Team-BHP > Travelogues

Search this Thread
Old 30th September 2009, 13:29   #16
Senior - BHPian

Babupaul,

Awesome pictures and trip man. Totally unexpected adds to the charm.

I am glued to this thread as are many more of us.

Continue posting or else .......

ps - it's already 3 mins since your last post. Hurry up. Can't wait.
Old 30th September 2009, 15:27   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy View Post
I am glued to this thread as are many more of us.

ps - it's already 3 mins since your last post. Hurry up. Can't wait.
+1 to those sentiments.

Innsbruck sounds so exotic! I've only seen it on the travel shows
Old 30th September 2009, 16:03   #18
BHPian

@ normally_crazy

Hope to finish it soon

We walked the whole of Innsbruck and all hotels and zimmers were full as the city was hosting an event the next day, never bothered to ask what it was, it was well past 7:30 PM, we are tired and with aching legs we head back to the car. After a couple of minutes rest we decide to head to Zurich which is 285 Kms from Innsbruck hoping to find some accommodation on the way. Quickly key in the destination and our navigator gets into action, we obey him diligently (wish I was this obedient while growing up). Just as we near the end of the town we find Namaste India on the Innsbruck – Zurich road. Take a U turn and come back, plenty of parking space in the restaurant premises, quickly pull the car along and walk into the restaurant to be greeted by a friendly Gentleman from Delhi who runs this restaurant. On enquiry, like a blessing in disguise he says we might be able to find an accommodation in a hotel just 100 meter away from the restaurant. After taking the directions we walk to the hotel, at the lobby we are greeted by the owner and she says it’s all booked due to the “Event tomorrow”. But wait a min, I think I have a cancellation, Yes, we have a room. All we wanted was a place to rest our aching body, doesn’t matter what the room is or how it looks, we will take it.

She shows us the room and its 75 Euro for the night with breakfast and free internet. Its 8:30 PM, we check in, refresh and where else can we go to, “Namaste India”. We pack some food as we are too tired to sit at the restaurant and head back to the hotel. The Biriyani was one of the best we have had in recent times; tab for two was 31 Euros which included our dear “Kingfisher”. What a way to end the day!

Wake up refreshed and a sense of accomplishment on seeing the “KF”, quickly finish the morning formalities and we are all set. While having breakfast, we see people dressed in “Costumes” kids, teens, uncle, aunties, grandpa, grandma’s, generations dressed in fascinating costumes seen in some movies with European themes. Interesting, we look out of place and on enquiring with the owner of the hotel he says today is the annual day of Tirol and there is a parade on the main street from 11:00 Am – 4:00 PM where people from the villages of “Tirol” parade with their traditional dress and exhibit the significance of their village. He further added a large part of Germany and Italy was part of “Tirol” before the countries were divided and people still consider themselves as Tirols. And people from Austria, Germany and Italy are taking part in the parade.

Quote "the town centre of Innsbruck turns into a festive stage for commemorating Andreas Hofer and the events of 1809 from September 18-20. The Sunday parade – the last parade of this kind took place 25 years ago”
Tirol.at | Join the Celebrations for the Hofer Commemorative Year! | Top Deals | Packages

How lucky we are, did we ever think about watching something like this, not even in our wildest dreams.

Beautiful day, some clouds and around a cool 18 Degress, we walk to the venue, 30 min walk from our hotel, the street is by the river and there are thousands of people on the streets, a lot of them with the traditional costumes, beautiful music from the bands women and kids with beautiful frocks, men with leather shorts, suspenders and boots and so on, the main road is cleared of all traffic for the parade. OMG, what lovely costumes, the pride they take in flauntin them, its taking me back by a couple of centuries..I will let the pictures do the talking.
Attached Thumbnails
Unplanned Road trip covering Austria, Switzerland, Liechtenstein and Germany-img_1400.jpg  

Unplanned Road trip covering Austria, Switzerland, Liechtenstein and Germany-img_1401.jpg  

Unplanned Road trip covering Austria, Switzerland, Liechtenstein and Germany-img_1402.jpg  

Unplanned Road trip covering Austria, Switzerland, Liechtenstein and Germany-img_1404.jpg  

Unplanned Road trip covering Austria, Switzerland, Liechtenstein and Germany-img_1405.jpg  

Unplanned Road trip covering Austria, Switzerland, Liechtenstein and Germany-img_1407.jpg  

Unplanned Road trip covering Austria, Switzerland, Liechtenstein and Germany-img_1408.jpg  

Unplanned Road trip covering Austria, Switzerland, Liechtenstein and Germany-img_1418.jpg  

Unplanned Road trip covering Austria, Switzerland, Liechtenstein and Germany-img_1419.jpg  

Unplanned Road trip covering Austria, Switzerland, Liechtenstein and Germany-img_1420.jpg  

Unplanned Road trip covering Austria, Switzerland, Liechtenstein and Germany-img_1423.jpg  

Unplanned Road trip covering Austria, Switzerland, Liechtenstein and Germany-img_1757.jpg  

Unplanned Road trip covering Austria, Switzerland, Liechtenstein and Germany-img_1758.jpg  

Unplanned Road trip covering Austria, Switzerland, Liechtenstein and Germany-img_1759.jpg  

Last edited by Rehaan : 1st October 2009 at 18:45. Reason: Images removed on request.
Old 30th September 2009, 16:11   #19
BHPian

Wating.

Awesome.!
Waiting for more..!
Old 30th September 2009, 16:29   #20
Senior - BHPian

babu bha!!
Wonderful log and beautiful photos!!
Europe is so fascinating !!!
Waiting for more photographs..
Old 30th September 2009, 16:34   #21
BHPian

Amazing pics. One amongst the first few posted reminded me of "Sound of Music". Where the kids are running thru the fields. Beautiful.
Old 30th September 2009, 16:54   #22
BHPian

@ Country Road
Fordmanchau

Thank you!
Attached Thumbnails
Unplanned Road trip covering Austria, Switzerland, Liechtenstein and Germany-img_1760.jpg  

Unplanned Road trip covering Austria, Switzerland, Liechtenstein and Germany-img_1761.jpg  

Unplanned Road trip covering Austria, Switzerland, Liechtenstein and Germany-img_1762.jpg  

Unplanned Road trip covering Austria, Switzerland, Liechtenstein and Germany-img_1763.jpg  

Unplanned Road trip covering Austria, Switzerland, Liechtenstein and Germany-img_1764.jpg  

Unplanned Road trip covering Austria, Switzerland, Liechtenstein and Germany-img_1766.jpg  

Unplanned Road trip covering Austria, Switzerland, Liechtenstein and Germany-img_1767.jpg  

Last edited by Rehaan : 1st October 2009 at 18:44. Reason: Images removed on request.
Old 30th September 2009, 17:05   #23
Senior - BHPian

@babu,
board of Namaste India shows as it is indian ayurvedic restaurant.

What it means?
I have not found any ayurvedic restaurants in India.

Quote:
@NC--the signals still work like clock work
Your eyes are always on red light-----signals.

Last edited by ASHISHPALLOD : 30th September 2009 at 17:08.
Old 30th September 2009, 17:06   #24
Senior - BHPian

Just an observation - look at those Parade pictures carefully. The streets have been cleared for the parade but the signals still work like clock work.

@ Babu - we want more !
Old 30th September 2009, 17:13   #25
BHPian

Just an observation - look at those Parade pictures carefully. The streets have been cleared for the parade but the signals still work like clock work.

Good observation, I too noticed it, seemed strange when the main street was completely cut off for vehicles from 10 Am - 5 PM

Last edited by babupaul : 30th September 2009 at 17:14.
Old 30th September 2009, 17:15   #26
BHPian

@ ASHISHPALLOD
board of Namaste India shows as it is indian ayurvedic restaurant.

What it means?
I have not found any ayurvedic restaurants in India.

Probably a smart marketing strategy :-)
Old 30th September 2009, 18:06   #27
BHPian

The parade was beautiful, but we had to move on as this time spent was unplanned for the day. Walk back to the hotel, freshen up and we hit the road again, Zurich being a halt on the way and Langvies in Arosa(Switzerland) being the destination for the night halt. I had planned for the farm stay a couple of days in advance and it was a surprise for my wife, in the first place she was not aware we would be driving to Switzerland (being her dream destination) and a typical farm stay was like the icing on the cake.

The drive from Innsbruck to Zurich was beautiful with breathtaking scenery and high altitude driving, as we were climbing higher we could feel AMS creeping in, fortunately we had to descend after a brief climb. It was a cloudy day and the landscape and buildings changed dramatically, the churches in Austria and Switzerland look different, especially at the top.
Attached Thumbnails
Unplanned Road trip covering Austria, Switzerland, Liechtenstein and Germany-img_1432.jpg  

Unplanned Road trip covering Austria, Switzerland, Liechtenstein and Germany-img_1433.jpg  

Unplanned Road trip covering Austria, Switzerland, Liechtenstein and Germany-img_1437.jpg  

Unplanned Road trip covering Austria, Switzerland, Liechtenstein and Germany-img_1438.jpg  

Unplanned Road trip covering Austria, Switzerland, Liechtenstein and Germany-img_1441.jpg  

Unplanned Road trip covering Austria, Switzerland, Liechtenstein and Germany-img_1444.jpg  

Unplanned Road trip covering Austria, Switzerland, Liechtenstein and Germany-img_1768.jpg  

Unplanned Road trip covering Austria, Switzerland, Liechtenstein and Germany-img_1770.jpg  

Unplanned Road trip covering Austria, Switzerland, Liechtenstein and Germany-img_1772.jpg  

Unplanned Road trip covering Austria, Switzerland, Liechtenstein and Germany-img_1773.jpg  

Unplanned Road trip covering Austria, Switzerland, Liechtenstein and Germany-img_1774.jpg  

Unplanned Road trip covering Austria, Switzerland, Liechtenstein and Germany-img_1775.jpg  

Unplanned Road trip covering Austria, Switzerland, Liechtenstein and Germany-img_1776.jpg  

Unplanned Road trip covering Austria, Switzerland, Liechtenstein and Germany-img_1777.jpg  

Unplanned Road trip covering Austria, Switzerland, Liechtenstein and Germany-img_1778.jpg  

Unplanned Road trip covering Austria, Switzerland, Liechtenstein and Germany-img_1782.jpg  

Last edited by Rehaan : 1st October 2009 at 18:42. Reason: Images removed on request.
Old 1st October 2009, 12:17   #28
BHPian

Cool..!

Babu ..

Must say you are a loving & caring husband ..! ( .Just like me)

Planning nice surprises & allowing more snaps for your wife..!..Keep it up ! You two look made for each other.

By the way what is that WagonR like looking car in the 7th Photo above?
Old 1st October 2009, 12:48   #29
BHPian

It's WagonR

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007 View Post
Babu ..
By the way what is that WagonR like looking car in the 7th Photo above?
Yes, that's correct. WagonR is there in UK and Europe in the name of Wagon R / Wagon R+.
Old 1st October 2009, 13:14   #30
BHPian

@ 007

:-)

there are quite a few Wagon R's and Swifts in this part of the world. I have seen these cars in most of the countries I have visited.

Most Viewed