Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd April 2016, 22:37   #391
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Delhi-Kolkata by Road | NH2 (now called NH19) in full detail

Hi guys. I am planning to undertake a Delhi-Kolkata-Delhi road trip in July. Confused regarding which car to take. Is the road condition suitable to take the 3 series as I really want to enjoy that on the highway. The other option is tried and tested Altis. I would be traveling with one co-passenger only and hence rear seat comfort is of no concern. I would be most likely doing the trip over 2 days with night halt at Varanasi.

Last edited by drmohitg : 23rd April 2016 at 22:39.
Old 23rd April 2016, 23:43   #392
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I am planning to undertake a Delhi-Kolkata-Delhi road trip in July. Confused regarding which car to take. Is the road condition suitable to take the 3 series as I really want to enjoy that on the highway
My office staff did this journey in 7 series 2 months back without any issues , some rough patches after entering in WB , I will check what was the exact place but it was manageable at low speeds.

An update for guys in Gurgaon or nearby , - KMP Expressway on Manesar - Palwal is fully operational now ( no toll at the moment ) one of best road in this region , it took me less than 20 minutes to cover this stretch , exit is clearly marked at both NH8 & NH2 , you can test maximum speed limits of your vehicles on this road

Last edited by Turbanator : 23rd April 2016 at 23:44.
Old 24th April 2016, 05:57   #393
Distinguished - BHPian

July will be rainy season, Mohit, and road condition will worsen in the eastern parts.
SS-Traveller is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th April 2016, 16:17   #394
BHPian

Recently covered this stretch on our Kolkata-Kashmir grand road trip in my Hyundai EON. Few updates:

Kolkata-Panagarh
Very good Durgapur expressway. Four lane roads all the way. Panagarh bypass, a four lane road, is operational for small vehicles (though a few stretches is still under construction, hence diversions exist, but good roads free of traffic) and it sweetly bypasses the Panagarh chaos.
At night, taking this bypass would be difficult if coming from Delhi side, as no proper sign exist.

Panagarh-Asansol
As PapaBravo mentioned, a worse stretch with countless diversions and with local traffic during daytime, a real mess.

Asansol-Dhanbad-Barhi
Average roads. I made the mistake of taking the correct (left) flank of Barakar bridge and lost 20 minutes amidst the trucks. Its always advisable to take the opposite flank on this bridge. I loved the ghat roads after Topchanchi. But beware of the culverts around Cobra Hill (3 of them). Few undulations exist on the road but manageable till Barhi.

Barhi-Dobhi-Dehri-On-Sone
Good roads. I was surprised by the road condition in Bihar. Smooth roads with proper signage. One lane of the westward flank of Dehri bridge was under construction and was a bit rough. The bridge is smooth on the eastward flank.

Dehri-Mohania-Varanasi-Allahabad
Average to good roads. Worse was the congestion around Varanasi. Faced this while coming back as well. Still coudn't understand the reason for this congestion.Local traffic between Varanasi and Allahabad and a few diversions as well.Superfine Allahabad bypass.

Allahabad-Kanpur-Etawah-Agra
Good roads. Faced massive congestion (2.5 hours standstill) just after Agra while coming back to Kolkata.

Agra-Delhi
Excellent Yamuna Expressway.While returning, connected to Yamuna Expressway from Tappal. That's another story for the upcoming travelogue.

Last edited by gearhead_mait : 26th April 2016 at 16:30.
gearhead_mait is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 17th May 2016, 10:16   #395
BHPian

^^ Do those extortionists in the guise of cops still lurk at Kanpur elevated bypass? During my last traversal in 2014 I had to threaten the daylight out of them to let me go untouched. However, one WB Innova was being coerced for Rs 10,000 to overlook a roof carrier which ironically didn't have any luggage on it.
Old 17th May 2016, 11:12   #396
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drive_factor View Post
^^ Do those extortionists in the guise of cops still lurk at Kanpur elevated bypass?
I was stopped by Kanpur Police on the flyover last month, who wanted to see my papers. Showed the fellow everything he wanted to see - RC, PUC, insurance, DL. I don't have a roof rack, tinted glasses or a siren. Then the cop opened his mouth in public - to take my advice regarding some mouth problems related to his habit of gutkha chewing. I am afraid I managed to scare the living daylights out of him.

Last edited by SS-Traveller : 17th May 2016 at 11:13.
Old 17th May 2016, 11:19   #397
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
I was stopped by Kanpur Police on the flyover last month, who wanted to see my papers. Showed the fellow everything he wanted to see - RC, PUC, insurance, DL. I don't have a roof rack, tinted glasses or a siren. Then the cop opened his mouth in public - to take my advice regarding some mouth problems related to his habit of gutkha chewing. I am afraid I managed to scare the living daylights out of him.
But I am sure after all these years, you must be in first name terms with every cop, dhabawala, fuel pump attendant, etc on NH2
Old 17th May 2016, 16:51   #398
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drive_factor View Post
But I am sure after all these years, you must be in first name terms with every cop, dhabawala, fuel pump attendant, etc on NH2
Dhabawalas and fuel pump attendants - yes, at one or two places. I don't generally stop very often.

Cops - absolutely not. I just make sure there's nothing on the car they can remotely consider fining me for. It certainly helps to have some grey hairs, the family on board, and being a part of the medical profession. Somehow, cops respect doctors.
Old 21st May 2016, 03:25   #399
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
I don't have a roof rack, tinted glasses or a siren.
Totally off topic & just curious, is installing roof rack illegal or we need special permissions for them ? There is a official OEM roof rack accessory for my car which i was planning to buy. Now i am having second thoughts about it
Delhi-Kolkata by Road | NH2 (now called NH19) in full detail-1.jpeg

http://www.india.ford.com/suvs/ecosp...=1249024077590
Old 21st May 2016, 13:21   #400
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samfromindia View Post
...is installing roof rack illegal or we need special permissions for them ?
In UP, PB, UK and HR, I am aware that police stop and fine motorists for having a roof rack on a privately registered vehicle. However yellow plate vehicles are allowed to have roof racks. I don't know whether one can get special permission to install roof racks, though.
Old 1st July 2016, 10:22   #401

Hello Guys,
I am planning to do Delhi-Asansol next weekend. Would be great if someone can help me out with the most recent road condition in that stretch. Also, it would really be helpful if you suggest some budget hotel in Varanasi for staying overnight. Thanks.
Old 19th July 2016, 12:43   #402

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Tripper View Post
Hello Guys,
I am planning to do Delhi-Asansol next weekend. Would be great if someone can help me out with the most recent road condition in that stretch. Also, it would really be helpful if you suggest some budget hotel in Varanasi for staying overnight. Thanks.
Have done Delhi-Asansol and back on my Vento TSI. The following are some of the specifics I just thought to share:

Car: Vento TSI 2016 model.
Onward Journey:

Left Delhi on 9 July 5AM - Reached Varanasi at 5 PM.
Left Varanasi on 10 July 4 AM - Reached Asansol 1:30 PM.

Return Journey:
Left Asansol on 16 July 9:30 AM - Reached Varanasi 9:30PM
Left Varanasi on 17 July 8:30AM - Reached Delhi 9:15PM

Road condition remain good throughout and the weathergod was with us. Overall, had an awesome 'Piku' Trip
Attached Thumbnails
Delhi-Kolkata by Road | NH2 (now called NH19) in full detail-1.jpg  

Delhi-Kolkata by Road | NH2 (now called NH19) in full detail-2.jpg  

Delhi-Kolkata by Road | NH2 (now called NH19) in full detail-3.jpg  

Delhi-Kolkata by Road | NH2 (now called NH19) in full detail-5.jpg  

Delhi-Kolkata by Road | NH2 (now called NH19) in full detail-6.jpg  

Delhi-Kolkata by Road | NH2 (now called NH19) in full detail-7.jpg  

Delhi-Kolkata by Road | NH2 (now called NH19) in full detail-8.jpg  

Road_Tripper is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th August 2016, 12:52   #403

is the new Panagarh Bypass operational? was supposed to start this August. thanks
Old 3rd September 2016, 07:52   #404
Team-BHP Support

What's present condition of Highway after rains ? can anyone who has done this stretch recently or is aware, update here please.
Old 3rd September 2016, 09:04   #405
Distinguished - BHPian

AFAIK, Allahabad-Varanasi and Asansol-Durgapur sections are not suitable for cars with 135 mm GC at the present moment.
SS-Traveller is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks