Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th July 2009, 12:22   #61
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
Fazal

Thanks for raising so many of the issues that concern wildlife conservation. Srisailam is very dear to me and I visit the place as often as possible

During my visits everytime I drove through the forest area I noticed a lot of litter.

As a small personal initiative I had 3000 paper bags made with some simple do's and don'ts printed in english and telugu. The idea found an instant response from the forest officials and we introduced the bags at the check points charging vehicles Rs2 with a request to drop litter at the end of the journey at the exit check point.

The forest department ordered a further 5000 bags as the initial lot got used up. The idea was to create some livelihood for the tribals too by way of bag making etc.

The forest department recognises the harm done on account of indiscriminate littering that takes place. As part of their plan to curtail this menace a rest area was created just before Farahabad junction. The idea is that travellers stop only at designated spots.

There is a need for more signage and awareness creation amongst travellers to avoid littering the place.

The issue of cattle is huge. The govt's forest protection plan calls for relocation of tribals from core areas, biogas plants to reduce dependence on wood and promotion of eco tourism to provide livelihood to tribals.

Mr. Shankaran the DFO based at Achampet is a fine person and most cooperative for any initiative anyone wishes to take. I would be happy to introduce you to him.

He is anything but callous about the issues that the forest faces.

Here in India wildlife conservation is forever a losing battle. The government is well intentioned but in execution things get diluted. Corporates simply have chosen not to be bothered about this aspect of the environment and its sad that no corporate in Hyderabad has stepped forward to adopt the reserve and help out.

You need more vehicles for patrolling, state of the art communication equipment. Funds for several independent projects NGO's/Corporates can take up need to be mobilised.

In summary a lot can be done. Ofcourse in every department you have corrupt officials colluding with the crooks to loot our heritage. But you also have dedicated staff who are silently doing their bit. Whether they are effective eventually is affected by a number of issues.

There is constant pressure on the forest department to keep the roads open later in the evening and open earlier in the morning. The vote bank means villagers' are allowed to exploit the forests. Finding alternative employment or improved animal husbandry is a mammoth exercise.

As individuals if we can mobilise funds and take initiatives I can only say that the forest department will cooperate. The few good men in the department may be fighting a losing battle but they are still at it, not giving up. If NGO's/Corporates can pitch in I see no reason why the lovely forests of Srisailam need to be doomed forever.
Deepak,
Please check the below link for the exact issues raised by you, (the first result on this page) will show you a comprehensive write up done by me.
NSTR on the brink of extintion - Google Search

I know Mr. Shankaran too, he is a good and dedicated officer, with his hands tied back. but his personal attitude and intolerance towards wildlife photographers and researchers is very pronounced and does not go well with me.
People like NGO's ,NGI's wildlife enthusiasts, Photographers, researchers should be welcome by the forest department as it is them who can highlight the exact ground realities, (unless the forest dept. has something to hide) which we know they do, from the fraud in tiger census to other mismanagement en masse. Mr. Shankaran has higher up's who he can't go against.
About the corprates keeping out of this is a sad commentary, we should take up initiatives for them to get actively involved, fund and adopt a forest or a part of it.
Let us for work together.
Regards,
Old 20th July 2009, 12:25   #62
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASHISHPALLOD View Post
I am also interested to know what the forest officers do with that bags with litter? where do they dump it?
The forest rangers are supposed to burn the litter at either check posts.

While this is a simple initiative that can easily be made viable we are yet to see if it becomes a permanent reality.

Wildlife conservation is a lot like a bucket with large holes. Its not just about putting more into it. Its fundamentally about plugging those holes. And that I am afraid is not an easy task. But ! Nothing is impossible. Increased awareness, more people pitching in, quality programs with accountability and focus, eventually a difference can be made.
Old 20th July 2009, 12:34   #63
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazalaliadil View Post
That's the spirit. If we can mobilise some activity in aid of helping out the Srisailam forests it would be a great beginning. Please air your views in terms of small projects we could take up and your ideas on how to implement them and between all of us likeminded people we could pitch in and help out.

I know someone by the name of Sumanta Ghosh who is closely tied to the Corbett National Park. He is involved with the forest department on a number of issues. I am aware that he is doing a lot of work on the Mahseer conservation project. We can always seek help from such people who are not only totally committed to wildlife conservation but also successfully run eco tourism projects as economic concerns can miraculously aid in wildlife conservation. Its a bit like this. If the presence and increased sighting of a tiger means money in people's pockets they end up working for the survival of the tiger!
Old 20th July 2009, 13:29   #64
BHPian

@fazalaliadil - I think there is enough and more said about how corrupt some people are and how eager-to-help-and-helpless a lot of us are.

It always pains to hear how tigers are disappearing from our forests but somehow I always make sure that I dont read these news articles, only so I can be in the make believe world and not cry within myself.

Not sure if this news was published in the newspaper in your part of the country.. so here goes..The Hindu : Kerala / Palakkad News : Another elephant killed

2 elephants killed in 2 days and our forest dept / railways were busy warming the benches they were sitting on. This is not the start. Sometime back there was a pregnant elephant killed at the same location. Three elephants killed by moving train | WildlifeWatch

Result : we built a temple in the memory of the elephants so their ghosts dont come and haunt us.

These are no different from what you posted earlier on. Indifferent attitude . More than anything else, I think it should start with us. Are all of us in the same page ? Except for a few, even here, not everyone is too keen. With such a discussion going on, I saw a post that read ' most impt - is alcohol allowed ' . No offence anyone - but you are to a forest to appreciate the wildlife. Follow the etiquette first.

Anyways, coming back, fazalaliadil, DKG : am glad I read something like this on a Monday morning. I would love to participate and do what I can to protect our forests. Count me in for any activities planned. Thank you so much for the initiative and let your tribe grow.

PS : fazalaliadil : if you have more photos / videos, why dont you send them to CNN IBN . they might feature you as their Citizen Journalist and this could help gather more attention.

Last edited by neoranjit : 20th July 2009 at 13:30.
Old 20th July 2009, 14:13   #65
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
That's the spirit. If we can mobilise some activity in aid of helping out
Quote:
Originally Posted by neoranjit View Post
I would love to participate and do what I can to protect our forests. Count me in for any activities planned.
How can we contribute to save wildlife and forest.

To start,
spread the awareness about wildlife, its importance, present condition, need to save, individual's responsibility.

During WWW i.e. world wildlife week in October, everyone who are interested can do small things such as--
1] banners in their organization about wildlife,
2] quiz and contest about wildlife in the organization, schools, colony, society etc.
3] donation of books about wildlife to the school library, to students at schools adjacent to sanctuaries.
hey, there are lot of ideas.
lets start new thread in shifting gears section.

@Fazal sir, please start a new thread about wildlife and guide us to spread the word.
Old 20th July 2009, 15:49   #66
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Came across some concrete suggestions on the net on what an individual can do to help save forests so I thought we could start with those suggestions and take it from there

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...al-can-do.html

Fazal has written a comprehensive article on the state of affairs at the Srisailam reserve and perhaps he can list ideas he has on specific objectives of a NGO to be formed and any other initiatives we can take
Old 20th July 2009, 23:20   #67
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoranjit View Post
@fazalaliadil - I think there is enough and more said about how corrupt some people are and how eager-to-help-and-helpless a lot of us are.

It always pains to hear how tigers are disappearing from our forests but somehow I always make sure that I dont read these news articles, only so I can be in the make believe world and not cry within myself.

Anyways, coming back, fazalaliadil, DKG : am glad I read something like this on a Monday morning. I would love to participate and do what I can to protect our forests. Count me in for any activities planned. Thank you so much for the initiative and let your tribe grow.

PS : fazalaliadil : if you have more photos / videos, why dont you send them to CNN IBN . they might feature you as their Citizen Journalist and this could help gather more attention.
Neoranjit,

Headline: "Thirsty animals stray from forest"
Abstract Content: Animals from Nagarjunasagar Srisailam wildlife sanctuaries are migrating to surrounding areas and getting killed.
A Deer killed by village dogs, at Sunnipenta.
A Tiger killed by poachers, near Omkara temple, Atmakur Mandal.
Date: 4th July 09
Reported in Deccan Chronicle, Kurnool edition on 5th July 09.
Ironically, Hyderabad edition, Deccan Chronicle nor the TOI carried this news. We would have missed it too had we not night halted at Anantapur on our way back from Nagarahole.

This is the forest that I have been to and took pictures of cattle grazing and consuming water from waterholes meant for wildlife.
It was not surprising that a resident editor of a leading daily turned a deaf ear to my reporting of mass cattle grazing and also a reporter of the same daily who does wildlife related news, dilly dallying and giving excuses.

Read and make people aware of whats going on, whats the point in living in a make believe world, very soon you will need to wake up to realities.
Thank you for your interest and do not let it stop there, soon we will do things together I am sure for we owe it to them.

Regards,
Old 21st July 2009, 09:09   #68
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Fazal has written a comprehensive article on the state of affairs at the Srisailam reserve and perhaps he can list ideas he has on specific objectives of a NGO to be formed and any other initiatives we can take
Deepak,
To form a registered NGO society, you need to list out the aims and objectives as this is a pre requisite.
An NGO society can be very helpful only if members are dedicated and active participants, I abhor the idea of getting big names in it just for the value who are never participants in the objective and related works.
We will take things forward soon in this regard, together.

Quote:
How can we contribute to save wildlife and forest.

To start,
spread the awareness about wildlife, its importance, present condition, need to save, individual's responsibility.

During WWW i.e. world wildlife week in October, everyone who are interested can do small things such as--
1] banners in their organization about wildlife,
2] quiz and contest about wildlife in the organization, schools, colony, society etc.
3] donation of books about wildlife to the school library, to students at schools adjacent to sanctuaries.
hey, there are lot of ideas.

@Fazal sir, please start a new thread about wildlife and guide us to spread the word.
Ashish,
Only induvudials who are interested, dedicated and have the drive to save wildlife and the forest's can be helpful, the reason I have not yet joined any NGO organization is, they go limp, dilute their spirit and are just a non-functional body in a years time. This I have seen in many instances.

The thread is started by Deepak, who is very experienced in the related subject and loaded with innovative ideas. Hope many BHPians take active part and also the core team of Team-BHP takes some initiatives before the World Wildlife Week.

I am glad this thread which started as a travelogue has evolved into a movement to save forest and wildlife.
Regards,

Last edited by fazalaliadil : 21st July 2009 at 09:12.
Old 21st July 2009, 12:10   #69
BHPian

Quote:
An NGO society can be very helpful only if members are dedicated and active participants, I abhor the idea of getting big names in it just for the value who are never participants in the objective and related works.
Big names help in fund-raising as well as gettin media space which is crucial for getting a lot of work. Forest staff, even the commited ones, will raise a wall to prevent you from nosing around. Associating yourself with an NGO, and a well known NGO which is "in the news" helps getting over the hump so to speak and bringing down these glass walls.

Quote:
Only induvudials who are interested, dedicated and have the drive to save wildlife and the forest's can be helpful, the reason I have not yet joined any NGO organization is, they go limp, dilute their spirit and are just a non-functional body in a years time. This I have seen in many instances.
NGO's are made by individials. If the individuals are commited, the NGO stays commited. Politics, backbiting etc etc are part of ANY grouping: one just learns to live with it. What is important is that the focus on the core task: that is forests and conservation stays.
Old 21st July 2009, 12:33   #70
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by COUGAR View Post
Big names help in fund-raising as well as gettin media space which is crucial for getting a lot of work.
. Mobilising positive public opinion is much easier when you have some prominent personalities in the fray.

Infact I am seriously toying with the idea of networking through friends to get a popular film actress or actor to endorse conservation at Srisailam. Just their presence for the cause sells its importance to locals. If we can get Nagarjuna or Venkatesh or other prominent stars to talk about forest conservation and its vital relevance to all our lives, including people living in cities, that would be a big help.
Old 21st July 2009, 14:32   #71
BHPian

Quote:
Infact I am seriously toying with the idea of networking through friends to get a popular film actress or actor to endorse conservation at Srisailam.

Filmstars are good for publicity but they also carry an air of frivolity around them. I think you should aim for a celebrity conservationist (yes there is such a thing!!). In another era, I would have suggested Maneka Gandhi, but nowadays she stands thoroughly discredited in the NGO network! How about Manmohan Singh (Koko), Fateh Singh Rathore or Susan Wright?

better still is to rope in someone from the AP forest dept who has retired but is still commited. I think that will be a little hard to find though. We people on this side of the border tend to think pretty poorly of the AP forest officers! :P
Old 21st July 2009, 15:03   #72
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I think you should aim for a celebrity conservationist... How about Manmohan Singh (Koko), Fateh Singh Rathore or Susan Wright?
The Chenchu tribesman in the Srisailam forest won't relate to the people you suggest. But he surely will to Venkatesh or Shriya (telugu movie stars)

So if you want someone to drive home a cause these stars have the connect with the general public. The issue would get instant recognition.

I do, however, feel that the "celebrity" conservationists would be useful in moving the powers at Delhi perhaps.
Old 21st July 2009, 18:58   #73
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Filmstars are good for publicity but they also carry an air of frivolity around them. I think you should aim for a celebrity conservationist (yes there is such a thing!!). In another era, I would have suggested Maneka Gandhi, but nowadays she stands thoroughly discredited in the NGO network! How about Manmohan Singh (Koko), Fateh Singh Rathore or Susan Wright?

better still is to rope in someone from the AP forest dept who has retired but is still committed. I think that will be a little hard to find though. We people on this side of the border tend to think pretty poorly of the AP forest officers! :P
COUGAR,
We people on this side of the border too think the same about AP forest officers, I retriate there are exceptions like Deepak has pointed out one, Mr. Shankaran, and I think you meant Belinda Wright.
Quote:
. Mobilising positive public opinion is much easier when you have some prominent personalities in the fray.

Infact I am seriously toying with the idea of networking through friends to get a popular film actress or actor to endorse conservation at Srisailam. Just their presence for the cause sells its importance to locals. If we can get Nagarjuna or Venkatesh or other prominent stars to talk about forest conservation and its vital relevance to all our lives, including people living in cities, that would be a big help.
Deepak, I agree what your's and Cougar's view about big names and personalities, but their role will be felt in the urban areas not in the Chenchu tribes living there, most have not seen a movie in their life and are very aleinated and different from other lambada's who live as their neighbours at some villages. ( just for information,Chenchu's are immune to malaria parasite).
Quote:
Big names help in fund-raising as well as gettin media space which is crucial for getting a lot of work. Forest staff, even the commited ones, will raise a wall to prevent you from nosing around. Associating yourself with an NGO, and a well known NGO which is "in the news" helps getting over the hump so to speak and bringing down these glass walls.
NGO's are made by individials. If the individuals are commited, the NGO stays commited. Politics, backbiting etc etc are part of ANY grouping: one just learns to live with it. What is important is that the focus on the core task: that is forests and conservation stays.
Agree with you here, regarding the fund raising, media space and glass wall.
Old 21st July 2009, 22:48   #74
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Considering the littering is caused by visiting urban families then perhaps the celeb endorsement will have some effect?

I can organise this I think if I pursue the matter with friends who know these movie stars.
Old 22nd July 2009, 01:10   #75
BHPian

that will be a great effort DKG. Though its only one step that we would have taken in the right direction. Nevertheless, will definitely help. I wonder what is the opinion people have about the union Minister for Forests

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks