Team-BHP - Along the Forgotten Trail- Silk Route-East Sikkim [Pedong-Rishi-Aritar-Zuluk-Jelepla]
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Travelogues (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travelogues/)
-   -   Along the Forgotten Trail- Silk Route-East Sikkim [Pedong-Rishi-Aritar-Zuluk-Jelepla] (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travelogues/60100-along-forgotten-trail-silk-route-east-sikkim-pedong-rishi-aritar-zuluk-jelepla-6.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1100D (Post 2722934)
Not if the area has seen landslides and earthquakes in the last few days, or even some heavy rain.

We did this route last October and after a point we were the only civilian traffic on this route.

Infact at Tsamgo, we were also the only human beings present (the road from Tsamgo to Gangtok had vanished)

What type of vehicle you are using?

I can very well understand your concerns but considering everything constant, how far one can reach in a hatchback safely or rather what would the best route for a hatchback in this sector.

Thanks in advance.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joy (Post 2723144)
What type of vehicle you are using?

I can very well understand your concerns but considering everything constant, how far one can reach in a hatchback safely or rather what would the best route for a hatchback in this sector.

Thanks in advance.

The catch will be to contact Mr Pradhan beforehand and ask for the present conditions, as it changed frequently. He is a local and will tell you exactly what the situation is on the entire route.

Just prior to our planed visit, there was a massive Earthquake that devastated most parts of Sikkim. Although, East Sikkim wasn't much affected, yet, there were a few roads that had caved in. At one point one road had slid downwards by around 10 metres, very steep.

We (My family) were in a Scorpio.

Road condition in sections past Rongpo

Along the Forgotten Trail- Silk Route-East Sikkim [Pedong-Rishi-Aritar-Zuluk-Jelepla]-pa0500541.jpg

We are planning to do these stretch in September on 4 bikes. Would appreciate your guidance on the route, petrol bunks availability and most importantly the permits for the zuluk section

ADC sir ,
Firstly amazing drive,i have just joined this elite community and am enthralled with the TL that amazing individuals like yourself have undertaken which in my opinion is awesome.
You did mention that you would be updating the contact numbers and addresses of the places that you had stayed at the end of your TL,could you please do the same as i am really interested in retracing the Silk Route.
It would also be helpful if you could post all the local contacts that you would have come across .
best regards

Quote:

Originally Posted by rk_sans (Post 3185033)
We are planning to do these stretch in September on 4 bikes. Would appreciate your guidance on the route, petrol bunks availability and most importantly the permits for the zuluk section

Quote:

Originally Posted by swsumit (Post 3195147)
It would also be helpful if you could post all the local contacts that you would have come across .
best regards

This is for the anti-clockwise route, i.e., from Siliguri/NJP to REshi to Zuluk to Tsomgo Lake - Gangtok.

For permits, the straightaway rule for permits is to contact and take permission from the SDPO of Rongli, a small hill town between Reshi and Aritar.

However, this is only possible once you go for over and not beforehand - this is what we did.

The permit is for this route: Reshi - Padamchen - Zuluk - Kupup - Tsomgo [changu] Lake - Gangtok

To get the permit more smoothly, contact your hotel/homestay owner, who would then get your papers all done beforehand.

If you try to do this clockwise, i.e, starting from Gangtok to Zuluk to Tsomgo Lake to Reshi to NJP/Siliguri - you need to get the permit from Gangtok.

Map from sikkimsilkroute.com
Along the Forgotten Trail- Silk Route-East Sikkim [Pedong-Rishi-Aritar-Zuluk-Jelepla]-sikimsilkroutemap.jpg

Discussing more of the anti-clockwise route:

For stay in Pedong and/or Reshi Khola, these are the contacts:

Reshi Khola Ecotourism Resort run by Mr Sebastian Pradhan - the gentleman whom we met and made our permits. At that time there was no other place to stay other than this homestay. Remember this is more of a homestay type facility.

Sabastian Pradhan: +91 9932 7444 07, +91 9932 6801 70, +91 9002 7742 20

More details over at his website: www.pedong.org

With this route now being much more known and popular now, other luxury stay options are there.

http://www.reshikhola.com/Home.php

Another found on the net: www.zuluktour.in and www.sikkimsilkroute.com

So for permit, finalize where you will stay and then call the owner and talk to them about stay options and say also to do the permit beforehand.

If you need to go to Aritar, just give a search of that name and a number or hotels come up, call up.

For Zuluk side stay options, contact: Mr. Gopal Pradhan (+91 9609860266) to book rooms for Zuluk and Nathang. When we went, this route was just about opening and so we stayed in Mr Gopal Pradhan's house itself. Nowadays of course there are proper and separate stay options out in Zuluk.

You can ask him also about permits to be done before hand if you are not successful with the hotel owners of Reshi.

Both of you have my phone and email, if needed.

A typical schedule for this route can be:"

Day 1: NJP/Siliguri to Reshi khola

Day 2: Aritar or Mankhim

Day 3: Zuluk/Gnathang

Day 4: Gangtok

Day 5: Extra day [ use at Zuluk or Reshi]

From alternate Gangtok side - with permits dones from Gangtok:

NJP – Gangtok – Nathang Valley – Zuluk – Aritar/Mankhim – Reshikhola – NJP

Day 1 Siliguri / NJP to Gangtok.

Day 2 Gangtok - Changu Lake - Nathula (optional) - Old Baba Mandir - Nathang.

Day 3 Day extra

Day 4 Aritar.

Day 5 Reshikhola.

Day 6 Leave for NJP / Siliguri.

Hi ADC

Excellent info and many thanks for the informative post.
I was checking through various Sikkim travelogues to plan an upcoming trip. Before seeing this thread I read another thread and posted below help request. Can you please advice on the same as you have done the exact route we plan to cover.

Quote:

We are planning to visit Zuluk and Gangtok during 10-12th October this year. I have read through numerous travelogues to plan this trip properly, but some key concerns still remain. We are planning to reach Zuluk through Rongli and follow the route Zuluk- Nathang Valley- Kupup- Baba Mandir - Tsongmo Lake - Gangtok. We do not intend to visit Nathu La.

Do anyone have info on below queries we have
1. Can we get the required permit from Rongli? (We are all India Citizens)

If yes
2. How long does it take to get the permit at the Check post?
3. Up to what time is the Rongli check post open? Given we are driving from Guwahati, chances are high that we will reach the check post past 7 pm.

3. Do we have to expect too much snow fall in mid-October on our Zuluk - Tsongmo Lake - Gangtok route?

Please help

Cheers
Renjith

Hi

I was trying to contact Mr. Gopal Pradhan on the number given above. That line is not going through. Do anyone got an alternative number to contact him. We wish to book accomodation and make arrangements for our permits. For that matter contacts of any reliable travel agents would help.

thanks.

I am very much interested to do the Leh - Ladakh circuit, but I have to look for my leave for 15-20 days. By the way which route you are looking at. Will it be via Shimla / Kaza or via Manali. How many fellow travelers you are looking at. You have asked for two and obviously you are the one. Will there be any more with you.

By the way going through your TL it takes us to a virtual world as if we are with you. So nicely written and described. Photographs are amazing.

Cheers and keep going

Subrata

Quote:

Originally Posted by Renjith_Mani (Post 3787726)
Hi

I was trying to contact Mr. Gopal Pradhan on the number given above. That line is not going through. Do anyone got an alternative number to contact him. We wish to book accomodation and make arrangements for our permits. For that matter contacts of any reliable travel agents would help.

thanks.

The resort is now operated by Ms. Pradhan. My recent experience quoted from this travelogue

Quote:

Now, there have been many BHPians who have stayed here & this place was highly recommended. Unfortunately, we found the accomodation very bad. Mr. Pradhan who used to take care of this property is now involved in other business & this property is now handled by her daughter. The resort is in a mess. We have stayed in many basic accommodations earlier so we weren't expecting much from this place as well. But the least one expects is hygiene which was missing. The location is superb no doubt. .
The Reshi Eco Resort can be reached at +91 9002774220

Regards,

Pawan