Team-BHP > Travelogues

Search this Thread
Old 3rd June 2009, 11:09   #16
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for sharing your story. Very different and lots of things for us to learn from this - unfortunately at your cost of course .
One of the things that I carried during our Bhutan trip was a small portable gas stove and enough provision to last us for a few days if completely stranded. It was never needed but while on the journey we felt stupid that so much precious storage space was being wasted. Now I feel we did the right thing.
Anything can happen in the mountains.
By the way, hope you had the car thoroughly checked by your own trusted mechanic after coming back home. Streeside mechanics can fix things temporarily in an emergency and you feel like they are God but they often do a lot of cheap fixes which can prove costly later.

Last edited by Sudipto-S-Team : 3rd June 2009 at 11:13.
Old 3rd June 2009, 11:16   #17
BHPian

great adventure! these spontanous trips are great fun, but need to be planned a little bit when going in the mountains.
and my 1 paisa advice
next time the car gets stuck in the mud and the wheels start spinning freely use the rubber mats in your car and slide them under the wheels for traction the wheels get grip and start moving then keep it in motion or get to the side of the road for dry land. I have tried it and it really helps, ofcourse the mats would get spoiled but its better than burning the clutch. if you dont have the mats use some grass from the road side and keep sliding it below the wheels till they start moving ahead (it really works!)
yes be ready to dirty ur clothes!
cheers!
schitre05 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2009, 11:33   #18
Senior - BHPian

Nice adventure and great pics..those rapids look very demanding and frightful.
Old 3rd June 2009, 12:24   #19
BHPian

WOW! what a trip. Hats off to you guys for keeping cool heads. I can't imagin myself in this situation. Do give us feedback regarding your car. have you send it to MASS for complete check up?

Regards
Old 3rd June 2009, 12:33   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Shobhit for posting more pics. The urge to drop everything and head for the Himalayas has become unbearable now.
@ pjay I share the same feeling indeed.Its been almost a year by now and mountains are calling me....

Quote:
Thats something called an adventure in the true sense! Hats off for the spirit to go till the end in spite of all these in between.
@ Kandisa Just a FYI Kandisa and Marewa were two songs that were going all thru this trip. I just love them.

Quote:
Now I feel we did the right thing.
Anything can happen in the mountains.
@ Sudipto Yup who knows this better than us.Ya we got the car fully checked @ Rana motar New Delhi.

Quote:
next time the car gets stuck in the mud and the wheels start spinning freely use the rubber mats in your car and slide them under the wheels for traction the wheels get grip and start moving then keep it in motion or get to the side of the road for dry land. I have tried it and it really helps, ofcourse the mats would get spoiled but its better than burning the clutch. if you dont have the mats use some grass from the road side and keep sliding it below the wheels till they start moving ahead (it really works!)
@ Schitre05 Thanks for the piece of advice,Will surely carry them along when in montains or stuck anywhere in mud or so.

Quote:
Nice adventure and great pics..those rapids look very demanding and frightful.
@ hillman They are worth experiencing...trust me.

Quote:
WOW! what a trip. Hats off to you guys for keeping cool heads. I can't imagin myself in this situation. Do give us feedback regarding your car. have you send it to MASS for complete check up?
@ uday Thanks for the encouragement..Yes we got it checked nicely @ Rana Motars.They confirmed that clutch is well fixed and there is no room for any adjustment.
Old 3rd June 2009, 19:57   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Great narrative, shobhit, as well as a great exposure to the might of the Himalayas. I'm sure you are now permanently addicted to those places where mobile signals don't reach!
Old 21st April 2011, 13:11   #22
BHPian

Re: An Unplanned Trip To Gangotri..

Opening an old thread. Its 1 PM and I might also push off for an unplanned trip to Gangotri tomorrow morning at 6.

It started off this morning when my parents (who are visiting us currently) said you got 3 days off, why not add a leave and lets go to Badrinath. I immediately latched on to the idea, but when I spoke to my boss I came to know that the pat (doors) are not opening till 9th May.

Now, a long drive (that too in himalayas) once initiated can not be put down so easily. So I started looking for alternatives and Gangotri came up. (please note, this strictly has to be a religious tour). I was searching for road conditions and got this thread.

Having seen the pic, and the incident narrated. I am a little nervous now. Can someone one comment on latest condition of the roads? I will be with my 65+ parents and two less than 5 kids in a Ford Fiesta. God forbid, I am not gonna get a cluth replacement there.

Any help would be very helpful in deciding should we or should we not embark on this absolutely unplanned trip.
Old 21st April 2011, 13:23   #23
BHPian

AFAIK roads to gangotri after uttarkashi are in in horrible condition.....please check bcmtouring log of tilak or indiamike for more details.....
also i am not sure whether gangotri temple has opened or not....

EDIT - Gangotri temple is opening on 6th may...

Quote:
Originally Posted by New.Novice View Post
Opening an old thread. Its 1 PM and I might also push off for an unplanned trip to Gangotri tomorrow morning at 6.

It started off this morning when my parents (who are visiting us currently) said you got 3 days off, why not add a leave and lets go to Badrinath. I immediately latched on to the idea, but when I spoke to my boss I came to know that the pat (doors) are not opening till 9th May.

Now, a long drive (that too in himalayas) once initiated can not be put down so easily. So I started looking for alternatives and Gangotri came up. (please note, this strictly has to be a religious tour). I was searching for road conditions and got this thread.

Having seen the pic, and the incident narrated. I am a little nervous now. Can someone one comment on latest condition of the roads? I will be with my 65+ parents and two less than 5 kids in a Ford Fiesta. God forbid, I am not gonna get a cluth replacement there.

Any help would be very helpful in deciding should we or should we not embark on this absolutely unplanned trip.

Last edited by deeps79 : 21st April 2011 at 13:43.
Old 21st April 2011, 14:11   #24
BHPian

Thanks deeps79, that helps. So Gangotri is also knocked off now. I guess I should start a new thread immediately to seek suggestions on where else can i go, am really falling short of ideas as other majors like Mathura, Haridwar, risheksh etc. have been done recently.
Old 22nd April 2011, 11:08   #25
BHPian

Buddy- for some reason, I was not able to see the pictures posted via the additional link. Did you remove them?
Old 22nd April 2011, 13:25   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funda View Post
Buddy- for some reason, I was not able to see the pictures posted via the additional link. Did you remove them?
Sorry, i will update the link.
Old 18th February 2013, 13:36   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Anyone visited Gangotri?

Hello bhpians!

I would like to know if any fellow member has visited Gangotri, the source of glacier of Ganga?

I am very keen to see the place so I would like to get some info like:

1. Closest Railway Station to Gangotri.
2. Options (bus/cars/ taxis) from the closest railway station to closest place to Gangotri?
3. I believe Gangotri is not accessible even by road, so its a 'trek' sort of for the last few kms. How difficult this trek is? Is it doable by ladies? Is it a 'proper trek' or just involves walking through?

Please share this info and experience so that its helpful to me and other bhpians who plan to visit the place.

Thanks in anticipation of help!
Regards,
Saket
Old 18th February 2013, 21:38   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Anyone visited Gangotri?

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
...Gangotri, the source of glacier of Ganga?
You mean Gaumukh, the glacier that is considered the source of the river Ganga.
Quote:
1. Closest Railway Station to Gangotri.
Rishikesh.
Quote:
2. Options (bus/cars/ taxis) from the closest railway station to closest place to Gangotri?
Buses and taxis are available for hire from Haridwar/Rishikesh to Gangotri.
Quote:
3. I believe Gangotri is not accessible even by road, so its a 'trek' sort of for the last few kms. How difficult this trek is? Is it doable by ladies? Is it a 'proper trek' or just involves walking through?
The Gangotri-Gaumukh trek is not considered tough for a fit person, even a lady, but it isn't a walk in the park either. It's a 3-day trek (the round trip will take 5-6 days), and you need to add in extra days if you plan to go to Tapovan. Be prepared to rough it out with minimal bedding and toilet facilities at overnight halts (usually Chirvasa and Bhojvasa). Best not done during the rainy season. Access closed in winter.

Last edited by SS-Traveller : 18th February 2013 at 21:40.
SS-Traveller is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th February 2013, 10:10   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
You mean Gaumukh, the glacier that is considered the source of the river Ganga.

Rishikesh.

Buses and taxis are available for hire from Haridwar/Rishikesh to Gangotri.

The Gangotri-Gaumukh trek is not considered tough for a fit person, even a lady, but it isn't a walk in the park either. It's a 3-day trek (the round trip will take 5-6 days), and you need to add in extra days if you plan to go to Tapovan. Be prepared to rough it out with minimal bedding and toilet facilities at overnight halts (usually Chirvasa and Bhojvasa). Best not done during the rainy season. Access closed in winter.
Thank you Sir! This clears much doubt. Thanks a lot!

Just to clear one more, please tell me if people move in groups during this trek? I am very keen to see this wonderful place and I will also like my wife to witness it, though not from the religious perspective. Please let me know if there are some pointers to keep in head if we plan for the trip in coming months, may be.

Thanks again for the precise answers.

Regards,
Saket
Old 19th February 2013, 10:20   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
please tell me if people move in groups during this trek?
Usually they do, but there are always stragglers as well as fast trekkers. Just maintain your own pace, you won't get lost!
Quote:
...some pointers to keep in head...
The best time is after the monsoons, usually October. Travel light, but you will get porters if you do insist on carrying half the household! I am not sure if horses are available nowadays.
SS-Traveller is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed