Team-BHP > Travelogues

Search this Thread
Old 9th March 2020, 21:11   #556
BHPian

Re: Delhi-Kolkata by Road | NH2 (now called NH19) in full detail

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
March 1-2, 2020. A sudden decision to go to Kolkata led to my 43rd one-way trip on the NH19 in either direction. Spent a few hours planning to avoid NH19 to a large extent, routing through Lucknow - Gorakhpur - Muzaffarpur - Barauni - Bhagalpur - Dumka - Asansol - Kolkata. This was because of the multiple reports of traffic jams and roadworks in Eastern UP, Bihar and Jharkhand. Called and bothered Sheel for road updates. But GMap kept insisting that the shortest route in terms of time would be Delhi - Lucknow - Raebareli - Handia - Benaras - (continue on NH19).

Times recorded:
Delhi to Lucknow = 7 hours
Delhi to UP-Bihar border = 14.5 hours
Delhi to Shaktigarh = 24.5 hours

Top speed achieved = 95 kmph.
Last week, I drove from Lucknow to Patna and back on the next day. It was via Faizabad - Gorakhpur bypass - Kushinagar - Gopalganj - Masrakh - Taraiya - Amnour. The roads upto Gopalganj and Barouli/Mahmudupur (which is the diversion to Patna from NH) are absolutely in good condition, barring a 2-km in the Mahmudupur town.

After Kushinagar, places to eat, etc, enroute are very rare. Between Lucknow and Gorakhpur, there are good places, not in frequent gaps, but at Faizabad, at Vikramjot and before Gorakhpur bypass (the famous and recently renovated Dana Pani).

Now, what would be the difference in distance if you had taken this route to Kolkata? And, what would be the condition of the roads connecting Bhagalpur with Asansol?

GMaps showed this route only if your destination is set as Patna (from Lucknow), not via Varanasi/Raibareilly/Allahabad bypass.

Last edited by Vipin Kumar : 9th March 2020 at 21:20.
Old 10th March 2020, 18:35   #557
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vipin Kumar View Post
...what would be the difference in distance if you had taken this route to Kolkata? And, what would be the condition of the roads connecting Bhagalpur with Asansol?
The route we had planned was: https://goo.gl/maps/NH1hP8ZYexiTJuEo9. The distance is ~1700 km, or ~190*km more than the straight route that GMap shows via Varanasi.

GMap was consistently showing ~32-33 hours for the route via Muzaffarpur on that day, whereas the NH19 route was showing ~26-27 hours. Since we were driving late at night through the sections which are notorious for bottlenecks and traffic jams, we hoped to avoid those and have a faster travel time than Google was predicting. In the event, we did make it to Kolkata (airport area) in about 24 hours, but it included a few leisurely stops - so my guess is, a non-stop journey and a faster car than the Bolero Di would have seen us save another 2-3 hours.

OTOH, the alternative route is worth exploring - I know the road from Delhi to Muzaffarpur is smooth and fast in most parts, but I couldn't get definitive inputs on road condition for the stretch from there via Barauni & Dumka to Asansol (~425 km - https://goo.gl/maps/gkT7newyEYodt2hJ9). Feedback from members here would be of great help. Asansol to Kolkata on NH19 is something I am quite familiar with again - very good road condition.
SS-Traveller is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th March 2020, 18:17   #558
BHPian

I drove down this road twice within a span of 10 days during second week of February this year. There was a bit concern about traffic congestion around karmanasha after i heard about the bridge on karmanasha river was broken.

During my onward journey to Varanasi i crossed this place at night so couldn't locate the spot but while returning back I located the bridge. It's still broken but NHAI authority has constructed a two way bypass around the bridge. Flow of traffic is very smooth. Massive expansion work is underway on almost whole NH 19 till Prayagraj bypass, so one should b ready for countless diversions which practically reduces the speed of the vehicle. Once completed i'm sure this road will be a treat to drive on.

Delhi-Kolkata by Road | NH2 (now called NH19) in full detail-k-1.jpg

Delhi-Kolkata by Road | NH2 (now called NH19) in full detail-k-2.jpg

Delhi-Kolkata by Road | NH2 (now called NH19) in full detail-k3.jpg
Few snaps of the Karmanasha bridge
Sujoy76 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 4th April 2020, 22:55   #559

Owing to Coronavirus Scare, Gurgaon is practically shut down. Since I had just moved there a few months ago from Bengaluru owing to work and now have WFH till the situation improves; it made no sense to stay alone, and made perfect reason to always do a road-trip that I had wished someday I will, after watching Piku.

I made this trip *before* the lock-down.
Dates: 19-20-21 March.

Car: Received my new Honda City ZX CVT iVTech with sunroof (Color: Radiant Red, 4-cylinder, 7-gear automatic, with D & Sports mode). Also got some customization done with extra Bose pads, premium seat leather, leather seats ceramic coating, extra-cushions, ambient lighting, Honda bonnet badge in chrome etc.

Preparation:
- Got my 2nd free servicing done, the car having run like 500 Kms in past 2 months or so. Since I was travelling most of the time, it is parked always!
- Filled tank (40 Litres).
- Packed my bags, some books and all the essential items (hand sanitizers, 4 packets of chips, 4 2Litre bottles, 10K in cash etc), also purchased an AmazonBasics Compact Portable Digital Tyre Inflator for emergencies.
- Fastag on car which is mandatory must now - otherwise the cash lines in most tolls and especially in Mohania and in Dhanbad sections had like hundreds and hundreds of trucks parked. Only Fastag lines were empty and I breezed through each one of them within practically 30-40 seconds (stop, scan, move ahead).

Summary:
Drove through 6 States: Haryana, Delhi, UP, Bihar, Jharkhand, West Bengal.
Total Kms: 1,548

Quick Trick I learnt - at road-breakers, I have to reduce speed to complete 0 to be able to cross; otherwise it hits the belly of the car.

Day1: 19th March, started at 6:22am from Gurgaon.
Route: Gurgaon — Agra — Etawah — Lucknow — RaeBareli — Jaunpur — Varanasi (better via Etawah — Kanpur — Varanasi)
Till RaeBareli roads were fabulous, post which till Jaunpur, roads are under construction. Will avoid this stretch and rather take Kanpur whilst going back.
Hotel in Varanasi: Radisson, Varanasi (had a complete deserted look, no guests, lights switched off, the manager mentioned, I am the first guest to walk in as many as 4-5 days, and no one's there). Having said that, they were kind enough to pack me a basket full of bananas, fruits, one juice can, and some sandwiches.
Time: 15 hrs with 2 breaks.
Distance: 850 Kms

Day2: 20th March, started at 7:30am from Radisson, Varanasi.
Varanasi — Chandauli — Kudra — Dehri — Aurangabad — Dhanbad
Hotel in Dhanbad: Hotel the Castle (very kind hearted people, really took great care of me, food was yummy, and I tipped them Rs. 500/- next morning).
Till Dehri roads were good, post which till Aurangabad, roads had loads of pot holes, and also at stretches there were *no* roads at all; cars were passing through mud-stretches. Was feeling bad for my new car, since it was dancing on the roads
Time: 10 hrs with 2 breaks.
Distance: 430 Kms
Top Speed: 100 Kms/hr

Day3: 21st March, started at 9:00am from Dhanbad Hotel.
Dhanbad — Nirsa — Asansol — Raniganj — Durgapur — Bardhaman — Kolkata (home!!!!!)
Amazing roads after Nirsa, once you hit Asansol. One can easily do 120-140+; but since lots of small small villages, and road-side dhabas, and also famous "langcha stretch" comes in between, I did not drive that fast; rather barely touched 100 at times. Also stopped to buy some amazingly tasty langchas and other sweets for home.
Time: 5.5 hrs with my “langcha” breaks in between.
Distance: 268 Kms
Top Speed: 100 Kms/hr

Expenses:
- Honda Service center - servicing/car polishing/waxing = Rs 6K
- Honda 24/7 Road-side assistance (3-year) = Rs 3K
- 1st 2 tolls = Rs. 500 + 500 = Rs. 1K
- Next set of tolls (all via Fastag) = Rs. (65+65+50+110+85+100+95+75+70+85+85) = Rs. 885
- 2 hotels+food = Rs. 7K
- Petrol: Rs. 6K
Approx = Rs. 24,000/-

Overall, really a great experience.

Hopefully, once the situation improves, and Covid-19 lockdown is over, I have plans to do 2 more trips... one is from Kolkata-Deoghar along with parents to visit Baidyanathdham, and another is Kolkata-Digha and back.
Attached Thumbnails
Delhi-Kolkata by Road | NH2 (now called NH19) in full detail-0a.jpg  

Delhi-Kolkata by Road | NH2 (now called NH19) in full detail-1.png  

Delhi-Kolkata by Road | NH2 (now called NH19) in full detail-2.png  

Delhi-Kolkata by Road | NH2 (now called NH19) in full detail-2a.png  

Delhi-Kolkata by Road | NH2 (now called NH19) in full detail-3.png  

Delhi-Kolkata by Road | NH2 (now called NH19) in full detail-5.jpg  

Delhi-Kolkata by Road | NH2 (now called NH19) in full detail-4.jpg  

Delhi-Kolkata by Road | NH2 (now called NH19) in full detail-7.png  

Delhi-Kolkata by Road | NH2 (now called NH19) in full detail-8.jpg  

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 5th April 2020 at 07:48. Reason: Please do NOT post about illegally high speeds on public roads.
sghosh2019 is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 21st June 2020, 12:12   #560
BHPian

Kolkata Delhi query.. May drive down to Faridabad next weekend. Is e pass required now?If yes then from all states in transit or just West Bengal and Haryana? Which route to take? Is it possible at a go if i keep a driver?
Old 21st June 2020, 13:20   #561
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordlover88 View Post
Kolkata Delhi query.. May drive down to Faridabad next weekend. Is e pass required now?If yes then from all states in transit or just West Bengal and Haryana? Which route to take? Is it possible at a go if i keep a driver?
My friend did the NCR-Kolkata trip this week and he did not need any e-passes given that interstate movement is allowed for all of the states on the route. I had taken the Lucknow - Raebareli - Prayagraj bypass - Mughalsarai route in March when traveling from NCR-Kolkata and my friend took the Jaunpur route this week. Basis his feedback, I can say that my route was much better.
Try to take a night halt in Varanasi, as it would not be safe to travel post 9pm given the present scenario and potential increase in crime due to unemployment.
All the top end hotels in Varanasi are offering budget rates now.

We are planning to travel to NCR and return to Kolkata sometime between next week and July. We will be doing it in 2 cars with family. Let me know if you want to make it a convoy of 3!
Having another vehicle definitely makes it safer. I'm looking for company especially for the return trip which I'll be doing alone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sghosh2019 View Post

I made this trip *before* the lock-down.
Dates: 19-20-21 March.

Hopefully, once the situation improves, and Covid-19 lockdown is over, I have plans to do 2 more trips... one is from Kolkata-Deoghar along with parents to visit Baidyanathdham, and another is Kolkata-Digha and back.
Hey, I did this route on the same dates. We've also been planning the Baidyanath dham trip since a year but not able to do it. Another one I've been planning is to Sikkim given that I'm in Kolkata now.
anantpoddar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st June 2020, 13:29   #562

Quote:
Originally Posted by anantpoddar View Post
My friend did the NCR-Kolkata trip this week and he did not need any e-passes given that interstate movement is allowed for all of the states on the route. I had taken the Lucknow - Raebareli - Prayagraj bypass - Mughalsarai route in March when traveling from NCR-Kolkata and my friend took the Jaunpur route this week. Basis his feedback, I can say that my route was much better.
Oh! nice... am now in Kolkata. Looks like will be here till Oct/Nov, and then drive back to Gurgaon. Have plans to go to Digha, Deoghar and Darjeeling... lets see.

Last edited by Sheel : 30th July 2020 at 21:59. Reason: Please quote ONLY the relevant bits of a post. Quoting a full, long post inconveniences our mobile readers. Thanks!
Old 21st June 2020, 20:35   #563
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anantpoddar View Post
We are planning to travel to NCR and return to Kolkata sometime between next week and July. We will be doing it in 2 cars with family. Let me know if you want to make it a convoy of 3!
Having another vehicle definitely makes it safer. I'm looking for company especially for the return trip which I'll be doing alone.
Hi, it would be great if it turns out to a convoy of 3. Would love to join you all. When are you planning to travel? Mine dates are not fixed yet but most probably it will be coming Friday or weekend. I would be staying for two weeks and will return after that. Do let me know of your plans.
Old 30th June 2020, 13:56   #564
BHPian

Quote:
OTOH, the alternative route is worth exploring - I know the road from Delhi to Muzaffarpur is smooth and fast in most parts, but I couldn't get definitive inputs on road condition for the stretch from there via Barauni & Dumka to Asansol (~425 km - https://goo.gl/maps/gkT7newyEYodt2hJ9). Feedback from members here would be of great help. Asansol to Kolkata on NH19 is something I am quite familiar with again - very good road condition.
I returned from Dumka to Kolkata this tuesday. The road is good. Please make sure you drive by Masalia and Nala. Do not take the Jamtara route. Again Asansol to Panagarh is good, though small potholes could be seen between Panagarh and Dankuni.
rahul4640 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th July 2020, 18:13   #565
BHPian

Recently traveled 3 time between Gurugram and Kolkata as I am balancing between my two homes.

All of them was non-stop driving (w/out any night halt).

First GGM to Kol (on 24-25th May) was smooth, total time taken was 24.5 Hrs.

Kolkata to Gurugram on 27th June was horrible (32 hrs). Main problem now is the stretch between Son River and Varanasi Ganges bridge. Managed to escape two massive jams around Chandauli by crossing the divider and pass on the opposite side, but got stuck on the final one for 4 hours…there was no place to move at all. With the help of a police officer, escaped via Varanasi city and joined back NH-19. Each of the jams was min 5-6 kms long.

Return passage on 29th-30th June was smooth, except one jam at Chandauli, which we escaped via interior roads with the help of locals. This time it was 26 hrs.

Be-careful if anyone planning to travel these areas. Suggest to transit these areas during day time only. At night due to heavy jams, truckers straight go to sleep on the road and wake up in the morning.

Cheers
Sail

Last edited by Sheel : 9th July 2020 at 19:50. Reason: Typos.
Sail is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th July 2020, 21:09   #566
BHPian

I need to travel to Varanasi in coming week. Also I will return in next day? Do I need any pre-approved pass from Jharkhand, Bihar and UttarPradesh? And for entering to West Bengal do I need any pass?

Please advise.
Old 1st August 2020, 14:41   #567
BHPian

During my trips, I tried to get as much as travel passes as possible. Specially Haryana, UP and West Bengal.

With Unlock 3, This link might be helpful

https://www.timesnownews.com/auto/fe...country/630430
Sail is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th August 2020, 16:12   #568
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sukanta73 View Post
I need to travel to Varanasi in coming week. Also I will return in next day? Do I need any pre-approved pass from Jharkhand, Bihar and UttarPradesh? And for entering to West Bengal do I need any pass?

Please advise.
No you don't need any passes. I did the Noida-Kolkata trip on 4-5th July, and the return trip on 1-2 August. Had no requirement of passes.

On the first trip they stopped my vehicle at Bengal border, took down personal details and origin and destination details. No other state had any checking.

On the return trip there was checking at Jharkhand border, but they let me through when I told them the destination was Noida and I was doing interstate travel.

What you need to be wary of is route conditions. I have done this route 5 times in the last 8 years, and road condition in Jharkhand & Bihar is the worst I've ever seen. Estimate 11-12 hours, more so if you leave late and encounter truck traffic near Bihar-UP border.
predatorwheelz is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th August 2020, 18:20   #569
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by predatorwheelz View Post
What you need to be wary of is route conditions. I have done this route 5 times in the last 8 years, and road condition in Jharkhand & Bihar is the worst I've ever seen. Estimate 11-12 hours, more so if you leave late and encounter truck traffic near Bihar-UP border.
Yes - this route is proving to be a pain to negotiate, despite paying a steep toll - especially 800 km between Allahabad and Kolkata.

The next time I go to Kolkata, I would like to try this route: https://goo.gl/maps/QZ55XsMtQVFha4Ux7. Google says it's 1700 km, which would add about 200 km to the route length, but the time taken will probably be the same; also, vehicle wear and tear would perhaps be less, and the unpredictability of the NH19 may be avoided.

Gmaps predicts a time of 31 hours, but I think this can be covered in 28 hours or less. The stretch from Delhi to Gorakhpur takes 9.5 - 10 hours without straining oneself, if Lucknow is crossed at/past midnight, though Gmaps is predicting 12h 53min right now.
SS-Traveller is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th August 2020, 22:59   #570
BHPian

Quote:
Yes - this route is proving to be a pain to negotiate, despite paying a steep toll - especially 800 km between Allahabad and Kolkata.
You are right about the new route till muzaffarpur, but from there onward or to be more precise from begusarai zero mile, the route is not good. It is still much better to stick to NH-19.

I usually take 12 hours for Noida- Ibrahimpur, a place after Gopalganj where we turn right for Patna route via new bridge.
Patna to Dhanbad may take 10 hours due to local traffic, trucks and 2 lane road. While route is not the same for Dhanbad but your selected route is expected to be worse.

Last edited by Wanderers : 4th August 2020 at 23:01.
Wanderers is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed