extreme-Exclusive N Sikkim&Mandarmoni/Tajpur-img_1001.jpg
Safari Dicor2.2 VTT-TMT 1.5year Grand OT[Extreme-Exclusive N Sikkim&Mandarmoni/Tajpur-img_1011.jpg
Safari Dicor2.2 VTT-TMT 1.5year Grand OT[Extreme-Exclusive N Sikkim&Mandarmoni/Tajpur-img_1016.jpg
Safari Dicor2.2 VTT-TMT 1.5year Grand OT[Extreme-Exclusive N Sikkim&Mandarmoni/Tajpur-img_1017.jpg
Safari Dicor2.2 VTT-TMT 1.5year Grand OT[Extreme-Exclusive N Sikkim&Mandarmoni/Tajpur-img_1022.jpg
Safari Dicor2.2 VTT-TMT 1.5year Grand OT[Extreme-Exclusive N Sikkim&Mandarmoni/Tajpur-img_1027.jpg
Safari Dicor2.2 VTT-TMT 1.5year Grand OT[Extreme-Exclusive N Sikkim&Mandarmoni/Tajpur-img_1029.jpg
Safari Dicor2.2 VTT-TMT 1.5year Grand OT[Extreme-Exclusive N Sikkim&Mandarmoni/Tajpur-img_1057.jpg
Safari Dicor2.2 VTT-TMT 1.5year Grand OT[Extreme-Exclusive N Sikkim&Mandarmoni/Tajpur-img_1045.jpg
adc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th April 2009, 00:28   #44
BHPian

Lovely. Keep them coming. It really hurts to see heavy security presence at places which are embodiment of peace, like the Rumtek Monastry.

You are extracting the most out of your VTT. Great going!! I used to plan my next trip before the current one finished. So, where next?
Old 16th April 2009, 01:05   #45
adc
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akroy View Post
Anirban, WOnderful pics of Snow. I am yet to witness snow in my life.Abhi
Come down next April, we are gonna go again!!! or head off to Manali this december/jan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by himanshugoswami View Post
what really blows my mind is the capability of the 4x2 safari. Onelook at these pictures and the only thing that comes to mind is - 4x4 territory.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
And icing on top a 2WD Safari in all places where a 4WD should be.
Well I too am always careful where I head off with a 2wd 2-tonne truck but luck has been with me a number of times - has been close to getting stuck a number of times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
The more I see your travelogues, the more my list of places to see increases.
Quote:
Originally Posted by arin_12 View Post
Simply Superb... Choke juriye gelo. (my eyes got satishfied)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysmokesleaves View Post
Magical, stunning, remarkable awe inspiring and staggeringly beautiful.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
Hats off - clapping for your persistence in getting permits and then driving there despite inclement weather.
Sure this N Sikkim and Tsongmo Lake has to be visited, even if by the taxis, give that "Leh-Ladakh feel".

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyjagga View Post
I am going to add a comment on ADC’s pictures, today 15th April, I am sitting in Gurgaon 43.5C is temp. here, and on seeing your pics A cold rush goes inside and I feel a chill and then coolness of Calm.
Tell me about the temp, out here in Cal - sweat and hot. Sweat makes the weather unbearable. The first couple of days back out here in Cal was really hard adjusting for us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
And that too with a kid! Definitely not me! Even if I was as "crazy" as this, my wife will surely tie me down and call the psychologist!!!
He he!! First time surely thats what happens - do it regularly and everyone considers you as a gone case and then who is stopping you!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
A correction and re-upload of your pic below...
Thats a great altered view - does look surreal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saurabh M View Post
I used to plan my next trip before the current one finished. So, where next?
Exactly the same, do have a whole list of it - just gives solace while working to look on to that list. Gonna need sponsors now
- amenable to all of the Safari surface area for pasting whatever a company wants, the cladding does make terrific billboard - and in return they fund the trip!! Thought Ladakh trip in May but since that was out due to fund shortage and for work reasons too, desparately wanted the N Sikkim trip happen - it turned out to be quite economical too. May be the Leh trip around late September to mid October - just before the travel season closes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankan View Post
sir i am using one of your photos ( see attachment) as my desktop background. hope you dont mind! anyways great travelogue. WOW!
Absolutely go ahead, in fact that feels good for me too. Some of the pics did surely come out good out of a 6 MP Canon camera.

Last edited by adc : 16th April 2009 at 01:22.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks