Team-BHP - Day Trip to Medak and Pocharam Wild Life Sanctuary
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Travelogues (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travelogues/)
-   -   Day Trip to Medak and Pocharam Wild Life Sanctuary (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travelogues/59980-day-trip-medak-pocharam-wild-life-sanctuary.html)

Even though I have been in Hyderabad for 10 months now, haven't seen much of the places nearby. After much contemplation about possible venues for day drives, me and my wife decided to head out to Medak and the nearby Pocharam Lake for the day trip on Saturday 6th June.

Since Medak is about 104 Kms, we decided to take it a little easy and started out from Hyderabad only by about 8.40 am. Due to it being a Saturday, encountered below average traffic allowing us to hit the Highway at Kompally in 15 minute and thereafter open up the "Storm". This is the first time I have been on this road on a long time and the road till the Railway Bridge after Dhola - Ri- Dhani seems to have deteriorated as you can feel small bumps on the tarmac surface forcing one to go slow.

But the road quality drastically improves after the bridge. Reached Ramayampet by 10.15 and took the left turn to Medak through the SH. The road after about 2 Kms turns into a single lane wherein you have to get off the road if someone crosses you from the opposite end. Had loads of fun overtaking vehicles by going offroad and raising dust storms.

The must see bit about the Medak Church are its three stained glasses.

Moving out of Medak, we headed towards the Pocharam Lake but seeing its state were very disappointed and decided to try our luck for the Sanctuary. Went to the Forest Office for entry into the Pocharam Sanctuary who after our frevent requests let us in.

The WLS is mainly filled with Deers, Antelope, Neelgai and Wild Boars and we did spot a quite a few specimens while travellig though the trail. The camera conked out just after entering the WLS so clicked on the phone.

Anyways, all in all a decent day trip and we were back in Hyderabad by 3 pm in time for lunch:).

Some pictures of the trip

Nice one. The place looks quite dry and it is quite understandable with temperatures over 40 degrees.

Btw, I did see in one of the Telugu news channel about the migratory birds coming to Medak district for the first time. Apparently, they had come to Sultanpet Cheruvu. Was that anywhere near you went?

Nice trip MileCruncher! We had been to Medak but didn't go inside the sanctuary. There is another road to Medak via Dindigul highway which is also scenic but has some bad sections.

You can find more ideas for weekend trips here -
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...hyderabad.html

awesome trip. me jealous!

got the GPS logs of this trip by any chance? Mail karo please?

Quote:

Originally Posted by muralisk (Post 1337136)
Nice one. The place looks quite dry and it is quite understandable with temperatures over 40 degrees.

Btw, I did see in one of the Telugu news channel about the migratory birds coming to Medak district for the first time. Apparently, they had come to Sultanpet Cheruvu. Was that anywhere near you went?

As much as I understand you are talking about the Manjira Bird sanctuary which gets the Migratory Birds. Pocharam is about 50 odd kms from Manjira if i'm not wrong.

Quote:

Originally Posted by watashi75 (Post 1337164)
Nice trip MileCruncher! We had been to Medak but didn't go inside the sanctuary. There is another road to Medak via Dindigul highway which is also scenic but has some bad sections.

You can find more ideas for weekend trips here -
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...hyderabad.html

I actually found out about the options through that thread only. Was allowed to go inside the sanctuary after persuading people in the forrest office over there. Intend to do a few weekend trips soon if time permits. The road from Ramayampet to Medak is also single road and I had the most fun taking my Storm off the road at 80 KMPH.

Quote:

Originally Posted by COUGAR (Post 1337211)
awesome trip. me jealous!

got the GPS logs of this trip by any chance? Mail karo please?

No GPS Logs bro. Let me know any info you need.

Could spot only few spotted deers in one of the snaps, quite understandable when your camera had failed. btw your cell phone camera turnout is good

Quote:

Originally Posted by MileCruncher (Post 1337406)
As much as I understand you are talking about the Manjira Bird sanctuary which gets the Migratory Birds. Pocharam is about 50 odd kms from Manjira if i'm not wrong.

No, I am not referring to Manjira Bird sanctuary.

The TV report had indicated that the birds had made this lake their home for the first time and local villagers were very happy about it. It said that the lake name is Sultanpet Cheruvu. Let me check on this and get back.

Quote:

Originally Posted by muralisk (Post 1337549)
No, I am not referring to Manjira Bird sanctuary.

The TV report had indicated that the birds had made this lake their home for the first time and local villagers were very happy about it. It said that the lake name is Sultanpet Cheruvu. Let me check on this and get back.

May be then it can become my next weekend trip destination:)