Team-BHP > Travelogues

Search this Thread
Old 7th September 2009, 16:40   #46
Senior - BHPian

wow awesome pictures and that panoramic one is superb, keep them coming.
Old 7th September 2009, 17:11   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
The paths linking the tarmac in the foreground of the picture are the short cuts to try and enjoy. Dream on...

Sudevji, Can SUV's take the short cut or do you need 4x4?
Old 7th September 2009, 17:25   #48
BHPian

I say this on every Travelogue about Leh, and will say this again - Heaven.

Awesome pics, especially the Day 5 ones. Pic 31 onwards. Presume there are more twists to the tale?
Old 7th September 2009, 19:22   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
During my travel, I saw Sumo's & Qualis's (non 4x4 vehicles) taking those shortcuts.
Old 7th September 2009, 19:33   #50
Senior - BHPian

LOG

did you also face the HP cops problem and if not did ypu notice it ?
Old 7th September 2009, 19:38   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by simply_sunny001 View Post
LOG

did you also face the HP cops problem and if not did ypu notice it ?
Nope no problems like that one for us. We hadn't gone to Kullu or Manal, but to Naggar. Didn't even had to pay the Rs. 300 tax.
Old 7th September 2009, 19:45   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordofgondor View Post
Nope no problems like that one for us. We hadn't gone to Kullu or Manal, but to Naggar. Didn't even had to pay the Rs. 300 tax.
is this the route you took? and u bypassed manali also?
The mother of all trips: Exploration Ladakh, destination Leh-bypass-kullu.jpg
Old 8th September 2009, 11:06   #53
Senior - BHPian

Great travlogue !!The last set of photos was breathtaking. What camera ?

Also the Indica seems to be doing fine on this trip. Did it encounter any problems or underbody damage ?

Waiting for the rest of the travelogue.
Old 8th September 2009, 11:15   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkbharat View Post
is this the route you took? and u bypassed manali also?
Yup that's the one. The road runs parallel to the one going to Manali, but on the other side of the river. And yeah, the added advantage is that we got to bypass Manali on our way to Rohtang, thereby avoiding the rush.

There's a fork before Kullu that takes one on to the road to Naggar.

Last edited by lordofgondor : 8th September 2009 at 11:24.
Old 8th September 2009, 11:38   #55
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordofgondor View Post
During my travel, I saw Sumo's & Qualis's (non 4x4 vehicles) taking those shortcuts.
Downhill many of the Leh-Manali Taxi's do that, especially the one down Lachunglung La towards Naki La. Uphill only4x4 with crazy drivers do it.....
Old 8th September 2009, 13:14   #56
Senior - BHPian

The only 4x4 in our group of 4 scorpios that was being driven by a not so crazy driver too did this and also bypassed 2 or 3 of the Gata loops by driving uphill through a shortcut that almost looked alike a 35 degree incline.

Quote:
Downhill many of the Leh-Manali Taxi's do that, especially the one down Lachunglung La towards Naki La. Uphill only4x4 with crazy drivers do it.....
Old 8th September 2009, 14:14   #57
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
The paths linking the tarmac in the foreground of the picture are the short cuts to try and enjoy. Dream on...
We did the same few years ago because this road was getting ready (you can see that in the picture). We didn't have much drama while going up or coming down. Because we were driving a Gypsy.

The mother of all trips: Exploration Ladakh, destination Leh-bikers1.jpg
Old 8th September 2009, 15:52   #58
abk
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harishnayak View Post
Nice write up and nicer pictures , Keep em coming.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prince_pervez View Post
The second set of pictures is even better. Nice write up as well. Thanks for sharing and waiting for more.
Quote:
Originally Posted by muralisk View Post
Stunning pics and great write up. Awesome stuff and am eager to see it all. Will track this one to its finish. Keep it rolling.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vijaythacker View Post
wow awesome pictures and that panoramic one is superb, keep them coming.
Quote:
Awesome is the word man. BTW can I borrow the panoramic landscape picture?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joy View Post
Brilliant pictures. Eagerly waiting for the next episode to unfold.
@abk please update soon.
Thanks folks! I have been tied up with things at work. Will get back to updating the travelogue with the next details, hofully tomorrow.
Dear MileCruncher: Please feel free to use the pics. If you want I can send you the original resolution pics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indizen08 View Post
Interesting narrative.
The contact details and rates at the cottage in Manali. Keylong hotel and Sarchu tents?
Dear Indizen08, the cottage at Manali is for private use as advised by its owner :( We haven't got a B-card from the Sarchu tent owner/caretaker. It is the 2nd or 3rd camp area as one enters Sarchu. It cost us Rs. 4,000/- for two tents and two meals + driver's accommodation in the dormitory tent. Though later at night we were told we can use the 3rd tent without any cost but we didn't.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vkochar View Post
Great travlogue !!The last set of photos was breathtaking. What camera ?
Also the Indica seems to be doing fine on this trip. Did it encounter any problems or underbody damage ?
Waiting for the rest of the travelogue.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkbharat View Post
amazing pics, Vista took the challenge very nicely, looks so
Thanks vkochar & rkbharat! The photos you would have seen here are collected from 4 cameras: Canon PowerShot SX100, PowerShot A590, PowerShot A570 & Sony CyberShot (not sure of the model - but point & shoot compact).
Yes, the Vista indeed took the roads without much of a grump. There were a few places where the underbody scraped the ground rocks but none too serious. The only serious instance was while I was driving in the stretch between Khoksar & Tandi where new roads were laid and to prevent vehicles using these new roads (not set solid yet) they placed stones along the edges. One stone got under the body and made severe & serious noises. Pasha's BP must have shot given that it is his almost brand new car & that he does not yet know how to drive it I realised Vista's ground clearance with 4 people in it & completely laden isn't any better than my OHC's.
Quote:
2nd request - Please post pictures of the man and the machine at the travellers Mecca.
Thanks harishnayak! Unfortunately, there aren't too many pics of the vehicles par se. Will scan through the collection & post them appropriately whenever I can. Am pasting a link of youtube video. See if its worth its salt.
Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman7 View Post
I say this on every Travelogue about Leh, and will say this again - Heaven.
Awesome pics, especially the Day 5 ones. Pic 31 onwards. Presume there are more twists to the tale?
Thanks iceman7! You bet? Let me come out with the episodes of the later days..
Quote:
And to tell you i had planned to get Leh'ed with ABK but somehow my plan didn't materialise due to non-availability of leaves for wifey :( .
I guess the only next opportunity is next year after april
Quote:
Originally Posted by advaitlele View Post
Just Amazing.
I have been keenly following all the thread about Leh, and firmed up to do that sometime in next 6 months. Home Ministry approval awaited. Hope to get it soon.
Don't delay the trip, mates! At the rate the roads are being improved in a few years' time any Tom, Dick or Harry would be driving to Ladakh! Having said so, improved roads are always welcome. BRO is doing a fantastic job.
Quote:
My view (though the query was directed to Sudev): A large no. of these shortcuts could be done by Vista let alone a SUV, 4x4 or otherwise. The key is to spot them from mountain top & gauge the road condition aerially before embarking on any of these keeping in mind reversing after been someway through may not be feasible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudra Sen View Post
We did the same few years ago because this road was getting ready (you can see that in the picture). We didn't have much drama while going up or coming down. Because we were driving a Gypsy.
That's an amazing shot of the V, Rudra Sen!

Here's the linke to a video (please bear with the quality of subject of focus) covering one of these so called "Shortcuts" while descending from K-top. We called it Offroading but I understand it is gross over exaggeration of our amateurish manouvre of an ordinary MUV on rocky & dusty road. Nevermind, it was my first attempt in Ladakh to ply on a road when a much better alternative existed.
Old 8th September 2009, 17:59   #59
BHPian

abk, what camera are you using? Those photographs are fabulous.

The Vista seems to have fared well on the journey. That picture of the Vista crossing that nullah looks cool.
Old 9th September 2009, 13:26   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abk View Post
Thanks folks! I have been tied up with things at work. Will get back to updating the travelogue with the next details, hofully tomorrow.
Dear MileCruncher: Please feel free to use the pics. If you want I can send you the original resolution pics

Dear Indizen08, the cottage at Manali is for private use as advised by its owner :( We haven't got a B-card from the Sarchu tent owner/caretaker. It is the 2nd or 3rd camp area as one enters Sarchu. It cost us Rs. 4,000/- for two tents and two meals + driver's accommodation in the dormitory tent. Though later at night we were told we can use the 3rd tent without any cost but we didn't.

Thanks vkochar & rkbharat! The photos you would have seen here are collected from 4 cameras: Canon PowerShot SX100, PowerShot A590, PowerShot A570 & Sony CyberShot (not sure of the model - but point & shoot compact).
Yes, the Vista indeed took the roads without much of a grump. There were a few places where the underbody scraped the ground rocks but none too serious. The only serious instance was while I was driving in the stretch between Khoksar & Tandi where new roads were laid and to prevent vehicles using these new roads (not set solid yet) they placed stones along the edges. One stone got under the body and made severe & serious noises. Pasha's BP must have shot given that it is his almost brand new car & that he does not yet know how to drive it I realised Vista's ground clearance with 4 people in it & completely laden isn't any better than my OHC's.

Thanks harishnayak! Unfortunately, there aren't too many pics of the vehicles par se. Will scan through the collection & post them appropriately whenever I can. Am pasting a link of Youtube video. See if its worth its salt.

Thanks iceman7! You bet? Let me come out with the episodes of the later days..

Don't delay the trip, mates! At the rate the roads are being improved in a few years' time any Tom, Dick or Harry would be driving to Ladakh! Having said so, improved roads are always welcome. BRO is doing a fantastic job.

My view (though the query was directed to Sudev): A large no. of these shortcuts could be done by Vista let alone a SUV, 4x4 or otherwise. The key is to spot them from mountain top & gauge the road condition aerially before embarking on any of these keeping in mind reversing after been someway through may not be feasible

That's an amazing shot of the V, Rudra Sen!

Here's the linke to a video (please bear with the quality of subject of focus) covering one of these so called "Shortcuts" while descending from K-top. We called it Offroading but I understand it is gross over exaggeration of our amateurish manouvre of an ordinary MUV on rocky & dusty road. Nevermind, it was my first attempt in Ladakh to ply on a road when a much better alternative existed.
YouTube - Ladakh Offroading-1
Offroading - part two where one guy sitting on the co-driver window and guessing whether to turn left or right is awesome. It sure does look like a amateur video

Most Viewed