Team-BHP > Travelogues

Search this Thread
Old 6th July 2009, 08:39   #16
BHPian

Wonderful write up and great pictures. These are amazing places and no matter how many times you visit, they always have something unique to offer.
Old 6th July 2009, 10:20   #17
Senior - BHPian

Nice pictures and travelogue. Kodai and Munnar are awesome with rains hanging around. Driving in the rains through winding roads are a thrill of its own.

I think the tusker which chased you (could have been a mock charge for all you know as elephants seldom do full charge) is possibly one of the camp elephants of Bandipur / Mudumalai in musth and not a wild elephant. The trimmed tusks are a pointer that this guy is a tamed one.

Though am sure it does not give you courage to know that its a tamed elephant and not a wild one when you have a multi tonner charging at you in full glory and you fumble your way through starting your car and trying to move away.

One of the biggest mistakes which people make is getting down from their cars to take snaps assuming because of the size elephants can't move fast. If need be an elephant can easily out run an adult human being.

I was witness to a similar charge by a mother which had a young calf by its side.

Kodai and Munnar in the First Rains...-charging-mother.jpg
Old 6th July 2009, 13:47   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pypkmsrikanth View Post
I think the tusker which chased you (could have been a mock charge for all you know as elephants seldom do full charge) is possibly one of the camp elephants of Bandipur / Mudumalai in musth and not a wild elephant. The trimmed tusks are a pointer that this guy is a tamed one.

Attachment 154893
That's a sharp one. Not sure whether they let the elephant's in musk to wander around, but a close observation of the snap it looks like trimmed tusks.

As you told correctly, most of the elephant charges are mock. Else I would not have been here to key in this after a lone tusker charged us in Masanagudi when we were on foot..
Old 6th July 2009, 13:56   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadadhar View Post
That's a sharp one. Not sure whether they let the elephant's in musk to wander around, but a close observation of the snap it looks like trimmed tusks.
The reason the musth elephant is allowed to roam even if its a camp elephant is to encourage mating with wild elephants. Am sure you would agree very few wild elephants are as good as the camp elephants in terms of physical condition, because the camp elephants live a less sternous life as compared to the wild elephants who have to live with reducing habitation, unbalanced diet because of over grazing of forest lands especially the peripheral areas, not to forget man animal conflict.

So the offsprings from camp elephants are in a better shape not to forget the diverse genetic pool it may bring in since the camp elephants could be from a completely different forest area for all you know.

Thanks for the comment on the photo, it was just a matter of holding the camera steady and shoot
Old 7th July 2009, 19:08   #20
Senior - BHPian

roadie swift, that was a fantastic travelogue with great photos. You have tempted me for a Munnar trip... My favorite destination is Kodai.. but never done on a car...

Srikath, are you into any wildlife stuff

Last edited by Rehaan : 7th July 2009 at 23:21. Reason: r u = are you. Please type in full.
Old 7th July 2009, 19:20   #21
Senior - BHPian

Wow great pics & nice travelogue. Thanks for sharing it with us
Old 7th July 2009, 20:35   #22
BHPian

Thanks!

wonderful pics! weather looks awesome. Thanks for sharing!
Old 8th July 2009, 08:56   #23
BHPian

Whoa.. Fantastic pics and nice writeup.. Its tempting man!

OT:
As one of the hotel guy said, India is facing drought situation and one of the tourist lambasting rain???

Please pray for rain and welcome the love of nature!!!
Old 8th July 2009, 09:11   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surprise View Post
Srikath, are you into any wildlife stuff
Wildlife is one of my interests, at one point every second week I used to be at Bandipur / Mudumalai / Muthunga / Nagarhole
Old 8th July 2009, 16:32   #25
Senior - BHPian

@Roadie Swift. Beautiful pictures I must say!
Old 8th July 2009, 19:24   #26
BHPian

wow, well written! loved the pic of the green hills and the blue skies - the very second kodai pic. looks too good to be real :P taken with a filter or what?
Old 8th July 2009, 21:09   #27
Senior - BHPian

Nice pics of munnar & kodai. BTW, have you taken any pics in and around where you stayed?

Most Viewed