Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 14th October 2009, 13:22   #466
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy View Post
4-5 bags strewn over the floor and Sam says we are carrying these too, alongwith a jerry can and 4-5 plastic bags and a cooler box. I was shocked.
Jerry can - because everyone insisted we carry it. It was of no use to us.

I had a big bag because I had to carry my suit etc. for my meetings.

The cooler box was the main thing that made sure we were happy all the way to Delhi.
We had filled it with ice and with Coke, Water, Dukes Lemonade, Chocolates, ice-cold lettuce, avocado and salami sandwiches and it was the best thing ever.

If you plan to be in the same position or doing the same thing for hours, especially of you plan to drive for hours, there's nothing like an ice-cold dukes lemonade to wake you up and feel fresh. But it must be cold enough to make your ears burn and your eyes water, lol.
Sam Kapasi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th October 2009, 17:12   #467
BHPian

Did 28 pages the last time and the rest now.
Awesome as always- NC and Sam.
The replies and other participants too.

Nano = "Na" + "No".
2 negatives make a positive.
Positive vibes all the way- NaNo FTW.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
there's nothing like an ice-cold dukes lemonade to wake you up and feel fresh. But it must be cold enough to make your ears burn and your eyes water, lol.
Old habits die hard and maybe never.
That's classic stuff imho and i feel nostalgic as well as old.
Old 14th October 2009, 17:15   #468
Senior - BHPian

As Sam explained earlier, we decide to top up the fuel in the night so that we could save those precious minutes next morning. We were looking for an early start as both of us were not sure about the speed of the car / distance we can travel and Sam had to be in Delhi by 7 pm on Sunday anyhow.

I drive since I have never driven the car before. This short spin would give me a feel of the car before we start off tomorrow.

I get into the car and find acres of leg room in the front.
Huge head room greets me too. I was liking it already.
Adjusted the seat (no height adjustments) and the controls fell to hand easily. The speedo console in the center (I aint a big fan of these consoles) freed up space behind the steering wheel to keep knicks and knacks (I hate this).
The plastics are of acceptable quality but considering the price point - they are at par for the course.
The steering is perfectly sized too, neither me nor Sam had any issues with the diameter of the steering.
Fire up the engine and I hear a Bajaj scooter creep up behind me. I look out of the window and realize it's the car engine. Yes it sounds like a Bajaj scooter to me.
The pedals are placed too close for comfort, which is surprising because there us acres of space available.
Slot the car into 1st (shift was a bit notchy) and slowly release the clutch. The car moves ahead and I get out on the street.

Finally I was driving India's wonder car.

Last edited by normally_crazy : 14th October 2009 at 17:16.
Old 14th October 2009, 17:52   #469
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
We had filled it with ice and with Coke, Water, Dukes Lemonade, Chocolates, ice-cold lettuce, avocado and salami sandwiches and it was the best thing ever.
Ice cold lettuce does not sound very appetizing! lol I'll take salami sandwiches and lemonade any day.
Old 15th October 2009, 00:09   #470
BHPian

Interesting parallel narration now, as you guyz are on your way!
Old 15th October 2009, 11:03   #471
Senior - BHPian

The winner of this trip has to be the fuel tank. EVERY one was ridiculing that all this car would do is drive from 1 bunk to another within the city. This trip was a eye opener w.r.t FE Vs Tank capacity. 15lts * 18-20KMPL = ~275Kms, which is nearly enough for a weeks city drive. MORE Than enough for a Long distance drive on NH's. Plenty of bunks within a 50Km radius. I believe the longest you go without a bunk is the Leh road where you have none for ~350Kms.

KUDOS to Nano engineers...

Last edited by bblost : 15th October 2009 at 16:23. Reason: removed bold setting for the entire text.
Old 15th October 2009, 12:45   #472
Senior - BHPian

I must say this - before I took the wheel I was with the opinion of the people who felt that the Nano would be a glorified autorickshaw.

The engine at the rear meant that the steering felt light. This was one aspect I was worried of - how would the car feel at speeds above 60 kmph ?

I was surprised with the zippy nature of the 620 odd cc engine - it had sufficient torque to be puttering in 2nd and 3rd gear.

The small tyres were a worry too and the front and rear had different sizes. They felt adequate in the city but would they hold on the highways and at sustained speeds ?

The car has a very panaromic seating position. It's high and you can have a clear view of the things around you - good glass area contributing to this factor.

The rear seat is a bench, a cushioned bench. I sat once and it was flat with no thigh support, back support was adequate.

We drove to the pump and topped up fuel and checked the air pressures according to the specified numbers on the door. The car felt immediately more softer and ride improved quite a bit. I drove around Bandra for a while getting used to the car and the attention it was generating. Reached Sam's place and crashed into bed with the alarm set for 4 am.
Old 15th October 2009, 14:39   #473
Distinguished - BHPian

Mumbai to Delhi in a Nano - reboot

Are we going to stop for lunch?
I dunno, we lost a lot of time in Navsari.
But we're making good time.
Well we have the sandwiches that Jenny packed for us.
Where?
Inside the icebox, wrapped in foil.

I drive in silence. I could not have chosen a better companion for this trip. The two of us have a quiet understanding and neither of us has to try too hard to understand or be understood.
The basis of this trip has been spontaneity and both Gautam and I have this habit of following our hearts.

Kyun?
Kya kyun?
Kyun karna hai?
Buss karna hai.
Chal karte hain.

These are more-or-less the extents of the conversation before any decision.

Let's stop somewhere under some tree and eat the sandwiches.
Chal.
Let me look for the tree, you drive.

I am driving and Gautam is sitting next to me. We have crossed Ahmedabad district and are now at the Himmatnagar exit. This place is rather busy.
A little ahead we start crossing the most delicious looking acres of farmland.

Theek hai, yahan rok de.
As I draw to a halt, we realise that we are near someone's gate.

A rather big estate gate.

A very badly made sign tells us that there are vintage cars inside. I turn to look at Gautam.

Chal... he says, dekhte hain.

We have no reason to stop here. But we just follow our hearts and enter the gate. A security guard stares curiously at the Nano and points us to the parking lot.

We walk through the estate towards where we are pointed to. Immaculately maintained, there is also a nice restaurant here, albeit it appears to be closed at this time.

We walk to the office. We must buy a ticket now.

Bhaisaab yahan kitna time lagega dekhneko? Asks gautam.
Aapke upar hai. You can take an hour, you can take all day. There are 104 cars inside.
104?
Yes.
Who owns these cars
I ask.

He looks at me like I'm ignorant. Pranlal Bhogilal.

Last edited by Sam Kapasi : 15th October 2009 at 14:43.
Sam Kapasi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th October 2009, 15:39   #474
BHPian

Hi Sam , Is this same as Ajmat sir thread on Pranlal http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/pre-19...a-gujarat.html

Last edited by Kool_Kid : 15th October 2009 at 15:41.
Old 15th October 2009, 16:18   #475
Distinguished - BHPian

A video to remember

With over 80,000 views already, this travelogue has gone on to become one of the most popular travelogues on Team-BHP - thank you for living and enjoying this with us and let us relive it through the story-telling and the videos.

I present to you a video that I suspect will be extremely popular. In this video we travel past Ahmedabad towards Himmatnagar and beyond.

On the way (as the story goes) we stop at the Pranlal Bhogilal estate.

All 104 cars featured in this estate are present in this video.

Yup, you read it right. Our little gift to Team-BHP.

ENJOY!

Sam Kapasi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th October 2009, 16:33   #476
Senior - BHPian

superb video Sam, what i heard Gautam saying what ever the reason we went inside to see the estate, may be that was TeamBhp vibes to showcase us some cool collections of cars too on your trip.Cool one.
Old 16th October 2009, 13:59   #477
BHPian

Quote:
You've bought a what??

The problem is that we cannot leave on Friday as NC has commitments. We must leave on Saturday.
The problem is that we cannot reach on Monday as I have some commitments in New Delh on Sunday Evening.

No. It is clear. We have 36 hours to reach Delhi in a car that does 80kmph.

And so begins our travelogue.
Wow! What a beginning!!

Old 16th October 2009, 14:04   #478
BHPian

"Quote"

An adventure, but a safe adventure nonetheless. I guarantee you that there will be no bad environments. And yes, these sort of adventures are the core of this forum. I see no harm in posting them for public consumption.

"Unquote"

Touché. More power to you, SK...
Old 16th October 2009, 18:17   #479
Distinguished - BHPian

Mumbai to Delhi in the Nano - End of Day One

Time passes by faster than we know it.

It has been over 12 hours on the road - still feels fresh and new. The day has passed between tomfoolery, ipod jugglery and more. To say this car is comfortable would be an understatement.

I am 6 feet 3.5 inches tall. Usually I am uncomfortable in any car after a few hours. This little Nano has given me no reason to complain.

We cross into Rajasthan. I am filled with memories and love for my birthplace. It seems like such a shame to go to Udaipur and not stop at all to explore...
Still, we have an agenda. Perhaps it would make sense not to stop inside the city, perhaps at some highway motel?

Sunset.
Stop the car.
Gautam pulls over and we both step out to soak in the sunset.

YetiBlog® -  The Yeti®, Normally_Crazy and The Tata Nano drive to Delhi!-dsc_33931_l.jpg

Back on the road - Udaipur is not far away now. Just as well, we're not too fond of night driving.

In an hour we're at a pump. Better to fill up now than look for a pump in the morning.
Udaipur kitna door hai?
Buss 50 kilometre aur... iss taraf
- he points in our direction.

Looks like we're going to be there by 7.30 or 7.45pm. Pretty good.

This one?
Nah.

We've crossed 3 or 4 motels without stopping. Sometimes I say no, sometimes Gautam says no. Neither of us knows why.

So now?

We're at the bypass junction. Left takes us into Udaipur and right towards Ajmer, where we want to be tomorrow.
Chal andar.

We get off the highway into the narrow old lanes of Udaipur. Maybe this was not such a good idea after all...

15 minutes later, we're standing at the reception of a rather impressive looking Hotel Paras Mahal. It turns out to be the perfect halt.
Nice hotel, good food, clean rooms with a Rajasthani ethnic touch.

Funny thing is that this hotel is full of Germans. NC and I are the only Indians apart from the staff. We check in, shower, enjoy a lovely meal at the restaurant and a quiet smoke in the garden.

The weather is lovely.

Before we sleep, we complete one important errand.

Could you arrange some ice for us?
Ice?
Yes, Ice.
You want ice cubes?
Ice cubes are also ok, or an ice block.
OK how much?
5 kilos?
OK. Ho jayega.

Will you be on duty?
I ask the reception manager.
No, but I will leave a note for my colleague.
Please make sure you have it, we will leave at 5.30am.
Yes don't worry.
How much do I pay?
100 rupees.

I pay and we take the levator up to our room and crash. Best to get some rest tonight. We're only through about half-way.
Old 16th October 2009, 19:36   #480
Distinguished - BHPian

And here's the last video of Day one - Into rajasthan, Udaipur and check in.

Cheers,

Sam

Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks