Team-BHP > Travelogues

Search this Thread
Old 29th September 2009, 17:18   #16
Team-BHP Support

Tree House

It all started when we saw a snap in our family friend's Orkut album, which showed them atop a tree house. After enquiring with them, we were told that this was their own tree house which they had constructed as a place for leisure on their property in a place called Labbakkada near Kattapana.
The best part was that they offerred us the place for a visit at our convenience, which we readily accepted.

Ramakkalmedu - A Walk in the Clouds along with a tree house visit-img_6036.jpg

Ramakkalmedu - A Walk in the Clouds along with a tree house visit-img_6035.jpg

This particular tree house was also featured in the Malayala Manorama newspaper's article on the increasing trend for tree houses which was being seen in the Idduki region. Our family friend who was there to welcome us showed us the article which was dated April 2009, and i have also attached a couple of snaps of the article.

Ramakkalmedu - A Walk in the Clouds along with a tree house visit-img_6203.jpg

Ramakkalmedu - A Walk in the Clouds along with a tree house visit-img_6204.jpg

Ramakkalmedu - A Walk in the Clouds along with a tree house visit-img_6205.jpg

While the work on the tree house commenced some time ago, it is not totally completed. As per the current status, it is good for meeting up with friends and general time pass, but since the sanitary work is still in progress, there is still some amount of work to be completed before it becoems fully homeworthy.

Nevertheless, all we wanted was to savour the experience, and an experience it sure was!

More pics coming up.
Old 30th September 2009, 21:03   #17
Team-BHP Support

Ramakkalmedu - A Walk in the Clouds along with a tree house visit-0.jpg

Ramakkalmedu - A Walk in the Clouds along with a tree house visit-1.jpg

Ramakkalmedu - A Walk in the Clouds along with a tree house visit-2.jpg

As is quite usual in Kerala the view from the tree house is all greenery. Cuddled between the expanse of the property and the winding roads on the other side, this perch makes for great viewing position.

Ramakkalmedu - A Walk in the Clouds along with a tree house visit-3.jpg

Ramakkalmedu - A Walk in the Clouds along with a tree house visit-4.jpg

Ramakkalmedu - A Walk in the Clouds along with a tree house visit-5.jpg

Views as seen from the tree house

Name:  6.jpg
Views: 25465
Size:  304.8 KB

Ramakkalmedu - A Walk in the Clouds along with a tree house visit-7.jpg

Currently, plans are on to develop this property into a resort, but that would take a while.

Ramakkalmedu - A Walk in the Clouds along with a tree house visit-8.jpg

Also situated on the same property is an old house reflective of the olden style of architecture as seen in Kerala with liberal usage of wood. The master room also had an underground storage space where goods were stored, and which also helped to keep the room warm and cozy. The plan is to retain this structure as it is, while proceeding with the renovation of the rest of the house and property.

Ramakkalmedu - A Walk in the Clouds along with a tree house visit-9.jpg

Ramakkalmedu - A Walk in the Clouds along with a tree house visit-10.jpg

Ramakkalmedu - A Walk in the Clouds along with a tree house visit-11.jpg

After spending quite some time in the tree house while being treated to a cup of tea and snacks, we made our way to the house where our family friend who happens to be my FIL's best friend had specially ordered food for us. Having gorged on the delicious parotta and beef curry we were stuffed!

Here are some pics of my faithful steed Mike.

Ramakkalmedu - A Walk in the Clouds along with a tree house visit-12.jpg

Ramakkalmedu - A Walk in the Clouds along with a tree house visit-13.jpg

Next up on the agenda was Anchuruli.

Last edited by benbsb29 : 30th September 2009 at 21:06.
benbsb29 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st October 2009, 11:25   #18
Senior - BHPian

Good snaps. I have never been here, but seen these massive windmills around Udumalpettu. There it is much more in numbers and spread across kilometers. But it is on the foothills and in plainlands and does not provide a great view as in Ramakkelmedu. Here I have never seen the wind strong enough to lift a human
Old 1st October 2009, 14:47   #19
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadadhar View Post
Good snaps. I have never been here, but seen these massive windmills around Udumalpettu. There it is much more in numbers and spread across kilometers. But it is on the foothills and in plainlands and does not provide a great view as in Ramakkelmedu. Here I have never seen the wind strong enough to lift a human
Thanks for the comments, Gadadhar.

Ramkkalmedu is an ideal location for wind energy harvesting owing to its height, as well as the curved hills surrounding which sort of channel the wind flow. I read on the associated site that Ramakkalmedu has the highest wind speed in Asia.

The same site also mentions that this place was visited by Leonardo Di Caprio, and he referred to it as 'Paradise on earth'.
Old 2nd October 2009, 00:37   #20
Team-BHP Support

ANCHURULI

Anchuruli is a rather unexplored place located 10kms from Kattapana. This is the place where the waters from the Idukki dam joins the reservoir.

Ramakkalmedu - A Walk in the Clouds along with a tree house visit-1.jpg

From the main road, one needs to travel 4 kms along a narrow freshly laid road to reach Anchuruli. Once you reach a dead end, you need to trek down to reach an opening where the sight before you is just majestic!

Ramakkalmedu - A Walk in the Clouds along with a tree house visit-2.jpg

Ramakkalmedu - A Walk in the Clouds along with a tree house visit-3.jpg

The sound of falling water greets you and you see water which is flowing through a huge underground pipe emptying its contents into this reservior.

Ramakkalmedu - A Walk in the Clouds along with a tree house visit-6.jpg

Ramakkalmedu - A Walk in the Clouds along with a tree house visit-7.jpg

Strips of land stretch into the water body and cossetted by greenery and trees all around this place looks wonderful and soothing. There is a KTDC tree house at this place, however it is not open to the general public. A lovely place for a nice family picnic.

Ramakkalmedu - A Walk in the Clouds along with a tree house visit-5.jpg

I have heard that there are plans by KTDC to open a boating facility at this place to tap the revenue potential. When this would be set up, is not known.

Drops of falling rain reminded us that it was time to go, and one last look later, we were off to the shelter of our car, lest we get drenched.

On our way back, we came across this waterfall with clear sparkling water, which we used to wash our face. It was truly refreshing.

Ramakkalmedu - A Walk in the Clouds along with a tree house visit-8.jpg

Ramakkalmedu - A Walk in the Clouds along with a tree house visit-9.jpg

It was now time to leave, and with that bringing to a close what was a wonderful outing, starting from the hills at Ramakkalmedu to the reservoir of Anchuruli. Truly, a day we would remember.

With this, I come to the end of this travelogue. Thanks to all who shared my joy, and hope this serves as a source of info for those looking at visiting these unexplored places.

Have a nice day!
benbsb29 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2009, 01:46   #21
Senior - BHPian

Nice.Some Claimed they can watch kambam from Ramakkalmed!
Old 6th October 2009, 12:55   #22
BHPian

Nice write up and pictures, enjoyed going trough your thread looking forward to more travelogues in the future

Last edited by Majic : 6th October 2009 at 12:57. Reason: Spelling mistake
Old 7th October 2009, 11:38   #23
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepclutch View Post
Nice.Some Claimed they can watch kambam from Ramakkalmed!
Isnt Kambam the area which is seen in the snaps i posted? Certainly looks like it. Flat plains with hills on the sides, and arrow straight roads.

I usually stop at Kambam to buy grapes, fresh from the vineyards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majic View Post
Nice write up and pictures, enjoyed going trough your thread looking forward to more travelogues in the future
Thanks Majic. Will certainly put up more in future.

Meanwhile, here is a pic which i had clicked along the way, at Kuttikanam.

Ramakkalmedu - A Walk in the Clouds along with a tree house visit-pic.jpg
Old 7th November 2009, 07:29   #24
BHPian

Hey Ben,

Didn't mention that we met after you recognized my Bolero enroute to theni! Back then i didn't know you; now i read all your posts!

Godspeed!
Old 19th January 2010, 13:50   #25
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by josepeter View Post
Hey Ben,

Didn't mention that we met after you recognized my Bolero enroute to theni! Back then i didn't know you; now i read all your posts!

Godspeed!
Jose, i hadnt seen this post of yours, so missed it.

It was a pleasure seeing your brilliantly modded Bolero which is difficult to miss and identify. I just hoped that in my attempt to signal you to stop by asking you to pull over, you wouldn't run over me and my car.

I was actually driving down alone to Kerala when I came across your Bolero near Kambam. Talk about a meet when you least expected to have one!
Old 20th January 2010, 16:43   #26
Senior - BHPian

Hey Ben,

Completely adore this pic.Your drive looks mean. love it
Fordmanchau is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th January 2010, 22:27   #27
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordmanchau View Post
Hey Ben,
Completely adore this pic.Your drive looks mean. love it
Thanks pal! It was strategically parked.
Old 21st October 2010, 22:14   #28
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for pointing me to this. The birds eye view pics are really nice. How does the tree house stand out to breeze?

Nice travelogue nevertheless
Old 25th October 2010, 12:44   #29
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
Thanks for pointing me to this. The birds eye view pics are really nice. How does the tree house stand out to breeze?

Nice travelogue nevertheless
Thanks for the comments, pal.

From the limited time we spent here, it was quite stable. However, we didnt really get to experience very strong winds while on top, so cannot be sure.

Will need to visit the place sometime in the future to see how well its been holding up.
Old 25th October 2010, 13:16   #30
anb
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post

Bangalore -> Hosur -> Krishnagiri -> Dharmapuri -> Salem -> Dindigul -> Theni -> Kambam -> Kumily -> Kuttikanam -> Elappara -> Kattapana -> Ramakkalmedu.
This route is not correct. theni>kambam>kumily> vandanmedu> puliyanmala> ramakkalmedu

or

kambam>kambammettu>puliyanamala>ramakkalmedu

these are the shortest routes. My home is in kattappana, 20 Kms from ramakkalmedu

Most Viewed