Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th June 2010, 16:24   #106
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutty Nair View Post
@gadadhar - Thovalai and Muppandal combined can be done in a day quite comfortably. We were back in the evening itself. And thanks for the encouragement and rating.
Just now saw that the thread is 5* rated. A big thanks to all for patiently following and rating this thread.
You deserve the 5 stars Ranjith This thread can be the reference guide to anyone visiting Kerala..
Old 10th September 2011, 09:16   #107
BHPian

Re: Photoblog of destinations in & around Trivandrum, Kerala

Drawing Inspiration from our dearest Nutty Nair's one day trip to vagamon, decided to take my family on the same trip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutty Nair;1785359 [U
One day trip to Vagamon[/u]

The route: Trivandrum - Kottarakkara - Adoor - Pathanamthitta - Ranny - Kanjirapally - Erattupetta - Vagamon

The return route: Vagamon - Kuttikaanam - Elappara - Parunthumpara - Erumely - Ranni - Pathanamthitta - Adoor - Kottarakkara - Trivandrum

Distance travelled:
Trivandrum - Vagamon: 211 kms
Vagamon - Parunthumpara: 38 kms
Parunthumpara - Trivandrum - 216 kms

Total distance covered - 465 kms

Vehicle: Mahindra Xylo E8 ABS

Camera: Sony DSC H5

The route: Exactly Same as NuttyNair.

Distance travelled:

Total distance covered - 428 kms

Dont know how we managed to save 37kms off Nutty's route.

Think Nutty& gang made 'some detours not mentioned in the log '

Vehicle: 2001 Zen Di
Camera: Sony DSC T100

Time log:
Dt:9/9/11
Start: TVM 6:00 AM reached KANJIRAPALLY 10:00 AM 30 mins food & rest.

1. MC road was awesome, just watch out for the damn speed breakers.
2. Ranni Roads are the worst I have seen till date
3. A stretch of forest road between ranni and Kanjirappaly was really nice. Stopped near a Stream to take few snaps. Wish Had a better cam :( .
4. As you ascend the climb the roads get better and the topography changes. Stopped to absob the lovely scenes.

Photoblog of destinations in & around Trivandrum, Kerala-dsc03949.jpg

Photoblog of destinations in & around Trivandrum, Kerala-dsc03950.jpg

Photoblog of destinations in & around Trivandrum, Kerala-dsc03964.jpg

Name:  DSC03969.JPG
Views: 2568
Size:  145.2 KB

Photoblog of destinations in & around Trivandrum, Kerala-dsc03979.jpg

Photoblog of destinations in & around Trivandrum, Kerala-dsc03972.jpg

.....contd
Old 10th September 2011, 10:05   #108
BHPian

Reached vagamon at 11:30AM,

It had drizzled early in the morning leaving the entire place a rich green look. From Nutty's pics you might observe a pale look.
I guess, mother nature paints herself in different colors every season. Each has its own charm. But I prefer the Green Tinge.

The green meadows were a treat. We had an entire hillock to ourselves. This place is an awesome picnic spot. But dont think it would be great under the summer sun. Ideal time I think is early morning or evening or when it is cloudy (but not raining).

Adjacent Meadows had cows grazing.

The Pine Forest was also nice place to visit. Watch out for leeches when you trek. A tourist team wasseen rubbing dettol on their feet to ward off leeches.

Did not try and ended up paying for it. Could not find the little demon but saw the tiny wound it left behind. It bled a little for a while.

Another place of interest was the Suicide point but locals adviced against going there since it was raining intermittently and was quite foggy.

On the way from the Pine forest to the next location less than a km away there is a creek. This is again a wonderful picnic spot. Can Drive right to the creek if you have an SUV. It has a very safe spot to bathe too. Watch out for leeches .

Photoblog of destinations in & around Trivandrum, Kerala-dsc04001.jpg

Photoblog of destinations in & around Trivandrum, Kerala-dsc04002.jpg

Photoblog of destinations in & around Trivandrum, Kerala-dsc04077.jpg

Photoblog of destinations in & around Trivandrum, Kerala-dsc03987.jpg

Photoblog of destinations in & around Trivandrum, Kerala-dsc04096.jpg

Photoblog of destinations in & around Trivandrum, Kerala-dsc04094.jpg

Photoblog of destinations in & around Trivandrum, Kerala-dsc04057.jpg

Photoblog of destinations in & around Trivandrum, Kerala-dsc04059.jpg

Vagamon Hillocks and the time we spent in this creek left a lasting impression. Many homestay ad-boards were seen in vagamon.
One may even consider stay for the day there. Seeing the sun set from this place would be great.

...continued

Last edited by sureshkishore : 10th September 2011 at 10:10.
Old 10th September 2011, 10:49   #109
BHPian

Left Vagamon at 1:30 and reached our next Destination at 2:30, Parunthumpara, Peerumed.

Despite the time the place was covered with thick fog initially.
My mother wasnt impressed. Took her to the railings at the edge of the cliff. And 15 minutes later natures magic started to work.

A strong gale blew away the fog away and then it appeared. Amma was swept off her feet by the view.

This is my second visit here and my family's first. The breath taking view still amazes me.

Photographs dont do justice to the place. The drama of the fog dissapearing leaving this breathtaking view of the rainforest thousands of feet below is just amazing.

"Gods own country", it surely is.
Photoblog of destinations in & around Trivandrum, Kerala-dsc04192.jpg

Photoblog of destinations in & around Trivandrum, Kerala-dsc04153.jpg

Photoblog of destinations in & around Trivandrum, Kerala-dsc04194.jpg

Photoblog of destinations in & around Trivandrum, Kerala-dsc04124.jpg

Photoblog of destinations in & around Trivandrum, Kerala-dsc04131.jpg

Photoblog of destinations in & around Trivandrum, Kerala-dsc04135.jpg

Photoblog of destinations in & around Trivandrum, Kerala-dsc04140.jpg
Started on our return journey at 4. Decided to do it not stop. Reached Kowdiar at 9:00 and had our dinner before retuning home.

Have to thank Nuttynair for inspiring me to do this trip.

Though the Zen Diesel performed well during the entire trip. The bad roads demanded a SUV.

On the return leg, from Peerumed to Mundakayam the road is amazing, excellent surface and clearly marked. Its really a drivers treat.

Being Thiruonam the roads were deserted and even cows were seen resting on the road. So the drive was very relaxing. On an another day the route would command a bigger and powerful car.

And to others planning to travel, my advice get a good cam. Point and shoot cams are for birthday parties only.

Happy Onam!

Last edited by sureshkishore : 10th September 2011 at 10:51.
Old 11th September 2011, 23:18   #110
BHPian

@sureshkishore - beautiful pictures there, buddy. When I visited Vagamon it was during summer and the place was not this green. The place has transformed itself completely in the rains. Time for another visit I think.
Old 12th September 2011, 14:33   #111
BHPian

Quote:
@sureshkishore - beautiful pictures there, buddy. When I visited Vagamon it was during summer and the place was not this green. The place has transformed itself completely in the rains. Time for another visit I think.
I would strongly reccomend it. If possible extend the visit and add some interesting places to the trip. One good travel blog I can suggest for getting ideas on places to visit is Nature Enthus - DLC

Happy exploring!
sureshkishore is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th February 2012, 02:43   #112
BHPian

Been some time since my last post here. I think it's time to update the thread with another destination.
@sureshkishore - thanks for the link. Some really interesting places there.

Munro Thuruthu: a non - touristy destination near Kollam

Location: around 90 kms from Trivandrum and around 40 kms from Kollam.

Route: Trivandrum - Attingal - Kottiyam - Kundara - Munro Thuruthu

Coming from Trivandrum, take the NH 47 route to Kollam. After around 60 kms comes Kottiyam. From Kottiyam take the right to Kundara. On reaching Kundara Hospital Junction take the right and after a short distance you have to take a left across a level crossing to go to Munro Thuruthu.

Munro Thuruthu is not your usual touristy place. In fact, it won't even figure in most people's travel plans. So how on earth did I end up visiting this place? Well, my friend Pradeep wanted to go some place where there are (according to him) no or very less number of "evolved monkeys" spoiling the peace. As we made out of Trivandrum in the direction of Kollam in search of such a place, the first place that came to my mind was Sasthamkotta Lake. Further down the road, we saw a sign board saying Ashtamudi Lake and the destination got changed to Ashtamudi Lake. But I had no idea about reaching Ashtamudi Lake so both of us were looking out for directions when we saw the next sign board. Yes, change of plans yet again and we were off to Munro Thuruthu. We had an expectation about the place as both of us had seen the place while travelling by train.

We had to ask for directions couple of times but finally we reached the place. We went to the railway station and parked the car there. We walked around the place taking pictures. The Kallada river flows through here creating a back water effect like Alappuzha. Although not as beautiful as Alappuzha, the place has its charm. One of the plus points is you are unlikely to find any tourists here. As for the beauty of the place and whether it is worth visiting, go through the pictures and decide yourself.

Photoblog of destinations in & around Trivandrum, Kerala-dsc03357.jpg

Photoblog of destinations in & around Trivandrum, Kerala-dsc03358.jpg

Photoblog of destinations in & around Trivandrum, Kerala-dsc03359.jpg

Photoblog of destinations in & around Trivandrum, Kerala-dsc03360.jpg

Photoblog of destinations in & around Trivandrum, Kerala-dsc03363.jpg

Photoblog of destinations in & around Trivandrum, Kerala-dsc03364.jpg

Photoblog of destinations in & around Trivandrum, Kerala-dsc03365.jpg

Photoblog of destinations in & around Trivandrum, Kerala-dsc03366.jpg

Photoblog of destinations in & around Trivandrum, Kerala-dsc03370.jpg

Photoblog of destinations in & around Trivandrum, Kerala-dsc03372.jpg

Photoblog of destinations in & around Trivandrum, Kerala-dsc03373.jpg

Photoblog of destinations in & around Trivandrum, Kerala-dsc03380.jpg

Photoblog of destinations in & around Trivandrum, Kerala-dsc03382.jpg

Photoblog of destinations in & around Trivandrum, Kerala-dsc03383.jpg

Photoblog of destinations in & around Trivandrum, Kerala-dsc03387.jpg

Photoblog of destinations in & around Trivandrum, Kerala-dsc03391.jpg

Photoblog of destinations in & around Trivandrum, Kerala-dsc03393.jpg
Nutty Nair is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th February 2012, 09:49   #113
Senior - BHPian

Nice to see you back with some updates.

These places are all near to my grand parent's home, and had brought in a few nostalgic days of my childhood. Thanks
Old 21st May 2012, 12:27   #114
BHPian

Quote:
Been some time since my last post here. I think it's time to update the thread with another destination.
Hi Nutty Nair, I was planning to do a one day ponmudi trip next week (Probably between any day on May 29 - June 01, 2012). I have a family function to attend in TVM and suddenly thought of doing this ponmudi trip. And after seeing your Travelogues in Team-bhp i made my mind to somehow visit this place.

Howz the road condition? Is mansoon started there in God's own country? Is it ok to take family along? I'am planning to take my Figo TDCI to enjoy the curves.
Old 24th May 2012, 07:20   #115
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIVE_ADDICT View Post
Hi Nutty Nair, I was planning to do a one day ponmudi trip next week (Probably between any day on May 29 - June 01, 2012). I have a family function to attend in TVM and suddenly thought of doing this ponmudi trip. And after seeing your Travelogues in Team-bhp i made my mind to somehow visit this place.

Howz the road condition? Is mansoon started there in God's own country? Is it ok to take family along? I'am planning to take my Figo TDCI to enjoy the curves.
@DRIVE_ADDICT - From Trivandrum city upto Aanad, the roads are a mixed bag, smooth in some places and broken up in others. From Aanad to Ponmudi, the road is in good condition. You will especially enjoy the drive from Kallar to Ponmudi in your Figo. Please be careful of local jeeps on the way.

Climate - Monsoon as such has not started in the city except for some summer showers. But I was at Vithura (close to Ponmudi) for some days in April and then itself, it was raining during the evenings there. It is probable that it may rain during the late afternoon and evening at Ponmudi. But if you are the type who loves rains, then I'm telling you, Ponmudi during the rains is a heavenly experience. I just love it there when it rains. Just keep some umbrellas in the car just in case.

It is perfectly safe to take family along. It is one of the most popular destinations in Trivandrum and if you are going on a weekend, most probably it will be crowded. Please note that there are no hotels at the top except for a KTDC restaurant & that too has very limited choices. Better to take some snacks & more importantly, water along with you.

Enjoy the drive.
Old 24th May 2012, 10:55   #116
BHPian

Thanks Nutty, I'am planning to do it on weekday. Your travelogue provides every details, so i was prepared for what i can expect and what not in Ponmudi. Will write back my experience later next week.
Old 4th June 2012, 23:02   #117
BHPian

As planned, I did Ponmudi trip last week and it turns out good. Roads on the ghats were well tarred and scenic, enjoyed the curves and 22 hair pin bends. Without much commercial activities this place is very virgin and nice. I expect some down pour but unfortunately it was not raining that day, climate was ok-ish.

I guess this place is good for family only on weekend, i did it on a weekday, there were few gangs of youths made some lewd comments so we didn't continued our trekking to top of the hill and returned.

Some pictures from the trip..
Attached Thumbnails
Photoblog of destinations in & around Trivandrum, Kerala-dsc05006.jpg  

Photoblog of destinations in & around Trivandrum, Kerala-dsc05058.jpg  

Photoblog of destinations in & around Trivandrum, Kerala-dsc05064.jpg  

Photoblog of destinations in & around Trivandrum, Kerala-dsc05107.jpg  

Photoblog of destinations in & around Trivandrum, Kerala-dsc05007.jpg  

Photoblog of destinations in & around Trivandrum, Kerala-dsc05009.jpg  

DRIVE_ADDICT is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 5th June 2012, 00:50   #118
BHPian

@DRIVE_ADDICT - It always leaves a bitter taste when such things happen. It is really sad that the youth stoop to such low levels of behaviour. Recently we had a similar situation with the local boys when me & my friend went to Bonacaud with his family. Both of us didn't say anything then as his family was with us. But suffice this to say that the miscreants were made to pay heavily afterwards.
Old 31st August 2012, 15:09   #119
BHPian

Neyyar Meenmutti Falls

Route: Trivandrum - Peyad - Kattakada - Kuttichal - Kottoor - Kappukadu.
From Kappukadu, the distance is 15 kms to the falls which is allowed only in jeeps assigned by the Forest department. Prior permission is required to go to the falls and can be had from the forest office at PTP Nagar, Trivandrum.

Vehicle: Xylo

Camera: Sony A290 with 18-55 & 70-300 lens.

We started from Trivandrum early morning 6.15 itself. The route was known to us and we made good progress and reached Kappukadu at 7.30. On the way we had tea and pazhampori from a tea shop. Kappukadu is the last checkpost from where you proceed to Meenmutti falls. The jeep driver was told to come at 8'o clock. Kappukadu has an Elephant Rehabilitation Center and we could see a small one in the shed. As we had some time till the jeep came, we started clicking photos.
Photoblog of destinations in & around Trivandrum, Kerala-dsc04760.jpg

Photoblog of destinations in & around Trivandrum, Kerala-dsc04761.jpg
The trough you see in front of the bamboo hut is a part of the Neyyar reservoir. Sadly, all dried up now due to lack of rains.
Photoblog of destinations in & around Trivandrum, Kerala-dsc04764.jpg

The team
Photoblog of destinations in & around Trivandrum, Kerala-dsc04765.jpg

Photoblog of destinations in & around Trivandrum, Kerala-dsc04768.jpg

The time was past 8 and still there was no sign of our jeep. Made some calls and after 15 minutes, the jeep arrived and we started on our journey. Some photos along the route.
Photoblog of destinations in & around Trivandrum, Kerala-dsc04770.jpg

Photoblog of destinations in & around Trivandrum, Kerala-dsc04774.jpg

Photoblog of destinations in & around Trivandrum, Kerala-dsc04776.jpg
The journey to the shelter took an hour. From the shelter, it is just a 2 minutes walk to the falls. We were fortunate that we had some rains in the preceding days. Although the falls were not in their full splendour, it had enough water for us to take a dip.
Meenmutti Falls
Photoblog of destinations in & around Trivandrum, Kerala-dsc04796.jpg

Photoblog of destinations in & around Trivandrum, Kerala-dsc04798-copy.jpg

Photoblog of destinations in & around Trivandrum, Kerala-dsc04802.jpg

Nature's own swimming pool. Time to enjoy the cold, fresh water
Photoblog of destinations in & around Trivandrum, Kerala-dsc04825.jpg

Photoblog of destinations in & around Trivandrum, Kerala-dsc04834.jpg

Photoblog of destinations in & around Trivandrum, Kerala-dsc04818.jpg
Another view of the falls
Photoblog of destinations in & around Trivandrum, Kerala-dsc04855.jpg

Photoblog of destinations in & around Trivandrum, Kerala-dsc04859.jpg
Old 28th September 2012, 11:12   #120
BHPian

Very good thread indeed . Do keep updating.

We are doing a Kanyakumari trip on Saturday early morning. Enroute back planning to visit palace and the two forts . Would like to take a freshen up in a waterfall or river on the way back to Trivandrum . Any suggestions close to the highway?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks