Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th April 2009, 15:23   #121
BHPian

Here's one pic of tso lhamo. Its about 7-8 km further up from Gurudongmar. I was stranded at lachen for 3 days trying to get to gurudongmar. Weather turned for the better on 4th day and could reach tso lhamo. Started from lachen at around 0530 and was back by around 1500. Must stick to these times, because as you have also mentioned, weather changes dramatically at around noon.
Attached Thumbnails
Safari Dicor2.2 VTT-TMT 1.5year Grand OT[Extreme-Exclusive N Sikkim&Mandarmoni/Tajpur-12.jpg  

nvldvr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th April 2009, 16:16   #122
adc
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvldvr View Post
Here's one pic of tso lhamo.

Thanks much for sharing the pic of Tso Lhamo Lake. During the later months [from May onwards] the trail should be open to proceed till there. Still, how was the road/trail for that 7-8 km and around which month did you go over there?

Last edited by adc : 27th April 2009 at 16:25.
Old 27th April 2009, 17:44   #123
BHPian

From gurudongmar onwards, its just flat terrain. You have to drive through the valley. There is no proper raod as such, just a trail, but pretty driveable. Have to cross one or two very small water streams. But with a 4X4, it shouldnt be much of a problem at all.
I was there in end july.
Old 28th April 2009, 14:10   #124
Senior - BHPian

Feeling Nostalgic

I had done this trip in 2003 with my wife (we stayed with the Army chaps) ...reading this thread brought back the memories. North Sikkim is amazing. A memorable experience was having lunch (after visiting Gurudongmar in the morning) at an Army camp at 16,500+ feet - inside an igloo tent - with white linen and silver cutlery!

Did the army guys tell you about snow leopard sightings (not sure whether the cats are still there) around Gurudongmar?
Old 28th April 2009, 21:16   #125
adc
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by redrage View Post
Fantastic Travelogue Adc, loved all the photos.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvldvr View Post
I was there in end july.
Let me know when you guys are over to east side, for birding and high mountain tours respectively.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilanjanray View Post
A memorable experience was having lunch (after visiting Gurudongmar in the morning) at an Army camp at 16,500+ feet - inside an igloo tent - with white linen and silver cutlery! Did the army guys tell you about snow leopard sightings (not sure whether the cats are still there) around Gurudongmar?
Wow!! thats an experience - guessing the place is Toong, the point where they check the permit papers.

Well knew that snow leopard was found at the Kachendzonga NP, but definitely they are one of the most elusive animals. Went to Zoo particularly for that reason, to see the snow leopard and red panda.

Last edited by adc : 28th April 2009 at 21:19.
Old 29th April 2009, 05:57   #126
Senior - BHPian

stunning travalogue. makes one wonder what they have accomplished in ones life.

Old 17th July 2009, 20:36   #127
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adc View Post
At Tsongmo Lake - Part 3 pictures - Last set

Snow, the yak, and the walk to the other side
Attachment 125523
Attachment 125524
Attachment 125525

Weather was turning for worse and we went to one of the shacks to have hot noodles
Attachment 125526
Attachment 125527

After that we lingered for as much time more, and then started the return journey - stopped at Kyongnosla Waterfall on descent
Attachment 125532
Attachment 125528
Attachment 125531
Attachment 125529
Quote:
Come down next April, we are gonna go again!!! or head off to Manali this december/jan.

Well I too am always careful where I head off with a 2wd 2-tonne truck but luck has been with me a number of times - has been close to getting stuck a number of times.

Sure this N Sikkim and Tsongmo Lake has to be visited, even if by the taxis, give that "Leh-Ladakh feel".

Tell me about the temp, out here in Cal - sweat and hot. Sweat makes the weather unbearable. The first couple of days back out here in Cal was really hard adjusting for us.

He he!! First time surely thats what happens - do it regularly and everyone considers you as a gone case and then who is stopping you!!!

Thats a great altered view - does look surreal

Exactly the same, do have a whole list of it - just gives solace while working to look on to that list. Gonna need sponsors now
- amenable to all of the Safari surface area for pasting whatever a company wants, the cladding does make terrific billboard - and in return they fund the trip!! Thought Ladakh trip in May but since that was out due to fund shortage and for work reasons too, desparately wanted the N Sikkim trip happen - it turned out to be quite economical too. May be the Leh trip around late September to mid October - just before the travel season closes.

Absolutely go ahead, in fact that feels good for me too. Some of the pics did surely come out good out of a 6 MP Canon camera.

This is the 10th time that I am going through this thread by ADC. No words to be used here to explain the feeling--he is an outright delight to read and the pictures absolutely mesmerizing...
Old 18th July 2009, 16:06   #128
Senior - BHPian

adc, wow what a pleasure it was going through your journey of north west sikkim, wow reminded me of my trip of north east part of lachung, i wished you could have gone till baba mandir and zero point but even without that this has been a worth praising and applauding travelouge you shared here, yet to discover lachen part which is on my next wish list, been there twice to sikkim and yet to go lachen so now third part is surely going to be lachen with possible if things work out then a trekk till base camp to Mt.Kanchenjanga.Tsongo Lake is beautiful all round the year may be the time you visited or the time i visited when once was covered with ice and freezing and once pure as sky to enjoy a walk around,thankyou for your all beautiful pictures shared with us and keep coming with your wonderful journeys.
Old 18th July 2009, 16:40   #129
NIP
Senior - BHPian

fantastic adc ! rated 5 for this ! thanks for sharing your experience with us...i'm left speechless !!
Old 18th July 2009, 19:13   #130
Distinguished - BHPian

Hey adc, time to roll again! Almost 4 months since your last trip...
Old 22nd July 2009, 15:59   #131
Senior - BHPian

Took almost 2 hours to go through this travelogue and now I'm speechless!!!!
Old 24th July 2009, 13:17   #132
adc
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeevn View Post
This is the 10th time that I am going through this thread by ADC. No words to be used here to explain the feeling--he is an outright delight to read and the pictures absolutely mesmerizing...
Wow, sure you liked it a lot, thanks much. It sure was a very, very memorable journey - putting it back on the page, you even made me go through the own posts again! Thanks again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vijaythacker View Post
adc, wow what a pleasure it was going through your journey of north west sikkim, wow reminded me of my trip of north east part of lachung, i wished you could have gone till baba mandir and zero point but even without that this has been a worth praising and applauding travelouge you shared here, yet to discover lachen part which is on my next wish list, been there twice to sikkim and yet to go lachen so now third part is surely going to be lachen with possible if things work out then a trekk till base camp to Mt.Kanchenjanga.Tsongo Lake is beautiful all round the year may be the time you visited or the time i visited when once was covered with ice and freezing and once pure as sky to enjoy a walk around,thankyou for your all beautiful pictures shared with us and keep coming with your wonderful journeys.
Vijay, we purposely left out the baba mandir and concentrated on the North Sikkim part and getting the permits - the reason being that I was again bent upon going to Baba Mandir through the totally uncommon route as again no one is allowed on that Army route. There are actually 2 Baba Mandir. The original one is seen only when one does the route anti-clockwise.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...k-jelepla.html

This is the travelogue and its time that I complete it now. I will be posting pictures of the Tsongmo Lake in summer time and it just does not look what it was in April month. No ice and snow made the lake so common looking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NIP View Post
fantastic adc ! rated 5 for this ! thanks for sharing your experience with us...i'm left speechless !!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacs View Post
Took almost 2 hours to go through this travelogue and now I'm speechless!!!!

Thanks for the stars. As said, all these posts again made me go through my own travelogue again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
Hey adc, time to roll again! Almost 4 months since your last trip...
Oh yes, sure something was planned. But as luck would have it, going through some rough patch now - but then did go to Tarenga, near Patna, for 2 days for the solar eclipse - just could not miss the oppurtunity since have a close friend over there in Patna. Would post the few pictures of the trip - Kolkata-Barhi-Tilaiya-Kodarma-Nawada-Bhaktiyarpur-Patna takes around 10-11 hours - 620 km with 3 breaks in between.

Last edited by adc : 24th July 2009 at 13:34.
Old 24th July 2009, 14:39   #133
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

- but then did go to Tarenga, near Patna, for 2 days for the solar eclipse - just could not miss the oppurtunity since have a close friend over there in Patna. Would post the few pictures of the trip - Kolkata-Barhi-Tilaiya-Kodarma-Nawada-Bhaktiyarpur-Patna takes around 10-11 hours - 620 km with 3 breaks in between.
But i guess you did not have luck to see the eclipse which was visible for 3mins 45secs and was the best place to view the eclipse as stated by NASA due to the clouds and rain.
Old 24th July 2009, 16:52   #134
Senior - BHPian

i have seen both the ones, one which goes from yumthang valley and another one as you say is the other way around, when i visited it last summer, weather was superb, rained heavily while returning.Did you checked zero point too where the drivable point ends the road there,nothing much but a superb scene to view from there,anways thanks again for sharing such a wonderful journey of yours.
Old 25th July 2009, 01:06   #135
adc
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vijaythacker View Post
i have seen both the ones, one which goes from yumthang valley and another one as you say is the other way around, when i visited it last summer, weather was superb, rained heavily while returning.Did you checked zero point too where the drivable point ends the road there,nothing much but a superb scene to view from there,anways thanks again for sharing such a wonderful journey of yours.
Yes we went till Zero point with the hope of travelling to Yumesadong, but due to the path being blocked with snow, we could not move further. The details are there on page 6. The temple that is there is Shiv Mandir.

The Baba Mandir that I am talking about is the one that is approachable from the Zuluk-Kupup side - I will be working on that long unfinished travelogue. This is one part of Sikkim that you should visit definitely during the winter months for the snow and vistas.

And thanks to you too again for the all appreciation.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks