Team-BHP > Travelogues

Search this Thread
Old 23rd July 2009, 15:53   #46
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Warrior View Post
Excellent Pics buddy.

I wish i had a Genie so i could ask for a 4 X 4 SUV and embark on this trip, till then i'll enjoy through this and all the other Leh Travelogues...
Thanks buddy, the place is just so beautiful, all you need is to click pics come good automatically.
Hey, we're riding the same boat mate. Even me waiting to get me an off-roader now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoonwheels View Post
lordofgondor you are responsible for me being non productive since last 1/2 hr. Every pic took 1/2 min at least. Awesome.... Mera Bharat Mahan !!!!
Hey buddy, it's nice to know that I am probably breaking the monotony of a fellow motor head's work.
Old 23rd July 2009, 16:30   #47
Senior - BHPian

Awesome, keep 'em coming!
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordofgondor View Post
The process made us loose about 1.5 hours and I was again obvious that Kangla Jal was waiting for us. Struck a conversation with a few locals transporting a group of travelers in Force Tempo Traveller. They subsided my fears by assuring that the nallah is a whimper if you cross it before 4. Though I was a bit relieved by that, but still unsure.
As you would have noticed from my post & pics of Kang La Jal (which we crossed before lunch time), its not the water level but the boulders which are a pain in the nether regions. Most vehicles get stuck on the stones & keep sinking deeper. Anyway, waiting for Lachulung La!!!
Old 23rd July 2009, 16:34   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordofgondor View Post
Thanks man.

Yeah man, go for it. Just get under body protection for sure. BTW, what's the GC of NHC?
GC is not all that good man. Its just about 160 mm. But, I did drive it around some really bad roads (towards Srisailam) and managed to avoid any hits to the under body.

Awesome pics there and am really kicked now. Great stuff, keep it coming.
Old 23rd July 2009, 16:44   #49
Sha
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
Awesome, keep 'em coming!

As you would have noticed from my post & pics of Kang La Jal (which we crossed before lunch time), its not the water level but the boulders which are a pain in the nether regions. Most vehicles get stuck on the stones & keep sinking deeper. Anyway, waiting for Lachulung La!!!
Both kang La Jal and Pagal Nala dissappointed us.
Old 23rd July 2009, 16:49   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sha View Post
I agree whole-heartedly! But a lot of the 4x2 variety still got stuck at Kang La Jal - with hardly any Jal there!
Been Leh'd & back: The dream come true!-img_3051.jpg

As for Pagal Nallah, the less said the better. All that hype for the past one year and then - NOTHING!!!

(Lordofgondor, sorry to hijack your thread mate )

Last edited by suman : 23rd July 2009 at 16:53.
Old 23rd July 2009, 16:59   #51
BHPian

Hey LoG , If you are not a photographer , trust me , you in the wrong job.
GET THE RIGHT JOB MAN.!!
Old 23rd July 2009, 17:24   #52
Senior - BHPian

Did these stones at Nakeela had prayer engravings on them? You find many such small chortan kind of things all across Ladakh.
Never knew Kangla jal was such a horror place. Lol that poor Qualis I think mis steped slightly..

Last edited by wanderernomad : 23rd July 2009 at 17:26.
Old 23rd July 2009, 17:25   #53
Sha
BHPian

Quote:
As for Pagal Nallah, the less said the better. All that hype for the past one year and then - NOTHING!!!

Perfectly said for pagal nala. At Kang La Jaal we were helping Bullet members to cross it. one member got stuck in such a way neither he fell down nor able to move.

@Lordofgondor- sorry to hijack for few post buddy.
Old 23rd July 2009, 18:17   #54
BHPian

After Nakeela, the drive wasn't that exciting with kinda drab scenery around.

Been Leh'd & back: The dream come true!-img_0540.jpg

Been Leh'd & back: The dream come true!-img_0548.jpg

Then came Lachung La and quite frankly I was kinda disappointed with the total lack of snow. This was mostly cause seeing so much snow Baralacha La, I was expecting more.

Been Leh'd & back: The dream come true!-dsc06402.jpg

My baby after conquering another pass.

Been Leh'd & back: The dream come true!-dsc06407.jpg

After the pass, there was some exciting stuff to see, particularly the interesting carvings done by the winds on the mountains.

Been Leh'd & back: The dream come true!-dsc06410.jpg

Been Leh'd & back: The dream come true!-dsc06411.jpg

And then came the part which I'd been dying to see. The Morey Plains. Amazing creation of nature, such a huge plateau surrounded by tall mountains.

Been Leh'd & back: The dream come true!-dsc06417.jpg

Been Leh'd & back: The dream come true!-dsc06424.jpg

Been Leh'd & back: The dream come true!-dsc06431.jpg

Been Leh'd & back: The dream come true!-dsc06430.jpg

But I have a big complaint with these plains. They are one pain in the a@# for sedans. Very bumpy road (when it's there) & too many diversions into sand. This is the place where I badly damaged my clutch plate, which lead to a disaster later in the trip (more on that later). We traversed all the diversions pretty comfortably, but well sometimes worst things are stored for last. On the final diversion, we managed to loose track of the road and kept going away from it. Suddenly there was sand all around us, and nowhere else to go. I floored the accelerator and kept praying that we don't get stuck but alas, I wasn't able to maintain the required momentum and stalled, at an incline, about 50 mt from the road. I was concerned but not alarmed at that point. But then I saw something that scarred the willies outta me. A huge twister, friends I ain't exaggerating it was huge, was headed straight for us. It was few hundred meters away and I panicked big time. Asked wife to run a safe distance away from the car, locked all doors, rolled up the windows and started trying to move the car away. In doing so I did a lot of half clutching and this damaged the clutch plate. But still no luck, and now I was quite frankly scared. Then came my guardian angel in the form of a local minibus driver. He promptly analyzed the situation, took the car about 200 mt back in reverse, and brought it forward, in first gear, sliding in all directions. He maintained the momentum and got the car back on road. The twister passed us barely 50 - 60 mt away. GOD bless you wherever you are man.

Next stop Tanglang La.
Old 23rd July 2009, 18:18   #55
NIP
Senior - BHPian

Seriously, I'll agree these are some of the best images of the Himalayas I've seen. Many people get good equipment, make a lot of noise about it...and still come back with crappy images. Awesome work !
Old 23rd July 2009, 18:30   #56
Senior - BHPian

Awesome Images !!! BTW were these taken by a DSLR?
Old 23rd July 2009, 18:33   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sha View Post
Hey Sha, come on buddy, you're in a Gypsy. It gobbles those kinda terrains. Both these nallahs have made even trucks & SUVs stuck inside them. At least that's what the locals told me. Also when we were at Pagal, an Army recovery van was permanently posted there to help stuck vehicles.

Quote:
I agree whole-heartedly! But a lot of the 4x2 variety still got stuck at Kang La Jal - with hardly any Jal there!

Arrey Suman Da, you're most welcome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP_812 View Post
Hey LoG , If you are not a photographer , trust me , you in the wrong job.
GET THE RIGHT JOB MAN.!!
Hey RP, thanks I'll take it as a compliment. I definitely aint' a photographer buddy, just an amateur. But tell you what, gonna give photography a serious thought for an alternate career.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderernomad View Post
Did these stones at Nakeela had prayer engravings on them? You find many such small chortan kind of things all across Ladakh.
Never knew Kangla jal was such a horror place. Lol that poor Qualis I think mis steped slightly..
Nope, no engravings just lying on top of each other. Churrtens are very small Gompas, but they still are complete structures, these were wierd. But I believe you're right, the shape and structure of those stones and churrtens is similar.

Hey, the local taxi guys told me, while we're stuck for the bridge to be repaired, that Kangla Jal is furious after 5. Lotta buses, trucks, SUVs... have been stuck big time in there. But when we got there, which was like 1 PM, it was easy to cross, except the big boulders.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NIP View Post
Seriously, I'll agree these are some of the best images of the Himalayas I've seen. Many people get good equipment, make a lot of noise about it...and still come back with crappy images. Awesome work !
Hey that's a huge compliment buddy, thanks!

@MileCruncher: Hey thanks man. The images are taken from a mix of a Pn'S (Canon Powershot A580 IS) & a DSLR (Sony Alpha 100).

Last edited by lordofgondor : 23rd July 2009 at 18:40.
Old 23rd July 2009, 18:49   #58
BHPian

Bro...My heart is pounding like a piston of speeding car . I expect to do this very soon, ibn my 12 year Old babe. I am dying to see mud and marks all over its black body, I simply love that look of it.

by the way, you said that you found Rohtang La was worse ? Is it true, because that gives me some confidence as I have crossed that in an Alto earlier this month.
Old 23rd July 2009, 18:53   #59
BHPian

Divine terrain, great writeup and Godly photography, O lordofgondor!
Old 23rd July 2009, 18:55   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shashank.A View Post
I am dying to see mud and marks all over its black body, I simply love that look of it.
Why, those deeply embedded scratch marks that we saw last time have all been removed, is it?

Most Viewed