Team-BHP > Travelogues

Search this Thread
Old 4th August 2020, 23:12   #571
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Delhi-Kolkata by Road | NH2 (now called NH19) in full detail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderers View Post
...to be more precise from begusarai zero mile, the route is not good.
From Begusarai to which point is the road condition bad? I'm given to understand that Dumka to Kolkata is a good stretch.
Quote:
Patna to Dhanbad may take 10 hours due to local traffic, trucks and 2 lane road. While route is not the same for Dhanbad but your selected route is expected to be worse.
How long does it take from Ibrahimpur to Patna? How is the road condition?
SS-Traveller is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th August 2020, 02:19   #572
BHPian

I'm planning to do the Kolkata-Delhi stretch in the second week of August and return by end of the month.

Given that a lot of members are saying to avoid the Sasaram-Chandauli route, I was exploring alternatives, namely via Gorakhpur.

Option 1: ~28 Hours as per GMaps (1600kms)
Travel till Dehri-on-Sone and take a right to Bikramganj-Bhojpur-Buxar-Rasra-Bhagalpur Bridge-Deoria-Gorakhpur Bypass-Lucknow-Agra-NCR

Option 2: ~28 Hours (1500kms)
Stick to the tried and tested NH-19 (Sasaram-Chandauli), though with roads that require a Mars Rover to navigate the large craters and truck traffic.

The Question
Any advice on the viability of option 1, whether I should look at another route to reach Gorakhpur? Or stick to NH19

My order of preference:
1. Well laid and traffic free roads
2. Sticking to familiar roads (NH-19) in the present scenario

Most importantly, if another BHPian wants to join me in doing this stretch, they are most welcome.
anantpoddar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th August 2020, 06:51   #573
Distinguished - BHPian

For everyone planning to take the Muzaffarpur-Gorakhpur route, please be advised that there have been disruptions at few places due to massive floods. Some roads and bridges have been closed. Even the Patna-Gorakhpur route has some diversions. So please check exactly and then proceed.
BoneCollector is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th August 2020, 12:27   #574
Senior - BHPian

Even I am planning to do a Noida to Guwahati by 16th or 17th Aug 2020 via the Muzaffarpur-Gorakhpur route. I had been told by our moderator Sheel that the route is functional except for the Aaria to Siliguri stretch. Could you tell us the points where the possible disruptions could be?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneCollector View Post
For everyone planning to take the Muzaffarpur-Gorakhpur route, please be advised that there have been disruptions at few places due to massive floods. Some roads and bridges have been closed. Even the Patna-Gorakhpur route has some diversions. So please check exactly and then proceed.
Old 5th August 2020, 19:30   #575
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
From Begusarai to which point is the road condition bad? I'm given to understand that Dumka to Kolkata is a good stretch.

How long does it take from Ibrahimpur to Patna? How is the road condition?
We take Begusarai-Mokama-Bhakhtiyarpur-Biharsarif-Nawada-Rajauli-Koderma-Jhumri Tiliya- Barhi to join NH19 for Dhanbad/Bokaro. It takes 6 hours to Barhi with 1 hr break. Expect jam near Nawada/ Bihar Sarif.

I am not sure about your route to Dumka but if its the same road which we take to go to Deoghar, it was 2 lane road with moderate traffic some 5 years back. Average speed less than 30 kmh.

Ibrahimpur to patna is 4 hours, wide 2 lane with some jam at couple of bazaars and railway crossings but road is well done.
From patna, you can take gaya route to join NH19 at Dobhi. Bodhgaya can be a good stoppage point.

From patna to NH19 either via Dobhi or Barhi, both are equally below expectations due to bazaars crowd in Gaya route and trucks in Barhi route. In night gaya route is clean. I am also told that patna gaya route four laning under progress so people prefer the other route to join at Barhi.

All in all, I still suggest to stick to NH19, unless you want to enjoy the new route, which I believe you have already done on your way to Assam.

Last edited by Wanderers : 5th August 2020 at 19:32.
Wanderers is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2020, 20:49   #576
BHPian

I did this trip over 29th-30th August. With the offices not scheduled to open anytime soon, we decided to head home so that we can at least have some company. Also, we hadn't stepped outside our locality ever since the lock down started, our only outings (and for the Swift as well) were the weekly trips to the market. Even with the most circuitous route, it was barely above 5 KM. So, even after considering the risks, we both were looking forward to this trip.

Due to the pandemic, outside food was ruled out. We carried our own food in addition to sanitizers, a big can of Savlon spray and the now ubiquitous masks, adhering to current travel rules. Both of us preferred not to stay anywhere during the night, but I simply detest night travel on Indian highways. So we decided to stop at Allahabad or Varanasi. Luckily, we made it to Varanasi on Saturday.

Planned to start at 4AM, and managed to start by 4:30.

Delhi-Kolkata by Road | NH2 (now called NH19) in full detail-img_1992.jpg
Reached YEW after a little more than 1 hour.

Delhi-Kolkata by Road | NH2 (now called NH19) in full detail-img_5180.jpg
Lovely vistas

Delhi-Kolkata by Road | NH2 (now called NH19) in full detail-img_5182.jpg
Agra Lucknow Expressway. This was not made of concrete unlike the Yamuna expressway, so the ride was much more smooth.

Delhi-Kolkata by Road | NH2 (now called NH19) in full detail-img_5187.jpg
Remember the IAF aircraft landing on a road? It was on this stretch. Only, this part stretching for a few KMs was made of concrete, and there are proper diversions which vehicles needs to take if an aircraft decides to land here.

Reached Lucknow a little before 12 and went straight to a petrol pump. Till now the roads were superb but we were apprehensive of what laid ahead. And it did turn rough. In-spite of paying a toll, the stretch till RaeBareli was riddled with potholes. After crossing RaeBareli, we came upon a place where Google was asking us to go left but there was a road straight ahead with a board saying 'Prayagraj'. A policeman told us that this road is blocked for heavy vehicles, so it was a no brainer to take this road.

Delhi-Kolkata by Road | NH2 (now called NH19) in full detail-img_1995.jpg
Had our lunch on a comparatively desolate stretch. The road was lovely with good tarmac and very little truck/bus traffic. And the best part was this led almost all the way till the outskirts of Prayagraj. We were within 30KM of Prayagraj by 3PM, so we decided to continue till Varanasi.

Delhi-Kolkata by Road | NH2 (now called NH19) in full detail-img_5191.jpg
Joined the Delhi Kolkata road now. The tarmac was good.

Delhi-Kolkata by Road | NH2 (now called NH19) in full detail-img_5193.jpg
Approaching storm in Handia, very near to Varanasi

Delhi-Kolkata by Road | NH2 (now called NH19) in full detail-upl1.jpg
After the rain.. this is the only picture I took of our steed

Delhi-Kolkata by Road | NH2 (now called NH19) in full detail-img_1999.jpg
Sunset..

Delhi-Kolkata by Road | NH2 (now called NH19) in full detail-img_2001.jpg
From Team-BHP, I'm aware of the conditions of Bangalore traffic, the conditions of the Kolkata Siliguri road. All pales in front of what we saw. This snarl easily stretched on for more than a KM, in fact, I would not be surprised if it was 3-4 KM long. This was around 6PM, hardly a few KMs from Varanasi. I sincerely sympathize with those who were unfortunate enough to be stuck there. My return date is not fixed yet, still I'm dreading the day when I have to return, due to this. If anyone knows any alternate route or have any tips on how to avoid this, please suggest so. Unsurprisingly, lots of cars were driving on the wrong side here.

We spent the night in Varansi and next day, we started around 6AM. The stretch till Bihar border had numerous diversions and the tarmac was also patchy at best. After crossing into Bihar, the roads improved. But we were stuck for some time at the Sasaram toll. Again, the other side had much heavier traffic.

Soon we crossed into Jharkhand and the route turned really scenic.

Delhi-Kolkata by Road | NH2 (now called NH19) in full detail-img_5200.jpg
Somewhere near Hazaribagh..

Delhi-Kolkata by Road | NH2 (now called NH19) in full detail-img_5203.jpg
Near Isri..

Delhi-Kolkata by Road | NH2 (now called NH19) in full detail-img_2006.jpg
In-spite of Covid, couldn't resist buying some Kheermohans from this shop. Also, we did not have any proper food for today, so after the quick breakfast from the hotel, we had to survive on varieties of biscuits, all kinds of dried fruits, dates etc.

