Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th August 2009, 16:34   #151
Sha
BHPian

Day-14 Tso Moriri to Tso Kor, Keylong

We were supposed to leave early morning so we can see Tso Kor lake and proceed to Keylong for night halt but it was freezing morning with cold wind had to delay by 2 hours eventually we left at 8.30am. Vijay's Gypsy had to be towed for starting the Vehicle one lesson learnt carry Jump Start Cable always very useful.
Drive till Sumdo Village is gravel road and its boring drive with Nomads living around roads. The road from Sumdo to Tso Kor is also gravel road with full of dust,on the way we encountered a Bullet gang fully professionally with back up vehicle driving like Dons. Driving for 2 hours no dabhas for tea break but at last we found one dabha in small village but strange part nobody in the village, only two guys managing the dabha had good maggi and tea and left the place. When we encountered the lake it was not worth it we felt one small lake before Tso Moriri is much more better than this. Lake is wildlife protected area and it's good for bird photography but we did not find even single bird we knew that we got spend some time in lake to capture bird but no time had to leave otherwise we had to stay in Sarchu. There is one camp near lake where accommodation is available but not worth it my personal view, From the camp road is full tarred till more plains once reached Plains we zoomed and reached pang where we had our lunch and favorite lemon tea. Reached Sarchu at exactly 6PM and asked police check post guys can we proceed to Baralacha he gave green signal once reached Baralacha got struck in traffic jam badly had to take all winter cloths from bag which had neatly packed, just ego between truck drivers will lead to traffic jam nobody wants to back out. After spending one hour lonely truck started to move and I found some place to sneak in luckily I escaped from traffic jam but Vijay was struck 10 trucks behind so he spend more time in hostile condition, when reached Keylong no accommodation available for night anywhere in Keylong due to truck overturn at entrance of Keylong town all tourist who where supposed to vacate had stayed again but HPTDC hotel guy helped in finding one lousy hotel but only one room available immediately called up Vijay who was 30 minutes behind and asked him to find accommodation at Jispa itself, nobody knew when the truck will be lifted so decided to leave late morning so Vijay can also catch up.

Tso Kor Lake

Bangalore to Leh in two Gypsy's- covered 8000 KM in 18 days-p21.jpg

Bangalore to Leh in two Gypsy's- covered 8000 KM in 18 days-p22.jpg

Bangalore to Leh in two Gypsy's- covered 8000 KM in 18 days-p23.jpg

Bangalore to Leh in two Gypsy's- covered 8000 KM in 18 days-p24.jpg

Bangalore to Leh in two Gypsy's- covered 8000 KM in 18 days-p25.jpg

Bangalore to Leh in two Gypsy's- covered 8000 KM in 18 days-p26.jpg

Bangalore to Leh in two Gypsy's- covered 8000 KM in 18 days-p27.jpg

Bangalore to Leh in two Gypsy's- covered 8000 KM in 18 days-p28.jpg

Bangalore to Leh in two Gypsy's- covered 8000 KM in 18 days-p29.jpg

Baralacha Pass Traffic Jam

Bangalore to Leh in two Gypsy's- covered 8000 KM in 18 days-p1.jpg

Bangalore to Leh in two Gypsy's- covered 8000 KM in 18 days-p2.jpg

Bangalore to Leh in two Gypsy's- covered 8000 KM in 18 days-p3.jpg

Bangalore to Leh in two Gypsy's- covered 8000 KM in 18 days-p4.jpg

Bangalore to Leh in two Gypsy's- covered 8000 KM in 18 days-p5.jpg

Bangalore to Leh in two Gypsy's- covered 8000 KM in 18 days-p6.jpg

Bangalore to Leh in two Gypsy's- covered 8000 KM in 18 days-p7.jpg

Bangalore to Leh in two Gypsy's- covered 8000 KM in 18 days-p8.jpg

Bangalore to Leh in two Gypsy's- covered 8000 KM in 18 days-p9.jpg

Bangalore to Leh in two Gypsy's- covered 8000 KM in 18 days-p10.jpg

Bangalore to Leh in two Gypsy's- covered 8000 KM in 18 days-p11.jpg

Bangalore to Leh in two Gypsy's- covered 8000 KM in 18 days-p12.jpg

Bangalore to Leh in two Gypsy's- covered 8000 KM in 18 days-p13.jpg

Bangalore to Leh in two Gypsy's- covered 8000 KM in 18 days-p14.jpg

Bangalore to Leh in two Gypsy's- covered 8000 KM in 18 days-p15.jpg

Bangalore to Leh in two Gypsy's- covered 8000 KM in 18 days-p16.jpg

Bangalore to Leh in two Gypsy's- covered 8000 KM in 18 days-p17.jpg

Bangalore to Leh in two Gypsy's- covered 8000 KM in 18 days-p18.jpg

Bangalore to Leh in two Gypsy's- covered 8000 KM in 18 days-p19.jpg

Bangalore to Leh in two Gypsy's- covered 8000 KM in 18 days-p20.jpg
Old 6th August 2009, 16:41   #152
Senior - BHPian

Whats this? Right hand side driving?

or its just our usual truckers going at their own ways??
Old 6th August 2009, 17:03   #153
Sha
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjothi View Post
Whats this? Right hand side driving?

or its just our usual truckers going at their own ways??
In Passes it all single lane road so have to back up to find space either left or right side so for few metres all are in wrong side, You got to see live, there will be truck touching each other Kiss.
Old 6th August 2009, 18:05   #154
BHPian

I'm really enjoying this blog!
Old 6th August 2009, 18:06   #155
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjothi View Post
Whats this? Right hand side driving? or its just our usual truckers going at their own ways??
Actually it makes sense when you are on top of a road that is barely wide enough to let two trucks pass abreast. It is not driving per se but just a manoeuvre to pass each other.

The driver being on the right side is able to get his vehicle as close as possible to right side and same for the guy going up. I have seen them judging the side with half the tyre width hanging in air!!!

If you notice one of the first picture with line of tankers they are all parked with distance from each other. Simply because they have parked at locations where road is widest.
Old 7th August 2009, 15:34   #156
Senior - BHPian

@Sha: Could you please throw some more light on the route from Tso kar to More Plains, especially the point where it joins the main road. Will appreciate some pictures of the spot in case you have them. Also the distance and the time it took you to reach More Plains.

Last edited by wanderernomad : 7th August 2009 at 15:35. Reason: typo transformed @SHA into ASHA. lol
Old 7th August 2009, 15:45   #157
BHPian

This is an incredible road trip. Hats off to you guys.
Old 7th August 2009, 16:09   #158
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
I have seen them judging the side with half the tyre width hanging in air!!!
its really scary to even hear this.

Now I understand. The driver will have a better view of his limit to the right and hence this flow of traffic. Umm.
Old 7th August 2009, 16:20   #159
Senior - BHPian

[quote=sudev;1419477

The driver being on the right side is able to get his vehicle as close as possible to right side and same for the guy going up. I have seen them judging the side with half the tyre width hanging in air!!!

.[/quote] I have seen this being done in Uttaranchal with buses filled with passengers. Scary thing
Old 10th August 2009, 21:05   #160
BHPian

@Sha,

I am planning to do a similar trip. I don't think stock tires will be sufficient. Can you please tell me which tyre u were using? Did you upgrade the size. And how did they perform? Did both of you had similar tires?. And lastly, any suggestions.

I think tyres will be the only up gradation a stock gypsy requires other than the a/c. Do you think any other mod is also required.

Thanx in advance.
Old 11th August 2009, 21:39   #161
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderhermit View Post
@Sha,

I am planning to do a similar trip. I don't think stock tires will be sufficient. Can you please tell me which tyre u were using? Did you upgrade the size. And how did they perform? Did both of you had similar tires?. And lastly, any suggestions.

I think tyres will be the only up gradation a stock gypsy requires other than the a/c. Do you think any other mod is also required.

Thanx in advance.
Hi
My gypsy with 215x75 R15 cooper ATS, shakir' s gypsy with 215x75 R15 Yokohama geolanders, both are new tires and performed good.
Old 11th August 2009, 22:21   #162
Sha
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderernomad View Post
@Sha: Could you please throw some more light on the route from Tso kar to More Plains, especially the point where it joins the main road. Will appreciate some pictures of the spot in case you have them. Also the distance and the time it took you to reach More Plains.
Tso Kar lake to more plain is straight road no problem it's straight drive till you reach T-Intersection which is more plain you will find lot of Nomads camps with Gypsy parked in their tents.
From Tso kar it's short distance approx 22 KM and it's tar road after Lake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionell View Post
This is an incredible road trip. Hats off to you guys.
Thanks mate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderhermit View Post
@Sha,

Thanx in advance.
Already Swastikviji has mentioned about tyres , both the tires performed excellent in Himalaya trip.
Modification is required only if you are serious in offroading for general stock Gypsy is fine buddy.
Old 11th August 2009, 23:03   #163
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swastikviji View Post
Hi
My gypsy with 215x75 R15 cooper ATS, shakir' s gypsy with 215x75 R15 Yokohama geolanders, both are new tires and performed good.
Are the geloanders All Terrain? How did they perform on the normal highway and what is the general life of these?
Old 11th August 2009, 23:09   #164
Sha
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
Are the geloanders All Terrain? How did they perform on the normal highway and what is the general life of these?
It's all terrain tyres, I have completed 25k with Geo's still 50-60% thread left. Any AT tyres which gives above 30K is excellent. In highway it's excellent and just completed extreme offroading in Somwerpet my trust on Geo's have increased.
Old 11th August 2009, 23:16   #165
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sha View Post
It's all terrain tyres, I have completed 25k with Geo's still 50-60% thread left. Any AT tyres which gives above 30K is excellent. In highway it's excellent and just completed extreme offroading in Somwerpet my trust on Geo's have increased.
Reason I ask is I have Bridgestone Dueler H/T on my Bolero and I feel it skids sideways when I take it off the tarmac. I feel the rear slides when I go off the road at highspeed

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks