Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th May 2009, 23:26   #76
BHPian

those snow walls - amazing.

nothing can be better than that - so I guess 'baki ka picture' can not match that.
Old 13th May 2009, 23:40   #77
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by arindamray View Post
those snow walls - amazing.

nothing can be better than that - so I guess 'baki ka picture' can not match that.
Wait and see my friend. For tomorrow is a long day. Day 5 of the trip is "expect the unexpected"
Old 13th May 2009, 23:48   #78
Senior - BHPian

Wonderful writeup and pictures. I had been to Rohtang way back when I was a kid. Looking at your pictures makes me go for it once again!
Old 14th May 2009, 09:18   #79
Senior - BHPian

What a stratospheric account!

Only possible during the month or so after the pass opens after winter; not possible to see such amazing sights in September or October!
Old 14th May 2009, 10:03   #80
Team-BHP Support

Day 5 - Good morning

It was a Sunday. A very wet sunday. And cold too. But braving the cold we were up and ready by 6:30am.
Rain was pouring down in buckets.
We packed our luggage quickly
The plan was to leave by 7, stop over near Ropar for an hour or so, and be in Delhi around 9pm.
With heavy rain, most people would have delayed starts, and this would mean an easy traffic free exit from Manali.

As we got out of the rest house we discovered, that the water crossing now resembled a river crossing. Looks like the alto parked at the rest house will not be going anywhere in a hurry.
But no worries for us

It was not even 7am when we finished breakfast at the same Yak cafe. We chatted up with the owner and she told us that if it keeps raining, the snowfall at Rohtang will "come down" and maybe even come till Gulaba, or even lower.

Thats all we needed. No words needed to be said. We just looked at each other, got into our chariot. All it took was a quick U turn, and we were headed back towards Rohtang!

The rain was heavy, and the traffic light. The tiny water crossings had become torrents.
As the smaller cars(few of them today), struggled and pussyfooted over the rocks, we just lumbered on.

The rain turned into sleet, and I could make out snowflakes on the windshield.
We reached the Marhi bridge half past 7, and there was a minor jam there, illegal parking again. Sleet was slowly turning into snowfall, and the taxis had trouble parking as their wheels spun.
As we crossed the bridge, only one car accompanied us a a few meters later, they also stopped on the snow covered road.
The Rohtang checkpost was half a km away probably, and we intended to park at the ample parking there, and have fun in the snow!.

And to our delight, the snowfall became heavier. It was just us on the road, and falling snow!
Of cold mountains, and tonnes of snow-534938828_w3cpel.jpg

__CONT__
Old 14th May 2009, 10:18   #81
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arindamray View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Wait and see my friend. For tomorrow is a long day. Day 5 of the trip is "expect the unexpected"
Hmm. True to your words.

The snaps of tyre tracks in the fresh snow - captivating.

NCR Guys, get me a job there
Old 14th May 2009, 10:36   #82
Senior - BHPian

Ha ha ha now Tsk the Rohtang is turning on to resemble the Heaven
Old 14th May 2009, 10:42   #83
BHPian

This is unexpected even though I was prepared to expect the unexpected!
Old 14th May 2009, 10:49   #84
Team-BHP Support

Day 5 - Snowstorm!

Its 10 May, and its snowing heavily. Wonders never cease, do they?
We keep driving towards the checkpost, and discover its been moved towards Manali by 200 meters or so.
A line of 3 local Sumos awaits there. They have to go to Lahaul with supplies and all. But they are not allowed. Infact, even BRO vehicles are not going up today. Its has been snowing from 2am. At Marhi the sleet turned into snowfall around 6am, and what we see is 2 hours of light snow, which is getting heavier.
Take a U turn in the snow. Time to flick the switch to 4WD. The rear is sliding too much as the existing tire tracks start getting obscured.
Come down a few hundred meters, and stop to enjoy the snowfall
Of cold mountains, and tonnes of snow-534939664_ccbsml.jpg
Its getting heavier, and the whole scene looks as if out of a fairytale
Of cold mountains, and tonnes of snow-534940795_8wyhjl.jpg
The white elephant
Of cold mountains, and tonnes of snow-534942688_vdvskl.jpg
Thats me in the snow. Our first proper snowfall after 20 years! We have go to Chansal, Jalori pass, Hatu in winters, chitkul, and snowfall has always eluded us. Heck, many times even snow has elduded us, and now in peak summer we are experiencing heavy snowfall!
Of cold mountains, and tonnes of snow-534749828_8ditxl.jpg
The white elephant stands alone. No cars are coming up now. Most people have stopped over a km ago. The silence is breathtaking. Just soft cotton like snow falling
Of cold mountains, and tonnes of snow-534943545_v7nhvl.jpg
We have to reach Delhi also, so cannot spend the whole day here. So we decide to cross the bridge before a traffic jam ensues.
However, the fears of the jam are unfounded. Bad weather is our friend, and hardly anybody is coming up now
Of cold mountains, and tonnes of snow-534945920_znkm6l.jpg
As we lose altitude, the snow lessens however, snowfall is coming down. When we went all we saw was sleet, however, now the same place is getting heavy snowfall
Of cold mountains, and tonnes of snow-534950229_wobm9l.jpg
An official vehicle coming up tells us to move as the road is going to close soon. We take a quick picture, and start heading down.
Of cold mountains, and tonnes of snow-534755175_rwtlil.jpg
Even as we head lower, sleet has turned into snow. Soon these roads will be white!
Of cold mountains, and tonnes of snow-534954289_ilanul.jpg

__CONT__
Old 14th May 2009, 10:54   #85
Senior - BHPian

Haha the lure of cold white snow seems to be too much for you Tanveer.
Your pictures have brought back memories of driving in blizzards in Ladakh, ahh what I wont give to be back there in those snowy heights right now. We drove up n down the KhardungLa a couple of times in heavy snow with a 4X2 open top gypsey and the fun of slithering precariously close to the edges every time we cornered was adrelin rushing.
Crossing Changla in snow was a different story all together. It is fun nonetheless.

Last edited by wanderernomad : 14th May 2009 at 11:00.
Old 14th May 2009, 11:41   #86
BHPian

WOW tsk!! This just keeps getting better and better. Awesome pictures from Day 5.

Going here is surely on my to do list now.
Old 14th May 2009, 11:45   #87
Senior - BHPian

Damn those are some awesome pics Tanveer & I am so tempted to go there.

I have added Rohtang to my list for this year.

Does it snow after September? Whats the best time to go if one wants to see snow?
Old 14th May 2009, 11:49   #88
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderernomad View Post
Haha the lure of cold white snow seems to be too much for you Tanveer.
Your pictures have brought back memories of driving in blizzards in Ladakh, ahh what I wont give to be back there in those snowy heights right now. We drove up n down the KhardungLa a couple of times in heavy snow with a 4X2 open top gypsey and the fun of slithering precariously close to the edges every time we cornered was adrelin rushing.
Crossing Changla in snow was a different story all together. It is fun nonetheless.
Hmm chang la in snow? We will be there late august. Any change of snow?

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman7 View Post
WOW tsk!! This just keeps getting better and better. Awesome pictures from Day 5.

Going here is surely on my to do list now.
Thanks iceman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
Damn those are some awesome pics Tanveer & I am so tempted to go there.

I have added Rohtang to my list for this year.

Does it snow after September? Whats the best time to go if one wants to see snow?
Sometime in november Rohtang closes in snow. It can be earlier also, depending on when it snows but usually in Oct end BRO announces "Road officially closed".
In December millions of tourist hordes descend on the mountain slopes.
So if you want to see snow, go in Oct end or November. If Rohtang is still open, you are in for a treat.
Or go in March during board exams time frame. Hardly any tourists, and lots of resudual snow, and good chance of snow at even lower altitudes. Even feb is good, but tourist rush is much more.
This year had freak weather which saw hardly any snow in the winters, and heavy snowfall in April and May.
Old 14th May 2009, 11:55   #89
Senior - BHPian

Now these photos are even better!

WOW! Definitely heaven!

Thanks for the wonderful photos, TSK!
Old 14th May 2009, 11:58   #90
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Sometime in november Rohtang closes in snow. It can be earlier also, depending on when it snows but usually in Oct end BRO announces "Road officially closed".
In December millions of tourist hordes descend on the mountain slopes.
So if you want to see snow, go in Oct end or November. If Rohtang is still open, you are in for a treat.
Or go in March during board exams time frame. Hardly any tourists, and lots of resudual snow, and good chance of snow at even lower altitudes. Even feb is good, but tourist rush is much more.
This year had freak weather which saw hardly any snow in the winters, and heavy snowfall in April and May.
Sounds cool, will consult with you before making final plans

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks