Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th October 2021, 12:01   #691
BHPian

Re: Delhi-Kolkata by Road | NH2 (now called NH19) in full detail

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayakc View Post
Dear SS-da,

I will be taking the Kolkata-Delhi road for the first time this Friday (08-Oct). Google maps shows 3 options out of which it recommends: Kolkata-Varanasi-Allahabad bypass-Rae Barelli-Lucknow-Etawah-ALE-YEW.
Sayak
I will recommend taking Allahabad - Kanpur - Etawah route and based on your end destination, you can either continue towards Agra or take ALE after Etawah.

Have done both ALE-LKO-Rai Barelli-Ald route & Ald-Kanpur-Etawah route 3 weeks backs and strongly recommend latter over former.
Aniket Verma is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th October 2021, 09:49   #692
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aniket Verma View Post
Have done both ALE-LKO-Rai Barelli-Ald route & Ald-Kanpur-Etawah route 3 weeks backs and strongly recommend latter over former.
Is the Rai Barelli route that bad you would recommend it over the Kanpur route. I am planning to take the Rai Barelli route to Lucknow.
Old 16th October 2021, 17:07   #693
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravi Yadav View Post
Is the Rai Barelli route that bad you would recommend it over the Kanpur route. I am planning to take the Rai Barelli route to Lucknow.
Rai Bareilly route is not bad, it's just that if you are coming from Delhi, then crossing Lucknow City + Lucknow Rai Bareilly takes more time (It's two lane at many places) + it's 40 km long.

In Allahabad Kanpur route, other than diversions b/w Khaga & Fatehpur, entire route is six lane highways and higher average speeds can be maintained there.

Added advantage is of having relatively better amenities along the route.

If your end destination is Lucknow, please go ahead with Rai Bareilly route.
Aniket Verma is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 17th October 2021, 20:55   #694
BHPian

Quote:
I will recommend taking Allahabad - Kanpur - Etawah route
Agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravi Yadav View Post
Rai Barelli is not bad but Kanpur route is better as explained by Aniket.

Quote:
Rai Bareilly route is not bad, it's just that if you are coming from Delhi, then crossing Lucknow City + Lucknow Rai Bareilly takes more time (It's two lane at many places) + it's 40 km long.

In Allahabad Kanpur route, other than diversions b/w Khaga & Fatehpur, entire route is six lane highways and higher average speeds can be maintained there.

Added advantage is of having relatively better amenities along the route.
Totally agree with you.
Reason being just returned from Bokaro today and on return took Kanpur route. The average speed on bad stretch was around 70kmh which was also the case with Raibareli route but then you need to drive 50 km more and also enter Lucknow city.
This was considering heavy traffic today as people were returning or traveling due to extended holidays.
Also not everyone likes 2 lane driving so choose wisely.

Other update on route to Kolkata till Jharkhand.
1. NH-19 under expansion from Chouparan to somewhere before Bagodar has plenty of diversion as elevated section is still not completed.

2. Stretch between Sasaram and outskirts of Varanasi remains incomplete at many places with no work in progress. Looks like contractor ran away but not much traffic as I travelled this stretch before 4 pm.

3. God bless the Fastag system or should I say Internet or computer set-up in eastern UP, specially Allahabad bypass toll. It was a problem before Fastag and it still remains a problem. On deep analysis I concluded that it’s also the lower number of lanes which causes long queue.

4. On Yamuna Expressway, choose Fastag (only right most 2 lanes) or cash depending upon length of queue. I found cash lane faster. I believe this is man made problem as it’s known fact that YE company prefers cash having gone bankrupt. On other hand ALE prefers cashless.

5. Plenty of food option now in Jharkhand and Bihar. On that note number of outlets in UP have gone down due to pandemic.

6. I stayed at Sarweshwary Hotel in Varanasi as per some earlier suggestions but I don’t recommend it. For same money you can get many hotels with parking and added good hospitality and food. Bathrooms are not great here and can’t say much about the rooms and hygiene stuffs as well.

7. I always chose to fill up from BP pump. Look for company owned pumps (there are many) or at least “pure for sure” sign. Reliance could also be a good option. On pumps, clean toilet is luxury if you get one.

8. As you go east people have forgotten mask. I sincerely request you to don one. You can choose a comfortable one with a neck lace for ease on ears.

Last edited by Wanderers : 17th October 2021 at 20:59.
Wanderers is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th October 2021, 10:16   #695
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderers View Post
4. On Yamuna Expressway, choose Fastag (only right most 2 lanes) or cash depending upon length of queue. I found cash lane faster. I believe this is man made problem as it’s known fact that YE company prefers cash having gone bankrupt. On other hand ALE prefers cashless.
Yes, it's a man made problem and it's much faster if one chooses Cash lanes depending upon the Fastag queues (Two rightmost lanes)

Quote:
7. I always chose to fill up from BP pump. Look for company owned pumps (there are many) or at least “pure for sure” sign. Reliance could also be a good option. On pumps, clean toilet is luxury if you get one.
Reliance bunks are good option + toilets are cleaner there compared to other bunks. Otherwise sticking to the pump with longest truck queues, it has never disappointed till date
Old 20th October 2021, 22:52   #696
BHPian

That's what I love about Tbhp, so much info readily available when you just need it.

I am doing Kolkata to Dehradun on the last weekend of Oct. It will be a long stretch as I plan to do it with one stop only. Initial plan is to do Kolkata to Lucknow, and second leg will be Lucknow to Dehradun via ALE and YE route.

I know Kolkata to Lucknow is a long route (980 kms), but I have done many 900+ in a single day, so I think I can do it. My only worry is that this is the first time I am doing this route. How are the facilities and fooding options on the way, especially Bihar and Jharkhand? Any recommendations? I plan to leave at 5 am from Kolkata, breakfast around Durgapur, lunch (not sure), dinner (not sure). Need help.

Also, I read couple of posts back that recommendation is to take Allahabad Kanpur Agra route and not via Lucknow. In that case whats the best place stay for night halt. Allahabad?

Due to covid, I normally prefer better hotels for peace of mind. Couldn't find anything convincing in Allahabad. Lucknow has better options. Any thoughts?

And is their anything I should be aware of on this route?

I am less worried about ALE and YE as its more predicatble and I have done YE many times now.
Old 20th October 2021, 23:39   #697
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Interacting for the first time

I will be taking the Kolkata-Delhi road for the first time this Friday (08-Oct).
Didn't receive an update of how your trip went, after our off-forum conversation earlier. Please let us know.
Quote:
Originally Posted by justwheels View Post
I am doing Kolkata to Dehradun on the last weekend of Oct. It will be a long stretch as I plan to do it with one stop only. Initial plan is to do Kolkata to Lucknow, and second leg will be Lucknow to Dehradun via ALE and YE route.

I know Kolkata to Lucknow is a long route (980 kms), but I have done many 900+ in a single day, so I think I can do it.
An absolute highway-noob known to me did the CCU-LKO stretch in 18 hours a couple of weeks ago. So you can certainly do it.

Quote:
My only worry is that this is the first time I am doing this route. How are the facilities and fooding options on the way, especially Bihar and Jharkhand? Any recommendations? I plan to leave at 5 am from Kolkata, breakfast around Durgapur, lunch (not sure), dinner (not sure). Need help.
Plenty of food options nowadays. My favourite is the Khalsa Dhaba at Gobindpur as a first halt from Kolkata. There's a Reliance pump a few km before this point, on the left as you approach from CCU. Avoid fuelling in Bihar, since the price is much higher than in Jharkhand.
Quote:
Also, I read couple of posts back that recommendation is to take Allahabad Kanpur Agra route and not via Lucknow. In that case whats the best place stay for night halt. Allahabad?
Lots of hotel options in the Civil Lines area of Prayagraj, but don't worry, you ought to make it to LKO easily.
Quote:
And is their anything I should be aware of on this route?
The humongous traffic jams I'd faced in Dehri-on-Sone and Sasaram in February this year seem to be a bygone phenomenon from what I hear, but do update once you finish the trip.
Quote:
I am less worried about ALE and YE as its more predicatble and I have done YE many times now.
Mind the speed cameras and the dogs.
SS-Traveller is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st October 2021, 11:34   #698
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by justwheels View Post

I know Kolkata to Lucknow is a long route (980 kms), but I have done many 900+ in a single day, so I think I can do it. My only worry is that this is the first time I am doing this route.

I will recommend journey break at Varanasi (680+ km from Kolkata) and start next day early morning for Dehradun (1050+ km).

Reason is the roads are better + traffic density is lesser on second day.

Or you may choose, Allahabad / Kanpur for your break.

Best hotels will be Kanhashyam at Allahabad & Landmark at Kanpur.
Old 21st October 2021, 12:51   #699
BHPian

Recently came back from a trip to Varanasi - Agra (via Lucknow stopover) - Gwalior - Varanasi. My humble observations:

• Started at 4 AM sharp from my residence at southern part of Kolkata and reached Varanasi outskirts at 5:30 PM with lunch break (1 hr) near Barhi. From Varanasi outskirts to Hotel Radisson near Cantt. Area took around 2 hours with Google maps misleading in multiple points. Specifically took the Ramnagar – Padao Road but with the trademark Varanasi traffic and Google map adding fuel to it made it a long one. So, while going it took me around 15.5 hrs with sedate driving style.

• Chouparan – Slow moving; Sherghati ~ 30 min – Due to victory procession of an election candidate; Dehri on Sone – Breeze; Sasaram – Super smooth

• From Varanasi to Agra, opted for the Jaunpur- Sultanpur route (NH 31-731) based on the feedback of the travel agency with whom we toured Varanasi and was pleasantly surprised. Started from hotel at 8 AM and reached Lucknow at 1 PM. This road has almost 70% 4-lane. From Varanasi to Jaunpur, there are diversions though. But once NH731 takes over its really a magnificent drive with smooth road quality, lots of big Dhaba options as well as fuel stations.

• The ALE is as per expected lines and already much talked about by other members.

• In the return leg was coming from Gwalior to Varanasi. Gwalior to Etawah is 2-laned though with sparse traffic. Crossing Etawah took around 30 minutes and then took the NH19. Etawah to Kanpur is excellent, Kanpur to Prayagraj has numerous diversions and Prayagraj to Varanasi over Handia is silky smooth.

• To avoid the chaotic Varanasi traffic, stayed at hotel Grapevine near Katesar, Ramnagar. This property will be a Ramada property effective November, but owing to the tourist influx, they are accepting bookings. This hotel is much closer to NH19 without having o negotiate the dreaded Varanasi traffic.

• From Varanasi started around 8:45 AM and reached Dankuni in 11.5 hours despite facing torrential rain from Jharkhand onwards. All the popular bottleneck areas were crossed in a breeze and it was really a pleasurable drive.
subhojitb is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 4th November 2021, 19:45   #700
BHPian

Dear Shamindra-da,

Our 15 day trip to Himachal concluded on 21-Oct but had a lot of (office) catchup in the past few days and hence the delay in my response. My first journey up North and it was quite a nice experience. At the outset let me state that I am a sedate driver and rarely exceed speed limits.

Onwards Journey (Kolkata to Delhi)
Kolkata to Varanasi | 700 kms in 14 hrs
  • We started from Kolkata at 5.30 in the morning and reached HHI, Varanasi at 7.30 - roughly 700 kms in 14 hours with breakfast, lunch and tea breaks. We didnt face any truck jams (which I had faced back in March) in the entire route. Most of the road condition is a 4 lane highway. And there is a stretch after crossing Dhanbad and which extends for around a 100 kms (might be wrong here)which is an excellent newly constructed 6 lane highway (similar to Varanasi - Allahabad section).

Varanasi to Tivoli Grand Resort,Karnal Highway | 850 kms in 16 hrs
  • In order to try the A'bad-Lko Expressway, we decided to take the route via Lucknow. Also, Google was suggesting the same route. But after the taking the route, I am not sure whether I will take it again. Reasons:
  • The Allahabad - Lucknow road surface leaves a lot to be desired. Ridden with pot holes, its mostly a 2 lane highway. Whereas, that was still acceptable, the icing in the cake was Lucknow traffic. I havent seen such traffic frenzy in a long, long time. A 4 kms stretch snatched away a good 2 hours of our time.

But once you are on ALE-YEW the pain disappears in a jiffy.

Return Journey
Noida to Varanasi | 780 kms in 13 hrs
  • We took YEW-ALE (took the Etawah exit) onto NH19. Road was superb till Kanpur. However there are a lot of diversions between Kanpur and that continues till the Allahabad bypass.

Varanasi to Kolkata | 700 kms in 14 hrs
  • Again with breakfast, lunch, snacks and finally a packed dinner from Hotel Hindusthan and still we managed to get home within 14 hrs. It was a very smooth journey yet again. We lunched at Shaan-e-Punjab which I have seen referred in this forum by a number of travellers (including you, IIRC). We tried the Dehati Chicken and Tawa Roti - too good

A few "Dhaba food collection" photos to reminisce the highway:
Delhi-Kolkata by Road | NH2 (now called NH19) in full detail-img_20211019_142907.jpg

Delhi-Kolkata by Road | NH2 (now called NH19) in full detail-img_20211021_154940.jpg

Delhi-Kolkata by Road | NH2 (now called NH19) in full detail-img_20211019_141859_1.jpg

[EDITED]:After posting my notes, just noted the post from Subhojitb. @Subhojit: How long did you require to cross Lucknow city and join ALE?

Best Regards,
Sayak

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
Didn't receive an update of how your trip went, after our off-forum conversation earlier. Please let us know.

Last edited by sayakc : 4th November 2021 at 20:05.
sayakc is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 5th November 2021, 11:18   #701
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by subhojitb View Post
hotel Grapevine near Katesar, Ramnagar. This property will be a Ramada property effective November, but owing to the tourist influx, they are accepting bookings.
Thanks for the update.

Hotel Grapevine seems to be a new find. Please add some details, pics and location if you can.
Quote:
... A'bad-Lko Expressway, we decided to take the route via Lucknow. Also, Google was suggesting the same route. But after the taking the route, I am not sure whether I will take it again.
Thanks a lot for the road update.

You're right, I hate to pass through Lucknow city during regular traffic hours, due to the horrible jams there. My preference in negotiating LKO is between 1 am and 7 am, when there is no blockage.
SS-Traveller is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th November 2021, 11:42   #702
BHPian

Quote:
[*]The Allahabad - Lucknow road surface leaves a lot to be desired. Ridden with pot holes, its mostly a 2 lane highway. Whereas, that was still acceptable, the icing in the cake was Lucknow traffic. I havent seen such traffic frenzy in a long, long time. A 4 kms stretch snatched away a good 2 hours of our time.[/list]
I drove Lucknow - Allahabad and back on last Sunday and I must add that this stretch is full of undulating surfaces. It has very bad traffic on road at most places, with tractors and trolleys without even rear lamps. About 120 kms of this section is two-lane single carriageway and with heavy traffic, overtaking is not easy most of the times. It consimes more time on road. But yes, there are no railway crossings anymore in this section and you can bypass most of the small towns.

Soon after crossing Ganges bridge towards Lucknow, the road is in a big mess due to some construction work going on.
Vipin Kumar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th November 2021, 18:45   #703
BHPian

So I need to travel from WB to Punjab this week and below are the routes I am planning to take.

Day 1 : Haldia-Kolkata-Asansol-Varanasi .
Plan is to stay overnight at Varanasi.
Please suggest some good food options dhabas around Asansol and Aurangabad. I am travelling with my dog so most likely can't go into the AC ones. If anyone has ever done this trip with their pet, any suggestions regarding food options would be highly appreciated.
Also, I am planning to start by 4:00 AM. I don't like driving at night so is 4:00 AM good enough so that I can reach by maybe 7 PM?

Day 2 : Varanasi-Allahabad-Lucknow
This is where I need suggestions. I have to travel to Lucknow to meet a friend so can't go via Etawah route. Which route shall I take here. Should I go via Raebareli one or jaunpur one.

Day 3 : Lucknow - Agra - Gurugram

Day 4 : Gurugram - Hisar- Mansa (Pb.)

I have travelled from Agra to Mansa and pretty much sure about the route there. Need suggestions on Day 1 and Day 2 routes.
Old 8th November 2021, 11:10   #704
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohitsharma359 View Post
So I need to travel from WB to Punjab this week and below are the routes I am planning to take.

Day 1 : Haldia-Kolkata-Asansol-Varanasi .
Plan is to stay overnight at Varanasi.
Please suggest some good food options dhabas around Asansol and Aurangabad. I am travelling with my dog so most likely can't go into the AC ones. If anyone has ever done this trip with their pet, any suggestions regarding food options would be highly appreciated.
Also, I am planning to start by 4:00 AM. I don't like driving at night so is 4:00 AM good enough so that I can reach by maybe 7 PM?

Day 2 : Varanasi-Allahabad-Lucknow
This is where I need suggestions. I have to travel to Lucknow to meet a friend so can't go via Etawah route. Which route shall I take here. Should I go via Raebareli one or jaunpur one.

Day 3 : Lucknow - Agra - Gurugram

Day 4 : Gurugram - Hisar- Mansa (Pb.)

I have travelled from Agra to Mansa and pretty much sure about the route there. Need suggestions on Day 1 and Day 2 routes.
I have been traveling Noida-Kharagpur route with my dog a lot. For dhabas I generally eat in my car after ordering with the dog in the car, to avoid unnecessary hassles while eating and curiosity. Also I have travelled with 2 different dogs on this route, my Lab and my mom's Spitz. I have taken the Spitz inside the dhabas a few times since he is docile, but have not done that with my Lab, so depends which dog you have. Rest you can stop at any of the dhabas which look decent, there are not many options unlike the north.
There are some Homestays in Varanasi which are pet friendly. You can try them through booking.com and Airbnb etc. I generally use one which is pretty inside the city.
From Varanasi-lucknow you can take the Rae Bareilly route, it's pretty okay as long as you are used to single lane driving, but the traffic is chaotic and unruly, you have to be careful how you drive. However once you get used to it it's short and fast imo.
Timings from Kolkata to Varanasi, if you leave at 4am you should be at Varanasi at 7pm provided if you keep speeds upto 100kmph. But you never know when you will get stuck in jams, so keep speeds judiciously. From Varanasi to Lucknow if you leave at 5am you should reach there by 1pm.
My last trip during lockdown, Kharagpur to Varanasi took me 10hrs, and Varanasi to Lucknow 5hrs in torrential rains for 1000kms non stop with speeds around 80 to 90 kmph.
SidharthaN is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th November 2021, 12:12   #705
BHPian

Thanks a lot for your inputs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidharthaN View Post
so depends which dog you have.
I have a golden retriever with me. He is really friendly and seldom barks or troubles anyone. However during my travels, I have observed that sometimes dhabas allow him and he just sit under a table with us while we eat. But other times, dhaba owners make a big deal out of it and doesn't allow us to eat. We have had instances where we had requested to arrange a table and couple of chairs outside and they happily obliged. So I guess I'll have to decide on the go there as well about what to do.

Quote:
There are some Homestays in Varanasi which are pet friendly.
Yeah, we are planning to book an airbnb (Kiran Ganga) which looks like it's in the outskirts and very near to highway.

Quote:
it's pretty okay as long as you are used to single lane driving
Thank you for the suggestion. So mostly I would be taking that route only. I am accustomed to the single lane driving as most of the roads in inner Punjab are single lane only. I don't mind single lanes as long as they are manageable and not for too long.

Quote:
Timings from Kolkata to Varanasi, if you leave at 4am you should be at Varanasi at 7pm
I'll be coming from Haldia and It'll take 2-2.5 hours to reach the Dankuni Toll itself. I guess I'll reach around 8-9 PM which should be fine. If roads are open and there is less traffic, I can easily do 100-110. But usually I drive around 90 KM mark and I think having an average speed of 80 should do the trick.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks