Team-BHP - Dubai - Liwa - Dubai
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Travelogues (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travelogues/)
-   -   Dubai - Liwa - Dubai (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travelogues/59268-dubai-liwa-dubai.html)

On 21st March 2008 at 6.30am, I and my brother started from Dubai to visit Liwa Oasis. Liwa is located about 350km south west of Dubai. Historically, it is of immense importance for UAE because this oasis is the birth place of the ruling families of Dubai and Abu Dhabi. In 1793, the ruling family Al Nahyan moved their residence from Liwa to the city of Abu Dhabi. Traditionally the Bani Yas tribe (the people of Liwa) is pearl divers, but now date farming through widespread use of drip irrigation, camel farming is their main source of income.

The road between Dubai and Abu Dhabi is 8 lanes on each side. As it was Friday morning, there was less traffic on road and taking advantage, my brother drove his Ford Explorer (4ltr, all wheel drive) at approx 140-160 kph (avoiding periodical radars). We reached Abu Dhabi at around 8 o’clock and stopped at a roadside petrol pump to have our breakfast.

Sharp 8:30 am and we again fired the engine of the monster and set sail for Liwa. The road heading towards Liwa is 2 lanes on each side so we had to drive slowly. There was a lot of heavy goods vehicle also on the road making the drive slower. However, we enjoyed the roadside sceneries and I was constantly clicking my Nikon D80

After 2 hrs we reached Liwa and rested for the day at Liwa Guest House. The Manager, an Indian from Kerala was very nice to us and tried every way to make us comfortable.

Next morning, we went to visit Mireb dune which is approximately 2okms from Liwa Guest House. With a height of 300mtrs, it is considered to be one of the world’s largest dune. Every year thousands of visitor (expatriates, locals and people from GCC countries) gather here during Liwa festival to enjoy Off Road driving and camel racing. We spent the whole day driving on the desert and it was a lifetime experience. We also meet a group of expatriates camping nearby and spent some quality time with them

Well after sunset, we returned at the guest house. After having a refreshing hot water shower and dinner with dal fray and fish curry, we went to sleep so that next day we could start our return journey early in the morning.

those roads amazing. I am really surprised how they maintain those roads in the middle of desert. And did you took your gigantic ride to off-road?

Nice.. Any idea why they have bothered to fence off a bit of sand in the middle of nowhere??

Amazing place. Great roads, and a good looking machine. The pictures are beautiful.

love the pictures of the dunes my friend!clap:

Nice Pics! Love the sand, the sun and the dunes! Same question which bharat asked! "And did you took your gigantic ride to off-road?"

Wonderful dune pics. The desert indeed looks ravishing. I would really love to roll down that slope.
I DEMAND more pics ....please:

After having spent 18 years of my life in the UAE, i am ashamed to say i havent been to places such as these. Possibly since we didnt have a 4x4. To make up for that, i will have to be content with viewing the pics you post.

Please post more including the part where you took the Explorer off-roading.