Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th September 2009, 10:59   #1
BHPian

A day trip to Kuntala Waterfalls

Since few weeks we were longing to go to some nature destination as I see lot of rain across Andhra Pradesh. At last, we decided to go to Kuntala Waterfalls which is around 240 KM from Hyderabad. I read about this in few forums and looks interesting. Myself and few friends decided to go to this place and do entire trip in one day. We prepared for this trip by understanding road conditions, directions, accessibility, restaurants available enroute to Kuntala etc.,

We planned to meet just outskirts of Hyderabad at Dhola-ri-dhani at 7 AM on 12th September 2009. As families with Kids are also joining, we can expect obvious delays. Finally, everyone could make to that place by 7:45 AM. We started cruising towards Kamareddi for breakfast which would be our first pitstop. Paid Rs. 115 return toll. Believe me its excellent 4 lane road of 130 KM from Hyderabad to Kamareddi. We covered 85 KM in less than an hour on that road. Took the diversion into Kamareddi town and stopped at Udipi Restaurant. Had excellent breakfast and proceeded. From Kamareddi to Armur its two lane road of 70 KM which is OK. Since we were beating the traffic, we could make it around 80 minutes.

Then the actual excitement starts. There is another 30+ KM stretch of 4 lane road started. My friend Rajiv has Getz. We were going in 110-120 KMPH. Suddenly he started cruising beyond 130 KMPH. We followed him and he has gone mad and touched 150 KMPH. To catch him we also touched 150 KMPH on my old honda city. For few moments I was in shock that I could drive my car beyond 150 KMPH. Thats first time in my 5 years of driving experience. Later, he calm down and we finally reached Nirmal town by 11:15 AM which is around 210 KM from Hyderabad. Took some lunch parcels at Krishna Residency in Nirmal and proceeded further. Immediately after Nirmal there is a stretch of 10 KM of ghat section which is very nice through dense forest. The drive was really enjoyable.

After travelling around 30 KM we reached a village called Neredikonda. Just after this village, we need to take right into small road. We need to careful as there is no sign board that directs to water falls. Its very small road. After travelling around 10 KM through lush green fields, dense forest finally we reached water falls around 01:00 PM. The trip shows 275 from my home to waterfalls.

The place is a hidden heaven on the earth. Completely covered with dense forest, valleys, birds chipchipping. The story has not over yet. We walked around half a kilometer to reach a place where it shows 408 steps down to waterfalls. After 10 minutes of effort we finally can see the scenic beauty of waterfalls. I feel its very difficult to put them in words the beauty of the place. We further trekked another half a km though big rocks to reach the foot steps of the waterfalls. You cannot just stop to say WOW! The water is gushing through rocks from height of 200 feet in to mulitple streams. I have seen waterfalls like abey, jog falls, etipotala etc., but this one is very accessible.

We straight away jumped into falls and enjoyed there for more than a hour. climbed further to reach to top of falls. But half way we realilzed its too steep and very risky to do so. We settled at around 100 feet height and enjoyed the view from there. Its hot and humid out there but the experience overuling them. Finally our excitement settled after two hours of enjoyment in water. Had good lunch and took some rest as we know we have climb around 410 steps up to reach where we parked our cars.

We started climbing these steps at around 4:30 PM. Its very tiresome especially after getting exhausted playing in water and having heavy lunch. Somehow we managed to finish those steps. We realized the true value of cold water we purchased from the stall then. Amazingly, kids were so energetic to climb these steps.

Finally, we started returning to Hyderabad at around 5:15 PM from waterfalls. After too many natural speed breakers (cows, goats etc., running on small village roads) brought atleast 30 mts delay in our trip. We finally reached Nirmal around 6:30 PM. We stopped at Krishna Residency to have some tea so that our energies can be brought back. The moment we reached the place, we experienced heavy down pour atleast for 30 mts. Somehow we managed to get some tea in that wet weather and started from Nirmal at around 7:15 PM. We know that we are running late. But we are helpless as the rain did not show any mercy till 8 PM. We then faced night traffic of heavy trucks. After 2 hours of careful driving we finally hit the 4 lane at kamareddi. From then its smooth drive. At last, we reached home at around 11 PM in the night.

Its truly amazing trip ever had in a day. Its little tiring but worthy.

I strongly recommend to visit this place especially between September to Novemeber (provided there is enough rain during that monsoon).

Here is the summary of trip info:

Cars:

Hyndai Getz
Ford Ikon
Honda City 2003

Route:

Hyderabad - Kamareddi - Nirmal - Neredikonda - Kuntala Waterfalls

Distance:

240 KM from Hyderabad

Road Condition:

Excellent 4 Lane road of 170 KM. Rest of the road is decent NH 7 (Beware of some of patholes cause of recent monsoons).

Breakfast and Lunch Options:

Udipi Restaurants at Kamareddi, Nirmal
Attached Thumbnails
A day trip to Kuntala Waterfalls-dsc00569.jpg  

A day trip to Kuntala Waterfalls-dsc00567.jpg  

A day trip to Kuntala Waterfalls-dscf1283.jpg  

A day trip to Kuntala Waterfalls-dsc00570.jpg  

A day trip to Kuntala Waterfalls-dscf1284.jpg  

A day trip to Kuntala Waterfalls-dscf1288.jpg  

A day trip to Kuntala Waterfalls-dsc00568.jpg  

A day trip to Kuntala Waterfalls-dscf12521.jpg  

A day trip to Kuntala Waterfalls-dscf1315.jpg  

Attached Images

tmnraghu78 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th September 2009, 16:15   #2
Senior - BHPian

Hi Raghu,
Nice pictures there. Seems you guys enjoyed a lot. Put up more pictures and if possible do put a little route map. It will be easier for us to locate the turn if it's visible in the map.
Place looks very good.
May be a next teamBHP outing meet venue
Fordmanchau is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th September 2009, 17:38   #3
BHPian

hi , nice place there , some ifo i found on net.
Attached Thumbnails
A day trip to Kuntala Waterfalls-nirmal_adilabad_tourist_roadmap.jpg  

rm_arjuna is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th September 2009, 17:50   #4
Senior - BHPian

Hi Arjun,
Nice map there. Very useful information. So we have quite a lot of place around where one can go.
Old 16th September 2009, 15:28   #5
BHPian

Dear All,

for more information you can go to Nirmal Paintings,Nirmal Toys,Nirmal, Nirmal Art,Nirmal handicrafts,Nirmal and Ailabad Tourism, Andhrapradesh Handicrafts, Nirmal History,Basar saraswati, kuntala waterfalls, Adilabad and Nirmal Tourism,Andhra Pradesh, India Tourism . Amongst all places listed we found Kuntala Waterfalls would be the best one. If we can plan for two day trip, we can cover Pochera Waterfalls, Kadam Reservoir & Sri Ram Sagar project.

Thanks,
Raghu Lakshman
Old 17th September 2009, 16:17   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Good Trip there Raghu. We will be planning a day tbhp drive meet to this place. Are their any good restuarants there to chill out for lunch after the trekking expedition?
Old 17th September 2009, 20:08   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Good Trip there Raghu. We will be planning a day tbhp drive meet to this place. Are their any good restuarants there to chill out for lunch after the trekking expedition?
Hi Mobike008,

As this is very remote area in dense forest, you don't really have any restaurants nearby. You can pack the food and keep it in your cars and enjoy the food once you are back from trekking expedition.

However, you can get chips, soft drinks and few short eats are available immediately after you climb all those 410 steps.

Please let me know if you need any further information. Enjoy the trip.

Thanks,
Raghu Lakshman
Old 17th September 2009, 20:16   #8
Senior - BHPian

Never heard of this place with waterfall.Good write up and photos greenary looks good.About 5 hrs drive from Hyderabad.Thanks for the post.
Old 3rd September 2010, 17:47   #9
BHPian

we are planning a trip to Kuntala Falls tomorrow...lets see how it goes...may file a travelogue if the trip is good...
Old 6th September 2010, 08:30   #10
BHPian

Always had a special corner for waterfalls.
Good pics there ...
Old 9th September 2010, 20:06   #11
BHPian

Planning a day trip to Kuntala tomorrow with family. However, I just heard that its all flooded in that region. Can someone confirm? Also, how are the road conditions?

Rajeev: How was your trip?

Cheers,
Old 9th September 2010, 23:04   #12
BHPian

Ardy,

As correctly mentioned by Raghu, till Kamareddy the road is excellent. From Kamareddy the road is under construction so need to be a bit careful. Enroute you can see Sri Ram Sagar Project also. Now a days the gates are open because of the floods.

Have a nice trip.
Old 10th September 2010, 10:47   #13
BHPian

Hi Ardy,

replied to all your queries on mail..however for the benefit of other mates...here are some self explaining pics
Attached Thumbnails
A day trip to Kuntala Waterfalls-img_0508.jpg  

A day trip to Kuntala Waterfalls-img_0545.jpg  

A day trip to Kuntala Waterfalls-img_0591.jpg  

A day trip to Kuntala Waterfalls-img_4046.jpg  

A day trip to Kuntala Waterfalls-img_4080.jpg  

A day trip to Kuntala Waterfalls-img_4094.jpg  

A day trip to Kuntala Waterfalls-img_4125.jpg  

A day trip to Kuntala Waterfalls-img_4137.jpg  

rajismine is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th January 2011, 10:52   #14
BANNED

Re: A day trip to Kuntala Waterfalls

when is the best period to travel there?
Old 8th January 2011, 16:52   #15
Team-BHP Support

Re: A day trip to Kuntala Waterfalls

Nice water body there! The slashing water is amazing. How good are the roads? Is it on the GQ itself?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks