Team-BHP > Travelogues

Search this Thread
Old 9th October 2009, 22:36   #31
BHPian

Day 5 - 5th October - Adieu Coastal Karnataka

What do you feel on the last day of a trip?

I almost feel same every time. I feel like making a small hut for myself next to the best viewpoint and stay there forever. Never go back to the miserable dump (read City) I come from. Never get stuck in traffic again. Never let the job take over my time.

Wish I could do that someday, but life is not a dream, it's reality, every moment of it. So when the end day is reached, you'll have to come back. Back to what we call Civilization. Back to the grind of what we call life.

Anyway, philosophy and wishful thinking doesn't increase the number of holidays, nor it gives us absolute freedom. So we prepare for heading back to Bangalore.

Woke up and got ready by 8 and after having good breakfast we say good bye to Om Beach resort. Back to NH17, we take right and start heading south. Honnavar is where we will get off this road and take left on to NH206. We plan to follow NH206 to Sagar, Shimoga, Bhadrabati, Arsikere, Tumkur and join NH4 to Bangalore.

Now this was a day when there was no rain. Clouds and Sun were in playful mood. Honnavar came and went and we started our journey on deserted NH206. Almost no traffic on this road, I don't know why. The road was in superb condition.

The drive was very enjoyable through the jungle and ghat sections. On the way we spotted a waterfall and stopped to have a look.

I suspect it's the same fall we saw from NH17. Here are couple of pics.
Coastal Karnataka after Monsoon-dscf2829.jpg

Coastal Karnataka after Monsoon-dscf2830.jpg

A strange fruit
Coastal Karnataka after Monsoon-dscf2831.jpg

The fall made us stop again after couple of Kilometres.
Coastal Karnataka after Monsoon-dscf2832.jpg

I have never seen this flower before.
Coastal Karnataka after Monsoon-dscf2834.jpg

We keep on going, it's a long way home.

Coming up.. unknown viewpoint on NH206.
Old 9th October 2009, 22:53   #32
Team-BHP Support

Awesome pictures! I have been through all these stretches but never seen their splendor in rain!

Last edited by ampere : 9th October 2009 at 22:56.
Old 10th October 2009, 09:06   #33
Team-BHP Support

How is Summer Sands doing nowadays?
It was pretty sad years ago when we went there for Apple computer campaign shooting.
Old 10th October 2009, 12:11   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudra Sen View Post
How is Summer Sands doing nowadays?
It was pretty sad years ago when we went there for Apple computer campaign shooting.
I stayed twice there this year and was pleased with the accommodation and service. Rooms were not that great, but ok. Food was excellent.
Old 10th October 2009, 16:19   #35
BHPian

I have never bean to Costal areas of Mangalore, but once i had come till BC road for a friends marriage, your thread has got me interested in checking out the place!
Old 10th October 2009, 16:51   #36
rippergeo

The best 5 years of my life were spent in this region of india. i keep wishing I could go down there again, but hearing the horror stories about the road conditions is a real dampener. Thankfully there's threads like these to vicariously relive those days.

Old 10th October 2009, 21:33   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majic View Post
I have never bean to Costal areas of Mangalore, but once i had come till BC road for a friends marriage, your thread has got me interested in checking out the place!
I would encourage you to visit Coastal Karnataka. All the other beach destinations mostly are overcrowded and exploited to the last extent. Comparatively Coastal Karnataka is less crowded with serene beaches and beauty of Western Ghat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rippergeo View Post
The best 5 years of my life were spent in this region of india. i keep wishing I could go down there again, but hearing the horror stories about the road conditions is a real dampener. Thankfully there's threads like these to vicariously relive those days.
Thank you.
Old 10th October 2009, 21:49   #38
BHPian

Unknown Viewpoint on NH206

We are waiting for that place, we don't know the name of. It has a raised concrete platform and comes on the right side of the road. It has a magnificent view to offer.

I kept repeating these lines to my in laws and all of us got impatient. We take every turn in anticipation of seeing the raised platform. After a while we reach there and climb the narrow, slippery steps to the platform.

I already mentioned that it was a cloudy day. In our last visit it was not so. So I'll share both sets of pictures here.

I have seen this kind of views only in movies. Here we experience it in person.
From this trip.
Coastal Karnataka after Monsoon-dscf2837.jpg
Coastal Karnataka after Monsoon-dscf2838.jpg
Coastal Karnataka after Monsoon-dscf2840.jpg

From our last trip.
Coastal Karnataka after Monsoon-image1610.jpg
Coastal Karnataka after Monsoon-image1611.jpg
Coastal Karnataka after Monsoon-image1615.jpg
Coastal Karnataka after Monsoon-image1616.jpg
Coastal Karnataka after Monsoon-image1618.jpg
Coastal Karnataka after Monsoon-image1619.jpg

Now, that was amazing and we kept on talking about the view till we reached Jog. Jog was experience by itself.

Coming up next.. Jog falls in full glory
Old 10th October 2009, 21:54   #39
Senior - BHPian

Kishore some lovely pics there!

btw my friend i guess i belong to the group of settling down in some nice place and i know many too but dont see it happening very soon
Old 12th October 2009, 15:46   #40
BHPian

Jog

We reached there after climbing down the hill.

Here it says, "Welcome to the World Famous Jog Falls".
How famous is it?
I said, pretty famous, but you cannot compare it to Niagara.

I was wrong, the fury of the Jog on that day could easily be compared to Niagara.

We saw cloud on our way and was thinking that another view will be ruined by cloud, just like Agumbe. But it was cloud created by Jog itself and would clear every now and then, giving opportunity to take pictures.

I won't go describing how it looked like. The pictures are there to cover for my insufficient vocabulary.

Coastal Karnataka after Monsoon-dscf2841.jpg

Coastal Karnataka after Monsoon-dscf2842.jpg

Coastal Karnataka after Monsoon-dscf2843.jpg

Coastal Karnataka after Monsoon-dscf2844.jpg

Coastal Karnataka after Monsoon-dscf2849.jpg

Coastal Karnataka after Monsoon-dscf2848.jpg

Coastal Karnataka after Monsoon-dscf2850.jpg

Coastal Karnataka after Monsoon-dscf2851.jpg

Coastal Karnataka after Monsoon-dscf2865.jpg

After enjoying Jog for an hour, we started back towards Bangalore. It was an uneventful journey. Wanted to reach Bangalore late in the evening to avoid NH4 traffic, so we stopped at couple of places to have tea and had dinner in Tumkur Cafe Coffee day.

That is the end of this travelogue. I'll post a summary of the whole trip in a different post.

Last edited by KishoreC : 12th October 2009 at 15:51.
Old 13th October 2009, 13:23   #41
BHPian

Wonderful report, Kishore. Jog looks breathtaking.
Old 7th November 2009, 08:11   #42
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by KishoreC View Post
14 damn Hair Pin bends we crossed and reached Sunset Point. As Samurai mentioned in a post in this thread, it should have been named "Fog Point". The disappointment was such that within 5 minutes we were back in the car and I was turning the vehicle to come back down.
Since yesterday morning and even today morning I can see the Western ghats (including Agumbe) from my house. That means Sunset was visible from the so called Sunset point yesterday. This happens at the most 10 days in a year.
Old 7th November 2009, 08:36   #43
Senior - BHPian

Nice shots and a good log, Kishore.
Jog is looking great.

Agumbe mostly is foggy like Samurai said. Samurai had warned me on my trip not to keep much hopes of a sunset, else I would have been very disappointed.
Old 7th November 2009, 13:47   #44
BHPian

You are lucky you atleast got to see the Jog in all its glory. As for the elusive Agumbe Sunset, all you can do is salvage the situation by gorging on half a dozen Chettambade at the checkpost. Ask Samurai, he sometimes goes there only for these!
Old 9th November 2009, 08:18   #45
Team-BHP Support

There is a rare clarity these days. For the 4th continuous day, we can still see the western ghats. Did anybody swing by Agumbe this weekend?

Today I decided to shoot couple of shots, first one from the first floor window, second from the terrace.

Coastal Karnataka after Monsoon-pb093744.jpg

Coastal Karnataka after Monsoon-pb093747.jpg

Last edited by Samurai : 9th November 2009 at 08:19.

Most Viewed