Team-BHP > Travelogues

Search this Thread
Old 27th May 2009, 11:44   #31
Team-BHP Support

Next day morning - I take some pics of the area - seems geared for Jap Businessmen

Shanghai and Dalian-dsc_0343.jpg

Shanghai and Dalian-dsc_0344.jpg

Shanghai and Dalian-dsc_0346.jpg

Shanghai and Dalian-dsc_0347.jpg

Then it is off to the airport. Check in but long queues for security - bit like the old HAL airport. Reach Shanghai and take a taxi to my hotel. Next few days were raining or overcast and packed with work so no pics beyond that.

Thanks for stopping by and reading. Hope you do visit China, like India there is a diverse amount of things to see.
Old 27th May 2009, 11:50   #32
BHPian

When it comes to infrastructure China seem to have left India in the dust

Urban India doesnt seem to understand the connection between Trees and Concrete and Plastic
Old 27th May 2009, 11:59   #33
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
Destress - I seek relief and find this in the bathroom

I discover that it has His and Her water jets, temp control and jet intensity, so one has options of going to the moon or to heaven..or something like that

Decide to go for a work out in the gym located in a health club next door.

Return to find a "ladee offering massaj" lurking in the corridor.

no thanks, I have the water jets
Awesome!
So how was the moon like? Or did you visit heaven?
Old 27th May 2009, 14:44   #34
Senior - BHPian

Amazing travelogue and great pics. Almost feels like I'm visiting China myself. You do have a very good style of writing. Crisp and to the point, while still conveying loads of info about the place.
Old 27th May 2009, 15:13   #35
BHPian

Ajmat - thats an interesting writeup and pics. One question I have is: Maglev used to have train-hostess for each car, do they have that even now?
When I visited shanghai, maglev was new and was just then introduced. There were nice train-hostess for each car who delivered a small speech to welcome us on board the train and gave safety instructions. BTW, there were many cabbies/buses outside that station offering the ride to airport at almost 1/4th the price of maglev.. This was in 2003 i guess ( I dont remember if it was 2002 or 2003/4 - i made 2 trips in which the 2nd one i tried maglev) ..! Nice place, amazing people - and bargaining was something we (3 of us) got addicted to in that trip..

Last edited by G-BoleroBoy : 27th May 2009 at 15:14.
Old 27th May 2009, 15:24   #36
BHPian

Fantastic travelogue. Short and crisp, inimitable Ajit style.

regards
tifosi.
Old 16th June 2009, 18:32   #37
BHPian

That was a nice travelogue with some good pics (Some of the pics were a bit of a let down though).

China sure is way way ahead in terms of the infrastructure they have built. But the people there are a big let down, just like what we see in India. People trying to fleece you, cabbies demanding double rates, doctors fighting physically in hospitals (have experienced this in Shanghai), hurling absues etc. Not a great place to be in.
Old 17th June 2009, 16:29   #38
BHPian

Fantastic review of the trip Ajmat. After reading your entire review i remember my own to China last year. Similar experiences, China is one place you will definitely like it after the visit. I missed shanghai but i would look for it again. taken lot of tips from your review, thank you.
Old 29th September 2010, 15:30   #39
BHPian

Thanks Ajmat. This thread has been immensely helpful. I am going to SH, Xian and BJ next month and was in 2 minds if I should be taking the Maglev and then a taxi or a taxi all the way through. I was worried that I will not be able to communicate with a taxi at the Longyang road station. But your line about the attendent making sure is very relieving. I am definitely taking the Maglev. Any tips I need for my stay in China in terms of where to eat good and chaep chinese food esp in SH? Not too fussy an eater. Do let me know.
Old 29th September 2010, 22:26   #40
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarmarishi View Post
I was worried that I will not be able to communicate with a taxi at the Longyang road station. But your line about the attendent making sure is very relieving. I am definitely taking the Maglev. Any tips I need for my stay in China in terms of where to eat good and chaep chinese food esp in SH? Not too fussy an eater. Do let me know.
I would ask your host to take you out for a meal. Shanghai food is awful -salty and sour. Try shezwan food.

Make sure you have the hotel address in chinese. Usually dowloaded from the hotel website
Old 30th September 2010, 11:53   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
I would ask your host to take you out for a meal. Shanghai food is awful -salty and sour. Try shezwan food.

Make sure you have the hotel address in chinese. Usually dowloaded from the hotel website
Thanks. Will ask my colleagues there to take me out. They have actually sent the address in chinese along with a map, but will download it agian.

Most Viewed