Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th May 2012, 14:30   #76
BHPian

Re: Drive from Bangalore to Kuruva Island Wayanad

The approach road is renewed now,also the road from kattikulam to kuruva island is very good.
Old 13th May 2012, 10:46   #77
BHPian

Guys i just came from waynard and i will suggest don't go with GPS route for bangalore to Waynard :-) which is not made for sedan or hatchback, around 30 km road is horrible

Not recommended :- 260km New Thippasandra, Bengaluru, Karnataka, India to Wayanad Tea County - Google Maps

Recommended:- 316km New Thippasandra, Bengaluru, Karnataka, India to Wayanad Tea County - Google Maps

I will strong suggest if one is going near to WTC please use recommended route.. road is good and you will enjoy your trip...
Old 13th May 2012, 10:55   #78
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tushargohil View Post
Guys i just came from waynard and i will suggest don't go with GPS route for bangalore to Waynard :-)
which is not made for sedan or hatchback, around 30 km road is horrible
The route via Kabini was never good. The route to be taken is either via Gundlupet (as you took) or via
Hunsur/Gonikoppal/Tholpetty depending on the destination.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th May 2012, 11:43   #79
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
The route via Kabini was never good. The route to be taken is either via Gundlupet (as you took) or via
Hunsur/Gonikoppal/Tholpetty depending on the destination.
Yes i agree mate, Kabini route was not good and i was when one route mention in GPS next to Kabini was close due to some reason... thank god alternative route calculated and with help of local guys we mange to pass this...... one think i like about few below snaps.. which we mange to click due to this route :-)
Attached Thumbnails
Drive from Bangalore to Kuruva Island Wayanad-img_1847.jpg  

Drive from Bangalore to Kuruva Island Wayanad-img_1849.jpg  

Drive from Bangalore to Kuruva Island Wayanad-img_1851.jpg  

Drive from Bangalore to Kuruva Island Wayanad-img_1853.jpg  

Drive from Bangalore to Kuruva Island Wayanad-img_1855.jpg  

Drive from Bangalore to Kuruva Island Wayanad-img_1859.jpg  

Drive from Bangalore to Kuruva Island Wayanad-img_1862.jpg  

Drive from Bangalore to Kuruva Island Wayanad-img_1864.jpg  

Drive from Bangalore to Kuruva Island Wayanad-img_1865.jpg  

Drive from Bangalore to Kuruva Island Wayanad-img_1866.jpg  

Drive from Bangalore to Kuruva Island Wayanad-img_1867.jpg  

Drive from Bangalore to Kuruva Island Wayanad-img_1870.jpg  

Drive from Bangalore to Kuruva Island Wayanad-img_2025.jpg  

Drive from Bangalore to Kuruva Island Wayanad-img_2026.jpg  

Drive from Bangalore to Kuruva Island Wayanad-img_2035.jpg  

Old 13th May 2012, 11:55   #80
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tushargohil View Post
Yes i agree mate, Kabini route was not good and i was when one route
mention in GPS next to Kabini was close due
That's amazing set of pictures there. In Waynad the last stretch can bring you down.
(Either from Gundlpet or from Hunsur side).

The Kabini route is taken by folks who have an SUV and those who really want to go through Nagarhole.

As to GPS even I have a Garmin, and I have learnt never to trust it 100% !
I always use it as a second opinion seeker and to bolster my confidence that we are on the right track.
In unknown cities its really useful to direct us to hotels/places etc.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th May 2012, 18:44   #81
Senior - BHPian

HD Kote road is repaired and is in shape good except for the stretch where you need to take a detour through the village and JLR. This small stretch is getting worse day be day I think, last time I took this was around 1 year back and was ok for my Sedan to come through without any damage.
Old 9th August 2012, 11:50   #82
Senior - BHPian

Yet another trip to Kuruva and Pepper Green Resort tomorrow, bit worried about the route after reading about the heavy rains and landslides in this part of Kerala. Would be great if someone can share an update on "after rains" situation of Bangalore - Srirangapatna - Hunsur - Nagerhole - Thoalpetty - Kattikulam - Kuruva (Pepper Green Resort) roads.
Old 10th August 2012, 23:02   #83
BHPian

Quote:
Would be great if someone can share an update on "after rains" situation of Bangalore - Srirangapatna - Hunsur - Nagerhole - Thoalpetty
Not sure if you are going to get this post in time.

Made the trip to Jungle Retreat Wayanad yesterday (9th afternoon), so took the same road till Tholpetty. Road is motor-able, just as before. There are a few patches inside Nagarahole that has deteriorated a bit, but this is still a much better option than the HD Kote, Kabini one.

Heard that the Hunsur-Nagarahole-Kutta stretch is going to be closed for good post 15th Aug - let me confirm with the forest officials and revert.
CountDracoola is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st August 2012, 20:58   #84
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadadhar View Post
Yet another trip to Kuruva and Pepper Green Resort tomorrow, bit worried about the route after reading about the heavy rains and landslides in this part of Kerala. Would be great if someone can share an update on "after rains" situation of Bangalore - Srirangapatna - Hunsur - Nagerhole - Thoalpetty - Kattikulam - Kuruva (Pepper Green Resort) roads.
Hi, did you go ahead with the trip Bobby? Actually I am planning to go on August 31st. I am planning to stay near Karapuzha. Your feedback on the weather and road conditions will be very helpful.

Samish
Old 22nd August 2012, 18:46   #85
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samish_g View Post
Hi, did you go ahead with the trip Bobby? Actually I am planning to go on August 31st. I am planning to stay near Karapuzha. Your feedback on the weather and road conditions will be very helpful.

Samish
I did the trip as planed, roads are good all through. It was raining most of the time when I was there, but this can change any time. Please let me know if you need any specific details
Old 22nd August 2012, 22:13   #86
BHPian

Dear Bobby, Thanks for the reply. We are planning for a 3 day 2 night trip. I should be getting the hotel booking confirmation by tomorrow. I wanted some help regarding which places to visit (must sees). I do not want to rush through the places. Ekaddal caves, Pazhassi park are a definite yes. Please give your suggestions.
Old 24th August 2012, 12:15   #87
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Dear Bobby, Thanks for the reply. We are planning for a 3 day 2 night trip. I should be getting the hotel booking confirmation by tomorrow. I wanted some help regarding which places to visit (must sees). I do not want to rush through the places. Ekaddal caves, Pazhassi park are a definite yes. Please give your suggestions.
Consider Pookode lake

You can have a drive through Toalpetty forest (no safaris, but you can try your luck on main road, elephent sighting is assured during night drive) and visit Titrunelly Temple, view from here is awesome. Visit to Kuruva island can be done, not sure whether the rafts for crossing Kabini is operational since the water level will be high after the rains.

Wayanad is best enjoyed with a cup of tea from where you stay, exp during the rains

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountDracoola View Post
Not sure if you are going to get this post in time.

Made the trip to Jungle Retreat Wayanad yesterday (9th afternoon), so took the same road till Tholpetty. Road is motor-able, just as before. There are a few patches inside Nagarahole that has deteriorated a bit, but this is still a much better option than the HD Kote, Kabini one.

Heard that the Hunsur-Nagarahole-Kutta stretch is going to be closed for good post 15th Aug - let me confirm with the forest officials and revert.
Missed your post earlier @CountDracoola, I tried Jungle retreat, but was full. Hope you had some more wonderful sightings this time.

Road getting closed for good!!!, that sounds bad, has it got something to do with the Supreme Court ruling? Please keep us posted
Old 25th August 2012, 21:15   #88
BHPian

Thanks Bobby for the information. Will try to cover the same. Also regarding the safari in Muthunga Sanctuary, do we need to book in advance?

Regards,

Samish
Old 27th August 2012, 10:35   #89
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Bobby for the information. Will try to cover the same. Also regarding the safari in Muthunga Sanctuary, do we need to book in advance?

Regards,

Samish
Muthanga safari by the forest dept that takes you inside the forest should be closed due to the supreme court ruling. You can drive on the main roads through Muthanga or Thoalpetty using your vehicle. For night drive it is your choice whether to hire a local jeep or use own vehicle. I would say, if you are used to wildlife and elephants - use your vehicle, else go for a local jeep (your resort will help in arranging this). Elephant sighting is assured in Thoalpetty and HD kotte stretch and they may charge during night. I was charged by a cow elephant with calf last week in HD Kotte stretch during night, it was more than a mock charge and we had to zoom away.
Old 27th August 2012, 18:38   #90
BHPian

Quote:
Missed your post earlier @CountDracoola, I tried Jungle retreat, but was full. Hope you had some more wonderful sightings this time.

Road getting closed for good!!!, that sounds bad, has it got something to do with the Supreme Court ruling? Please keep us posted
Sightings were very good. included the usual elephants, gaurs etc and the bonus this time was a sloth bear and a leopard, bear during the trek and the leopard during the night safari both from jungle retreat.

Regarding the Nagarahole road getting closed - no, that was the proposal it seems, but it is decided that the roads would continue to open from 6am till 6pm, as is the case now.

Tholpetty safari is open these days, Kuruva is closed, Pakshipathalam trek was open again. So most of the activities are open in and around North Wayanad.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks