Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd August 2009, 18:22   #16
BHPian

Great Pictures! Looking forward to further reports.
I went till Nirmand last week with family. Will plan Trek to this holy place some day.
Old 22nd August 2009, 23:38   #17
Senior - BHPian

Mods should do something about such teasers here. Lolz. Anyone teasing for more than 12 hours should be made to then post all in one go or face penal action.

Dhabhar Sir, I read the thread but could not recollect this route detail. Ill go through it once more. Thanks.
Old 23rd August 2009, 11:27   #18
Senior - BHPian

Slice: A threat was issued to Deky when he started his Mount Kailash travelogue and was faltering. After that "gentle bhai" language, he completed his log as if doing a F1.

DO YOU NEED ONE?
Old 23rd August 2009, 12:47   #19
Senior - BHPian

gd Sir, Go for it. It really works telling you!!!
Old 23rd August 2009, 15:33   #20
BHPian

haha no i cant do with a threat right now! Guys, sorry for the delay.. its been a crazy week!

i figure this is the only time i am going to get during this coming week, so i should complete what ive started now.

Continuing with Day1

OK, after figuring out where to park the car in Joan village, we start unloading whatever little trekking gear we have.

i notice this typical pahadi looking well dressed bloke just pop out from nowhere!! (he climbed on from the road below)

starts talking..

Him: Sir, Guide chaiye?
Me: Haan, aapka naam kya hai?

Him: Bhagat. Sir, aap Shrikhand jayenge?
Me: haan Bhagat, Shrikhand

Bhagat:(now Staring in somewhat disbelief) Upar?
Me: haan, upar

we work out a deal with him, he tells us the first resting place, which has tents to stay in is 6 kms. we tell him, we have our own tent.

"But Sir! ab Andhera ho jayega"

we start to make haste, considering its 3pm already.
Attached Thumbnails
Jai Shrikhand!-dsc_0319.jpg  

Old 23rd August 2009, 16:56   #21
BHPian

After 12 hours of being in a car, and no proper rest, we are on our way,somehow still energetic and in high spirit.

After a few mildly steep climbs and descends, we cross the Satluj. the water is crystalline and the roar it makes is dominant yet soothing.

we hurry but with caution. a stumble and a slip now and then, but we are pacing it!

almost 3 hours later, we were at the first resting place en-route. what Bhagat refers to as "tents" is actually a makeshift plastic sheet cover, with some space to sleep and a tea stall.

Ahh Finally! Rest and refreshment.
Soon exhaustion kicks in, we pitch out tent and before we know it, all three of us our fast asleep.
Attached Thumbnails
Jai Shrikhand!-dsc_0252.jpg  

Jai Shrikhand!-dsc_0424.jpg  

Jai Shrikhand!-trek.jpg  

Old 24th August 2009, 12:36   #22
Senior - BHPian

What nullah is that? Plus the name of the spot for the first night halt? Slice you not doing enough bro. Get on with it.
Old 24th August 2009, 13:06   #23
Senior - BHPian

It actually worked. Two posts in succession.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deky View Post
gd Sir, Go for it. It really works telling you!!!
Lagta hai ab uske ghar hi jaana padega. Aise nahin maanega..

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderernomad View Post
What nullah is that? Plus the name of the spot for the first night halt? Slice you not doing enough bro. Get on with it.
Old 24th August 2009, 13:15   #24
BHPian

Day2

We were refreshed after a good night's sleep
To wake up admist nature in the middle of a forest is a beautiful feeling.

we soon realized that we were the ONLY tourist for miles around. everybody else we met on the trek were Devotees/worshipers of Lord Shiva who return every year to take up the pilgrimage.

After Maggi for breakfast,a chai and a smoke,i was ready to start hiking again.

As we started we noticed the landscape started to change the higher we went, and the trek now turned into a very steep climb. I asked Bhagat if this is how its going to be the rest of the way, Bhagat informed that the steep ascend is only for a few more kms.

oh boy! that was certainly not the case..

This trek was unlike any other treks ive taken before, this was no Piece of cake, the steep climb lasted for almost 9 kms to the next rest point known as- "Thachedu"
Along with numerous insect bites and bruises on the way.

We set base and camped in Thacedu in the night.

Due to time limitations, The next we could only reach up to "Kalli Ghatti",at a height of 3904 meters (approx 13000 feet) Kali Ghatti offers some stunning views of green grasslands and cloud/snow covered Shivalik Peaks.

So Day3 was basically climbing down all the back to Joan, which was relatively quicker, although very hard on the legs (knees to be precise).

The Locals like to treat this as a walk in the park being used to the kind of terrain,weather and atmosphere, we found it not to be as simple and relaxing, considering our comfort filled Urban lifestyle

2 and half days, almost 32kms of trekking and climbing, back in one piece. a Splendid feeling!

More pictures coming soon..

Here are some Do's and Dont's i can think of for this trek.

Do's
1) Bagipul and Joan village are not easy to find, if you plan to go, determine the exact directions and pinpoint on the map. (You can always ask me).
2) Good Trekking shoes, or any shoes with a good grip and laces are a MUST.
3) Carry your own gear,be well equipped. Some basic equipment constists of Tent, Sleeping Bags, Flashlights/Lantern, Stove, Liquid Soap,Hand Sanitizer, Good quality Rope, Medical Kit (very Important), Toilet paper, Mosqitoe repellent, Plastic bags all come in handy
4) Despite of Point4, try to be as light as possible, keep everything to be Minimal.
5) Maintain your own speed as different people have different paces while trekking. Do not rush and make yourself out of breath because you may have to store some energy and air to survive up there. Take your time and if possible get adequate rest while camping and at the same time enjoy the enchanting beauty of the landscape.
6) A Walking stick really helps especially when the surface becomes wet and slippery.
7) If you plan on taking the services of a Guide, Be very clear on the price arrangement, Bhagat (Our guide) charged us for many other things which were not mentioned initially at all.
8) Be Prepared for the Rain. Carry extra Plastic bags for Cameras and cell phones.

DONT's
1) Of Course, Fitness is a major factor when considering trekking. If You suffer from breathing problems, asthma, or similar health issues, Avoid it.Consult with your physician regarding physical exertion.
2) Don't Carry Alcohol. Remember, Shrikhand Mahadevan Yatra is more of a Holy pilgrimage, and you may land up in trouble with the devotees if caught with it.
3) Don't expect any facilities all the way, once you start,besides some resting points and tea stops en-route, its only you and the wilderness.
Old 24th August 2009, 13:19   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418 View Post
Lagta hai ab uske ghar hi jaana padega. Aise nahin maanega..

lets hope, your bhaigiri works.

@slice,
man, if you are posting with working speed of government officers, we will loose the interest in this thread.
btw, are you government officer ? just curious, nothing special, you know.

edit:

ahha, just saw the new post by slice.
@gdbhai, your trick really works. keep it up.

Last edited by ASHISHPALLOD : 24th August 2009 at 13:20.
Old 24th August 2009, 13:32   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASHISHPALLOD View Post
lets hope, your bhaigiri works.

@slice,
man, if you are posting with working speed of government officers, we will loose the interest in this thread.
btw, are you government officer ? just curious, nothing special, you know.

edit:

ahha, just saw the new post by slice.
@gdbhai, your trick really works. keep it up.
Me? Govt officer? ha I WISH, i dont mind the "Perks" and the Slacking off facility at all! lol, just kidding

Guys, id the text ready by last night, forgot to post, will be posting more pictures later today!
Old 25th August 2009, 00:04   #27
BHPian

More pictures from on the way
Attached Thumbnails
Jai Shrikhand!-3765243463_7a6eba161e_b.jpg  

Jai Shrikhand!-3749879353_f215118d55_b.jpg  

Jai Shrikhand!-3749361436_8179fc7fd2_b.jpg  

Old 25th August 2009, 13:56   #28
BHPian

Very good pictures!

That must be some other nullah/rivulet, but not Sultlej!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sli_ce View Post
After a few mildly steep climbs and descends, we cross the Satluj. the water is crystalline and the roar it makes is dominant yet soothing.
Old 25th August 2009, 15:30   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by breezydrive View Post
Very good pictures!

That must be some other nullah/rivulet, but not Sultlej!
Very true as satluj is anything but soothing in that region plus the only crystals to be found in its water are all made of large dollops of mud. The picture is probable of one of the many nullahs that flow into satluj.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks