Team-BHP > Travelogues

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 30th September 2009, 20:18   #91
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
[*]I do not push my seat all the way back - roughly to about 80% of its capacity. I can therefore infer that a man of 6 feet, 5 inches can easily drive the Nano with no discomfort.
Even if I was a Sardarji, I would still have room to headbang in the Nano.
ok i get the point, its comfortable.

Congrats on that one!! Your purchases have been so varied, i would not be surprised on a new thread by you viz; "I have bought a yellow JCB...how do I upsize the tyres on this one"

So now...... how do i get one Nano, just as quick??
Old 30th September 2009, 20:19   #92
Senior - BHPian

@ Sam: Hope that a support car would be accompanying the Nano. NC's Octy or your Verna? Support car can also be used to rush to Delhi if you are running late for your meeting.

Are we about to witness pimped up Nano similar to Palio & Swift (evil twins)?

If you & NC are driving Nano to Delhi, who is going to get privilege of bringing it back? Have you got flooded with applications?
Old 30th September 2009, 20:30   #93
Senior - BHPian

Nice

Drive safe guys.

To days ago while Crusing on Nh-22 at 90-95 Km\hr I could spot a Red fog lamp going ahead,and that thing just kept pulling further and further.
Checked it out at a traffic Jam
and I was Like
It was a Nano.
I was crusing at 90-95 and it was pulling further and this was like for around 40 Kms,so that car was comfortably crusing at speeds in region of 95-100

Last edited by aah78 : 30th September 2009 at 20:42. Reason: Limit smileys to 2/post please. Thanks
Old 30th September 2009, 20:35   #94
BHPian

My god Sam, you have got the entire T-BHP on fire and the journey is not even started. I am a newbie at BHP but have been around to follow your wonderful travelogues.you are creating history here by travelling that far on a vehicle which has created history across the world. Great and me being on the 7th page of this thread already says how this thread will be followed. Travel carefully my friend and take care.
Old 30th September 2009, 20:36   #95
Team-BHP Support

Yeti and N_C have a great drive, just fill up at good petrol stations if the fuel gauge is less than half. Take 5-10 mts pit stops every 1 hour, shoot some pics, enjoy that ciggie and just keep an eye out for anything unusual.

My suggestion start early, and drive at 80 kph instead of aiming 90's atleast in the first half of the journey so that the car is comfy with prolonged higher speeds

But most important, enjoy the trip which am sure you guys will, since whole of TBHP is planning to get you guys hitched (to each other??? naaah) he he he
Old 30th September 2009, 20:40   #96
Team-BHP Support

Have a great safe drive.

If I remember correctly, the nano has different tire sizes in the front and rear.
And only one of them has a spare.
Please check and maybe carry the other as well.

Tata 'NANO' - The People's Car from Tata Motors

Front Tyre size 135/70 R12
Rear tyre size 155/65 R12
Spare tyre size 135/70 R12

Last edited by bblost : 30th September 2009 at 20:44.
Old 30th September 2009, 22:37   #97
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surprise View Post
1700 (+ o r-) kms in a 624 cc car. Reaching in 36 hrs seems to be very very difficult for me.
I agree. I am not that confident of making it - but N_C is like "Arrey main hai na" every time I voice my concern.

Let me make this clear. I have never driven long distance anywhere. Once in my life I drove from Bombay to Bangalore. In this journey I drove for 4 hours out of the 16. (there were 3 drivers) - and that too was in an Octavia, lol.

I don't know much about cars etc. I may be the star, but N_C will be the boss. lol.

And no. There will be no standby car. The thrill of it all is that I have a extremely high-level official dinner engagement in New Delhi at 20.30 on Sunday. If I miss this, the trouble will be deep.

Quote:
Car has done 600 kms......... how about the run in period, where they say that car should not be constantly driven at one speed (being such a long distance drive I assume that mostly it would be in 60-80 ranges). Will running AC for such a long intervals in such a new car will have any impact on engine? Just want to check..
Well, I have already driven it to Pune and back. Constant 90-100 all the way with the AC. Whatever damage had to be done is done

Quote:
When is the scheduled first service? Will it come half way of your long journey..say at 1000 kms
LMAO I did not think of this. The car will be serviced at a Tata centre in New Delhi, I guess.

In any case, after we're done pimping it - there'll be no warranty left.

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
So now...... how do i get one Nano, just as quick??
Oh come on Gogi. I already owe you one car. Don't add to my list, lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
My suggestion start early, and drive at 80 kph instead of aiming 90's atleast in the first half of the journey so that the car is comfy with prolonged higher speeds
We have decided to start at 0430 instead of 0500. The car is currently here, but NC will take it tomorrow and he will keep it until we're ready to depart for delhi.

And yes, I think I'll stop for a quick top-up at every nice looking pump. COCO types, heh heh.
Old 30th September 2009, 22:43   #98
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
Front Tyre size 135/70 R12
Rear tyre size 155/65 R12
Spare tyre size 135/70 R12
You are correct. The rear tyre is thicker than the front.

I am also worried about another thing.

Unlike the Nano Europa, or even the Nano shown at Auto Expo - the Indian version of the Tata Nano comes with a funny wheel/wheel hub that has only 3 wheel nuts.

YetiBlog® -  The Yeti®, Normally_Crazy and The Tata Nano drive to Delhi!-tata_nano_europa.jpg

YetiBlog® -  The Yeti®, Normally_Crazy and The Tata Nano drive to Delhi!-tatananoredsideview.jpg

Now for my pimping - I either will have to get a new wheel hub made, or I'll have to fabricate alloy wheels, or perhaps get those blank wheels and drill holes in them. I'll leave that decision upto my expert friends in Delhi.
Old 30th September 2009, 22:49   #99
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Going to be a trip to be cherished in the years to come. Kinda stuff that you'll tell your grand children about "We used to have petrol powered cars in our times. I drove to Delhi in the cheapest yet most iconic Indian car in 2009! Here's the Team-BHP linky
Fast Forward to the future. I was wondering who will the MOD of T-Bhp at that time. Jr.GTO
Old 30th September 2009, 22:53   #100
Team-BHP Support

Sam, contact Kaushik(KSM_VTEC). He drove the gypsy to Bombay to Leh. Since his cruising speed was around 80, and top around 100kmph, he can tell you driving times and such
Old 30th September 2009, 22:59   #101
Senior - BHPian

Wow !! I was busy the whole day and now I come online and see this nice surprise thread by none other than Mr. Kapasi & Gautam doing a Mumbai - Delhi run in a Nano.

It's very much do able guy's !! God speed to you.

By the way - Any chance of you coming via Agra ?
Old 30th September 2009, 23:10   #102
BHPian

This should be quite an experience ! Have a great time , and keep us posted . Looking forward to the travalogue.
Old 30th September 2009, 23:13   #103
BHPian

Hurray !! Yeti is back with a bang.sorry with a nano.

So how is the preparation for your long drive in small car going.Is it all sorted out.

Did you informed the TASS that you are going to take the nano for a long drive.I am asking this because they can give you brief description of what all things you need to be checked (before drive) and checking (while driving).

Wish you a fun filled and safe journey and will be waiting for the updates.
Old 30th September 2009, 23:47   #104
Senior - BHPian

Hey, same colour! Samepinch!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
You are correct. The rear tyre is thicker than the front.

I am also worried about another thing.

Unlike the Nano Europa, or even the Nano shown at Auto Expo - the Indian version of the Tata Nano comes with a funny wheel/wheel hub that has only 3 wheel nuts.

Now for my pimping - I either will have to get a new wheel hub made, or I'll have to fabricate alloy wheels, or perhaps get those blank wheels and drill holes in them. I'll leave that decision upto my expert friends in Delhi.
You may want to check these out. Even if the PCD doesn't match, it's a question of a few thousand rupees to make good adapter plates to up/downsize PCD, since the geometry is the same.
Attached Thumbnails
YetiBlog® -  The Yeti®, Normally_Crazy and The Tata Nano drive to Delhi!-brabussmartfortwo2008764596.jpg  

Last edited by v1p3r : 30th September 2009 at 23:48.
Old 30th September 2009, 23:59   #105
Senior - BHPian

All the best for the drive sam! I's sure this will be an experience to remember. I've done a few of these 'speed limited' drives myself, like,

1) Bangalore-Cochin
Car: 1954 Fiat Millecento!
Drove mostly at 70-80, going past (speedo indicated) 100 at some points

2) Coimbatore- Cochin
Car: A freshly overhauled Matiz
Since the car was 'running in', i had to stick to 50kmph for the better part of 250kms.

The one thing i learned from these trips is to carry tons of good music (The more active types), and snacks!

Last edited by JayD : 1st October 2009 at 00:00.
JayD is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed