Team-BHP > Travelogues

Search this Thread
Old 18th May 2009, 15:17   #121
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
and now I realize why many drivers drive barefoot.
The feel is great, and your feet do not slip of the wet pedals.
Its kind of enjoyble to feel the engine vibrations and road through the pedals. Something like a foot massage
the control is better, and you can enjoy controlling the pedal with different fingers also!!
Old 18th May 2009, 15:41   #122
BHPian

Amazing travelogue man! It had it all; suspense, mystery, drama, action, emotion, thrill, comedy, beautiful landscapes & romance. "Kissa Rohtang Ka..."

Looking at the pics and going through your narration makes me wanna press the power off key, pack up, head home, pack luggage, fuel up and head for the mountains. Guess it's gonna be a long weekend this time.
Old 18th May 2009, 15:46   #123
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Because on most highways other than NH1, there are mostly horrible eating places.
Agreed, but this is not entirely true. On than NH1 highways, we always keep in mind the good ( read reasonably) eating joints/ dhabas/ restaurants. So, the probable break points are already known and the horrible meals are kept at bay. During long trips, it is really bad if one falls sick.

But on unknown routes, we avoid roadside dhabas at all.

Arr.. thinking of starting or do we already have a thread on the topic. 'Various roads & eating options'

Last edited by breezydrive : 18th May 2009 at 15:47.
Old 18th May 2009, 20:23   #124
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
LOL thats for the service light which used to keep popping up earlier

You havent read his Safari saga I assume
I have, but I thought everything was taken care of.
Old 30th May 2009, 11:26   #125

Superb pictures Tanveer Ji! What a great getaway from the stonking heat in NCR...I felt "cooler" after just seeing your snow pics!

The pearl white elephant looks great with snow all around it. Were there any places where you 4wd was a must? How did the engine perform in the cold snowy conditions?
Old 30th May 2009, 13:30   #126
Team-BHP Support

Only on the day we went to Rohtang in the evening 4WD was a must as she would not go further on 2WD.
As for engine, on cold start the clatter was deafening, thats about it!
Old 1st June 2009, 17:05   #127
Senior - BHPian

wow Tanveer, amazing travelogue, nice writeup, excellent pics, full utilization of your truck.

I would love to be there, need a 4x4 though
Old 8th June 2009, 00:23   #128
Senior - BHPian

Tanveer,
I am planning a trip to Manali in the first week of July. I would like to know the best route to follow A detailled description with distances would be much appreciated.I plan to make an early morning start ( 5.00 a.m from Noida) as I do not intend to take an overnight halt. How long does the drive take?

I would also appreciate if you could indicate the places to stop enroute for food and toilet breaks ( I will be travelling with my wife and two young sons). Thanks!
Old 8th June 2009, 10:11   #129
Team-BHP Support

rajneesh, the route I followed was as long as standard chd route, but due to no traffic much faster.
However a guy on a travel forum has told me about a route which is shorter by 20kms, and has better roads and even lesser traffic. I knew of this route, but did not take it as I did not know the condition of the roads.
This guy took this route, and the roads are amazing, and you reach Ropar within an hour from Ambala.

So the route you follow is
1. Noida-Delhi Border-Karnal-Ambala
Here you can either eat at Haveli, or at the Zilmil Dhaba complex(I prefer Zilmil) which is just after the Karnal city. Its a huge Dhaba complex opposite Savoy
2. From Ambala you follow this route
All you wanted to know about traveling to Leh – Ladakh - Page 2 - India Travel Forum, BCMTouring.com
No Dhabas etc., on this 76kms stretch, but its just an hour long drive
3. After Ropar its pretty straightforward till Kiratpur Sahib, from where one road goes to Anandpur Sahib, and the right turn over a narrow bridge goes to Manali.
On the manali highway there are lots of dhabas etc., but they are average, but you can find decent ones with toilet and all.
If you start at 5am, you should be in manali by 6pm. However in peak tourist season there is sometimes 2 hours of Jam in manali city. That depends on your luck.

Also note that all the towns like Kullu etc., are now bypassed, so you have to follow the signboards.
At kullu its a bit tricky, and you may have to ask for directions a little bit.
Basically you take the manikaran road first, and at the final diversion to Manikaran, you take a left turn over a toll road(toll not activated yet). to cross the beas river and join with the old highway through the city.
Old 8th June 2009, 12:41   #130
Distinguished - BHPian

@tsk1979: The last part about Manikaran / Kullu should be - At Bhuntar instead of taking left for Kullu head straight for Manikaran. Just after crossing Beas river take a left turn. This road will run parallel to old highway but on opposite side of Beas river. When you come to another bridge going across to join old highway take the slip road to left (pointing towards Nagar) and continue to Manali on this road. Although narrow it has much less traffic. This joins the Manali Rohtang road after the old highway crosses Beas at Manali. Bonus is if you have your hotel on the opposite bank at Manali you avoid going through Manali.
Old 8th June 2009, 13:00   #131
Team-BHP Support

Good tip. So if you are staying beyond manali, this road is better as it bypasses the market, right?
Old 8th June 2009, 13:07   #132
Team-BHP Support

Yes, you cover that road keeping Beas on your left and then take the bridge to cross Beas again and back to main road.
Old 8th June 2009, 13:12   #133
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anupam View Post
the control is better, and you can enjoy controlling the pedal with different fingers also!!
Fingers ?
Old 8th June 2009, 14:30   #134
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudra Sen View Post
Yes, you cover that road keeping Beas on your left and then take the bridge to cross Beas again and back to main road.
No Rudra you just stay on the same side of beas right after Bhuntar till Marhi - halfway up Rohtang! You byepass Kullu, Manali (most of it) and join main highway where it crosses Beas after Manali bazar almost near Vashisht. And the view is much better ...
Old 8th June 2009, 14:48   #135
Team-BHP Support

Boss, I know this. I thought one would like to stop at Manali for last moment shopping.

Most Viewed