Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd April 2009, 23:12   #1

Bangalore to Yelagiri - A Day Trip

This is my first post the Travelogues forum. I would like to share the recent day trip I had from Bangalore to Yelagiri Hills. Yelagiri is a hill station around 170 Kms from Bangalore close to Ponneri in Tamil Nadu. The only exciting part of the trip is the journey itself as we later found out that there were not many places to see there especially, when you want to keep it a day trip.

We started from the Bangalore Silk Board junction at around 7AM and drove through Electronics city, Hosur and reached Krishnagiri. The road has some diversions due to the over bridge construction work. We reached A2B at 8:30 AM and had a good breakfast. A2B is strategically located on the highway to pull the crowd.

After breakfast, we proceeded towards Krishnagiri and we took the left to Chennai and proceeded till the Vaniyambadi toll booth. From there you need to be careful with the sign boards. Follow the signboards till you reach the hills. The road leading to the hill was excellent.

The hair pin bends were not really tough ones like Ooty or Kodai and there is very less incoming traffic. We parked our cars on the 7th bend and were climbing rocks. When you reach to the top of the hill you will be disappointed to see very few places to visit. We just went boating and had a bath in the artificial falls.

We had a great lunch, bought some pure honey from the local vensors and started for Bangalore at 4PM. Again the best part of the hills is the curves it exposes. It will put all other curves to shame!

Overall, it is a good place to visit and please don't stay overnight there as I read a lot of bad reviews about the hotels there.

Total Kms: 350 (Round trip).

See the attached images.
Attached Thumbnails
Bangalore to Yelagiri - A Day Trip-yelagiri1.jpg  

Bangalore to Yelagiri - A Day Trip-yelagiri2.jpg  

Bangalore to Yelagiri - A Day Trip-yelagiri3.jpg  

Bangalore to Yelagiri - A Day Trip-yelagiri4.jpg  

Bangalore to Yelagiri - A Day Trip-yelagiri5.jpg  

Bangalore to Yelagiri - A Day Trip-yelagiri6.jpg  

Bangalore to Yelagiri - A Day Trip-yelagiri7.jpg  

Old 24th April 2009, 15:51   #2
Senior - BHPian

Good review. Hope you did not have any traffic jams while climbing/coming down from the hill. We were stuck up there for about 2 1/2 hours as there was a massive traffic jam while coming down from hill around a year back.
Old 24th April 2009, 16:02   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaronikar View Post
Good review. Hope you did not have any traffic jams while climbing/coming down from the hill. We were stuck up there for about 2 1/2 hours as there was a massive traffic jam while coming down from hill around a year back.
Traffic jam? That is strange. We couldn't see anybody going up or coming down the hills. Even on top it was deserted. Maybe because people generally avoid Tamil Nadu during summer.
Old 24th April 2009, 16:22   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by morbidpriest View Post

Overall, it is a good place to visit and please don't stay overnight there as I read a lot of bad reviews about the hotels there.

See the attached images.
Can you enlighten us further on this one ? I had actually planned it to be at least a two day trip and has even found out about a couple of hotel there to stay.
Old 24th April 2009, 17:30   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by kannan666 View Post
Can you enlighten us further on this one ? I had actually planned it to be at least a two day trip and has even found out about a couple of hotel there to stay.
Good you found out a place to stay. I heard most of the hotels lack even basic comfort. Some are schools converted into hotels. There are agents on top of the hill trying to con you. If you know Tamil, you are safe. Initially, I was planning for a family trip with night stays. But based on the Mouth Shut reviews, I made it a short day trip.

Some info here:
YELAGIRI Reviews - MouthShut.com

Don't mind about all the bad reviews on the hotels if you have found reliable place to stay. There was this one guy always following us and pestering us to take a room. He even got into our car suggesting that he'll show around the places. If you can speak the local language, it is not bad after all. But mind you, the place is hotter than Bangalore and still it is a hill station!
Old 24th April 2009, 18:01   #6
BHPian

I dont have anything against Yelagiri but was damn sad. First the guy who i called took the booking half way through the journey I wanted to re confirm he said he has kept the room. We reached late in the night and he said he had given the room to some one else. Then arranged a cottage in another place, too sad to even give a review. Because of the women and kids i said ok. Guess what was on the menu for dinner rice and rasam and said if we wanted anything we should go get it from town and if we were going to town get him some supplies. We packed up and then came the threat -you wont get a room anywhere in Yelagiri. I went to every hotel found a cottage at the eighth attempt. And the guy had the audacity to call me and say - Where will you go come back and take the room on full rate. I wish o could've seen his face when i told him about the place and price.

Anyway, Yelagiri is a 2-3 pitstop at best. The drive is great, other than that not much.

@morbidpriest try the Kalhatti hairpins to Ooty better anyday.
Old 26th April 2009, 22:40   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazius View Post
@morbidpriest try the Kalhatti hairpins to Ooty better anyday.
Thanks Bazius I'll try that. I have heard interesting things about the Wayanad hairpins. I'm planning to try that out in some weeks. Is the road to Ooty better now?
Old 27th April 2009, 06:51   #8
BHPian

From Blr to Ooty its a great drive. Except around Gundalpet where its really sad. Suggestion try Blr-Ooty-Coonoor-Mettupalyam-Coimbatore-Bangalore. That way you dont go back the same way. If you have a long weekend Blr-Coorg-Waynad its awesome.
Old 27th April 2009, 10:42   #9
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for the Yelagiri info guys ! Bangalore Ooty roads are excellent now except for a small stretch of around 8kms between Gundlupet and Bandipur. Suggest going up to Ooty via Masinigudi and coming down via Gudalur so that you do not miss out on the scenery !
Old 3rd July 2009, 13:58   #10
BHPian

@morbidpriest,
Where is the artificial waterfalls in Yelagiri & can we take bath in the falls?

Last edited by gops : 3rd July 2009 at 13:59.
Old 3rd July 2009, 15:33   #11
VMG
BHPian

I had a different experinece(Good) in Yelagiri last year when we (wife and kids) visited last year.
Stayed in hotel Hill - good rooms, food(both south and north india) is good and reasoable rate and a big play area where you can play shuttle, cricket etc., (kits provided by the hotel) there is small play area(slide, swing etc.,) for small kids also.

went out of for boating, treaking (guide provided from the hotel).

Enjoyed our week end stay at Yelagiri.
Old 3rd July 2009, 17:15   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VMG View Post
I had a different experinece(Good) in Yelagiri last year when we (wife and kids) visited last year.
Stayed in hotel Hill - good rooms, food(both south and north india) is good and reasoable rate and a big play area where you can play shuttle, cricket etc., (kits provided by the hotel) there is small play area(slide, swing etc.,) for small kids also.

went out of for boating, treaking (guide provided from the hotel).

Enjoyed our week end stay at Yelagiri.
If possible, can you please share with us the approx tariff and some pics of the hotel and surroundings ?
Old 4th July 2009, 09:02   #13
VMG
BHPian

I think it is Rs.1500/- net for 2+1kid room rent; i will upload photos later.
Old 4th July 2009, 09:09   #14
VMG
BHPian

check thier hotel website for more info
Hotel Hills, Yelagiri, Hotel Reservations, Vacations, Travel Packages, Restaurant, Tourist Spot, Resorts, Motels, India, South India, Tamil Nadu, Conferences, Holidays, Hill Station, Vellore, Tirupattur, North Arcot District
Old 6th July 2009, 17:50   #15
Senior - BHPian

Any pointers on how this place will be now with the rains? Hot/Cold, Green, fogy etc. Will it be worth a stay?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks