Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th May 2009, 22:19   #16
BHPian

You are gaining some nice riding experience there.
Old 24th May 2009, 08:49   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchontheroad View Post
does anyone (besides rocketman hvk!) think i can get from darjeeling to shantiniketan in one day? if not, i will just stay in raiganj or ugh, malda for the night.
later guys
We broke our journey from Hasimara to Calcutta at Kulik just outside Raiganj town. There is a WB government tourist lodge there, with proper parking space etc. Large green building on your right hand side just before the river Kulik. There is a small bird sanctuary just across the road from the lodge. It's an important breeding ground for Asian Openbill Storks but you won't be able to see them around this time of the year. I spotted a pair of Asian Paradise Flycatcher there. Of course there are many other birds there too.
But if you can make it to Malda you stay about 100 km closer to your destination.
Regarding the Moregram exit, for the life of me I couldn't find a single damn landmark to describe the spot to you. The lone green road sign that is there on the left hand side, showing Baharampur (actual spelling might be different) straight and Panagarh to the right is written in Hindi. The distances are written in English though.
You just have to remember that it's before Baharampur and after Omarpur (a very non-descript little hamlet not mentioned in your map). There is a very elaborate and prominently green Reliance petrol pump on your left hand side a few km before the Moregram turn.
At the actual right turn the road goes up a bit, like you were climbing a bridge. There is simply no landmark. Not even a shop. In fact that itself might be a landmark.
Good luck and happy riding.
Old 24th May 2009, 12:51   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudipto-S-Team View Post
Regarding the Moregram exit, for the life of me I couldn't find a single damn landmark to describe the spot to you. The lone green road sign that is there on the left hand side, showing Baharampur (actual spelling might be different) straight and Panagarh to the right is written in Hindi. The distances are written in English though.
Good luck and happy riding.
After Omarpur drive for around 13-16 KM. Then you will get this bridge. This bridge is over a railways track. After immdiate crossing the Bridge you will get a right. Join that direction. You may get some direction like Ramporehat/Nalhati/Suri. There is lots of hotel also @ ramporehat.

And from Mallarpore which comes after Ramporehat try the road which goes parallel to the rail track. This will save lots of KM and HR. Else you need to go till Suri and comeback.

Last edited by arin_12 : 24th May 2009 at 12:55.
Old 24th May 2009, 13:02   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arin_12 View Post
You may get some direction like Ramporehat/Nalhati/Suri. There is lots of hotel also @ ramporehat.
The exact sequence of these towns is Nalhati > Rampurhat > Suri

I wouldn't advise the Suri-Shantiniketan direct route. It was terribly potholed in December when I went to Deoghar via Massanjore. I would go via Ilambazaar, despite the longer distance. For me it was actually much quicker that way.
Old 24th May 2009, 13:10   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudipto-S-Team View Post
The exact sequence of these towns is Nalhati > Rampurhat > Suri

I wouldn't advise the Suri-Shantiniketan direct route. It was terribly potholed in December when I went to Deoghar via Massanjore. I would go via Ilambazaar, despite the longer distance. For me it was actually much quicker that way.
Yes, I know the sequence is wrong...
I am talking about diff route. Which connect from Ramporehat-Mallarpore-Saithian-Ahmedpore-Bolepore... But need to travel In day time as he dont know the route.
I keeps travel from Omarpore to Shantiniketan. But I never goes even via Moregram. I take right from omarpore itself and join Muraroi station. After that the Roads goes alone with the Rail Track.
Muraroi-Nalhati-Ramporehat-mallarpore-Saithian-Ahmedpore-Bolepore.
Old 24th May 2009, 13:54   #21
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Arin. That's great. I didn't know about this route. This sounds more like the train route, as you said. Will try it out next time. I am always keen to know about such side routes. Sounds like this is the original route before the ADB road came up connecting Moregram with Panagarh in the late 90s.
Probably Mitch is not the ideal candidate to try this route out. But then he is a great adventurer. He is quite capable of pulling it off as well.
Old 24th May 2009, 16:00   #22
Senior - BHPian

You seem to have had one hulluva trip MITCH.
DO try and post your travelogue..err, travel story for the benifit of the other enthusiastic fellow mortals like me.

Cheers,
J

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks