Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th March 2012, 08:47   #106
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Delhi-Kolkata by Road | NH2 (now called NH19) in full detail

Some photographs depicting road condition between the UP-BR border and Dehri-on-Sone. Hema Malini is starting to show her age, and her cheeks have wrinkles and undulations on their surface!

Delhi-Kolkata by Road | NH2 (now called NH19) in full detail-dsc07466k300.jpg

Delhi-Kolkata by Road | NH2 (now called NH19) in full detail-dsc07467k300.jpg

Delhi-Kolkata by Road | NH2 (now called NH19) in full detail-dsc07468k300.jpg

The bridge over the Sone river

Delhi-Kolkata by Road | NH2 (now called NH19) in full detail-dsc07473k300.jpg
SS-Traveller is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th March 2012, 13:19   #107
Distinguished - BHPian

Topchanchi (Topchanchi Dhanbad Jharkhand - Maps & Travel Guide) is a little place on the NH2 that disappears as fast as it comes up. But you do tend to notice it because of the multitude of shops selling swords, spears, axes and other such arms.

Delhi-Kolkata by Road | NH2 (now called NH19) in full detail-dsc07481k300.jpg
Old 1st April 2012, 18:12   #108
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Delhi-Kolkata : Trip#29 on NH-2

Trip #29 happened yesterday.

Departure from Kolkata at 4:50 AM. Reached home at Delhi at 3:10 AM (today). That's 22 hours 20 minutes.

The westbound stretch of NH2 between the Ganga bridge at Benaras and the Allahabad bypass continues to be bumpy - in worse condition than the eastbound carriageway.

Look out for an unassuming diesel pump about 2-3km before the turnoff to Benaras city on NH2, as you come from Allahabad side. It's about 19 km after you cross the Ganga bridge while coming from the eastern side. It's an HP pump, decrepit signboard, surprisingly the name says: Abhishek Tours and Travels. The address is: GT Road, Rupapur, Mirza Murad, Varanasi. His fuel returned me 14.85km/l on the way out, till the next refill stop at Asansol. On the way back, I got 13.56 km/l, IMO mainly because I was cruising @105-110 km/h, instead of @95-100 km/h on the outbound trip.

Incidentally the NH2 has been signposted as the AH1 at multiple points along the highway. More info here: AH1 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia, Asian Highway Network - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

Last edited by SS-Traveller : 1st April 2012 at 18:27.
Old 1st April 2012, 20:09   #109
BHPian

Re: Delhi-Kolkata : Trip#29 on NH-2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
Incidentally the NH2 has been signposted as the AH1 at multiple points along the highway. More info here: AH1 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia, Asian Highway Network - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.
I know this is but is this part of the NH renaming scheme in India which is supposed to happen/will happen/has happened? Does anybody know the status of that initiative? I had seen some arbitrary number changes in some NH in Google Maps but not uniform at all. I received a map update from MMI recently and even they haven't changed the nos. yet.
Old 1st April 2012, 20:30   #110
Senior - BHPian

^^^
Hi,
I really don't care for the nomenclature change, but what about the chainage? Is that remaining the same, or changing?

Regards
Sutripta
Old 1st April 2012, 23:37   #111
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samarjitdhar View Post
...is this part of the NH renaming scheme in India which is supposed to happen/will happen/has happened? Does anybody know the status of that initiative?
IMO the AH1 nomenclature is in addition to this road still being called NH2 as a part of the Indian highway network.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
...what about the chainage? Is that remaining the same, or changing?
Chainage? You mean the distances between two points?

Well, 20 years ago, we used to travel 1465 km door-to-door on the old highway.

Not too long ago, it used to be 1500 km exsct.

This time, it's 1537-1540 km.

The next time, if you want this road tracked, you've got to send me the GPS tracker that you talked about.
Old 2nd April 2012, 21:22   #112
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
IMO the AH1 nomenclature is in addition to this road still being called NH2 as a part of the Indian highway network.

Chainage? You mean the distances between two points?
The next time, if you want this road tracked, you've got to send me the GPS tracker that you talked about.
Chainage - the Km value painted on the spine of mileposts/ bridges/ culverts.

It is a datalogger. But you have to go the whole hog if you want to 'paisa vasool' it. And it has a broken power switch. I have to show you how to use a bent paperclip to turn it on and off!

Regards
Sutripta
Sutripta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th April 2012, 20:58   #113
Distinguished - BHPian

The tolls paid along with the time stamps where available, for our return journey on 31 March 2012 (reaching Delhi 01 April 2012).

Delhi-Kolkata by Road | NH2 (now called NH19) in full detail-toll.jpg
Old 5th June 2012, 12:43   #114
BHPian

Dear SS Traveller, thanks for all the info on your travelouges

I am embarking on a trip to Siliguri on the 10th.

The route Noida - Agra - Kanpur - Allahabad - Varanasi - Aurangabad - Gaya - Bihar Sharif - Mokameh - Purnia - Kishanganj - Siliguri

I plan to leave at 3 in the morning, so I guess should reach Varanasi by 3 pm. What would be a good night halt option, Mohania or Aurangabad considering the fact that my wife and kids are travelling with me.

And the big question, how safe is it to travel through Bihar at night, cause if it is, I might as well carry on till Gaya, but estimate that will reach there by 8-9 in the night. What do you suggest...
Old 5th June 2012, 13:48   #115
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by damanshaheed View Post
...Varanasi - Aurangabad - Gaya - Bihar Sharif - Mokameh - Purnia - Kishanganj - Siliguri
I would prefer this route: Varanasi, Uttar Pradesh to Siliguri, West Bengal - Google Maps. Route info from Bhagalpur onwards is updated here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by damanshaheed View Post
...how safe is it to travel through Bihar at night...
8 - 9pm on NH2 in JH/BR is not unsafe, unless you break down and are left stranded overnight in areas like Sherghati or Chouparan. That said, in your situation I would stop overnight at Varanasi, and resume journey the next morning.
Quote:
What would be a good night halt option, Mohania or Aurangabad...
Sasaram has a couple of decent hotels, and so does Dehri-on-Sone. I don't think Mohania has anything that you might like. Aurangabad, I don't know.
Old 7th June 2012, 02:49   #116
BHPian

[quote=SS-Traveller;2798917]I would prefer this route: Varanasi, Uttar Pradesh to Siliguri, West Bengal - Google Maps.

I had considered the route suggested by you, but with the recent unfortunate political developments in Arrah and with the ongoing protest, I feel it is better to avoid this section.

Your suggestion taken, staying the night at Varanasi....any more insight is gladly appreciated

n btw going off topic, tbhp sticker sightings do go unacknowledged in Delhi-NCR, experienced it myself quite a few times, so the next time you spot a silver safari with a LTD sticker on the right bottom boot door and a northern motorsport sticker right below it, it is me.. honk, flash your lights, would be great to meet you....
damanshaheed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th June 2012, 20:38   #117
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by damanshaheed
All is expected to be quiet, and things should simmer down in Arrah by the 10th/11th. Sheel, would you be able to give a better update of the ground situation there?
Old 12th June 2012, 08:59   #118
Senior - BHPian

Hi guys,
Can someone clue me in on to hotels/ motels on (no detours into towns) NH2 between Aurangabad and Etawah. Meant for family of four (including elderly parents) + dog. Strictly for overnight stay.

People leaving tomorrow early morning.

Regards
Sutripta
Old 12th June 2012, 09:34   #119
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
...hotels/ motels on (no detours into towns) NH2 between Aurangabad and Etawah. Meant for family of four (including elderly parents) + dog.
Little bit of info that I could gather... BR tourism hotel at Mohania called Hotel Kaimur Vihar - on NH-2, Phone: 06187-222822. Other hotel nearby is hotel Samta Singasan, Phone: 92342-41487.

Pet policies do not exist in smaller hotels on the highways, I am told, and it depends on the individual's convincing power (and a little overpayment I am sure).
SS-Traveller is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th June 2012, 12:07   #120
Senior - BHPian

^^^
Hi,
Thanks. I think by specifying 'on the GQ', have severely limited available options. Shall we relax it to 'easily located and accessed from GQ'.

How are Bihar Tourism hotels? Bihar Tourism site gives
Shershah Vihar, Sasaram;

There is also a file for other hotels. Judging by cost, Mrignayni and JK (both in Aurangabad) should be OK. Mrignayni seems to be on the GQ.

Any thoughts?

Regards
Sutripta

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks