Team-BHP > Travelogues

Search this Thread
Old 20th May 2009, 01:07   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Mahabaleshwar: A visit to Strawberry and Corn Country !!!

For a long time been thinking of taking a respite from the scorching Hyderabad weather for a few days and then started the contemplation of which cool destination is worth that visit over a quick weekend.

After hop,skip and jumping over destinations like Coorg,Ooty then finally decided on Mahabaleshwar.

Initially planned with fellow tbhpian Hillram but due to issues like he cannot making it in addition to a room booked via.Yatra.com getting cancelled despite confirmation and debiting money from my account was finally able to get a room for a decent price in a season when every hotel that is worth its salt is quoting mind-numbing prices.

This is where the odometer started and luggage was loaded for this weekend trip

To be contd...........
Attached Thumbnails
Mahabaleshwar: A visit to Strawberry and Corn Country !!!-dsc_7273.jpg  

Mahabaleshwar: A visit to Strawberry and Corn Country !!!-dsc_7270.jpg  

Old 20th May 2009, 01:41   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Finally got a room booked in a place called "Savoy Village" and for 2.1K/night they threw in BF,Lunch and Dinner as well. The room was economy type and quite small but alteast it was very clean.

Surprisingly, the food in this hotel is simply delicious and service was just outstanding. Each dish served was really worth praising and it seems people living in other hotels come to this hotel's restuarant for their meals.

With bookings done, decided to head out early morning on Friday at 4:00AM but, as it usually happens when you plan to get up early you dont tend to sleep early. Two and two things lead to hitting the bed at 1:30AM and getting up at 4:00AM and after freshining up left home at around 5:15AM and what a lovely time to get out of the city, we reached Patencheru at 5:50am ( via.Kukatpally,BHEL,)

While, we are talking about times and distances, let me quickly cover some distances covered in approximate times while going towards Mahabaleshwar.

5:15AM: Started from Home

7:40AM : Reached Humnabad which is 160kms stopped for coffee for 15mins

9:55AM : Crossed Solapur bypass which is 300kms from Hyderabad

1:30PM: Reached Baramati, which is about 470kms from Hyderabad,
stopped at Shetfal enroute to Indapur-Baramati for juice and a break of 15-20 mins.

4:15PM : Reached Mahabaleshwar

Route taken :-

HYDERABAD-MAHABALESHWAR

Hyderabad-Zaheerabad-Humnabad-Umerga-Solapur-Mohol-Shetfal-Indapur-Nira-Lonand-Khandala-Wai-Panchgani-Mahabaleswar : 590kms

MAHABALESHWAR-HYDERABAD

Hyderabad-Medha-Satara-Pandharpur-Solapur-Umerga-Humnabad-Zaheerabad-Hyderabad : 570KMS

Now for some pictures when going towards our destination. Mostly highway pictures, just to let you know the roads were pretty inviting and great for a drive.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahabaleshwar: A visit to Strawberry and Corn Country !!!-dsc_7283.jpg  

Mahabaleshwar: A visit to Strawberry and Corn Country !!!-dsc_7277.jpg  

Mahabaleshwar: A visit to Strawberry and Corn Country !!!-dsc_7297.jpg  

Mahabaleshwar: A visit to Strawberry and Corn Country !!!-dsc_7301.jpg  

Mahabaleshwar: A visit to Strawberry and Corn Country !!!-dsc_7306.jpg  

Mahabaleshwar: A visit to Strawberry and Corn Country !!!-dsc_7307.jpg  

Mahabaleshwar: A visit to Strawberry and Corn Country !!!-dsc_7313.jpg  

Mahabaleshwar: A visit to Strawberry and Corn Country !!!-dsc_7314.jpg  

Mahabaleshwar: A visit to Strawberry and Corn Country !!!-dsc_7329.jpg  

Mahabaleshwar: A visit to Strawberry and Corn Country !!!-dsc_7333.jpg  

Mahabaleshwar: A visit to Strawberry and Corn Country !!!-dsc_7350.jpg  

Mahabaleshwar: A visit to Strawberry and Corn Country !!!-dsc_7360.jpg  

Mahabaleshwar: A visit to Strawberry and Corn Country !!!-dsc_7399.jpg  

Old 20th May 2009, 02:35   #3
Senior - BHPian

Me = green with envy

Congratulations on finally making your long awaited trip to M'war. One can fathom that you enjoyed yourselves. Great Pics. That stretch of the road passing some hills with the trees on either side looks lovely.

Cheers,
Old 20th May 2009, 08:42   #4
Senior - BHPian

Pics are great, and your car looks fabulous on those rims.
Old 20th May 2009, 08:57   #5
Senior - BHPian

Nice start there Avi, after a long time a travelogue from you.

NH9 looks great there. Is it like this throughout (Hyd - Mumbai)? Waiting for the mapro stuffs. Bring them in.

Abhi
Old 20th May 2009, 09:26   #6
Senior - BHPian

Hi Avi,
Nice pics.
I think the last pic posted in above post is taken near Wai.
If it is so, then the squarish construction on top of hill on left side is the fort named "Vairatgad".
Old 20th May 2009, 09:32   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince_pervez View Post
Pics are great, and your car looks fabulous on those rims.
I am totally in love with those rims

Quote:
Originally Posted by akroy View Post
Is it like this throughout (Hyd - Mumbai)?
Roads are superb until Solapur, quite wide but after that they narrow down but quality remains the same.

It was a pleasant drive since there was no pressure to perform as in my day to day life ( I am in sales, you see) and so a free mind resulted in covering good ground even after keeping a steady speed not unncessarily revving the engine and was cruising comfortable without resorting to any dangerous gimmick but still covered a pretty good ground.

Reached Solapur bypass at 9:50AM and continued towards Indapur even though wifey was insisting that we should take the Satara route since Zen91 put a thought into her mind that stretch is the loneliest stretch on this planet and she was in a hurry to reach mahabaleshwar.

But, i was adamant and wanted to take the other route since i was also keen to meet our fellow and very helpful tbhpian from the sugar country ( Baramati) Ashish Pallod, who was waiting for us with a paper in hand which were instruction further down the route, how thoughtful of him.

After spending 15 minutes with him at 1:30pm in Baramati, took the route ahead which was slightly narrow road but very smooth and one of the most pictureque route that i ever taken, it was absolutely beautiful and i recommend people travelling to mahabaleshwar to take this route even if its slightly longer, narrower but, the greenery around you is certainly going to overwhelm you and squash all regretable feelings, if any.

Here are a couple of pictures with Ashish Pallod@ Baramati
Attached Thumbnails
Mahabaleshwar: A visit to Strawberry and Corn Country !!!-dsc_7352.jpg  

Mahabaleshwar: A visit to Strawberry and Corn Country !!!-dsc_7354.jpg  

mobike008 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th May 2009, 10:28   #8
BHPian

solid start pandeyji!

while in mahableshwar i am sure your's was the only ride with the AP number.(folks must be wondering some telegu film star has come over for shooting in his dhasu red beast.now no need to go and look at yourself in the mirror.hehehe)

some good distance covered there ,solapur in about 5 odd hrs is good man.

waiting for the strawberry ice cream pics dude.
Old 20th May 2009, 10:45   #9
BHPian

Great pictures there, Avinash. Keep em coming. Nice to see the smooth surface. Hope they hold out through the monsoon. Goa, anyone?
Old 20th May 2009, 10:59   #10
Senior - BHPian

Hi Avinash

Your car looks stunning, great pictures especially of the landscapes and the roads.
waiting for more details.
Old 20th May 2009, 11:09   #11
Senior - BHPian

Hey Avi---those pics were good. Looks like you had a brief stress-buster kind of trip.

Did the cops pounce on your AP-registered car at Solapur bypass? Or did you catch them napping?
Did you take that pic of the sign board with distances at Solapur?

Last edited by vnabhi : 20th May 2009 at 11:12.
Old 20th May 2009, 11:41   #12
Senior - BHPian

Good pics there Avi, agree with starvegabond, car looks neat.
Old 20th May 2009, 11:54   #13
BHPian

Great pictures and the roads are quite inviting. It's feels good to see nice roads and is a pleasure to drive without any deadlines or sales targets, I guess. Anyways, please keep the lovely pictures coming in and also post your fuel efficiency details.
Old 20th May 2009, 12:13   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajesh Rawal View Post
solid start pandeyji!

while in mahableshwar i am sure your's was the only ride with the AP number.(folks must be wondering some telegu film star has come over for shooting in his dhasu red beast.now no need to go and look at yourself in the mirror.hehehe) some good distance covered there ,solapur in about 5 odd hrs is good man. waiting for the strawberry ice cream pics dude.
Thank you rajesh bhai, yes the distance covered were really in good times. I doubt if i can beat those times again.

Keep checking the thread loads of pictures of strawberry and its ice-creams coming this way

Quote:
Originally Posted by anurag_p80 View Post
Goa, anyone?
We already planned a TBHP Drive meet to Goa this August.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarVegabond View Post
Hi Avinash

Your car looks stunning, great pictures especially of the landscapes and the roads.
waiting for more details.
Thanks Man, I do receive compliments that mine is the best maintained Accent. I like to keep it that way

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
Did the cops pounce on your AP-registered car at Solapur bypass? Or did you catch them napping?
Did you take that pic of the sign board with distances at Solapur?
No Cops to be sighted anywhere. In a way, it was pleasantly uneventful highway drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukeskywalker View Post
Good pics there Avi, agree with starvegabond, car looks neat.
Thanks Lukes. Appreciate you comment.

Reached Mahableshwar at 3:45pm. Spent the next 2 days blissfully enjoying the lovely weather of Mahabaleshwar. I found that it was only slightly warm between 12 noon to 3:30pm afternoon and prior and post that time a chilly breeze takes over and your transported into heaven. Nights were quite chilly and since i like cold weather i was indulging in all things people who love winters do. Long walks, eating a lot of fresh strawberry ice-cream.

I reckon the temperature was in the vicinity of 14C during nights and about 24C during day time. Quite pleasant !

After taking a quick shower, headed out to Venna Lake which was a short 2km drive from the hotel and these pictures ensued at this place. Beautiful lakes, corn pattice, corn frankies where consumed in good quantities and these items are not to be missed for anyone visiting Mahabaleshwar.

This place is also great point for horse riding which wifey indulged in and i did not for obvious reasons.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahabaleshwar: A visit to Strawberry and Corn Country !!!-dsc_7406.jpg  

Mahabaleshwar: A visit to Strawberry and Corn Country !!!-dsc_7417.jpg  

Mahabaleshwar: A visit to Strawberry and Corn Country !!!-dsc_7418.jpg  

Mahabaleshwar: A visit to Strawberry and Corn Country !!!-dsc_7426.jpg  

Mahabaleshwar: A visit to Strawberry and Corn Country !!!-dsc_7428.jpg  

Mahabaleshwar: A visit to Strawberry and Corn Country !!!-dsc_7440.jpg  

Mahabaleshwar: A visit to Strawberry and Corn Country !!!-dsc_7411.jpg  

Old 20th May 2009, 12:32   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
This place is also great point for horse riding which wifey indulged in and i did not for obvious reasons.
lol .arey pandeyji i remember seeing horses( or what seemed like an horse) in vaishnavdevi ,they had those lined up according to the your weight.

e.g: there were horses which could carry people above 90kgs.lol. charges were different though.

aisa kuch setting karne ka tha na .hehehe.

Most Viewed