Now the roads in Jharkhand was till then, tolerable. But after Chauparan, the roads turned absolutely awful. Speed dropped drastically and it was a nightmare of bad roads, traffic snarls and ill planned toll booths which continued for around 3 hours. I simply don't understand how NHAI can charge money when the roads are that bad. Thankfully after Dhanbad, roads improved, almost to expressway standards which continued all the way till Kolkata.

Delhi-Kolkata by Road | NH2 (now called NH19) in full detail-img_5205.jpg
After Durgapur, the roads turned into a 4 laned road, though the tarmac was excellent. But there were small potholes, and they increased in number as we neared Kolkata. I couldn't avoid all of them, passed over some at around 50 KMPH. Yet after the torturous road of Jharkhand, I felt our Swift had magic body control whenever I passed over one Barring a small stretch of NH19 near Dankuni and the horrible condition of the 16 KM long Belghoria expressway inside Kolkata, roads in West Bengal were mostly good.

Delhi-Kolkata by Road | NH2 (now called NH19) in full detail-img_2010.jpg
Bought some sweets from Shaktigarh.

Delhi-Kolkata by Road | NH2 (now called NH19) in full detail-img_2025.jpg
And finally, around 7PM, we reached Kolkata.

On both days, I approximately drove for 13 hours each. And this includes breaks of more than 1 hour each day for lunch, snacks, bio breaks and even light nap for 5 minutes.

Total toll was 2265/-. No doubt it was stressful in some stretches, but overall, I thoroughly enjoyed the drive. Till now, this is the longest I have driven @1500KM. About fuel, I filled her up to the brim thrice, once before leaving in Delhi, then at Lucknow and finally at Jharkhand. Total petrol expenses came at around 7500/-.

About the car, when the second gen Swift came out, Hormazd Sorabjee mentioned in a car show that the new K series engine is a 'gem of an engine'. After this 1500KM drive, I can say with confidence that he was absolutely right. The engine was always very refined, and after this long drive, this has attained almost an EV level of quietness. I literally have to press the accelerator when stuck in traffic to know that the engine is indeed running. Also, people always praise the driving dynamics of the Swift, and after Madhya Pradesh, I got the chance to try them out again in the hills and twisties of Jharkhand

Delhi-Kolkata by Road | NH2 (now called NH19) in full detail-upl2.jpg
And lastly, I want to enquire from the members here what to do with this? Apparently, I over-sped, but the toll operator didn't say anything to me and we didn't notice this at all. Only today, when I was looking at the toll receipts that I came to know we were handed this as well. I'm not a rash driver and knowing the safety levels of the car, I always drive within limits. But in YEW and the ALE, sometimes the speedo reached around 110 before I got it down. Anyways, I am willing to pay and I tried to search for a chalan online but unlike Delhi police, I couldn't get anything at echallan.parivahan.gov.in, whenever I try searching by the vehicle number, it keeps asking chassis or engine number (I haven't called at the given mobile number yet).
avi_swift is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2020, 13:53   #577
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avi_swift View Post
Apparently, I over-sped, but the toll operator didn't say anything to me and we didn't notice this at all. Only today, when I was looking at the toll receipts that I came to know we were handed this as well. I'm not a rash driver and knowing the safety levels of the car, I always drive within limits. But in YEW and the ALE, sometimes the speedo reached around 110 before I got it down. .
Thanks for writing in a crisp report and route description of Del-Kolkata route. After doing Del-Goa-Del last year, this would be my next choice of highway/city.

As regards the speed violation, did the toll operator just handed this to you casually with no mention? I had heard and seen (but not experienced) that they book you basis your average speed (Distance covered/Time taken) and the moment you pay toll, the operator themselves call the cops stationed there, for the violation and payment.

It wouldn't be bad idea then, in case one happens to cross the threshold limit while driving, simply wait for/idle away some reasonable time before crossing the toll (to increase the time taken to cover a stretch) Maybe can be tried on your way back to Delhi!

Try the following and see if it works: www.traffic.uppolice.gov.in › MyChallan

Enjoy your stay at home

Last edited by Diesel_Drives : 3rd September 2020 at 13:53. Reason: Typo
Diesel_Drives is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2020, 18:34   #578
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel_Drives View Post
Thanks for writing in a crisp report and route description of Del-Kolkata route. After doing Del-Goa-Del last year, this would be my next choice of highway/city.

