Old 16th July 2009, 08:20   #106
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sha View Post
Day-11 Leh to Pangong Tso lake

Route: Leh-Karu-Shakti-Tangstse-Lukung-Spangmik
Night halt: Pangong Tso Resort, Spangmik

Chang La was most difficult to climb due to lack of oxygen,
Does that mean that Turbo charged vehicles will have it slightly easier than the non - turbo vehicles?
Old 16th July 2009, 11:28   #107
Senior - BHPian

I have a few pictures of the route to Changla from Zingral all covered in snow. I never got around to posting my own travelogues of that area. If you dont mind, and I am able to locate the pictures, can I post them here on this thread?

There is a cobalt hill close to PTso which has these stones lying in abundance on the hill slopes. Did you manage a boat ride on the lake? Both ITBP and Army has boats there. The route as I see has not improved even slightly but you go through some lovely meadows between Tangtse and Ptso. The drive is worth its weight in the rolling and pitching and pain in where you know, lol.
Old 16th July 2009, 12:04   #108
BHPian

am curious if the filmy folks leave all the trash behind or make sure they dont spoil the environment before leaving.
Old 16th July 2009, 13:20   #109
BHPian

Sha & team, Congratulations on an experience of a lifetime. Very well done, Excellent pics and easy narration. Every time I read travelogues of Leh, it inspires me to take on this journey but never have the urge been so strong after reading your Epic journey.

Now that I have almost decided to do this in Oct 09, Ofcourse I have read hundreds of posts advising that Oct is not the best time, but I have to plan my vaction accordingly so that I can attaend my childhood friend's wedding on Oct 19th, I need some advice from you.

1) Am planning for a 10 day start to finish trip starting from Bangalore. Is this OK if not what could I skip or do to make this possible
2) Innova petrol would be my companion, is this a good enough vehicle for the terrain? and if yes,what are the modifications that have to be done

Cheers,
Old 16th July 2009, 14:36   #110
BHPian

Dear Sha/Vijay.

Good that I caught up with your thread only now, I didn't have to swallow your early teasers and wait for at least some of the meaty narration and photos to pop up! Great effort guys.
Good to see all the T-BHPians pitching in with invitations to Tea/Lunch etc. I am planning a drive from New Delhi - the direction and destination to be decided by the number and convenience of invitations to free tea/breakfast/lunch/tea/dinner/bed I receive.

And there will be room in my Gypsy, so first come-first served !
Let the invitations begin.

Seriously guys, great job. Wish I had come along.
Old 16th July 2009, 14:56   #111
Sha
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
Does that mean that Turbo charged vehicles will have it slightly easier than the non - turbo vehicles?
I have no Knowledge about Diesel Engine but I can say with live experience one scorpio was struggling to climb and I have to overtake the vehicle, it does not mean vehicle will not climb.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderernomad View Post
I have a few pictures of the route to Changla from Zingral all covered in snow. I never got around to posting my own travelogues of that area. If you dont mind, and I am able to locate the pictures, can I post them here on this thread?

There is a cobalt hill close to PTso which has these stones lying in abundance on the hill slopes. Did you manage a boat ride on the lake? Both ITBP and Army has boats there.
You can post photos, We where offered boat ride but we had no time, had to conquer Marisimik La.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoranjit View Post
am curious if the filmy folks leave all the trash behind or make sure they dont spoil the environment before leaving.
Good thing they were cleaning after shoot,but here and there some thrash was lying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by babupaul View Post

1) Am planning for a 10 day start to finish trip starting from Bangalore. Is this OK if not what could I skip or do to make this possible
2) Innova petrol would be my companion, is this a good enough vehicle for the terrain? and if yes,what are the modifications that have to be done

Cheers,
10 days from bangalore it not possible but from delhi you can do it. To reach manali from bangalore it will take 3 days so you are left with 7 days to cover leh and return back to bangalore.
Old 16th July 2009, 15:15   #112
Senior - BHPian

Congrats Sha,

thats a great acheivement and lifetime trip you guys have done.

Quote:
but I can say with live experience one scorpio was struggling to climb and I have to overtake the vehicle, it does not mean vehicle will not climb.
So the conclusion is that the Scorpio in question was able to climb too though with difficulty.

I am just trying to make sure that it can be doable in 2WD Safari/Scorpio too if no 4x4 is available.

cheers
Old 16th July 2009, 15:47   #113
Senior - BHPian

Sha/Vijay,

Late but not least in commenting. You guys had your days. Travelogue is amazing and pictures speak more than words. Congratulations. I know lot more is there to read and see.
Old 16th July 2009, 16:00   #114
Sha
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by simply_sunny001 View Post
I am just trying to make sure that it can be doable in 2WD Safari/Scorpio too if no 4x4 is available.

cheers
Absolutely any 2WD can go unless you are trying off the road tracks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwaraka View Post
Sha/Vijay,

Late but not least in commenting. You guys had your days. Travelogue is amazing and pictures speak more than words. Congratulations. I know lot more is there to read and see.
Thanks Sir, Still two lakes left.
Old 16th July 2009, 16:09   #115
Senior - BHPian

Sunny, a scorpio or a safari 2X2 will easily do it. The Changla route is slightly tiring because of steep gradient, broken roads (read watery chasms ever few meters), typical bowl shaped pass making oxygen/air even rarer than what it is normal for those altitudes, cold. But I have seen even a priya scooter with a rider and baggage strapped on making it through Changla and that too while it was snowing. So dont worry it is less threatening on ground than what you read , hear and see in pictures. Go ahead and have fun.
Old 16th July 2009, 16:45   #116
Senior - BHPian

Sha and Co. superb set of pictures which does describe more then words, awaiting for those two more lakes travelouge to read and see through, keep them coming.
Old 16th July 2009, 16:56   #117
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Absolutely any 2WD can go unless you are trying off the road tracks.

Thanks Sir, Still two lakes left.
And how many more LA's left in your trip

Come on guys finish it fast 7more days of your trip left and waiting for more pictures.
Old 16th July 2009, 17:27   #118
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
Yes. The only way to make a diesel engine run better at high altitude is to cram more air into the engine; turbo pushes more air into the chambers and where the air is thinner this surely helps.

I don't know if a modern Scorpio CRDE ECU self-adjusts to make the air richer?
-----
Old 16th July 2009, 18:12   #119
BHPian

I didn't had any problem crossing this pass while doing Pangong, my Scorpio was doing good, the only place where I had problem was the Pagal nalah and that not because of height, but because of the condition, there was no road it was all boulders, over all I made the mistake to go straight rather than taking the detour that was quite good compared to the straight road[ I took that while returning]. I believe if you Air Filter is in good shape modern diesel car are good enough.

-Pramod
Old 16th July 2009, 18:17   #120
Sha
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramods View Post
I had problem was the Pagal nalah and that not because of height, but because of the condition, there was no road it was all boulders, over all I made the mistake to go straight rather than taking the detour that was quite good compared to the straight road[ I took that while returning]. -Pramod
Thats 4x4 territory mate .

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks