Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th May 2009, 19:48   #106
BHPian

Fantastic travelogue, enjoyed reading / viewing every bit.

Disco Lights ?
Old 14th May 2009, 19:49   #107
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Disco Lights ?
LOL thats for the service light which used to keep popping up earlier

You havent read his Safari saga I assume
Old 14th May 2009, 21:03   #108
BHPian

Amazing! Just Amazing.

I just went through the complete thread. You have planned a wonderful trip. Kudos that you enjoy the route more than the destination.

Waiting for more posts.
Old 14th May 2009, 23:50   #109
Team-BHP Support

I had decided to read this Travelogue only after it completed, so I waited until it crossed at least 100 replies.

Wow! What a travelogue, I again started missing snow. The photographs of snow clad mountain and roads are so pretty. Two years back on a visit to US, I got more snow than I bargained for, but then snow always has that charm that you can't resist.

When I visited Sikkim, there were hardly any tourists anywhere, bengali or otherwise. Of course, we were trekking, not many desi tourists try that. You should try trekking the Himalayas Tanveer, that is the best way to enjoy the nature.

Some of the snow photographs are overexposed, but that is expected since snow can really throw off the metering. You'll need trial & error to figure out the right exposure.
Old 15th May 2009, 02:22   #110
Senior - BHPian

Great travelogue Tanvir, loved it and thank God that I've started reading it after it was over (well, that's what I do when I see Sam's travelogues and now yours). OK, it's late now and time to go for sleep . Oh yeah, some lovely photos there.
Old 15th May 2009, 03:10   #111
BHPian

Beautiful pics and a great narrative! Enjoyed the rohtang checkpost part a lot!

Was there any ice on the road or the usual slush/snow mix? I have had a couple of close calls (albeit on higher speeds) even with winter tires when there's ice on the road hence curious .
Old 15th May 2009, 04:26   #112
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post

Some of the snow photographs are overexposed, but that is expected since snow can really throw off the metering. You'll need trial & error to figure out the right exposure.
I think it was deliberate. some post processing would probably improve it.

but I have seen people advising on the side of underexposing, especially if you have right skills to post process. over exposed pics are difficult to fix.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Nope, not much PP, just white balance correction. In show I just dial in +1 EV Exposure correction while shooting. It prevents underexposure. I prefer this method as pulling up exposure in RAW generates noise
Old 15th May 2009, 09:52   #113
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaushik_s View Post
Great travelogue Tanvir, loved it and thank God that I've started reading it after it was over (well, that's what I do when I see Sam's travelogues and now yours). OK, it's late now and time to go for sleep . Oh yeah, some lovely photos there.
Good strategy, that way you don't have to keep refreshing
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohit View Post
Beautiful pics and a great narrative! Enjoyed the rohtang checkpost part a lot!

Was there any ice on the road or the usual slush/snow mix? I have had a couple of close calls (albeit on higher speeds) even with winter tires when there's ice on the road hence curious .
It was the usual snow slush mix. Due to the huge amount of snow and snow mountains on side, it was not dangerous. However next morning during snowfall it had become very slippery due to rain/sleet/snow mix

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k View Post
I think it was deliberate. some post processing would probably improve it.

but I have seen people advising on the side of underexposing, especially if you have right skills to post process. over exposed pics are difficult to fix.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
I had decided to read this Travelogue only after it completed, so I waited until it crossed at least 100 replies.

Wow! What a travelogue, I again started missing snow. The photographs of snow clad mountain and roads are so pretty. Two years back on a visit to US, I got more snow than I bargained for, but then snow always has that charm that you can't resist.

When I visited Sikkim, there were hardly any tourists anywhere, bengali or otherwise. Of course, we were trekking, not many desi tourists try that. You should try trekking the Himalayas Tanveer, that is the best way to enjoy the nature.

I always shoot RAW, and in many pics exposure has been deliberately pushed up. Loweing exposure meant very dull pics, so I guess I overcompensated in some cases. Snow is very tricky. To rein in noise, I shoot +1/+0.6EV compensated so that I don't have to pull up exposure later.

Trekking is something I have done long time back, but did not enjoy much. The whole camp thingy is not for me. However what I really want to try is rock and mountain climbing. Once weather improves, thinking of joining some course in Delhi.
Old 15th May 2009, 10:18   #114
BHPian

Superb travelogues, tsk. And awesome pics to boot. I really like the detail that you manage to put into your stories, and yet make em entertaining. Well done!!!!
Old 15th May 2009, 11:56   #115
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
I always shoot RAW, and in many pics exposure has been deliberately pushed up. Loweing exposure meant very dull pics, so I guess I overcompensated in some cases. Snow is very tricky. To rein in noise, I shoot +1/+0.6EV compensated so that I don't have to pull up exposure later.
Snow makes the TTL meter to over-esitmate the light, that means your matrix weighted metering will generally under-expose the photo. So you have to push the exposure compensation to + side. But the really trick is to know how much, sun drenched snow would need +2 or more, snow under cloudy weather needs less than that, etc. Spot metering can really help you out in these situations.
Old 15th May 2009, 15:07   #116
BHPian

Just one word Awesome... I copied most of the snaps and shared with couple of my friends ( Non Members) and they are literally out of words. They just couldn’t believe that there could be such beautiful snowfall in some part of the same country, at the same time when they were looking for a place to cool them self from the Mumbai Heat.
Times like this I sooo envy all those who live in North India
(Please lord get me a job there)

Anyways just gave your thread a 5 Star rating. just couldn't resist.
Old 17th May 2009, 07:30   #117
BHPian

Excellent travelogue TSK. Now the white elephant has been there and done that !! Your photos reminded me of the white mountains trip (Massachusetts) I had few years back.. Truly mesmerizing
Old 17th May 2009, 10:45   #118
Team-BHP Support

Thanks for your comments everyone!
Old 17th May 2009, 11:37   #119
Senior - BHPian

Wow Tanveer, I also read this on one go and it was totally worth the wait, Great pics and one the best travelogue i have read so far. Congrats.

I have saved the pics and am going to watch them everyday, hopefully will give some respite from this burning heat.
Old 18th May 2009, 12:08   #120
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by deky View Post
Wow Tanveer, I also read this on one go and it was totally worth the wait, Great pics and one the best travelogue i have read so far. Congrats.

I have saved the pics and am going to watch them everyday, hopefully will give some respite from this burning heat.
Thanks deky. You do not need to save the pics, you can view all of them as much as you want here(125 approx)
Tanveer Singh (tanveer) : photos : Manali-Rohtang May 2009

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks