Team-BHP > Travelogues

Search this Thread
Old 4th May 2009, 11:53   #16
Senior - BHPian

Ajmat, Well written, are you aware there is a road from Berijam than connects to Munnar via top station. I am not sure whether it is open to public now (there were talks round that). I have done that road way back in 89 in a 4X4 mahindra, from my memory it was around 60 kms from Munnar to Kodai, there was no road, stones & logs on the road and plenty of bison and few elephants. It took us around 6 hrs for the trip.
Old 4th May 2009, 13:25   #17
BHPian

Guys I am planning a trip to Kodai with my family (wife + 2 kids aged 5 and 1). Planning a total of around 4 days. Can you please

a) recommend places to stay (homestay/hotels/resort). Budget around 2K/nite (maybe little more if the place is really nice)

b) places to visit. What are all the touristy things to do out there

c) help with getting there. How are the roads to kodai? Best route. Are all the signs in tamil only (I cant read a letter of it nor can i speak a word. My wife might be able to do better on the talking part considering she watches tamil movies)

d) Is 4 days too long? If so is there some other place that I can include into the trip?

e) planning on taking the civic. Is the low clearance a problem?

thanks
Ashwin
Old 4th May 2009, 14:36   #18
BHPian

Road between Munnar and Kodai

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadadhar View Post
Ajmat, Well written, are you aware there is a road from Berijam than connects to Munnar via top station. I am not sure whether it is open to public now (there were talks round that). I have done that road way back in 89 in a 4X4 mahindra, from my memory it was around 60 kms from Munnar to Kodai, there was no road, stones & logs on the road and plenty of bison and few elephants. It took us around 6 hrs for the trip.

I inquired about the road when I was at Munnar (in 2008). They said its closed due to land slides. Its only doable on bikes. The road connects Munnar to Berijam lake.
Old 4th May 2009, 14:53   #19
Senior - BHPian

Nice travelogue Ajit. I have been to kodai many times. Agreed, it is a lot less spoilt than Ooty. The first time me & a few friends went on our bikes, we saw a huge signboard in yellow with the caption 'Caution: Distractive view' or something like that. It was a magnificent climb.

Quote:

Have done this road on my yezdi in 1995. This part was closed for public then too.
Old 4th May 2009, 15:20   #20
Team-BHP Support

@ ash_blore

All details are in my travelogue - blore- Salem - dindigul

No probs with an RS so no probs with a Civic
Old 4th May 2009, 20:45   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
@ ash_blore

All details are in my travelogue - blore- Salem - dindigul

No probs with an RS so no probs with a Civic

Ok I guess I can ask for directions from dindigul (had a horrible experience here once, that story for another day).
You stayed at the kodai club and I am not a member so I have to look elsewhere. Any recommendations?
Old 6th May 2009, 09:50   #22
BHPian

Excellent travelogue - Which club in Kodai

Hello Ajmat,

An excellent travelogue.

Can you share the details of the club where you stayed during this trip?

Regards

Sateesh
Old 6th May 2009, 10:41   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
Have done this road on my yezdi in 1995. This part was closed for public then too.
Esteem Lover, that road in an Yezdi, that would have been real thrilling (envy you). BTW me to is/was an Yezdi lover and used to own a Road King till 99 (my wife sold it when I went for an abroad trip).

I am very much eager to know about the most recent situation of this road. Hope the 2008 landslides are cleared by now. Any members from Kodai listening?

Last edited by gadadhar : 6th May 2009 at 10:43.
Old 6th May 2009, 17:55   #24
Senior - BHPian

Nice! How are the temps in Kodai this time of the year?

You might want to invest in a car-bra if you are going to do a lot of touring.
Old 6th May 2009, 19:30   #25
BHPian

Nicely written travelogue Ajmat
Old 6th May 2009, 20:05   #26
BHPian

@Ajmat : Bericham is protected as they have a lot of medicinal herbs. Am not sure about the narcotic stuff you mentioned.
Old 13th June 2009, 23:06   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akroy View Post
I agree completely with the Kodai Road confusion.
Abhi
It is actually the name of a small town. The railway station is named Kodaikanal Road. It is the nearest point where rail passengers disembark for onward journey to kodaikanal. If they inadvertently go up to Madurai, they have to double back 40 KM to this place, from where the road branches off to Kodai.

If any bhpians from outside TN have to ask for directions in future, don't use the name Kodai Road or even kodaikanal Road. Just say you want to proceed to Kodaikanal and which route you should take!

This is how you can phrase it in Tamil: "Kodaikanal pogum route edhu?"
Old 13th June 2009, 23:23   #28
Senior - BHPian

Nice travelogue! I was in Kodi at the same time! The golf course is terrific isn't it?
Old 13th June 2009, 23:29   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Road King till 99 (my wife sold it when I went for an abroad trip).
Off topic but
Old 5th July 2012, 19:52   #30
Senior - BHPian

Re: Kodaikanal - The last unspoilt hill station.....so far

Was planning a trip to Kodai since it has been a long time back and came across this old one. Still have to agree with the unspoilt tag though the main town is teeming with people.

Some really nice places mentioned here which may not be a part of the regular tourist beat, planning to do that this time around. It must be green all around with the rains in flow.

Most Viewed