c10
BHPian

Trip to Tekkadi, Munnar and Kodai, 1340Kms in 48Hrs

Hi all...this is my second writeup....

Vehicle: TATA Indicab 2005,
Date of Trip: 2nd & 3rd July,
Total Kms Covered: 1340.
Total Hours: 48Hrs(Approx,Not Exceeded)
Travellers: Stanly Joshua (Joe), Gabriel, Tilak, Chandra and Chetan(c10)

i finished my shift by 1:30am on 2nd July, and as planned my friend had arranged for my pick up at MG Road, reached there by 2:00am, it was drizzling and was too cold...but the car freaks zooming and showing their cars performance on MG road kept me warm inside...the cab arrived at 3:00am and we went to pick my other friends at Hoskote and KR Puram...the last pickup was at Bannerghatta road and by the time we started our journey, it was 5 in the morning...We were headding to Kodaikanal...We fueled at Krishnagiri HP bunk at around 5:30 in the morning and we were doing around 140Kms for sometime...then i took over and i was doing constant at 110kms...

Reached Salem at around 10 or so...stopped for breakfast and started to Kodai via Palani...I must say, the roads are good and there is no traffic or zero traffic on the Ghat via Palani...hairpin bends or curves are superb i must say...As it was day journey, we din't click more than 80Kms as we got a lil concerned about the engine getting heated up (Indicab) if we had to push it hard...In between my friends took over and on the Ghats i took over again...

I guess if we had pushed hard all over the journey, we could have reached Kodai in just 8Hours...We got a neat glimpz of the nature and the serneric views are still on my mind...reached Kodai at 1:30pm or so...Went around site-seeing...then to my aunts place where we had actually planned to stay overnite and leave early morning by 3:00am to Tekkadi...Plans changed and we started off to Tekkadi and Munnar same night at 9:00pm or so after having dinner at Kodai...started off same night as we dint want to wakeup early and drive again...so instead we thought of driving the whole night slowly to Tekkadi and Munnar thru the ghats...My friend drove down the hills and i tool over at 10:30pm to drive till Munnar...i was getting a lil more than psyched driving all way till Tekkadi doing 60Kms all the way just to kill time...by now all were fast asleep and by 11:30pm or so the ghats befoe Tekkadi started, and i was having a gala time driving on the ghats...Stopped over at Tekkadi for chai and started to Munnar...

The Ghat roads from Tekkadi to Munnar is around 116Kms if im not wrong...All my friend were fast asleep and my drive thru the Ghats is a memorable one i can say...The Ghat roads are also good, and many a times i was on the top gear, yes i meant 5th gear...could be while going down hill...At 3:00am or so the mist and fog was getting worst and i could'nt see anything even beyond 5ft the car...The nature around, made me feel and say "GOD'S OWN COUNTRY..."As the fog and mist started getting even worse, my friends asked me to pull over for sometime and we tried to catch nap for sometime till 5:00am and i had to start to reach Munnar early...It was a lil better and the drive was mind blowing...It was around 6:00am as we could see the tea estates dressed majestically in green...o my what a site it was to see for us who live in the this concrete jungle..!!Clicked few snaps here and there at the estates...and the waterfalls are breathtaking...Check the snaps...reached Munnar by 8 or so...

Went around town looking for a place to freshen up ourselves, had breakfast at some hotel...then went site-seeing around Munnar...can't remember their exact names, but we visited the dam, Speed Boat Boating, Peddle Boat Boating, Echo Point, some Animal Santuary on the Hill, 4 Water falls, i suppose 2 of them are on the way to Munnar itself...All these were breath taking, and of all, it was worth driving all night through the Ghats...

Started towadrs Bangalore at 3:30pm or so, my friend drove down hill, had lunch at some Chandrika Hotel on the way towards Salem at around 4:30pm,...I took over when it was 70 before Coimbatore, By 7:00pm were in Coimbatore...My friends saw the Go-Karting place on the highway and asked to pullover...three of us went karting and had dinner in some dhaba and started our journey again by 9:30 or so... Reached Bangalore by 2:00am...had to drop my friends at KR Puram and i reached home at 4:00 in the morning...

The Freaks: I forgot to mention about the Jeep Drivers(Taxi) we came accross in Munnar "the freaks", O my, they drive like maniacs!!!

That was all about our 1340Kms trip to KODAI, TEKKADI and MUNNAR...
Next on list is a short way, Coorg, will make it soon...

PS: Thanks for your patience for reading my experience....
Regards,
c10
c10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2005, 20:31   #2
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by c10
The Ghat roads from Tekkadi to Munnar is around 116Kms if im not wrong...All my friend were fast asleep and my drive thru the Ghats is a memorable one i can say...

116kms of ghat roads .wow !!!! that must be fun.seems like u had a great time.

how about some pics.
Old 13th July 2005, 20:47   #3
Senior - BHPian

Other than that 2 hrs from 3.00 am to 5.00 am, have you not slept and kept traveling 1340 kms?

Waiting for the tea estate snaps to be posted
Old 13th July 2005, 21:34   #4
c10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surprise
Other than that 2 hrs from 3.00 am to 5.00 am, have you not slept and kept traveling 1340 kms?
We kept driving all way thru...but i must admit, i did catch up sleep a lil on the drive during the day, when we left from Bangalore...and a lil while comming down hill Munnar...
Old 13th July 2005, 22:11   #5
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by c10
Vehicle: TATA Indicab 2005,
Why didn't you you take your Conti?
Old 13th July 2005, 22:23   #6
c10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudra Sen
Why didn't you you take your Conti?
We were more in number when planned and were to go in a Sumo Victa....plans changed at the 11th hour and we chose the Indicab....

Regards,
c10.
Old 13th July 2005, 23:11   #7
Senior - BHPian

Was this a hire car? I thought it comes with a driver and they dont let you drive it.

How much did the rental cost?
Old 13th July 2005, 23:24   #8
Team-BHP Support

Nice one Chetan! Kodai, Munnar, Thekkady... those names bring back memories from a very long time ago. Your report makes me feel like visiting those places again.
Old 14th July 2005, 09:34   #9
BHPian

Hi nice report there.I hope you didnt drive through the thekkady munnar road by night.It is one of the most scenic roads in india.
Old 14th July 2005, 20:09   #10
c10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower
Was this a hire car? I thought it comes with a driver and they dont let you drive it.

How much did the rental cost?

Well, it a taxi and it was my friends....so he too wanted to go on a long drive...we just fueled the cab and that's it...

Quote:
Nice one Chetan! Kodai, Munnar, Thekkady... those names bring back memories from a very long time ago. Your report makes me feel like visiting those places again.
Yes it's really worth going time and again....and im planning for Munnar sometine soon again...

Quote:
......I hope you didnt drive through the thekkady munnar road by night.It is one of the most scenic roads in india.
Well i did drive through the Ghat during night...and im planning to go to Munnar again just to drive during the day...I second you, its the most seneric road i've ever driven...
Old 14th July 2005, 22:14   #11
Senior - BHPian

Looks like u had a really great time with all that driving and the scenary. Make sure u get some pix when u go there during the day...
Old 19th July 2005, 21:57   #12
c10
BHPian

Pics Finally: Tekkadi, Munnar and Kodai.

Munnar Ghat:

Kodai Down Hill Fog:

Waterfalls at Munnar:

Tea Estate:

Scenery:

Regards,
Chetan (c10).

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 20th July 2005 at 07:17.
Old 21st July 2005, 21:30   #13
c10
BHPian

Indicab Burnt....

Hi all,
feeling sorry to say that the Indiacab in which my friends and i went to Kodai, Tekkadi and Munnar, accidently was burnt last night at 10:45 P.M. on Bannerghatta Road...due to a short circuit...

My friend was in the cab sleeping and he escaped miraculously...

:( c10
Old 21st July 2005, 21:37   #14
Team-BHP Support

Wonderful pictures, Chetan. Could you provide the names of fellows in picture #6?
Sad to hear about the car, but good to know that your friend escaped.
Old 21st July 2005, 21:43   #15
c10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya
Wonderful pictures, Chetan. Could you provide the names of fellows in picture #6?
Sad to hear about the car, but good to know that your friend escaped.
Hi Adithya,

The guy in the white shirt is Chandru, Stanly in the middle and in Blue T-shirt is me....

Cab belongs to Chandru who escaped unhurt.

Regards,
c10.

Most Viewed