Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th October 2009, 12:21   #1
BANNED

Yeh Bullet, yeh Beach aur yeh Barsaat - Bangalore to Gokarna and back

This wasn't planned, at least not this way. I didn't expect my "brand new" raincoat to rip into shreds within hours of its first wear. I didn't expect so much rain in October. I didn't expect touring dark town roads of a coastal town in search of accommodation in spite of booking the best known one well in advance.
But then, I didnt expect so much fun either.

What follows is a short travelouge of 3 people on 2 bullets from Bangalore to Gokarna and back.
Old 6th October 2009, 12:25   #2
Senior - BHPian

ROFL!!! Seems like all things went the exact opposite of how you had planned it!

Gokarna was on my radar for the last weekend, but changed plans towards the end.

Go on; start the details.
Old 6th October 2009, 12:47   #3
BANNED

Bangalore mein aapka swagat hai..bahar ka taapmaan...

We,that is me and my girlfriend,dread peak tourist seasons, so when I called her to Bangalore from Delhi where she belongs to, her first reaction was "I will not go to Mysore to attend the Dussehra functions".... Which was ok with me as well since the plan was different.

Back in June, my visualisation of October was cool weather, green vistas, clean surroundings and above all, clear bright skies all around. But as all of us know, the rain gods came late this year and have been wrecking havoc everywhere. Raincoats continue to sell, umbrellas are still out, and sunny days are a sight to behold.
The plan was simple. I pick her up from BIAL on the 26th, we rest for the evening, leave for Gokarna with another friend accompanying us from Bangalore the next day via a sneak peek at Jog on the 27th, stay at Gokarna for the next 2-3 days, visit the neighbouring beaches and temples and ride back to Bangalore on the 30th after which she leaves for Delhi on the 2nd.
Over our numerous biking trips, we have learnt the art of riding with minimum luggage, which I feel, is commendable for a girl,riding for 4-5 hours non stop across an assortment of roads and eating whatever food is available at a roadside dhaba/hotel/motel/gaadi/bakery etc.

Preparations appeared to be pretty meticulous from my side. I had booked what I felt till date, was the best resort at Gokarna, the Om Beach Resort. I had a booking number and the manager's name and cell phone number. I had planned the route in such a way that we take a look at Jog and then move on to Honnavar before arriving at Gokarna.I had also confirmed with a friend that we would stay at his place on the evening of her arrival at BIAL.
So, my 26th was spent on washing and oiling Don(My bullet) along with a new battery as the old one had gone kaput quite some time ago. In fact Don had been hibernating for almost 3 months now as I use the BMTC for my daily commute and invariably have some friend or the other coming down on the weekends in a car or a bike.

The flight was scheduled to land at 1900HRS at BIAL and I was all set to leave my house at 1630HRS.Tank bag on tank, jacket, shoes, helmet, goggles, papers, everything. A pit stop at Devaiah Park to pick up foreign chocolates from a colleauge, and I was off. The road to BIAL was supposed to be a signal free road as per its concept but, concepts are, well, concepts. One look at the Yelhanka New town approach road and the traffic lined up on it gives me shivers.

I was however, zipping by on the main road at a comfortable 80kph which is the max speed permitted on the right lane and reached the airport approach road. The time was 18:25Hrs.
Old 6th October 2009, 15:05   #4
BANNED

Bullet chale to duniya raasta de.

I didnt want to park the Don in the 2 wheeler parking, carry my bag to the lobby and bring her bag with her luggage so I decided to wait till the plane would land(she would call me) and then ride as close as possible to the driveway and pick her up.
It was one of those times when time seems so slow. I was looking at a beautiful road with many beautiful cars passing by. The weather, though overcast,was cool.I knew I would meet her in the next few minutes and we'd be together for the next week, yet, I was impatient, excited, elated, a lot of things at the same time.
My cell phone rang...It was her.

I rode on to the airport and neared the CISF barricade/Chicane through which all vehicles were passing and a CISF Jawan stopped me.
"Saab, yahan se bike allowed nahi hai".
Suddenly, an inspector comes ahead and says, "Bullet hai, jaane do".

I am at the privileged pick up point bang opposite the main arrival gate with Don and all I see here are VIP, police and defense vehicles behind and in front of me, and then, I see her smiling.

To be continued...
Old 6th October 2009, 16:54   #5
Senior - BHPian

Thats good start Dev, before thread get deleted or closed, load some pictures. Travelogue should have pictures

Ravi.
Old 6th October 2009, 18:04   #6
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravibhat View Post
Thats good start Dev, before thread get deleted or closed, load some pictures. Travelogue should have pictures

Ravi.
Thank you Ravi.
Unfortunately, my camera is currently not in the country and the camera we used is my friend's. I will upload the pics once I get it from him.
Old 6th October 2009, 18:19   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thats good start Dev, before thread get deleted or closed,
and why would that be??

Dev, nice to hear from you, please post some pictures too.
Old 6th October 2009, 19:44   #8
BHPian

Nice start there Dev.

Waiting for the next part.
Old 9th October 2009, 16:09   #9
BANNED

We got onto the bike and my cell phone rang. It was a TBHPian calling...some calls never hurt though. Gave me a chance to show her that TBHP is not all about online friends but also real life bonds as well.I had informed my friend that we would be staying at his house at Bannerghatta Road for the night before leaving for Gokarna the following morning. He and his wife had gone to watch a few Puja celebrations at Ulsoor, Koramangla and other places and had told me that they would be back by 11PM.

We started to ride out of BIAL premises.Don's planted ride, Cool breeze, the ATC beaming its lights in myriad colors, wide roads and yes, she sitting behind me. It was a feeling to cherish.

It was Dussehra and Bangalore was all lit up. We soon spotted the new Bhagini Grand (I Guess) beside the CCD and decided to have a relaxed dinner. It is a cool place with circular open air restaurant and big projector screen on one of the walls.

We settled down at one of the garden chairs and I ordered egg pakodas and chilled lemonade.
Our waiter had bet against Pakistan totalling 300 runs and was about to lose his bet.
We talked a lot and ate a lot. It had been 6 months since we had met each other and this felt so nice.
An open air restaurant on a cool September evening with India playing Pakistan and the 2 of us together.

Though, life is not without suprises. We made the mistake of ordering Hot Chocolate Fudge. The dish served was not even distantly related to it. It was a huge cup of vanilla ice cream topped with nuts and something brown which looked like grated chocolate.
I generally do not waste food unless it is spoilt so I finished it but promptly told the manager and he was good enough to apologise and not charge for it.

Done with dinner, we moved into the city through Mekhri Circle, Malleshwaram, Vidhan Soudha, MG Road, Jayadeva and reached L&T South City at 11:25Hrs. I rode straight into my friend's basement parking.....not expecting this...

His car was not at its parking slot......

To be continued.
Old 9th October 2009, 16:31   #10
BANNED

Golden Bell, nahi nahi Rotten Hell...

Which meant that they hadnt yet returned.
Now,waiting at a basement parking at 1130 at night with your super tired girlfriend on a bike with a plan to leave at 0530HRS the next day is not a good scene.
I looked at her nervously. She was humming some tune which I guess was playing in her cellphone's FM radio and seemed ok, at least not too perturbed. I looked at her again, this time she knew something was not right. I told her that I need to call them.
I called them and came to know that they were stuck in traffic and would take at least an hour to reach as per their current estimates.

We decided to check into a hotel. Since our other friend who was to accompany us was at Koramangla, we decided to stay at a hotel there. We rode to the Forum and checked into "Golden Bell" because we were too tired and had many things up our sleeve the next morning much more important than scouting for a good hotel. And we hardly had 6 more hours to go before we started.

I have stayed at hotels of all ranges. 5 stars to roadside dhabas and my definition of a comfortable hotel, I feel is this:
Airy, clean, simple, cozy room with a clean washroom if it has one( Dhabas don't...!!!!).

Golden Bell was just the opposite of all this. Damp, humid, suffocating, and a washroom full of stains. In one word Yuck.
And INR:1250.00 per night for this, Double Yuck.

Nevertheless we were so tired that we drifted off to sleep. An hour later, I felt strange. As though my neck was straining. I got up and came to know that it was the super soft ( read unhealthy rubberized) mattress and pillow. Priti, however was too tired I guess to notice this and was sleeping soundly, but since she doesn't use a pillow at all, she wouldn't have felt it.

I spread the blanket on the floor and lay down for the rest of the night. Tomorrow was going to be an eventful day.
Old 9th October 2009, 17:16   #11
Senior - BHPian

So, Golden Bells, is just the bells, eh? I think it is about time we have a thread which talks about places where one should not stay!

Good that you noticed the super-soft pillow a hour later and not in the morning, by when I am sure you might have got a sprained neck!
Old 30th November 2009, 10:59   #12
BHPian

Hey devdath, what happened next? Please complete your Travelogue.....
Old 30th November 2009, 11:28   #13
Senior - BHPian

"Dev" when are you doing all these on your Scorpio?????. Did you remove the dent on the door.
Old 30th November 2009, 12:45   #14
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by devrajman View Post
Hey devdath, what happened next? Please complete your Travelogue.....
I didnt know that this thread was still alive. I stopped seeing views and reactions and had hence stopped writing on this long ago. :-(

Quote:
Originally Posted by shishir_bn View Post
"Dev" when are you doing all these on your Scorpio?????. Did you remove the dent on the door.
Plan to do it real soon but leaves are an issue dude..
Old 30th November 2009, 12:55   #15
BHPian

Hey Dev
What happened next ? Please upload the pics ASAP and continue.

Regards
MP

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks