Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st September 2009, 15:01   #121
Team-BHP Support

Tell me one thing very honestly. Did you beat him up and fracture the other leg also when you got to know what his footballing had done
Old 21st September 2009, 15:04   #122
BHPian

He simply refused to get the cast put on and after our experience at the hospital, I wasn’t too sure either. We then went to the Primary Health Center where a different doctor validated the fracture & soft tissue injury & advised us to go to Kullu Valley Hospital to consult an orthopedic doctor – which Manali did not have.

We hired a taxi to Kullu – Amit was by now in tremendous pain – and sped down. At the Kullu Valley Hospital , the orthopedic person was called in – it was about 10pm – who put a cast on Amit’s foot & told us that traveling back by taxi or bus/train would cause his foot to swell up in the cast and that would not be a good idea. That’s when I discovered that Kullu had an airport! I had been sort of looking forward to a white cast so I could write on it – but the cast turned out to be a bright blue. I’d have to use post its.

We went back to Manali & Amit had to be nearly carried back upstairs to our room! I ordered a fancy dinner in the room to cheer him up. Nishant & the rest of the guys at Drifters were so kind to us – they gave us a room on a lower floor & served us in the room (room service wasn’t really the norm) among other things.

It had been a crazy day & we were still dealing with the shock of how things had turned out

The transformation of the formerly vibrant young man! In the corner - the rogue sneakers - externalizing a bit of the blame here!

AMS, a Fracture & What turned out to be a Manali trip!-dsc08079.jpg

AMS, a Fracture & What turned out to be a Manali trip!-dsc08080.jpg
Old 21st September 2009, 15:06   #123
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Tell me one thing very honestly. Did you beat him up and fracture the other leg also when you got to know what his footballing had done
I was close - real close...and sometimes i get closer in retrospect too!
Old 21st September 2009, 15:32   #124
BHPian

fracture due to footballing !!! I never expected this wud be the cause for a fracture on a BIKING TOUR ...

really a very different way to get hurt and return half way from a tour. I am so sorry for this amip.. I hope amit is alright now.
Old 21st September 2009, 16:26   #125
BHPian

Day 9

The day dawned nice and clear & I knew I had to go back and cancel the “non refundable” tickets for the rest of the trip and book fresh ones at exorbitant rates. We had been in Manali much longer than planned and were using local services quite a bit – old Manali had almost become home & we were often waving to now known locals & fellow travelers. Wasn’t a great idea using the credit cards in Manali café’s but did it anyway

Canceling the rest of our trip :-(

AMS, a Fracture & What turned out to be a Manali trip!-dsc07989.jpg

Then I walked down to the Mission hospital – it was good to get out but was feeling guilty about the injured man back at the hotel! The goal was to get an elbow crutch for him. It helped him hop about a bit.

Only one problem remained – what to do with the bike? Checked with a local courier company & they called back with a quote of Rs 30,000! Still chuckling, I called up Gati and to my delight found that they had an office in Mandi – about 110km from Manali – in fact for a little extra money the guy was willing to come to Manali & pick it up. Felt bad watching the bike on the road & us not riding it! Anyway, the next morning we caught a flight from Kullu to Delhi & then on to Hyderabad.

The Kullu airport

AMS, a Fracture & What turned out to be a Manali trip!-dsc08083.jpg

Being "wheeled" in

AMS, a Fracture & What turned out to be a Manali trip!-dsc08085.jpg

AMS, a Fracture & What turned out to be a Manali trip!-dsc08087.jpg

One good thing I noticed was how kind & considerate the airport & airline staff all over were to Amit – it was the first time I realized how useful all the ramps/washrooms/wheelchairs/attendants would be to someone who was handicapped. Even the Taxi & Autowallah’s were extremely considerate. It gladdened my heart to see that people by and large seem sensitized to the special requirements for someone with a temporary or permanent handicap

At the end of the day it turned out to be one expensive Manali trip! It was a disappointing end – but after all a journey is about discovering new things – and discover we did – some good, some bad - but mostly rather unforgettable. I'm rather positive - we've given our due to statistics & i believe we'll have many flawless trips in the future. (we better!)

@the road beyond Jispa .- we’ll be back!

Thank you to all those who've been following this thread & goading me to go on!
Old 21st September 2009, 16:34   #126
Senior - BHPian

Hey Ami,
Have been following the log religiously.
Sad to know that it had to end so abruptly. Hope Amit has been recovering well.
No issues that you could not complete the trip, atleast now you will go again finish it off from where you left it.I was guessing that it's you who got the fracture, but I was wrong.
It has been such a pleasure reading your logs. Why don't you put in here the details of all the other travel that you have done.I know it is too much of an asking. hehe..

Edit: yay!! I am the first one to read the complete story.
Old 21st September 2009, 16:37   #127
BHPian

Wonderful travelogue - even though one feels sorry for you not having completed as per the original plan, i still feel that these memories would remain with you forever. What is a trip without having a story to tell !!!
Old 21st September 2009, 16:57   #128
Senior - BHPian

wouchie. that is such a dampener! I'm sure no one here would've predicted the ending!

but all said, I'm sure there'll be a next time.

Infact, why not fly down in winter and bike around? the tickets are REALLY cheap
Old 21st September 2009, 17:03   #129
Senior - BHPian

Ami, beautifully written travelogue!
Well, the intended goal could not be met; but quite a nice holiday in its own right!
Hope Amit has recovered.
Old 21st September 2009, 17:35   #130
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amip View Post
...but after all a journey is about discovering new things – and discover we did – some good, some bad - but mostly rather unforgettable. I'm rather positive - we've given our due to statistics & i believe we'll have many flawless trips in the future. (we better!)

@the road beyond Jispa .- we’ll be back!
Amen to that! I guess Ladakh better be ready for you folks coming back with a vengeance.

A very well composed cliffhanger of a travelogue!
Old 21st September 2009, 18:34   #131
Senior - BHPian

Well done, great travelogue. Unfortunately you did not reach your destination but in turn had an experience to remember for a life time.

As for Amit's Fracture I would lay it down to Low Altitude sickness. After coming down from high altitudes you get a sudden splurge of energy and start indulging in things otherwise you would not even attempt. In this case playing football.

So spare him this time and next time he goes for a game of footy buy him high ankle shoes :P
Old 21st September 2009, 19:10   #132
Senior - BHPian

a very nice write up Ami,thanks for sharing it with us.
Amit if you are reading this, you are a brave man get well soon
and get back on the road even faster
Old 21st September 2009, 19:33   #133
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks for a wonderful story. Glad to hear Amit is recovering well.

Looking forward to your next trip!

Errr... trip? Maybe that word is not quite tactful, in the circumstances

Looking forward to your next travels
Old 21st September 2009, 21:01   #134
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordmanchau View Post
Hey Ami,
Have been following the log religiously.
Sad to know that it had to end so abruptly. Hope Amit has been recovering well.
No issues that you could not complete the trip, atleast now you will go again finish it off from where you left it.I was guessing that it's you who got the fracture, but I was wrong.
It has been such a pleasure reading your logs. Why don't you put in here the details of all the other travel that you have done.I know it is too much of an asking. hehe..

Edit: yay!! I am the first one to read the complete story.
Me getting the fracture too? No way!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalpeshc View Post
Wonderful travelogue - even though one feels sorry for you not having completed as per the original plan, i still feel that these memories would remain with you forever. What is a trip without having a story to tell !!!
Well said Kalpesh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
wouchie. that is such a dampener! I'm sure no one here would've predicted the ending!

but all said, I'm sure there'll be a next time.

Infact, why not fly down in winter and bike around? the tickets are REALLY cheap
Yeah, right - i did mention somewhere that i was "petrified" of the cold. I'm sure the winter trip would cure me of that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
Ami, beautifully written travelogue!
Well, the intended goal could not be met; but quite a nice holiday in its own right!
Hope Amit has recovered.
Thanks Anup. He's well on his way - thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordofgondor View Post
Amen to that! I guess Ladakh better be ready for you folks coming back with a vengeance.

A very well composed cliffhanger of a travelogue!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ms001 View Post
a very nice write up Ami,thanks for sharing it with us.
Amit if you are reading this, you are a brave man get well soon
and get back on the road even faster
Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by deky View Post
Well done, great travelogue. Unfortunately you did not reach your destination but in turn had an experience to remember for a life time.

As for Amit's Fracture I would lay it down to Low Altitude sickness. After coming down from high altitudes you get a sudden splurge of energy and start indulging in things otherwise you would not even attempt. In this case playing football.

So spare him this time and next time he goes for a game of footy buy him high ankle shoes :P
Yeah right!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Thanks for a wonderful story. Glad to hear Amit is recovering well.

Looking forward to your next trip!

Errr... trip? Maybe that word is not quite tactful, in the circumstances

Looking forward to your next travels
You're right Thad - no more "tripping" - of the locomotive sort at least!
Old 21st September 2009, 21:15   #135
BHPian

Ami

Thanks for the wonderful write up. I am sure you two will pass through the same football field (court ?) sooner than later reliving the memories from this trip.

Looking forward to that travelogue.

Wishes to Amit for a quick recovery

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks