Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th September 2009, 18:22   #16
Senior - BHPian

Very nice travelogue! This is Santro AT right? Whats Fuel economy, with or without AC? Please let us know. I expect it should be 10+ kmpl which is good for automatic vehicle. How did car behave in ghat section since you travelled in real ghats. I am asking how AT car perform in these ghats.

Regards,

Ravi.
Old 29th September 2009, 19:44   #17
BHPian

ravi,

The car handled quite well through the ghats. I had a bit of a problem with potholes though. Because we were five of us in the car and with our moderate luggage, the bottom of the car kept hitting the road numerous times at potholes. Apart from that, I'm really happy by the way it handled. And, I'm so much in love with AT transmission, that I've decided that my next car/SUV will also be an AT. :P

As for the mileage, I got between 9.8 to 10.5 at various legs of the journey. I don't exactly know how much with/without AC. The AC was on only at times when it was raining and the windshield was getting foggy.

~Morgul
Old 29th September 2009, 21:12   #18
BHPian

Morgul nice travelogue. I somehow feel around 10 KMPL is low for an AT car even with an AC on. I think Automatic Transmission should not drop Fuel Efficiency by more than 10%. That's what is claimed by the dealers both Hyundai & Maruti.

I think you should get 12-13 kmpl if not more. You may want to get it checked with the dealer/service guys.
Old 30th September 2009, 11:55   #19
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for valuable inputs Morgul. In that bumpy/ghat section road with full load 10kmpl is decent FE. In good highway one can expect 12+kmpl. Santro mannual returns 15-16kmpl in highway driving. Now I have more confidence about AT car If I am returning to my native side after my retirement.

Regards,

Ravi.
Old 28th August 2017, 12:16   #20
BHPian

Chennai - Gokarna

Need help!!!

Planning a family drive from Chennai and is interested in covering the below places

1. Murdheswar and Gokarna
2. Udupi,Dharmastala
3. Kollur Mookambika and Kukke Subramanya
4. Sakleshpur (or any other scenic place)

Dates - 29th Sep till 3rd Oct
Mode - 2 cars

Is this doable?Please help me in an itinerary and preferred places of halt and stop overs.

Thanks,
Aravind
Old 28th August 2017, 12:30   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Chennai - Gokarna

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravind84 View Post
Need help!!!

Planning a family drive from Chennai and is interested in covering the below places

1. Murdheswar and Gokarna
2. Udupi,Dharmastala
3. Kollur Mookambika and Kukke Subramanya
4. Sakleshpur (or any other scenic place)

Dates - 29th Sep till 3rd Oct
Mode - 2 cars

Is this doable?Please help me in an itinerary and preferred places of halt and stop overs.

Thanks,
Aravind
There are plenty of threads and travelogues that would help you get latest details on road conditions and as well plan an itinerary. Please refer to them here:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/search...rchid=35489265

Else, you answer your query,

You need to group Mudureshwar - Gokarna - Kollur as one and Udupi - Dharmasthala - Kukke - Sakaleshpur into another and then decide.

Of this, you need to remember that you need couple of days to reach your destinations; Bangalore - Chennai - Murudeshwar (1 Day Drive easily) can be at a stretch or with a break in between depending on your driving style and passenger comfort.

Same is applicable for return where you either do Sakaleshpur - Bangalore - Chennai at a stretch if you start early or halt beyond Bangalore at Hosur if you start in the evening.

29 Sept - 03rd Oct is 5 Full days and with proper planning all this can be covered.

D1 : Murudeshwar (Temple and Halt)
D2 : Gokarna, Kollur and Udupi (Halt)
D3 : Udupi - Temple and Beach
D4 : Udupi - Dharmasthala - Kukke - Sakaleshpur
D5 : Sakaleshpur - Bangalore - Chennai

But remember, D4 will be tight and with that you may hardly be able spend time with the nature between D4 and D5 at Sakaleshpur.

You either need to set your priorities between the places mentioned or extend this by at least one more day or two.
paragsachania is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th August 2017, 16:15   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Chennai - Gokarna

If temples are your priority, probably you can look at a plan something similar to this.

Sep 29 : Chennai to Gokarna (Halt)
Sep 30 : Gokarna Temple, Idagunji Temple, Murudeshwara Temple, Kollur Temple and Udupi (Halt)
Oct 1 : Udupi (Temple) and Dharmasthala (Temple and Stay)
Oct 2 : Kukke (Temple) - Sakaleshpura
Oct 3 : Sakaleshpura to Chennai

If possible, I would suggest you to extend by another day and spend one more day relaxing at Sakaleshpura.
hemanth.anand is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th August 2017, 23:40   #23
BHPian

Re: Gokarna - My maiden long distance drive ...

Could suggest the following

day 1 -chennai to Sakleshpur.

day 2 -sakleshpur to dharmasthala-(lunch)-kukke-halt at udupi.

day 3- udupi temple-marwanthe beach-murdeshwara -gokarna.

day 4- spend time exploring all beaches in gokarna and trekking-halt at udupi.

day 5-take route through kudremukh and halt in bangalore.

day 6-reach chennai.

weather would be awesome now to enjoy the western ghats.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks