Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd June 2009, 23:01   #16
Senior - BHPian

Wow...amazing place and nice capture of pics. Had an urge to visit this place from long time. Now it has become more after seeing your pics.
Old 24th June 2009, 12:01   #17
BHPian

Here are some more photos clicked from another camera.
Attached Thumbnails
A Day Trip To Gopalswamy Betta-dsc04585.jpg  

A Day Trip To Gopalswamy Betta-dsc04583.jpg  

A Day Trip To Gopalswamy Betta-dsc04600.jpg  

A Day Trip To Gopalswamy Betta-dsc04604.jpg  

A Day Trip To Gopalswamy Betta-dsc04615.jpg  

A Day Trip To Gopalswamy Betta-dsc04616.jpg  

A Day Trip To Gopalswamy Betta-dsc04620.jpg  

A Day Trip To Gopalswamy Betta-dsc04627.jpg  

Old 30th March 2012, 12:02   #18
Senior - BHPian

Re: A Day Trip To Gopalswamy Betta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolphin View Post

The road after Mysore towards Gundulpet for the first 25-30 kms is not so good. It has a lot of unscientific speed-breakers and, diversions (some new bridges are being constructed).

But once you complete this stretch of 30km, the road is very good upto Gundulpet. Later again from Gundulpet to Gopalswamy temple the road is in a bad shape.

Any place to stay?? I think you mean on the hill, right? On the hill you only have a government guest house and that can can be booked in Bangalore and Bandipur.

If you mean someplace near to Gopalswamy Hills, you can stay in Gundulpet. It has a couple of good places to stay I think, resort and hotel kinds. Or you can also book cottages in Bandipur.

Yes, this is the reason. But still people manage to sneak in alcohol and non-veg stuff up the hill.
Had heard about Gopalswamy Betta as a good long drive destination from Bangalore and came across your group's thread. Thanks for the well documented writeup. Have you guys done any more of these drives later?

Any idea what is the road condition at present and how long would it take directly from Bangalore (of course with some food and refreshment breaks). We were planning to do this either with a stop over at Mysore or directly depending on the condition on ground. It would be nice to hear from any one who has done this drive recently.
Old 30th March 2012, 13:11   #19
BHPian

Hi,
From Hangala to Gopalaswamy betta road condition is okay for vehicles like bolero,Thar,Scorpio etc., watch for potholes and sharp road edges. According to me this is not good time to visit since summer season drained almost everything from mother nature, & place looks horribly dry. But the place looks like a heaven during post mansoons i.e, in Sept.,Oct. and I think this is the best time to visit Gopalaswamy Betta. It is always better to say at Mysore , and carry sufficient water, food parcel from Mysore itself. At Hangala I have seen shops selling unbranded mineral water. Never venture in to the forests near the temple because one villager told me that poisonous snakes are common over there. From Mysore Hangala can be reached within 90 minutes. You will encounter heavy traffic during this weekend in this route since at Nanjanagudu temple car festival will be there.
Take care!
B.R.S.Rao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th March 2012, 13:31   #20
BHPian

Some time ago I heard some unconfirmed news about heavy car parking charges and restricted timings and movement around the temple there. Can anyone confirm about the same?

Regards,
Old 30th March 2012, 17:03   #21
BHPian

Yes, Forest department collects money below and near the temple some guys will appear as soon as you park your vehicle there. They have collected Rs.20/- for my maruti and in that thin stretch parking is a horrible experience, and taxi guys make your life miserable however cool you are! There is no point in staying after 6 pm risking wild animals, unruly / drunken tourists who comes there for party in the weekends. And never keep costly items visible in your car while parking over there.
Take care!
Old 30th March 2012, 17:18   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by B.R.S.Rao View Post
Yes, Forest department collects money below and near the temple some guys will appear as soon as you park your vehicle there. They have collected Rs.20/- for my maruti and in that thin stretch parking is a horrible experience, and taxi guys make your life miserable however cool you are! There is no point in staying after 6 pm risking wild animals, unruly / drunken tourists who comes there for party in the weekends. And never keep costly items visible in your car while parking over there.
Take care!
When did they start collecting parking fees at the hill top? I had been there 6-8 months back. Didn't find anyone asking for fees.

How good are the road now? For maniacs like us, the very sight will make our heart skip a beat. I am sure Civic and other low slung car owners would have died a thousand deaths before they reach the top.

Psst: Its a good idea to take your jeep
Old 30th March 2012, 17:43   #23
BHPian

Also, there were reports that trekkeing is not permitted now beyond the temple. IIRC, one can stand in the temple compound and view the hills, but not venture into them.
Old 30th March 2012, 19:46   #24
BHPian

This is how it looked earlier this month.

This was my first time to that place. They collect Rs.50/- at the checkpost. You are given 1.5 hrs to return back. Strictly no plastic covers allowed to the hilltop. You are also required to deposit any food items that you have (finger food) - dunno why? They have made arrangements for a small rack where you can place the food that you are carrying and take it back when you return. They were actively tracking vehicles using their walkie-talkies!
Attached Thumbnails
A Day Trip To Gopalswamy Betta-201203-gopalaswamy-betta.jpg  

Old 10th April 2012, 14:42   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinj12 View Post
When did they start collecting parking fees at the hill top? I had been there 6-8 months back. Didn't find anyone asking for fees.
It may be another scam. Those kind of things are part and parcel of any tourist place.
Old 10th April 2012, 15:45   #26
Senior - BHPian

Gopalswamy Betta always had the Vehicle entry fee at the forest checkpost. What they have done now is they are monitoring the entry and exit of vehicles to prevent any tourists overstaying.

It was also always illegal to trek the hills beyond the temple compound though it was not strictly followed. Now though the forest department is strictly following this as well in order to prevent tourists walking into the forests on their own. In the days gone by you could have even stayed overnight in the temple compound nobody would have cared, this is not possible anymore.
Old 18th April 2012, 10:39   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pypkmsrikanth View Post
Gopalswamy Betta always had the Vehicle entry fee at the forest checkpost. What they have done now is they are monitoring the entry and exit of vehicles to prevent any tourists overstaying.

It was also always illegal to trek the hills beyond the temple compound though it was not strictly followed. Now though the forest department is strictly following this as well in order to prevent tourists walking into the forests on their own. In the days gone by you could have even stayed overnight in the temple compound nobody would have cared, this is not possible anymore.
I had written it in my blog about an year back about the changes there. The link is here

Quote:
Now some interesting facts about Gopalaswamy Betta which have changed due to a few unwanted instances that have happened (which I will not mention here on the blog)
  1. The entry timings to the temple has been changed from 6 am - 6 pm to 8.30 am to 4.30 pm.
  2. Checking at the check post to ensure no traveler is carrying food items and plastic
  3. Trekking at the hill is strictly prohibited.
  4. Forest guards now have walkie talkie to get update and provide update.
My personal view is that things have changed for good. The serene environment here was getting gradually degraded to yet another tourist place
This place was becoming a menace with tourists having very little common sense when it comes to protecting the environment. The changes that have been made is for good and we need to respect it.

Had a chance to help the forest department guys who were looking out for people throwing plastic on the way.

These changes was brought about by

Praveen Ram (Conservationist)
Hanumantappa DFO (Bandipur NP)
Nagarajegowda RFO.

Official rule with the changes were signed by PCCF. Mr. Singh.

Another way they of discouraging unwanted toursit visitors is high entry fee and hefty fines for violating any of the rules at the place.
nkrishnap is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks