Team-BHP > Travelogues

Search this Thread
Old 25th September 2009, 13:50   #1
Senior - BHPian

Re(claim/lax)ing Mahabalipuram

As I was already planning for a trip to Mahabalipuram and based on the feedback received by members here I decided to make booking in Chariot Beach Resort(review in the end), there was no plan as such for sightseeing, intention was to relax and enjoy.

Route suggestions were also taken here with guidance from Hellstar & Gansan the route was spot on, Hosur - Krishnagiri - Vellore - Sriperambadur - detour to Chennai bypass - Vandalur and then detour to join the ECR.

Detailed Route:
Just 14-15Kms before chennai, you will see an under construction bridge being constructed at right angles to the highway, take right from here, the right turn is just before the bridge and not under it.

Pay the toll and cross over Porur lake, keep going straight, dont take any turns into chennai and airport directions.

You will see an IT park with Mahindra, Satyam, Accenture signs. Vandalur Railway station is on the right and then Vandalur Zoo starts on the left.

Take the left just after Zoo and Between Crecent School & Engineering collge, go straight.

You will cross, Superauto forge on the right, Tagore Engg College on the left, Krisp IT park on the left, there's only one major crossing inbetween, go straight till you reach a T-point.

At the T-point take the right and the first left turn on a wider road after few small lanes. You will see a hotel on the left and then Bus stand in front and the road turning to the right, follow the road turning to the right. It will join the ECR take a right.

You will see, Shelter Beach resort on the left and then the Crocodile farm, Mamalla Resort, Ideal beach resort on the left and Silversands beach resort.

You will see a Y-fork with directions into the Mahabalipuram town and also CBR, take the right lane, left gets you into the Mahabalipuram city.

Just after crossing the bridge, take a left U-turn and cross the backwaters, pay the Panchayat toll and then take a right just after crossing the watersbody.

Go straight and just next to the Panch rathas is the Chariot beach resort.

Distance covered : 411 (one way), total apprx 840.
Time taken: 7hrs with 1 major(1 hr 15min break and 2 minor ones)

There was no particular plan so I will let the pictures speak for themselves.

Re(claim/lax)ing Mahabalipuram-a2b.jpg

Re(claim/lax)ing Mahabalipuram-toll_krishna.jpg

Re(claim/lax)ing Mahabalipuram-way-chennai.jpg

Re(claim/lax)ing Mahabalipuram-bypass-road.jpg

Re(claim/lax)ing Mahabalipuram-resort.jpg

Re(claim/lax)ing Mahabalipuram-lobby.jpg

Re(claim/lax)ing Mahabalipuram-view-room.jpg

Re(claim/lax)ing Mahabalipuram-room1.jpg

Re(claim/lax)ing Mahabalipuram-room2.jpg

Re(claim/lax)ing Mahabalipuram-beach.jpg

Re(claim/lax)ing Mahabalipuram-cottage.jpg

Re(claim/lax)ing Mahabalipuram-elderly-couple.jpg

Re(claim/lax)ing Mahabalipuram-panch-rathas.jpg

Re(claim/lax)ing Mahabalipuram-panch-ratha2.jpg

Re(claim/lax)ing Mahabalipuram-panch-ratha-3.jpg

Re(claim/lax)ing Mahabalipuram-panch-ratha-4.jpg

Re(claim/lax)ing Mahabalipuram-shore-temple.jpg

Re(claim/lax)ing Mahabalipuram-joyride-beach.jpg

Re(claim/lax)ing Mahabalipuram-lighthouse-temple.jpg

Re(claim/lax)ing Mahabalipuram-coco-art-near-panch-rathas.jpg

Re(claim/lax)ing Mahabalipuram-child-play-area.jpg

Re(claim/lax)ing Mahabalipuram-swim1.jpg

Re(claim/lax)ing Mahabalipuram-swim2.jpg

Re(claim/lax)ing Mahabalipuram-driveway.jpg

Hotel Review:

Service : Courteous and Prompt (except during one lunch it deteriorated as they were taking stock of the Restaurant & kitchen)
Rooms: Spacious and neat
Food : Good

PS: picture name = description, hover your mouse over it.
Old 25th September 2009, 14:34   #2
Senior - BHPian

nice pics.
@dadu,
man, you had finished the travelogue in just one post. not to your style and tradition.

the pic of pet bottles of cold drinks reminded my first trip to mahabalipuram in 1989.
mahabalipuram is the place where i saw beach and sea first time in my life.
it is the place where i enjoyed beach shack hotel with loud english disco music first time in my life.
it is the place where i enjoyed first time the taste of then newly launched lehar 7 up.
i still remember that crocodile park, ecr beach road[ no toll that time], sea breeze, that seashore temple, that stone idols made by roadside vendors. again i visited this place in 2005 but first time trip memories are still fresh.
thanks dadu for those pics.

Last edited by ASHISHPALLOD : 25th September 2009 at 14:35.
Old 25th September 2009, 14:37   #3
Senior - BHPian

Ah, there it is!

Nice hotel there.

What was the tarrif?

And how is the vehicle now (after yesterdays visit)?
Old 25th September 2009, 17:31   #4
Senior - BHPian

Thats nice set of pics Dadu. Nice explantion of the route too.
Old 25th September 2009, 18:09   #5
Senior - BHPian

@dadu , you were here in Mahabs and didnt give me a buzz ....

the pictures are nice and so is the resort , whats the name of the resort ? and it seems like this is on the pondy side of mahabs from the photograph.
Old 25th September 2009, 18:23   #6
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Ashish & Snaronikar, well there are so many long distance and bigger+better travelogue's around(Leh ones) that I was a bit hesitant on posting this tiny-miny one, therefore finished in one post.

@HW, need to update my Safari ownership thread, in a min.

Since I booked sometime back discounted Tariff was at 7K AP(inclusive of taxes) plan. They have plans from 5k -20k depending on the room + no. of meals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellstar View Post
@dadu , you were here in Mahabs and didnt give me a buzz ....

the pictures are nice and so is the resort , whats the name of the resort ? and it seems like this is on the pondy side of mahabs from the photograph.
Sorry, never knew you would be there, otherwise we could have sat down for some chit chat + refreshments, my bad. Its Chariot Beach resort, its right nextto the Panch Ratha's monument.

Last edited by dadu : 25th September 2009 at 18:25.
Old 25th September 2009, 18:43   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
Sorry, never knew you would be there, otherwise we could have sat down for some chit chat + refreshments, my bad. Its Chariot Beach resort, its right nextto the Panch Ratha's monument.
too bad , so how did you find the place ? did you try having food anywhere outside the resort?

Oh yes now i remember.
Old 25th September 2009, 18:53   #8
Senior - BHPian

Nice pics there dadu, after a long time from you i guess !! Nice and spacious resort.

BPCL Ghar @Chinnar has gone very crowded these days due to closure of the A1 Plazas may be.

BTW, it is not Mahindra, Satyam but Mahindra Satyam
Abhi
Old 25th September 2009, 19:02   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akroy View Post

Abhi
yeah MSAT as its now called internally !
Old 25th September 2009, 19:12   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
Ah, there it is!

Nice hotel there.

What was the tarrif?

And how is the vehicle now (after yesterdays visit)?
Updated

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellstar View Post
too bad , so how did you find the place ? did you try having food anywhere outside the resort?

Oh yes now i remember.
No actually we didnt go anywhere searching as we were too lazy.

The place was good, courteous staff and prompt service, food's expensive as expected in such resorts but they prepare it well but still you get bored after a day or two with the food.

They also has a barbeque running during the meals which you could order, you name it and they had it in the barbeque.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akroy View Post
Nice pics there dadu, after a long time from you i guess !! Nice and spacious resort.

BPCL Ghar @Chinnar has gone very crowded these days due to closure of the A1 Plazas may be.

Abhi
Lot of time spent in BPCL, not worth it as long as there's an alternative.

Righto, sadly this was my second trip only out of Bangalore, in the Safari this year.

Last edited by dadu : 25th September 2009 at 19:17.
Old 26th September 2009, 11:19   #11
BHPian

Nice photos

While coming from Bangalore you can take Kanchipuram - Chengelpet - Mahabs route which is much shorter and also faster
Old 26th September 2009, 12:09   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raju2512 View Post
Nice photos

While coming from Bangalore you can take Kanchipuram - Chengelpet - Mahabs route which is much shorter and also faster

If you are well versed with the route can you please detail it out, I remember AKroy getting lost and took more time due to traffic within the city.
Old 26th September 2009, 17:18   #13
BHPian

I had been to Kanchipuram a few times and had also visited Vellore from there. While coming from Bangalore you have to take a left in to Kanchipuram. This road will lead you the centre of the town and enquire for the route to Chengelpet. It is pretty straight forward and Kanchipuram is small town. You can cross in about 15 mins. Kanchipuram Chengelpet is 40 km approx. and Chengelpet to Mahabs is another 35km approx.

Kanchipuram to Chennai bye pass will be 60 kms, Chennai bye pass to Vandalur is 25 kms, , Vandalur - Kelambakkam - 25 kms and Kelambakkam - Mahabs - 20 km totaling 130 kms
Old 26th September 2009, 17:32   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Nice photos

Quote:
It is pretty straight forward and Kanchipuram is small town. You can cross in about 15 mins. Kanchipuram Chengelpet is 40 km approx. and Chengelpet to Mahabs is another 35km approx.

Kanchipuram to Chennai bye pass will be 60 kms, Chennai bye pass to Vandalur is 25 kms, , Vandalur - Kelambakkam - 25 kms and Kelambakkam - Mahabs - 20 km totaling 130 kms
@ dadu i concur with raju in the matter of absolute kms the route via kanchipuram will be shorter but not faster or hassle free during the day time. For teh first timer its very easy to et lost and the road conditons from chegalpet to mahabs is not all that great , this update is as of last week. I would take the chennai bypass - vandalur- mahabs route any day.
Old 26th September 2009, 17:47   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Nice photologue.

OT here but who will teach express way driving behaviour? There seems to be no reason for this guy to be fast lane. Looking at the picture he would be best in the slow lane and safer too for every one concerned.

Most Viewed