Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th April 2009, 19:35   #1
BHPian

A whirlwind tour of South India - 2 Thunderbirds, 7 days, Approx 2800 Kms

Me and my friend Rohit planned and executed this run in 7 days on 2 Thunderbirds (single rider, no pillion). We did Pune-Kanyakumari-Bangalore in 7 days. My last destination was Bangalore and Rohit completed the Bangalore-Pune leg (approx 881 Kms) in 1 day, 15 hours flat. It was one heck of an experience. Our initial planning started by referring to this thread http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ht=kanyakumari. I thank Kiran Vaidya for the detailed document that he uploaded. I dont know if he ever did the trip but the plan was good and we did it.

I have updated my blog with day wise travel details and some snaps. I will be posting links to the each post in my blog below.
There's no point typing it all over again. Plus uploading snaps takes a lot of time on the slow dial-up that I have. Its a long (and maybe tiring) read guys, so buckle up for this one.

The idea - Kaustubh's blog: Bike trip Pune - Kanyakumari

The preparations - Kaustubh's blog: A whirlwind tour of South India - Preparations

Day 1 - Kaustubh's blog: A whirlwind tour of South India - Day 1

Day 2 - Kaustubh's blog: A whirlwind tour of South India : Day 2

Day 3 - Kaustubh's blog: A whirlwind tour of South India - Day 3

Day 4 - Kaustubh's blog: A whirlwind tour of South India - Day 4

Day 5 - Kaustubh's blog: A whirlwind tour of South India - Day 5

Day 6 - Kaustubh's blog: A whirlwind tour of South India - Day 6

Day 7 - Kaustubh's blog: A whirlwind tour of South India - Day 7: The last day of the road - trip for me

For viewing all the snaps, click this - Picasa Web Albums - Smita - Kanyakumari r...

Some snaps have come up real nice and are accidental.

Disclaimer: All views on my post are thoughts that went through my head and I have tried to put them down in the same way.

Regards,
Kaustubh.
kaustubh_vaze is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th April 2009, 02:05   #2
Senior - BHPian

Awesomes. One of these days I need to stop calculating of possible boss after-effects and just ride.

And yes, though I've been to those places - I need to go there myself. And on a bike.
Old 16th April 2009, 02:08   #3
Senior - BHPian

Excellent job, Kaustubh. Nice pics too.
Gosh..sounds like one helluva trip. Always wanted to do something like this, never really happened!
Old 16th April 2009, 09:28   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear Kaustubh / Rohit - "khubach chhan punyache poranno" - fantastic trip you guys had. I drove down from Kottayam to Mumbai via Mangalore Ankola Hubli and Pune in December 2007 in my left hand drive Premier Padmini. Please read the "My left hand drive fiat" thread in the Vintage & Classic Cars of India Post 1950 section. I have also done Mumbai Mangalore Calicut Coimbatore Kodaikanal in my Premier Padmini. Your story was so good, it was like I was there. I totally agree with you on Kerala bus drivers, they are the messengers of death. Drive safe guys.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Old 16th April 2009, 10:35   #5
BHPian

Thanks.

Thank you everyone. Not many find the time to go through such a lengthy descriptive travellogue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear Kaustubh / Rohit - "khubach chhan punyache poranno" - fantastic trip you guys had. .................. I totally agree with you on Kerala bus drivers, they are the messengers of death. Drive safe guys.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Thanks Behram,
I am happy that you liked the travellogue. I am not that good a writer but since I wanted to jot down each and every event, maybe it turned out well.

Regards,
Kaustubh
Old 16th April 2009, 12:49   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
I drove down from Kottayam to Mumbai via Mangalore Ankola Hubli and Pune in December 2007 in my left hand drive Premier Padmini. Please read the "My left hand drive fiat" thread in the Vintage & Classic Cars of India Post 1950 section. I have also done Mumbai Mangalore Calicut Coimbatore Kodaikanal in my Premier Padmini. Your story was so good, it was like I was there.
Behram Sir,
Slightly OT:
Who on TBHP doesn't know about you and your Fiats? I have read almost everything you have posted here. The Himalayan experience, the Fiat tuning tips et al. If you remember, I had also contacted you for my own Padmini.
I am also planning to participate in the Raid most probably in a souped up Padmini (Fiat). That is, provided I have the money to do it.

Regards,
Kaustubh
Old 16th April 2009, 14:53   #7
BHPian

Read through your blogs. Too good Kaustubh. Wishing you many more miles of happy and safe riding.
Old 16th April 2009, 15:53   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear Kaustubh - please PM me your mobile number. I will catch up with you when I am in Pune next time and look at your Padmini car. By the way, I am thinking, why I should not take the left hand drive all the way to Kottayam and back once again.

By the way, I love the Bullet but I have a mental block against it's back kick. Does your Bullet have an electric start? I think it would have as it is one of the new ones.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Old 16th April 2009, 18:49   #9
BHPian

Hi Behram,
Thanks for your help.
Unfortunately the Padmini belonged to my father and he sold it as he refuses to drive any vehicle in Pune traffic. Its just too bad with age catching up. I decided I will buy another one in another 6 months and soup it up (engine transplant etc.)
I drive a Palio 1.6 and also keeping a friend's Palio 1.2 NV because he is out of India.
Regarding the back kick - I have a RE Thunderbird which without electric start and I do not have any back kick problems with it. I think RE have even done away with the "Engine Decomp" switch in the latest editions (though my bike has it) since they did fixed the problem in the engine and the problem has gone away for good. I dont know exactly from when.
I hope this helps in removing the mental block and you buy one for yourself. I cannot ride any other bike after riding the Thunderbird.
Thanks again. I will surely need your help when I lay my hands on a S1.
BTW, when are you planning to drive down to Kottayam? Do let me know and I may be one of the passengers if time permits.
Regards,
Kaustubh

Last edited by kaustubh_vaze : 16th April 2009 at 18:52. Reason: Forgot to complete the last sentence.
Old 16th April 2009, 18:54   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by unni.ak View Post
Read through your blogs. Too good Kaustubh. Wishing you many more miles of happy and safe riding.
Thanks a lot for the wishes Unni.
Old 17th April 2009, 00:37   #11
BHPian

Awesome dude! I really enjoyed reading your travellogue, and watching the pictures! :-)
Old 20th April 2009, 20:26   #12
BHPian

Simply Amazing travel that you made, from the sahayadris to cape cameron & to Garden city, i'm sure you had a ride of your life time.

All the best for your Ladhak & Kargil trip.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks