Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd July 2012, 09:55   #136
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Delhi-Kolkata by Road | NH2 (now called NH19) in full detail

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPearl View Post
...24.5 Hours from Delhi.
Good timing. So we'd have crossed each other on the way again.
Quote:
Got harassed by Delhi cops for more than 1 hour due to the roof rack and not having the smart card :-(
Never heard of Delhi Police harassing anyone for a roof rack (probably an excuse to stop you)! However, they do check the RC documents, and your not having the smart card would have been a good excuse for them to get a little richer - but ONE hour? Delhi cops are pretty quick, I thought? Or did they take a lot of moolah out of you for wasting one hour of their time?

Incidentally, I was stopped by Haryana Police at Ballabhgarh that night (routine checkpost for heavy vehicles mostly), but he took one look at the insides of the car with his torch, and let me go without one word being spoken!
Old 2nd July 2012, 14:14   #137
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
Never heard of Delhi Police harassing anyone for a roof rack (probably an excuse to stop you)! However, they do check the RC documents, and your not having the smart card would have been a good excuse for them to get a little richer - but ONE hour? Delhi cops are pretty quick, I thought? Or did they take a lot of moolah out of you for wasting one hour of their time?
We were stopped twice inside Delhi. The first cop told me to stop and step out of the car with the papers and license. He asked me if I knew what was my offense. I told him no and he said that it was illegal to use a roof carrier on private vehicles. It would incur me a Rs 4000 fine. Asked whether he would go ahead with the challan. I told him that he can do whatever was under his jurisdiction and I had nothing to say. He then referred me to a senior officer who was quite courteous. He listened to me, asked where I was going and what was there in the carrier. He told me to go after I answered his questions. This was a 15 minutes affair. Then I was stooped a second time and this time I faced one of the most perverted cops I have seen in my life. He was half inside the car and looking at my wife all the while talking to me. He argued for 45 minutes that I was supposed to have the RC book and it was a violation to travel without it. After repeatedly telling him that RC book takes some time to be delivered, he said that I should have traveled in an old car instead of this vehicle . After 45 minutes of harassment, he asked us to go and said that he was not giving me a challan only because the car was not registered in Delhi. I have been stopped by several cops in several states including West Bengal, but all of those were routine check ups. The Delhi cops behavior have left a very bad impression on us.
BlackPearl is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2012, 11:18   #138
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The Delhi cops behavior have left a very bad impression on us.
I am aghast at hearing about this.

The MV Rules has no specific bar on luggage being carried on the roof of a personal passenger vehicle. Rule 128(9) of the MV Rules, 1989 relates to goods / luggage not being permitted to be carried on the roof of a transport / tourist vehicle, but what happened to you is ridiculous.

Let's see what the Delhi Traffic Police has to say about this. Quoting from my post on DTP's FB page...
Quote:
Dear Sir:
My friend Sumitro Chakravarty writes that he was harassed by the Delhi Traffic Police while transiting through Delhi in his self-driven personal vehicle (newly purchased), registered in West Bengal. It appears that the reasons for the harassment were due to (1) using a luggage carrier on the roof of the vehicle, for which a DTP officer demanded Rs.4000; and (2) not carrying the smart card registration certificate (the smart card is not issued to him yet, but he had the other necessary ownership documents, including a receipt from the Kolkata MVD). In addition, he claims a DTP personnel attempted to misbehave with his wife. The details are described by him here: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...ml#post2826714, where he writes under the handle of BlackPearl.

Kindly clarify whether the use of luggage carriers on the roof of a privately owned vehicle for personal use is permitted by law or not, and if not, under which section of the MV Act. Also, you would be well aware that many states including Delhi issue the smart card registration document a few weeks or months after the delivery of the vehicle, and this should not serve as grounds for harassment.

I certainly hope you would take stringent action and instruct your men on the streets to act in a manner befitting the pride and honour of Dellhi and its citizens.

Last edited by SS-Traveller : 3rd July 2012 at 11:21.
SS-Traveller is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2012, 12:55   #139
BHPian

Quote:
The MV Rules has no specific bar on luggage being carried on the roof of a personal passenger vehicle. Rule 128(9) of the MV Rules, 1989 relates to goods / luggage not being permitted to be carried on the roof of a transport / tourist vehicle, but what happened to you is ridiculous.
I had no idea about this rule. Very surprisingly, it is mostly these transport/tourist vehicles who carry luggages on the roof.

Quote:
Let's see what the Delhi Traffic Police has to say about this. Quoting from my post on DTP's FB page...
Very nice of you Doctorsaab, to highlight this issue with the Delhi police on FB.
rahul4640 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2012, 21:33   #140
Distinguished - BHPian

With the Yamuna Expressway opening up, I anticipate a minimum reduction of 2 hours in travel time on this sector. The usual time taken via NH2 from the Tundla-Firozabad toll point to home (New Delhi) is 4.5 hours (have taken up to 6 hours to cover the stretch), which should reduce to 2.5 hours via the YE. When travelling CCU-DEL, one of the most frustrating sections is Agra-Delhi, mainly because I commonly traverse this section in the peak evening traffic hours, and a 200-km free run into Delhi via YE would be very welcome after driving non-stop from CCU.

The first milepost after entering YE from the Agra side
Delhi-Kolkata by Road | NH2 (now called NH19) in full detail-ye.jpg
Old 19th August 2012, 11:43   #141
Distinguished - BHPian

Did the Delhi Traffic police webpage update you on your query regarding the use of luggage carrier and not having the RC smart card in a new car?
Old 19th August 2012, 11:58   #142
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Did the Delhi Traffic police webpage update you on your query regarding the use of luggage carrier and not having the RC smart card in a new car?
Nope. There was no response.
Old 16th October 2012, 10:52   #143
BHPian

Hi friends

I have a meeting to attend in Sarnath, Varanasi on saturday afternoon and sunday morning. Having done my first highway trips recently I keep thinking of the next one. Now this opportunity presents itself. I need some advice.

I plan to leave early from work (5pm) on friday and hope to be at the end of Yamuna Expressway (Agra) around 8 pm. Ideally, I would like to drive another couple of hours and then take night halt at some hotel. But I can't find any info on staying places.

HVK mentions Hotel Surya at Sikandra some 200 km after Agra. Any more information on this or any other staying places would be greatly appreciated.

Since I have to be in Sarnath by 3pm I can't start in morning and reach. Should I stay the night in Agra or Shikohabad?

thanks
Old 16th October 2012, 11:16   #144
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhaji View Post
Should I stay the night in Agra or Shikohabad?
You could consider stopping at Firozabad (40 km further ahead), instead of backtracking to Agra. Check this: http://www.tripadvisor.in/Hotel_Revi...r_Pradesh.html.

Last edited by SS-Traveller : 16th October 2012 at 11:21.
SS-Traveller is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th October 2012, 12:20   #145
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

HVK mentions Hotel Surya at Sikandra some 200 km after Agra. Any more information on this or any other staying places would be greatly appreciated.

Since I have to be in Sarnath by 3pm I can't start in morning and reach. Should I stay the night in Agra or Shikohabad?

thanks
Quote:
You could consider stopping at Firozabad (40 km further ahead), instead of backtracking to Agra. Check this: http://www.tripadvisor.in/Hotel_Revi...r_Pradesh.html.
There is also Gunjan Resort, at Sirsaganj a little beyond Shikohabad, between Agra & Etawah.
hvkumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th October 2012, 12:49   #146
BHPian

Thanks a lot, SS-Traveller and HVK. Hotel Monark and Gunjan Resorts certainly are good options and I guess if I start early next morning I can make it to Sarnath by 3 pm. I was just wondering if there is something 100 km or so further ahead, just in case I am still feeling up to driving more when I reach Ferozabad/Sirsaganj. This will make next day's drive more relaxed.
Old 16th October 2012, 18:54   #147
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I was just wondering if there is something 100 km or so further ahead, just in case I am still feeling up to driving more when I reach Ferozabad/Sirsaganj.
Next available area for hotels is Etawah (http://etawah.nic.in/hotels.htm). After that the next reasonable stop is Kanpur (driving time ~8-9 hours from Delhi via YEW - if you can manage to get away from Delhi earlier than the 5 pm you propose) (http://www.tripadvisor.in/Hotels-g66...sh-Hotels.html). Kanpur to Sarnath is 330 km approximately - 5-6 hours' driving time maximum.

Last edited by SS-Traveller : 16th October 2012 at 18:58.
SS-Traveller is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th October 2012, 11:13   #148
BHPian

Quote:
Next available area for hotels is Etawah (http://etawah.nic.in/hotels.htm). After that the next reasonable stop is Kanpur (driving time ~8-9 hours from Delhi via YEW - if you can manage to get away from Delhi earlier than the 5 pm you propose) (http://www.tripadvisor.in/Hotels-g66...sh-Hotels.html). Kanpur to Sarnath is 330 km approximately - 5-6 hours' driving time maximum.
Thanks, SS-Traveller. I guess that exhausts all options. Going inside Kanpur would be a time-consuming affair and as you say I would have to leave earlier than planned, which is avoidable. If I had time on hand it would have been nice to stop in Kanpur and visit my alma mater.

Etawah seems feasible. I am keeping my options open. I called up Gunjan Resort at Sirsaganj and they have room available for Rs. 1150. But they can't even provide tea before 7 am in morning. I am so addicted to tea in the morning. Maybe the Hotel Monark at Ferozabad just 20 kms earlier would be better in this respect. At least there would be some outside tea shops.

Thanks again for the trouble you took. It seems to me that I would not have attempted long drives for quite some time if it were not for the Team-BHP travelogues and helpful members.
Old 23rd October 2012, 13:09   #149
BHPian

Just a brief report on my drive to Varanasi and back on NH2.

I left on 19th afternoon at 4.30 pm from Civil Lines, Delhi (my workplace) and reached Sirsaganj at 9 pm comfortably via Yamuna Expressway. Drive on the expressway was nice in the dusk but a bit noisy on the concrete road. Small patches of tarred, black road in between seemed so nice in comparison.

Stayed in Gunjan Resort at Sirsaganj (Thanks to HVK for the lead). It is a decent place to stay and eat with a Petrol pump next door owned by the same people. Rs. 1000 for the night. The quality of Diesel seems all right here.

Started next day at 6.15 and reached a place 28 kms before Varanasi at 2.45. Saw a very bad accident on the way. A huge truck with trailer was lying across the divided sideways and a huge buffalo lying dead. Got off NH2 at the right place thanks to SS-Traveller's precise directions on this thread. But reached Sarnath at 5 pm finally after getting stuck in a big jam 2-3 kms before the Varanasi Railway station. GT road inside the city in a terrible condition.

Started back from Sarnath on 22nd morning 7 am. Was advised that the GT road between Railway Station and NH2 often sees a traffic jam in the morning because Trucks are allowed into the city only till 8 am in the morning.

Alternative route suggested was to turn left on GT road after the Kazakpura railway crossing, instead of turning right toward the Railway Station. Cross the old Ganga Bridge and take a right toward Ramnagar and join NH2 there. I was at NH2 in Ramnagar in 25 minutes but had to pay one additional toll.

Rached home in East Delhi through the expressway at 9.30 pm. Driving on NH2 was a pleasure. Allahabad bypass was great. I have to take frequent breaks (every one and half hours or so) because otherwise my knees jam up. Had one scary moment on the way back. One small truck almost sqeezed me into the divider by suddenly swerving to the right when I was overtaking at about 100 kmph. Fortunately I barely missed the divider. The car was loosing balance because maybe I was over-correcting in coming back onto the road. But after a couple of left and right swerves at reducing speeds I was back in control. I didn't stop. The driver of the truck pointed to the vehicle on his left in an apologetic gesture when I looked back at him.

I was shocked to see the number of dead dogs on the road. I guess these must be dogs because they are unrecognizable. I remember seeing hardly any on NH1 and NH24 in my previous drives.
jhaji is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2012, 16:33   #150
Team-BHP Support

Thanks for updating

Quote:
Had one scary moment on the way back. One small truck almost sqeezed me into the divider by suddenly swerving to the right when I was overtaking at about 100 kmph. Fortunately I barely missed the divider. The car was loosing balance because maybe I was over-correcting in coming back onto the road. But after a couple of left and right swerves at reducing speeds I was back in control. I didn't stop. The driver of the truck pointed to the vehicle on his left in an apologetic gesture when I looked back at him.
Always X 3, make sure the vehicle you are approaching and wish to overtake has no animals, cyclists, vehicles etc ahead (just & he might be overtaking it soon) or by their side. More often than not, they do something (stupid) or the other & the truckers have to swerve. Remember a truck swerves when can't do anything as it dangerous for them as well.

If you can't see ahead, would suggest wait or at-least honk, get approval and go ahead.

Quote:
I was shocked to see the number of dead dogs on the road. I guess these must be dogs because they are unrecognizable. I remember seeing hardly any on NH1 and NH24 in my previous drives.
It is the same story everywhere.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks