Team-BHP > Travelogues


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 7th October 2021, 12:01   #691
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2020
Location: Gurugram
Posts: 62
Thanked: 228 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Default Re: Delhi-Kolkata by Road | NH2 (now called NH19) in full detail

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayakc View Post
Dear SS-da,

I will be taking the Kolkata-Delhi road for the first time this Friday (08-Oct). Google maps shows 3 options out of which it recommends: Kolkata-Varanasi-Allahabad bypass-Rae Barelli-Lucknow-Etawah-ALE-YEW.
Sayak
I will recommend taking Allahabad - Kanpur - Etawah route and based on your end destination, you can either continue towards Agra or take ALE after Etawah.

Have done both ALE-LKO-Rai Barelli-Ald route & Ald-Kanpur-Etawah route 3 weeks backs and strongly recommend latter over former.
Aniket Verma is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th October 2021, 09:49   #692
BHPian
 
Ravi Yadav's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: UP-15
Posts: 146
Thanked: 12 Times
Default Re: Delhi-Kolkata by Road | NH2 (now called NH19) in full detail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aniket Verma View Post
Have done both ALE-LKO-Rai Barelli-Ald route & Ald-Kanpur-Etawah route 3 weeks backs and strongly recommend latter over former.
Is the Rai Barelli route that bad you would recommend it over the Kanpur route. I am planning to take the Rai Barelli route to Lucknow.
Ravi Yadav is offline  
Old 16th October 2021, 17:07   #693
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2020
Location: Gurugram
Posts: 62
Thanked: 228 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Default Re: Delhi-Kolkata by Road | NH2 (now called NH19) in full detail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravi Yadav View Post
Is the Rai Barelli route that bad you would recommend it over the Kanpur route. I am planning to take the Rai Barelli route to Lucknow.
Rai Bareilly route is not bad, it's just that if you are coming from Delhi, then crossing Lucknow City + Lucknow Rai Bareilly takes more time (It's two lane at many places) + it's 40 km long.

In Allahabad Kanpur route, other than diversions b/w Khaga & Fatehpur, entire route is six lane highways and higher average speeds can be maintained there.

Added advantage is of having relatively better amenities along the route.

If your end destination is Lucknow, please go ahead with Rai Bareilly route.
Aniket Verma is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 17th October 2021, 20:55   #694
BHPian
 
Wanderers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Delhi-NCR
Posts: 643
Thanked: 939 Times
Default Re: Delhi-Kolkata by Road | NH2 (now called NH19) in full detail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aniket Verma View Post
I will recommend taking Allahabad - Kanpur - Etawah route
Agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravi Yadav View Post
Is the Rai Barelli route that bad you would recommend it over the Kanpur route. I am planning to take the Rai Barelli route to Lucknow.
Rai Barelli is not bad but Kanpur route is better as explained by Aniket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aniket Verma View Post
Rai Bareilly route is not bad, it's just that if you are coming from Delhi, then crossing Lucknow City + Lucknow Rai Bareilly takes more time (It's two lane at many places) + it's 40 km long.

In Allahabad Kanpur route, other than diversions b/w Khaga & Fatehpur, entire route is six lane highways and higher average speeds can be maintained there.

Added advantage is of having relatively better amenities along the route.
Totally agree with you.
Reason being just returned from Bokaro today and on return took Kanpur route. The average speed on bad stretch was around 70kmh which was also the case with Raibareli route but then you need to drive 50 km more and also enter Lucknow city.
This was considering heavy traffic today as people were returning or traveling due to extended holidays.
Also not everyone likes 2 lane driving so choose wisely.

Other update on route to Kolkata till Jharkhand.
1. NH-19 under expansion from Chouparan to somewhere before Bagodar has plenty of diversion as elevated section is still not completed.

2. Stretch between Sasaram and outskirts of Varanasi remains incomplete at many places with no work in progress. Looks like contractor ran away but not much traffic as I travelled this stretch before 4 pm.

3. God bless the Fastag system or should I say Internet or computer set-up in eastern UP, specially Allahabad bypass toll. It was a problem before Fastag and it still remains a problem. On deep analysis I concluded that it’s also the lower number of lanes which causes long queue.

4. On Yamuna Expressway, choose Fastag (only right most 2 lanes) or cash depending upon length of queue. I found cash lane faster. I believe this is man made problem as it’s known fact that YE company prefers cash having gone bankrupt. On other hand ALE prefers cashless.

5. Plenty of food option now in Jharkhand and Bihar. On that note number of outlets in UP have gone down due to pandemic.

6. I stayed at Sarweshwary Hotel in Varanasi as per some earlier suggestions but I don’t recommend it. For same money you can get many hotels with parking and added good hospitality and food. Bathrooms are not great here and can’t say much about the rooms and hygiene stuffs as well.

7. I always chose to fill up from BP pump. Look for company owned pumps (there are many) or at least “pure for sure” sign. Reliance could also be a good option. On pumps, clean toilet is luxury if you get one.

8. As you go east people have forgotten mask. I sincerely request you to don one. You can choose a comfortable one with a neck lace for ease on ears.

Last edited by Wanderers : 17th October 2021 at 20:59.
Wanderers is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th October 2021, 10:16   #695
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2020
Location: Gurugram
Posts: 62
Thanked: 228 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Default Re: Delhi-Kolkata by Road | NH2 (now called NH19) in full detail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderers View Post
4. On Yamuna Expressway, choose Fastag (only right most 2 lanes) or cash depending upon length of queue. I found cash lane faster. I believe this is man made problem as it’s known fact that YE company prefers cash having gone bankrupt. On other hand ALE prefers cashless.
Yes, it's a man made problem and it's much faster if one chooses Cash lanes depending upon the Fastag queues (Two rightmost lanes)

Quote:
7. I always chose to fill up from BP pump. Look for company owned pumps (there are many) or at least “pure for sure” sign. Reliance could also be a good option. On pumps, clean toilet is luxury if you get one.
Reliance bunks are good option + toilets are cleaner there compared to other bunks. Otherwise sticking to the pump with longest truck queues, it has never disappointed till date
Aniket Verma is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th October 2021, 22:52   #696
BHPian
 
justwheels's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 554
Thanked: 815 Times
Default Re: Delhi-Kolkata by Road | NH2 (now called NH19) in full detail

That's what I love about Tbhp, so much info readily available when you just need it.

I am doing Kolkata to Dehradun on the last weekend of Oct. It will be a long stretch as I plan to do it with one stop only. Initial plan is to do Kolkata to Lucknow, and second leg will be Lucknow to Dehradun via ALE and YE route.

I know Kolkata to Lucknow is a long route (980 kms), but I have done many 900+ in a single day, so I think I can do it. My only worry is that this is the first time I am doing this route. How are the facilities and fooding options on the way, especially Bihar and Jharkhand? Any recommendations? I plan to leave at 5 am from Kolkata, breakfast around Durgapur, lunch (not sure), dinner (not sure). Need help.

Also, I read couple of posts back that recommendation is to take Allahabad Kanpur Agra route and not via Lucknow. In that case whats the best place stay for night halt. Allahabad?

Due to covid, I normally prefer better hotels for peace of mind. Couldn't find anything convincing in Allahabad. Lucknow has better options. Any thoughts?

And is their anything I should be aware of on this route?

I am less worried about ALE and YE as its more predicatble and I have done YE many times now.
justwheels is offline  
Old 20th October 2021, 23:39   #697
Distinguished - BHPian
 
SS-Traveller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 7,587
Thanked: 19,902 Times
Default Re: Delhi-Kolkata by Road | NH2 (now called NH19) in full detail

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayakc View Post
Interacting for the first time

I will be taking the Kolkata-Delhi road for the first time this Friday (08-Oct).
Didn't receive an update of how your trip went, after our off-forum conversation earlier. Please let us know.
Quote:
Originally Posted by justwheels View Post
I am doing Kolkata to Dehradun on the last weekend of Oct. It will be a long stretch as I plan to do it with one stop only. Initial plan is to do Kolkata to Lucknow, and second leg will be Lucknow to Dehradun via ALE and YE route.

I know Kolkata to Lucknow is a long route (980 kms), but I have done many 900+ in a single day, so I think I can do it.
An absolute highway-noob known to me did the CCU-LKO stretch in 18 hours a couple of weeks ago. So you can certainly do it.

Quote:
My only worry is that this is the first time I am doing this route. How are the facilities and fooding options on the way, especially Bihar and Jharkhand? Any recommendations? I plan to leave at 5 am from Kolkata, breakfast around Durgapur, lunch (not sure), dinner (not sure). Need help.
Plenty of food options nowadays. My favourite is the Khalsa Dhaba at Gobindpur as a first halt from Kolkata. There's a Reliance pump a few km before this point, on the left as you approach from CCU. Avoid fuelling in Bihar, since the price is much higher than in Jharkhand.
Quote:
Also, I read couple of posts back that recommendation is to take Allahabad Kanpur Agra route and not via Lucknow. In that case whats the best place stay for night halt. Allahabad?
Lots of hotel options in the Civil Lines area of Prayagraj, but don't worry, you ought to make it to LKO easily.
Quote:
And is their anything I should be aware of on this route?
The humongous traffic jams I'd faced in Dehri-on-Sone and Sasaram in February this year seem to be a bygone phenomenon from what I hear, but do update once you finish the trip.
Quote:
I am less worried about ALE and YE as its more predicatble and I have done YE many times now.
Mind the speed cameras and the dogs.
SS-Traveller is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st October 2021, 11:34   #698
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2020
Location: Gurugram
Posts: 62
Thanked: 228 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Default Re: Delhi-Kolkata by Road | NH2 (now called NH19) in full detail

Quote:
Originally Posted by justwheels View Post

I know Kolkata to Lucknow is a long route (980 kms), but I have done many 900+ in a single day, so I think I can do it. My only worry is that this is the first time I am doing this route.

Also, I read couple of posts back that recommendation is to take Allahabad Kanpur Agra route and not via Lucknow. In that case whats the best place stay for night halt. Allahabad?

I will recommend journey break at Varanasi (680+ km from Kolkata) and start next day early morning for Dehradun (1050+ km).

Reason is the roads are better + traffic density is lesser on second day.

Or you may choose, Allahabad / Kanpur for your break.

Best hotels will be Kanhashyam at Allahabad & Landmark at Kanpur.
Aniket Verma is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st October 2021, 12:51   #699
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 70
Thanked: 216 Times
Default Re: Delhi-Kolkata by Road | NH2 (now called NH19) in full detail

Recently came back from a trip to Varanasi - Agra (via Lucknow stopover) - Gwalior - Varanasi. My humble observations:

• Started at 4 AM sharp from my residence at southern part of Kolkata and reached Varanasi outskirts at 5:30 PM with lunch break (1 hr) near Barhi. From Varanasi outskirts to Hotel Radisson near Cantt. Area took around 2 hours with Google maps misleading in multiple points. Specifically took the Ramnagar – Padao Road but with the trademark Varanasi traffic and Google map adding fuel to it made it a long one. So, while going it took me around 15.5 hrs with sedate driving style.

• Chouparan – Slow moving; Sherghati ~ 30 min – Due to victory procession of an election candidate; Dehri on Sone – Breeze; Sasaram – Super smooth

• From Varanasi to Agra, opted for the Jaunpur- Sultanpur route (NH 31-731) based on the feedback of the travel agency with whom we toured Varanasi and was pleasantly surprised. Started from hotel at 8 AM and reached Lucknow at 1 PM. This road has almost 70% 4-lane. From Varanasi to Jaunpur, there are diversions though. But once NH731 takes over its really a magnificent drive with smooth road quality, lots of big Dhaba options as well as fuel stations.

• The ALE is as per expected lines and already much talked about by other members.

• In the return leg was coming from Gwalior to Varanasi. Gwalior to Etawah is 2-laned though with sparse traffic. Crossing Etawah took around 30 minutes and then took the NH19. Etawah to Kanpur is excellent, Kanpur to Prayagraj has numerous diversions and Prayagraj to Varanasi over Handia is silky smooth.

• To avoid the chaotic Varanasi traffic, stayed at hotel Grapevine near Katesar, Ramnagar. This property will be a Ramada property effective November, but owing to the tourist influx, they are accepting bookings. This hotel is much closer to NH19 without having o negotiate the dreaded Varanasi traffic.

• From Varanasi started around 8:45 AM and reached Dankuni in 11.5 hours despite facing torrential rain from Jharkhand onwards. All the popular bottleneck areas were crossed in a breeze and it was really a pleasurable drive.
subhojitb is offline   (1) Thanks
Reply

Most Viewed
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks