Team-BHP > Travelogues

Search this Thread
Old 15th September 2009, 21:17   #46
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjothi View Post
Sir, I could not get Lalu / HVK. This was through SMS. From SMS I am sure, HV, Saji, Lalu &Glen reached there. Not sure of others. But assume they should be.
from what i remember HVK told me that only 2 cars were goin to Padam, Zanskar Valley. I am not very sure though.
Old 16th September 2009, 11:02   #47
BHPian

Manali-Leh route travel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSM-Vtec View Post
from what i remember HVK told me that only 2 cars were goin to Padam, Zanskar Valley. I am not very sure though.
Has anyone got update on the Manali-Leh route travel? Have vehicles (heavy) started plying the highway. I am planning to make the travel from manali to Leh on 26th Spetember.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 22nd September 2009 at 09:44.
Old 16th September 2009, 14:27   #48
Senior - BHPian

How is the team's progress since yesterday? I guess we might have to show some patience until they all come back to hear about the details!
Old 17th September 2009, 16:30   #49
BHPian

update from leh

hey this is mandar writing from leh.
here's an update since kargil. all 4 scorpios reached kargil late on 14th night. anirudha basu was due to join us in leh. dhananjay travelling with me had a bit of trouble with high altitude, coupled with fatigue having to keep up with kumar for a better part of two days. as a result of which we decided not to join kumar on his drive to padum and take a couple of days break. rajiv and snigdha also decided that kumar's schedule was getting too much for them. so finally two scorpios headed to padum- hvk's and glen's. the other two cars- mine and rajiv's headed straight to leh, where we planned to take a couple of days rest. kumar did his padum loop on time and today he left kargil as per schedule. he's expected in leh anytime now. while we've got our cars checked at the servicenter, the other two scorpios will be visiting their doc in leh and then day after we'll leave towards k-la.

here are a few fotos of the trip so far.
Attached Thumbnails
Team Raid de Ladakh goes on Ladakh Expedition 2009-img_5020.jpg  

Team Raid de Ladakh goes on Ladakh Expedition 2009-img_5196.jpg  

Team Raid de Ladakh goes on Ladakh Expedition 2009-img_5288.jpg  

Team Raid de Ladakh goes on Ladakh Expedition 2009-img_5336.jpg  

Team Raid de Ladakh goes on Ladakh Expedition 2009-img_5082.jpg  

Old 17th September 2009, 16:45   #50
Senior - BHPian

thats great news guys...keep up the good work. BUT try to keep us posted as frequently as possible .

nice pics!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiserketkar View Post
hey this is mandar writing from leh.
here's an update since kargil. all 4 scorpios reached kargil late on 14th night. anirudha basu was due to join us in leh. dhananjay travelling with me had a bit of trouble with high altitude, coupled with fatigue having to keep up with kumar for a better part of two days. as a result of which we decided not to join kumar on his drive to padum and take a couple of days break. rajiv and snigdha also decided that kumar's schedule was getting too much for them. so finally two scorpios headed to padum- hvk's and glen's. the other two cars- mine and rajiv's headed straight to leh, where we planned to take a couple of days rest. kumar did his padum loop on time and today he left kargil as per schedule. he's expected in leh anytime now. while we've got our cars checked at the servicenter, the other two scorpios will be visiting their doc in leh and then day after we'll leave towards k-la.

here are a few fotos of the trip so far.
Old 17th September 2009, 16:59   #51
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for the update.

Question for Rajiv: How are the Hellas behaving? Did you get a chance to use them on the way? Still feel they have no spread?

Cheers
Old 17th September 2009, 18:08   #52
Senior - BHPian

Just got a msg from HVK...he says "Amazing glaciers terrible roads in Zanskar"
Old 17th September 2009, 19:06   #53
BHPian

Spoke to HVK. He and Glen have reached Leh. The vehicles are being checked by the doc.
Old 18th September 2009, 09:24   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSM-Vtec View Post
Just got a msg from HVK...he says "Amazing glaciers terrible roads in Zanskar"
typical hvk message , probably sent while on the move , short , informative and to the point
Old 18th September 2009, 09:54   #55
Senior - BHPian

I am sure that is the case.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellstar View Post
typical hvk message , probably sent while on the move , short , informative and to the point
Old 18th September 2009, 10:05   #56
Distinguished - BHPian

Nice to see the first set of pictures. Great going folks. Where is Anirudh Basu in his Bolero? Is he not travelling with rest of the pack?
Old 18th September 2009, 12:07   #57
BHPian

We are all here at Leh. Rest and Vechile check up day today.
Have obtained the permits for all for the rest of the trip.
Padum reminded me of Lord of the Rings terrain, truely virgin land. But the journey was too tough, 250 (*2) kms of bad roads!
It was worth though, we saw four glaciers and snow fall on the way.
I have clicked almost 1000 pics already. Watch out this space for pics updates, once we are back.
Old 18th September 2009, 12:09   #58
Team-BHP Support

Wow, so you guys did Zanskar! Great. Agree, roads are horrendous, truly truly horrendous. It takes over 10 hours to do those 240
Old 18th September 2009, 13:26   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Where is Anirudh Basu in his Bolero? Is he not travelling with rest of the pack?
I branched off from the pack to stay in Udhampur and then spent 2 nights in Srinagar. Rejoined the pack on the way from Kargil to Leh yesterday. The group now has two more Vehicles, Rajvinder from delhi in his Pajero and Vishal from Chandigarh in his M-Hawk. The convoy is now complete

Thanks guys for the wishes.
Few pointers from my side:
  1. Magnetic Hill does work inspite of my reservations. Only thing is the box is made at the wrong place.
  2. Pathar Sahib Gurudwara is a must visit.
  3. BRO is making the Zojila - Kargil - Leh highway which is going to be completed by 2011. After that one can get Leh'd in a sedan as well. Touched 140 kmph on one of those sections while entering Leh.
  4. Srinagar looks like a warzone and I was not very impressed.
  5. Had Tea with Army Chaps at Zojila and held their INSAS Rifle.
  6. Overwhelming experience at the Drass War Memorial and the museum.
We are heading to Nubra tomorrow and heard that its snowing in K-Top everyday.

Last edited by MileCruncher : 18th September 2009 at 13:34.
Old 18th September 2009, 14:03   #60
BHPian

Update from Mandar from the Scorpio group site:
__________________________________________________ ______
Hey everyone,

Dj was fine the next day, thanks to the oxygen i had carried, the good sense we had not to follow hvk on his drive to padum and the resultant rest we had after having driven like a maniac for 4 days.

Update- kumar's scorp, glen's scorp and rajvinders pajero joined us last evening. kumar had a broken leaf from the drive to padum, which he got repaired yesterday. Today will be spent in leh- car repairs, shopping, sightseeing, etc and tomorrow at daybreak we leave for pangong tso.

Can s'one also update the t-bhp thread? I can't seem to login there.
mandar
__________________________________________________ ______

Godspeed you guys. Have a good trip ahead. Also at Pangong, if you decide to stay at Spangmik, ask for this lady called Padma. Her homestay is really comfortable. It's a white house right at the top of the village (turn right on the first rocky road as you enter the village).

Cheers,

Most Viewed