Team-BHP > Travelogues

Search this Thread
Old 18th May 2009, 11:29   #46
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwinsid View Post
Another Ooty travelogue? When When? (Psst, I was in Ooty from May 14 to May 17. My travelogue, in a different style, will be posted soon. My first full length thread at TBHP).
oh, ok - sorry for that confusion. I haven't done another trip to Ooty yet. The Re-Appraisal was supposed to be a comparison with the last trip i did almost 6 years back.

Waiting for your travelogue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
Another good one Hari. Loved the blue sky in the first snap.
I am sure you would have confused me with someone else - My name's not Hari - thanks for the kind words though
Old 18th May 2009, 11:33   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyWalker View Post
oh, ok - sorry for that confusion. I haven't done another trip to Ooty yet. The Re-Appraisal was supposed to be a comparison with the last trip i did almost 6 years back.

Waiting for your travelogue.

I am sure you would have confused me with someone else - My name's not Hari - thanks for the kind words though
Sorry about that. I was thinking of Lukeskywalker & was also wondering how he has switched his optra magnum for a ANHC. Anyway, loved going through your travelogue.
cheers
Old 18th May 2009, 11:42   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
Sorry about that. I was thinking of Lukeskywalker & was also wondering how he has switched his optra magnum for a ANHC. Anyway, loved going through your travelogue.
cheers
silly me, somehow it didn't click to me. Yep, how can i forget the other Skywalker form Bangalore and his travel and exotic car TD reports?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukeskywalker View Post
Great snaps namesake
thank you Hari! And please call me when you get to drive the next exotic from your well placed friends

"May the Force be with you".
Old 18th May 2009, 11:47   #49
BHPian

Great Pictures and well written travelogue Skywalker. You have taken the pains to smear the Number Plate of the car, but you have published the snaps of your family.

Another thing about the Honking in the mountain roads of Ooty - every time you honk "thank you" there is a quick single honk from the other driver indicating something like "Anytime". This kind of courtesy is non existent in the plains.
Old 18th May 2009, 12:06   #50
Senior - BHPian

@prowler: yep - don't know why i took the trouble of deleting the number plate.

thanks.
Old 18th May 2009, 12:06   #51
Senior - BHPian

Great travelogue!

It was very refreshing going thru it and I was able to re-live some of my earlier trips! Thanks!

Agree with Shankar on his note about driving thru Bandipur and in the climbs. I have often seen and wondered what are people thinking when they stop car inside Bandipur and some hero & heroines also get out for the "perfect" shot! Also had situation where mini-traffic jams were created by people wanting to have a good look at the deer pack near the road.

On the climbs most city drivers tend to take very wide sweep and often forget that there might be another vehicle on the opposite site. Regardless of if it is going up or down, it is an inconvenience to all. And there are people who's need for speed gets multiplied when coming down the ghat section.

God save us all!
Old 19th May 2009, 11:35   #52
BHPian

@Skywalker. I am really happy to see you - so innocent.

May be I come from sysadmin background that I view everything with suspicion. Unless absolutely essential, I would hate to part with any information. With clear car number plates visible in a public forum, anyone can use that for any nefarious purpose. Chances of that happening may be remote - I agree. But we don't want to find out the hard way.

Trust in God - But Lock your Car !

You hear that people can intercept a credit card statement and use that information to apply for bogus credit cards etc. Why leave any personal information available before the whole world ?

Just my 2 cents.
Old 19th May 2009, 11:58   #53
Senior - BHPian

I used to wonder and now this is confirmed. We usually honk on gratitude on overtaking if the person in front gives way, however this is slowly dying away as many of the bus operators fail to even signal when you honk for way and drive in the middle.
And even if you are able to wiggle your way through at a broader stretch and reciprocate only reason being that mama taught you manners they just never honk back. This drives me crazy at times and has greatly helped me in developing my vocabulary in many regional languages.

Wish driving was more mannered. I still make it a point to honk whenever I pass a vehicle especially on the ghats,this would be against the principle of many who think honking is a pain in the rear side, literally.
However, if you were overtaking me on the ghats and honk to thank me and if you were stranded anyplace I would definitely stop to assist. I would assist even if did not honk, yet the chances are higher and also you are saved of the vocabulary that I would be murmuring within myself.

I guess this is off topic, yet this is a thought.
Cheers,

Quote:
Another thing about the Honking in the mountain roads of Ooty - every time you honk "thank you" there is a quick single honk from the other driver indicating something like "Anytime". This kind of courtesy is non existent in the plains.
Old 19th May 2009, 12:05   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post

May be I come from sysadmin background that I view everything with suspicion. Unless absolutely essential, I would hate to part with any information. With clear car number plates visible in a public forum, anyone can use that for any nefarious purpose. Chances of that happening may be remote - I agree. But we don't want to find out the hard way.

Trust in God - But Lock your Car !

You hear that people can intercept a credit card statement and use that information to apply for bogus credit cards etc. Why leave any personal information available before the whole world ?

Just my 2 cents.
What additional risk is offered by photographs when our cars are out there on the streets and parking spaces in public view all the time? The only thing I see is that on a forum you may get some info about the owner as well (though I doubt it).
Old 19th May 2009, 12:31   #55
BHPian

Pjay - I can see your name, date of birth, location and the car you drive. If I look closely enough I may find your snaps and that of your family. Every step is that much closer to revealing your personal identity. What happens when someone with nefarious intention collects them ?

May be I am paranoid.

Beejay - Another thing you notice in the hills is, the driver before you signals you to overtake when the road ahead is clear. He takes a little care for the vehicle behind him as a matter of courtesy. He will ask you to wait until the right opportunity most of the time.
Old 19th May 2009, 16:00   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
On the climbs most city drivers tend to take very wide sweep and often forget that there might be another vehicle on the opposite site. Regardless of if it is going up or down, it is an inconvenience to all. And there are people who's need for speed gets multiplied when coming down the ghat section.

God save us all!
Very true!! Few drivers maintain their lanes in hill driving. I have noticed guys cutting across when turning because they are not at the right gear to turn as well as exit the corner at right speed.

Once driving from in Khambataki ghat section, a Innova guy drove me real crazy that I had to show the finger after reaching the plains, overtaking him.I felt that the guy is just plain stupid or has not driven in ghat section at all.

At another time during a trip to Yercaud, one Omni guy was doing all this. I over took him, but drove in front of him, following the lane sticking with in the white lines. To my surprise he did the same..

Nainar
Old 19th May 2009, 18:15   #57
Senior - BHPian

Prowler,

I am highlighting the fact that even when the road is clear they fail to signal, which is annoying. These are the kind who care a nut for the person behind and move at a snail pace never bothered about the train of cars behind.

Cheers,

Beejay - Another thing you notice in the hills is, the driver before you signals you to overtake when the road ahead is clear. He takes a little care for the vehicle behind him as a matter of courtesy. He will ask you to wait until the right opportunity most of the time.[/quote]
Old 20th May 2009, 09:37   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
May be I come from sysadmin background that I view everything with suspicion. Unless absolutely essential, I would hate to part with any information. With clear car number plates visible in a public forum, anyone can use that for any nefarious purpose.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjay_in View Post
What additional risk is offered by photographs when our cars are out there on the streets and parking spaces in public view all the time? The only thing I see is that on a forum you may get some info about the owner as well (though I doubt it).
Quote:
Pjay - I can see your name, date of birth, location and the car you drive. If I look closely enough I may find your snaps and that of your family. Every step is that much closer to revealing your personal identity. What happens when someone with nefarious intention collects them ?
Lewis - thanks for the tip and the guidance. I am still a little unclear about why numbers would pose a security threat. Unlike a credit car number or some personal data, a vehicle number is in public display all the time. But then again - the devious minds are ingenious, i guess - they will find a way

Quote:
Originally Posted by beejay View Post
And even if you are able to wiggle your way through at a broader stretch and reciprocate only reason being that mama taught you manners they just never honk back. This drives me crazy at times and has greatly helped me in developing my vocabulary in many regional languages.
. now that was a good one.

Quote:
However, if you were overtaking me on the ghats and honk to thank me and if you were stranded anyplace I would definitely stop to assist.
beejay, please also consider the fact that most people may not be aware of this custom. I certainly didn't during my last trip.

Quote:
Beejay - Another thing you notice in the hills is, the driver before you signals you to overtake when the road ahead is clear. He takes a little care for the vehicle behind him as a matter of courtesy. He will ask you to wait until the right opportunity most of the time.
Quote:
Prowler,
I am highlighting the fact that even when the road is clear they fail to signal, which is annoying. These are the kind who care a nut for the person behind and move at a snail pace never bothered about the train of cars behind.
Cant agree more with beejay here. I have seen that people crawl along these Ghat roads, but refuse to be overtaken, and desperately downshift and try to increase speeds to make any overtaking attempt futile. Many consider being overtaken as a personal insult. Beats me why. I would let a faster car/better skilled driver overtake me, lest he gets frustrated and do something dangerous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anainar View Post
Very true!! Few drivers maintain their lanes in hill driving. I have noticed guys cutting across when turning because they are not at the right gear to turn as well as exit the corner at right speed.
great topic folks. I believe there was a thread for tips on highway driving. Why don't one of you folks start a thread on "Tips on Ghat driving" to help us.

Last edited by SkyWalker : 20th May 2009 at 09:38.
Old 20th May 2009, 10:20   #59
BHPian

@SkyWalker
Quote:
Lewis - thanks for the tip and the guidance. I am still a little unclear about why numbers would pose a security threat. Unlike a credit car number or some personal data, a vehicle number is in public display all the time. But then again - the devious minds are ingenious, i guess - they will find a way
It is all a matter of association. Years ago, one of our clients located in CA, USA ( a senior man with a major corporate) had reasons to believe that his company's trade secrets were leaked out to his business rivals by one of his former employees. He was about to call in the law when he received an envelope containing a few snaps of his wife leaving the home in her car and her car in various locations - with just this caption - "You have a lovely wife. We know her movements on a day-to-day basis!".

He didn't pursue the issue further. With this kind of people, you don't take chances.

I am sorry to sound so paranoic. It is just that I plead for a little caution before revealing a lot of personal details.

This is not to detract from the fact that SkyWalker has given us an excellent travelogue on one of the most beautiful hill stations in India.
Old 20th May 2009, 16:02   #60
Senior - BHPian

A Reappraisal

A Reappraisal

Whoever discouraged me from going to Ooty in the beginning was partially right. It’s a painful experience to be in Ooty town in season and especially on long weekend. Streets are narrow and crowded, and masses wander around aimlessly. I definitely felt claustrophobic around the popular hangouts (like Doddbeta, Ooty Lake) and either used the "arrive early-leave early" approach or dropped it altogether.

To me vacation is (mainly) about:
  • Taking a break from regular Grind
  • Refreshing
  • Relaxing
Probably a crowded city like Ooty is not the best place for all this.

But…
That being said the allure of Nilgiri's is unrivaled and intoxicating. I am sure I would be back to Nilgiri's soon. But next time would look to stay in some resort around Nilgiri's and away from the crowd. I have heard good things about the Little Earth's quality resorts, and I remember tbhpian hellstar mentioning Green Park Resorts in Masinagudi.

Next Steps:
Having been to Ooty, I am looking at the other hill stations nearby. Yercaud is easily accessible, and probably that's on the menu next. Meanwhile, I have finished another trip (and a more satisfactory one at that), and lots of exciting photos to share for that. I will probably get started with that this weekend. If you have suggestions on any interesting locations drivable from Bangalore, do let me know.

Thanks everyone, for your comments and interest. Be back soon

Most Viewed