Team-BHP - Mangalore-Kuduremukha-Kalasa- Horanadu
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Travelogues (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travelogues/)
-   -   Mangalore-Kuduremukha-Kalasa- Horanadu (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travelogues/63901-mangalore-kuduremukha-kalasa-horanadu.html)

Route: Mangalore - Mudabidre - Karkala - Kuduremukha - Samse - Kalasa - Horanadu & return.
Road Condition: Good
Total kms : 234 km
Best time to visit: After mansoon till March
Accomodation : Decent Lodges are available at , Mudabidre, Karkala, and Horanadu.
Places of Interest: At Mangalore - Pilikula Nisargadhama, Kadri park, Panambur beach, Someshwara beach, Sultan batteri,Kadri temple, Kateel temple( about 22 kms) Surathkal Beach etc.
At Mudabidre - Pandith spa, Soan's farms (homestay),Thousand pillar jain temple,Hanuman temple, Dr.Alava's siddhavanaetc.
At Karkala - Agumbe ( about 45kms),Gomateshwara, Venkataramana temple,Sringeri (about 55 kms),Kuduremukha etc.

I have been to Horanadu many times and on 16th Sunday, I decided to visit Horanadu once again. This time I thought of sharing this with team bhpns. This is my first travelogue. I hope that you all will like it.

Nice photos....are there any more ? Did you actually photograph the famous "Kudremukh" peak , which I think means like the head of a horse in Kannada....I am not sure though....:)

Quote:

Originally Posted by ambivalent_98 (Post 1441930)
Nice photos....are there any more ? Did you actually photograph the famous "Kudremukh" peak , which I think means like the head of a horse in Kannada....I am not sure though....:)

Yeah Its true, The tip of the peak looks like the face of a horse. Hence the name. I haven't seen it myself, just heard from friends.:D

Awesome photos.
I always wanted to go to kudremukh kalasa and hornadu
had heard lots from my mother. If I take Kundapura as a base. which is the route I should take and best season to visit. Any suggestions would be welcome.

Nice pictures.

Usual question --> Why is the car parked on the wrong side of the road? Is it one way :)

Nice pictures, what are the stay options at Kudremukh?
Some captions about the places in the snaps would have been even better.

BRS Rao, nice pictures never get bored of hills and beaches no matter how many times you see:)

Btw when i had been to the dam i was asked not to venture too far as there were many wild bore...not sure how true it is?

The board is perfect! right on dot;)

Nice snaps.. And good route selection.
Lakya dam is usually restricted for Public. And taking snaps over this dam is also prohibited.
I am sure the drive through Kudremukh sanctuary would have been amazing at this time of the year. And the Kalasa tea estates would be great too.

I had done this route way back in Y2002, thanks for posting the pictures
Kudremukh is one of the best locations in Karnataka during Mansoons.
i missed some details about your journey in your post, or is it coming in second installment ?

Pramod, i agree with you...but this road is also tricky and many accidents happen in this route...when ever i pass by this route i make sure am slow as am worried that some animal might be crossing...

Does anyone have the "kudre-mukh" peak photo on a clear cloudless day ? Would love to see it....also guess what I don't know one bit of Kannada but I did see a logo of "Kudremukh Steel" which has a horse head...and I know "mukh" means head / mouth....so I guessed Kudre would be Kannada for horse.... :) .... so anyone have a clear picture ?

Quote:

Originally Posted by kavesh55 (Post 1442117)
Awesome photos.
I always wanted to go to kudremukh kalasa and hornadu
had heard lots from my mother. If I take Kundapura as a base. which is the route I should take and best season to visit. Any suggestions would be welcome.

One route that I can think of is Kundapur -> Udupi -> Karkala -> Kudremukh -> Kalasa -> Horanadu.

September - October would be a good season to visit. You can see greenery all around and not much of rains too.

Also if you are planning to cover Sringeri in this trip, make sure to inquire around before taking the Kerekatte route (a diversion from Kudremukh route at the Dakshina Kannada border). In Jan, I had unfortunately taken this route and my brand new Swift VDi took quite a beating. The stretch of 20 kms was like moon's surface with craters :Frustrati

From Kalasa, there is an alternate route to Sringeri. So you can plan a loop Kundapur -> Udupi -> Karkala -> Kudremukh -> Kalasa -> Horanadu -> Sringeri ->Agumbe -> Hebri ->Kundapur

Hope this helps

These places are the best in Karnataka IMO. Horanadu is one among them.

Rao,
Nice travelogue and pics . Information on accommodation is very use full. How far is Dharmasthala form there (Mangalore) ?

Quote:

Originally Posted by potlaravi (Post 1443278)
Rao,
Nice travelogue and pics . Information on accommodation is very use full. How far is Dharmasthala form there (Mangalore) ?

Dharmasthala is about 80 Kms from Mangalore. However if you are coming from Bangalore, it makes sense for you to visit Dharmasthala and Kukke Subramanya temples first and then continue towards Mangalore.