As regards the speed violation, did the toll operator just handed this to you casually with no mention? I had heard and seen (but not experienced) that they book you basis your average speed (Distance covered/Time taken) and the moment you pay toll, the operator themselves call the cops stationed there, for the violation and payment.

It wouldn't be bad idea then, in case one happens to cross the threshold limit while driving, simply wait for/idle away some reasonable time before crossing the toll (to increase the time taken to cover a stretch) Maybe can be tried on your way back to Delhi!

Try the following and see if it works: www.traffic.uppolice.gov.in › MyChallan

Enjoy your stay at home
Yes, the toll operator probably handed me this with the toll receipt. Since he didn't mention anything and we didn't look as well, this was buried under mounting toll receipts till we finally saw it at home. What I don't understand is: why the operator didn't ask us to pay the fine right away?

I saw many people literally flying past me both on YEW and ALE. Now I think they must have waited before crossing the toll booth. Since I didn't intentionally over-speed even once and was also trying to cover the maximum distance for the day, this idea didn't come to me

On clicking the challan section of the site you mentioned, it leads to the site I have tried earlier, i.e it keeps asking for engine/chassis number and cannot search for challans based only on the registration number

About the road, go ahead and make this trip as soon as conditions allow. Except for the nightmarish Jharkhand roads and the humongous truck traffic in Sasaram and Varanasi, I found the other sections to be in pretty good shape. You will enjoy this drive.
avi_swift is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th September 2020, 10:25   #579
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

About the road, go ahead and make this trip as soon as conditions allow. Except for the nightmarish Jharkhand roads and the humongous truck traffic in Sasaram and Varanasi, I found the other sections to be in pretty good shape. You will enjoy this drive.
I could be mistaken but the truck traffic you saw is there almost 365 days a year. Its more like a road block in real sense. So what I have seen people do (and every single car does that) is to get on the other side of the road. Every LCV drives on the other side till the truck blockade ends.

I had a query though. Did you need to carry permissions or where there any documentation checks at state borders?
Pancham is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th September 2020, 12:08   #580
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancham View Post
I could be mistaken but the truck traffic you saw is there almost 365 days a year. Its more like a road block in real sense. So what I have seen people do (and every single car does that) is to get on the other side of the road. Every LCV drives on the other side till the truck blockade ends.
You mean the snarl on the outskirts of Varanasi? If it's a near permanent feature, do you know any alternate roads or have any tips on how to beat it? I'm really freaked out after seeing this, as I don't think anyone unfortunate enough to get stuck there will be able to escape before few hours have passed. Of course driving on the other side is an option and if faced with this situation, I will also probably have to do that as well. But if possible, I really want to avoid that. The reason is we were also stuck for 10-15 minutes on the outskirts of Varanasi, due to vehicles coming from the wrong side. That was a super harrowing time for me, as with cars, bikes, trucks and what not coming from all directions, I was very scared about something hitting us. And it was getting dark by that time (around 6PM), so high beams added to the menace. Thus in-spite of all the exhaust fumes, we lowered the window for that part so that we may signal other vehicles(especially trucks) if required. Thanks to the infamous Delhi pollution, we had N95 masks, which made it possible to drive like that. The worst of Delhi traffic I have faced does not come anywhere close to it and I literally heaved a big sigh of relief after coming out unscathed.

One weird thing we saw was: the snarl was always on the Delhi side, the Kolkata side was relatively empty. This was both on the outskirts of Varanasi and the Sasaram toll.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancham View Post
I had a query though. Did you need to carry permissions or where there any documentation checks at state borders?
No permissions required as of today and there were no document checks as well. In fact, other than Delhi and Kolkata, we hardly saw anyone wearing masks, even in Lucknow and Varanasi (the hotel guys obviously were the exception). It was almost as if things have turned completely normal. The only thing was that the vast majority of the dhabas after Lucknow were closed. But judging by the number of cars parked, the ones on the YEW and ALE were open.
avi_swift is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th September 2020, 13:47   #581
BHPian

Quote:
Attachment 2050997
And lastly, I want to enquire from the members here what to do with this? Apparently, I over-sped, but the toll operator didn't say anything to me and we didn't notice this at all. Only today, when I was looking at the toll receipts that I came to know we were handed this as well. I'm not a rash driver and knowing the safety levels of the car, I always drive within limits. But in YEW and the ALE, sometimes the speedo reached around 110 before I got it down. Anyways, I am willing to pay and I tried to search for a chalan online but unlike Delhi police, I couldn't get anything at echallan.parivahan.gov.in, whenever I try searching by the vehicle number, it keeps asking chassis or engine number (I haven't called at the given mobile number yet).
As I see this, this is not an official challabn, until and unless it appears on the vahan website. Also, the speed is 102 kmph against a stiputaled 10okmph, and there is a gazette order saying that speeds in excess of 5% of the legal limit are not to be taken cognizance of.
Attached is the gazzette notification, please look towards the end of document. While it may be titles as a draft notification, it was published in the gazette. I just can't seem to locate that copy

Rgds

Vineet
VineetG is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th September 2020, 17:53   #582
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VineetG View Post
Also, the speed is 102 kmph against a stiputaled 10okmph, and there is a gazette order saying that speeds in excess of 5% of the legal limit are not to be taken cognizance of.
Attached is the gazzette notification, please look towards the end of document. While it may be titles as a draft notification, it was published in the gazette. I just can't seem to locate that copy
This is really helpful buddy

Never knew of this rule, till I read your post. And the notification you have attached is the same which is also listed on Ministry of Road Transport & Highways website. Moment you download the file, it reads draft notification but says nothing like this, in the listing.

Link : https://morth.nic.in/notification?page=3
Attached Thumbnails
Delhi-Kolkata by Road | NH2 (now called NH19) in full detail-slide1.jpg  

Last edited by Diesel_Drives : 8th September 2020 at 17:58. Reason: Typo
Old 8th September 2020, 19:56   #583
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

On clicking the challan section of the site you mentioned, it leads to the site I have tried earlier, i.e it keeps asking for engine/chassis number and cannot search for challans based only on the registration number
You have to register when using the website for the first time. It asks your registration number, chassis number and engine number (the latter 2 being mentioned on your car's RC). Then you will be asked to enter your mobile number, confirm it with an OTP and then directed to the challan page where any pending challans would be shown. Better to check it. However it may take its own sweet time to reflect on the challan page.
drmohitg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2020, 17:49   #584
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VineetG View Post
As I see this, this is not an official challabn, until and unless it appears on the vahan website. Also, the speed is 102 kmph against a stiputaled 10okmph, and there is a gazette order saying that speeds in excess of 5% of the legal limit are not to be taken cognizance of.

Rgds

Vineet
Really thanks a lot for telling us about this gazette notification Although I believe whether you get out of something like this will depend on the mood of the cop who stopped you, I feel somewhat relieved that the law at least made some provision for human error.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
You have to register when using the website for the first time. It asks your registration number, chassis number and engine number (the latter 2 being mentioned on your car's RC). Then you will be asked to enter your mobile number, confirm it with an OTP and then directed to the challan page where any pending challans would be shown. Better to check it. However it may take its own sweet time to reflect on the challan page.
Yes I also thought its better to check it out now. I got the engine and chassis number from the RC but the page didn't ask me to register. After I gave the registration number and the engine/chassis number (last 5 characters and any one of them are required), it showed me 'No Challans Found'. Its more than a week now, so I believe it should have been updated by now if any challan was pending. But I will check again next week.

I believe this site must be retrieving data from the Vahaan database as I tried changing some characters of the engine and chassis number only for the site to tell me 'Invalid engine/chassis number'.
Old 9th September 2020, 17:56   #585
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Yes I also thought its better to check it out now. I got the engine and chassis number from the RC but the page didn't ask me to register. After I gave the registration number and the engine/chassis number (last 5 characters and any one of them are required), it showed me 'No Challans Found'. Its more than a week now, so I believe it should have been updated by now if any challan was pending. But I will check again next week.
I got a challan for an offence (Zebra/Stop line violation) committed in January,2020 listed this month on the website. And this was for a DL registered car running in Delhi. So keep a lookout for the next few years in your case!

Most Viewed